Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8809
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:56 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:So it seems that "Vegeta struggles with Topp, unlocks a new Blue power-up, beats him, and then jobs to Jiren" was in the outline. Interesting.
It probably was, but it seems that only the anime decided to make a brand new transformation out of it.
I'm wondering how broad the outline is. Like, for example, I think that Toriyama's outline for the Hit fight may have said something like "Goku fights Hit with power ten times greater than Vegeta's", and Toei had that be via Goku literally multiplying his power with a new pseudo-form (SSBKK) while the manga had it be via SSB being a flawed form that can't be switched on and off easily like Vegeta tried to do (so Vegeta was just weaker than he normally was). Ditto with Toppo; Toriyama might have written "Toppo is powerful enough to be a God of Destruction candidate, and can turn on their signature energy, and a full-power SSB struggles with him"; Toei chose to represent that as Toppo transforming into a ten-foot tall black and purple "God of Destruction" form, while the manga just had him being that strong regularly.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

User avatar
Zamasu55
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by Zamasu55 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:04 pm

We can definitely say that, in the manga, 17 is Ssj3 tier, nothing more.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:45 pm

I feel like Toriyama's drafts just say stuff like:

"17 has gotten much stronger since they last fought"

"Gohan has power comparable to Goku"

"Kale surprises blue goku with her power but she is no real threat to him"

Then Toyotaro and Toei interpret that however.

Hence anime 17 being ssg-ssb tier while in the manga he's ss3+

Gohan was pushed up to high ssg-fpssb tier in anime/manga

Kale in the manga was no threat to top tiers cause her form was basically kaioken on steroids + predictability, in the anime her full max power was slightly below ssg goku

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:58 pm

When Dyspo said he worn out from tangling with that kid earlier was he referring to Android 17?

So Android 17 > Dyspo?

User avatar
SayianBeyondGod
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:38 am

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by SayianBeyondGod » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:02 pm

I have something I have to get off my chest. In episode 125 we see Toppo being unaffected or pushed by 17's rapid ki blast, yet in episode 127 Jiren was being pushed back by it. Does this mean, GoD Toppo is more stronger than Jiren in episode 127 or what?
Last edited by SayianBeyondGod on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:03 pm

Bullza wrote:When Dyspo said he worn out from tangling with that kid earlier was he referring to Android 17?

So Android 17 > Dyspo?
17 >= Dyspo but 17 never gets tired while Dyspo does. The best feat manga dyspo had was easily handling ssj2 goku, 17's best is putting the fear of god in ssj3 goku so yeah probably more or less the same if not 17 with a slight edge

RecolorSaiyan
Regular
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:05 pm

SayianBeyondGod wrote:I have something I have to get off my chest. In episode 125 we see Toppo being unaffected or pushed by 17's rapid ki blast, yet in episode 127 Jiren was being pushed back by it. Does this mean, GoD Toppo is more stronger than Jiren in episode 127 or what?

Toppo was coated in hakai energy which destroyed 17's blast, and episode 127 was "17's episode" if you will so i think you just gotta accept some inconsistencies.
However episode 127 jiren powered up to a level where he completely trashed SSBE Vegeta, SSB KKX20 goku, G Freeza and 17 at the same time, he was way above GOD Toppo

User avatar
SayianBeyondGod
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:38 am

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by SayianBeyondGod » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:21 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:
SayianBeyondGod wrote:I have something I have to get off my chest. In episode 125 we see Toppo being unaffected or pushed by 17's rapid ki blast, yet in episode 127 Jiren was being pushed back by it. Does this mean, GoD Toppo is more stronger than Jiren in episode 127 or what?

Toppo was coated in hakai energy which destroyed 17's blast, and episode 127 was "17's episode" if you will so i think you just gotta accept some inconsistencies.
However episode 127 jiren powered up to a level where he completely trashed SSBE Vegeta, SSB KKX20 goku, G Freeza and 17 at the same time, he was way above GOD Toppo
That still wouldn't mean ki blasts would be completely nulified, as if the ki blasts were strong enough they could've pushed him back like Jiren. It wouldn't make sense for a weaker opponent to be unfazed by ki blast but yet have a stronger one be pushed. Supposely inconsistencies such as trading blows or taking blows could be explained as Jiren holding back, or the fact the weaker opponents can now surivie blows from stronger opponents as evident to Base Goku taking Jiren ki powered punches and claiming they were the hardest attack he had felt.

As for the latter argument, I don't see that as a reason to say 127 Jiren is stronger than God Toppo as Toppo trashed Golden Freeza and 17 as well. SSBE Vegeta was fatguied during that fight acrooding to Jiren as he doubted his victory base off his wounds. Considering GoD Toppo was overwhelming SSBE Vegeta earlier in the fight even when holding back(as belmod told him to fire more powerful hakai blast later on), the same would've been done with SSBKK Goku if not worse.
Last edited by SayianBeyondGod on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:39 am

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by Nevaeh » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:29 pm

Bullza wrote:Jiren says that Vegeta fought harder than Goku in his Ascended state from a moment ago.

So that has to be the "Kaio-ken" Blue right? Couldn't be Ultra Instinct because he hasn't fought him yet.
I'd assume so. All Goku did in omen was dodge his punch

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 546
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by ricky84 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:47 pm

Why do so many fans think the manga nerfing characters (except Roshi) somehow makes it better? It doesn't add anything to the fights at all nor does it make the characters better written. Ironically, despite Toyotaro nerfing all the characters compared to the anime, the fights in the manga tend to actually be less clever & strategic than their anime counterparts (Goku vs Hit being the biggest example).
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

User avatar
dragon boss z
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:09 pm

Zamasu55 wrote:We can definitely say that, in the manga, 17 is Ssj3 tier, nothing more.
Ya, all he really did was fight Dyspo off screen (Dyspo's best feat was fighting ssj2 Goku I believe), and beat some fodder.
Bergamo wrote:DBS Manga Tier list
Jiren+ tier: FP Jiren
Jiren tier: UI Sign Goku = Jiren
MSSB+ tier: Blue Vegeta(evolution)>FP Hit(time lag)>Blue Goku(power stressed)
MSSB tier: Blue Goku/Vegeta = Toppo = Hit > FP Kale* = Kefla = Gohan
MSSB- tier: MSSB Goku(non-serious) = SS Kale > Golden Frieza(non serious)
This is mine right now

full power Jiren
GoD, Jiren, UI omen Goku
SSBE Vegeta, powered up MSSB Goku
MSSB Goku/Vegeta, Hit, Golden Frieza, Toppo, ssj Kefla, Gohan (Kefla and Gohan could be above or below this tier as well, it's hard to tell)
Dyspo, 17, ssj3 Goku, ssj Kale (due to regulation problems)
ssj2 Goku/Vegeta, Anilaza?
ssj Caulifla/Cabba, final form Frieza, Magetta
base Goku/Vegeta, Frost
Piccolo, 18, base Caulifla/Cabba, holding back Gohan, Roshi with knock off UI
trio de danger, magical girls, pride troopers
Krillin, Tien

User avatar
ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:47 am

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by ssj3kakarot » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:13 pm

Nevaeh wrote:
Bullza wrote:Jiren says that Vegeta fought harder than Goku in his Ascended state from a moment ago.

So that has to be the "Kaio-ken" Blue right? Couldn't be Ultra Instinct because he hasn't fought him yet.
I'd assume so. All Goku did in omen was dodge his punch
Jiren says " You've fought back harder than any, besides son Goku in his ascended state a moment ago".

Either way, it doesn't make sense. Goku clearly didn't do better vs Jiren when he was maxed out. And as Omen, all he did was dodge, as was state earlier.

Maybe Jiren is going crazy?
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

User avatar
dragon boss z
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:22 pm

Bullza wrote:When Dyspo said he worn out from tangling with that kid earlier was he referring to Android 17?
So Android 17 > Dyspo?
I would say they are about the same with 17 having the edge.
ricky84 wrote:Why do so many fans think the manga nerfing characters (except Roshi) somehow makes it better? It doesn't add anything to the fights at all nor does it make the characters better written. Ironically, despite Toyotaro nerfing all the characters compared to the anime, the fights in the manga tend to actually be less clever & strategic than their anime counterparts (Goku vs Hit being the biggest example).
It depends what you mean by nerf. I think the powerscaling should be nerfed, but not the feats. Like Dyspo and Toppo not being able to jump back to the stage from that distance was ridiculous. Ssj Vegeta not being able to lift 1,000 tons was also dumb. However I think the whole (he is x times stronger than him) shouldn't be abused. Characters don't need to be hypothetically millions of times stronger than the previous ones, what they need is to prove they are actually stronger with on panel feats.

User avatar
prince212
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 790
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: wild west

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by prince212 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:29 pm

ssj3kakarot wrote:
Nevaeh wrote:
Bullza wrote:Jiren says that Vegeta fought harder than Goku in his Ascended state from a moment ago.

So that has to be the "Kaio-ken" Blue right? Couldn't be Ultra Instinct because he hasn't fought him yet.
I'd assume so. All Goku did in omen was dodge his punch
Jiren says " You've fought back harder than any, besides son Goku in his ascended state a moment ago".

Either way, it doesn't make sense. Goku clearly didn't do better vs Jiren when he was maxed out. And as Omen, all he did was dodge, as was state earlier.

Maybe Jiren is going crazy?
I don’t think he’s going crazy ... I think he’s got perception, same as goku and vegeta knew that jiren was the big fish even before watching him fighting, in the introduction of the tournament. But yeap something is weird if he’s talking about fighting back , when goku never fought him back ... just he perceived goku ultra instinct as the bigger enemy in that particular moment when he dodge what was supposed to be a final blow
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:51 pm

Would you say Jiren up to this point has been above Beerus? Or has he surpassed Beerus with this Full Power form that he seems to have at the end of the chapter?

This Ultra Instinct Goku probably isn't stronger than Beerus right?

On a side note where you would you place Ultimate Gohan in comparison to Goku? Weaker than Super Saiyan God? Stronger than that but weaker than Super Saiyan Blue? He isn't supposed to be as strong as Super Saiyan Blue from what I recall.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:59 pm

Bullza wrote:Would you say Jiren up to this point has been above Beerus? Or has he surpassed Beerus with this Full Power form that he seems to have at the end of the chapter?

This Ultra Instinct Goku probably isn't stronger than Beerus right?

On a side note where you would you place Ultimate Gohan in comparison to Goku? Weaker than Super Saiyan God? Stronger than that but weaker than Super Saiyan Blue? He isn't supposed to be as strong as Super Saiyan Blue from what I recall.

I don’t think it said he went full power , I think that’s a fan assumption.

Gohan in the manga is slightly below CSSB Goku

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8809
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:37 pm

Bullza wrote:Would you say Jiren up to this point has been above Beerus? Or has he surpassed Beerus with this Full Power form that he seems to have at the end of the chapter?

This Ultra Instinct Goku probably isn't stronger than Beerus right?

On a side note where you would you place Ultimate Gohan in comparison to Goku? Weaker than Super Saiyan God? Stronger than that but weaker than Super Saiyan Blue? He isn't supposed to be as strong as Super Saiyan Blue from what I recall.
Stronger than CSSB. Vados said Kefla was possibly the strongest fighter there after sensing/seeing Vegeta and Toppo go at each other full force. He's obviously below both UIS Goku and Not-SSBE Vegeta though.

Here's a question: were Vegeta and Goku confirmed to be the same strength in the same form back in the Zamasu arc? As I recall, Goku's been slacking off for a year while Vegeta has been training (possibly with the ROSAT), yet by the ToP arc they're equals.

Part of me thinks Jiren was stronger than Beerus from the beginning. CSSB Vegeta being able to land a hit on Beerus (before getting decked, but still) seems like an indication that they're approaching his level. Yet Goku and Vegeta, even after amplifying their powers considerably, could not remotely affect Jiren.
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:39 am

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by Nevaeh » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:12 am

Bullza wrote:Would you say Jiren up to this point has been above Beerus? Or has he surpassed Beerus with this Full Power form that he seems to have at the end of the chapter?

This Ultra Instinct Goku probably isn't stronger than Beerus right?

On a side note where you would you place Ultimate Gohan in comparison to Goku? Weaker than Super Saiyan God? Stronger than that but weaker than Super Saiyan Blue? He isn't supposed to be as strong as Super Saiyan Blue from what I recall.
Hard to say. He's delt with CSSB level fighters a lot easier than Beerus has that's for sure tho

User avatar
Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 968
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by Bergamo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:19 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Bullza wrote:Would you say Jiren up to this point has been above Beerus? Or has he surpassed Beerus with this Full Power form that he seems to have at the end of the chapter?

This Ultra Instinct Goku probably isn't stronger than Beerus right?

On a side note where you would you place Ultimate Gohan in comparison to Goku? Weaker than Super Saiyan God? Stronger than that but weaker than Super Saiyan Blue? He isn't supposed to be as strong as Super Saiyan Blue from what I recall.
Stronger than CSSB. Vados said Kefla was possibly the strongest fighter there after sensing/seeing Vegeta and Toppo go at each other full force. He's obviously below both UIS Goku and Not-SSBE Vegeta though.

Here's a question: were Vegeta and Goku confirmed to be the same strength in the same form back in the Zamasu arc? As I recall, Goku's been slacking off for a year while Vegeta has been training (possibly with the ROSAT), yet by the ToP arc they're equals.
Gohan is said to be weaker than Goku, and he's equal to Kefla, therefore Kefla is weaker than Goku. Vados hyped up Kefla before she fought any big hitters.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:36 am

Yeah I recall Krillin saying something that implied Gohan was not as strong as Goku but could be.

Post Reply