Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:22 pm

So, yeah. Trailer previews make Broly into a titan of power that would make even Jiren pause. And that's without going regular or legendary SSJ.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:28 pm

PFM18 wrote:
MKCSTEALTH wrote:After the latest trailer, I think it's likely the fights in this movie will consist of

Base Broly (no rage amp) > Base Goku and Base Vegeta
God Goku and God Vegeta > Base Broly
Rage Broly > God Goku, God Vegeta, Golden Frieza
Blue Goku and Blue Vegeta > Rage Broly
SSJ Broly > Blue Goku and Blue Vegeta individually
Blue Goku and Vegeta teaming up > SSJ Broly
Full Power Broly > Blue Goku and Vegeta teaming up
Gogeta Blue >/= Full Power Broly
UI Goku > Weakened from Gogeta Full Power Broly

That's how I'm imagining the movie panning out. I would find it very odd if we don't see at least a few minutes of UI or even MUI Goku by the end to finish off a weakened Broly. I think the highlight of this movie will be Gogeta Blue vs Full Power Broly
what about SSBE and SSBKK? do you not think they'll appear? I think it could be:

Rage Broly~SSG Goku and Vegeta
SSJ Broly>SSB Goku and Vegeta
SSBE Vegeta and SSBKK Goku>SSJ Broly
LSSJ Broly>>>SSBE Vegeta and SSBKK Goku

I honestly don't think those two will make an appearance. It seems like the focus is going to be keeping Goku and Vegeta at Blue fighting together for Gogeta. It's always possible but I doubt it

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:34 pm

MKCSTEALTH wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
MKCSTEALTH wrote:After the latest trailer, I think it's likely the fights in this movie will consist of

Base Broly (no rage amp) > Base Goku and Base Vegeta
God Goku and God Vegeta > Base Broly
Rage Broly > God Goku, God Vegeta, Golden Frieza
Blue Goku and Blue Vegeta > Rage Broly
SSJ Broly > Blue Goku and Blue Vegeta individually
Blue Goku and Vegeta teaming up > SSJ Broly
Full Power Broly > Blue Goku and Vegeta teaming up
Gogeta Blue >/= Full Power Broly
UI Goku > Weakened from Gogeta Full Power Broly

That's how I'm imagining the movie panning out. I would find it very odd if we don't see at least a few minutes of UI or even MUI Goku by the end to finish off a weakened Broly. I think the highlight of this movie will be Gogeta Blue vs Full Power Broly
what about SSBE and SSBKK? do you not think they'll appear? I think it could be:

I honestly don't think those two will make an appearance. It seems like the focus is going to be keeping Goku and Vegeta at Blue fighting together for Gogeta. It's always possible but I doubt it
Lol I've been hearing this so much but I hope they are wrong. it would fuck up continuity and scaling if Vegeta were to achieve a way stronger, higher version of SSB but just suddenly not use it.

Freezerbaby
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freezerbaby » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:31 pm

PFM18 wrote:
MKCSTEALTH wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

Lol I've been hearing this so much but I hope they are wrong. it would fuck up continuity and scaling if Vegeta were to achieve a way stronger, higher version of SSB but just suddenly not use it.
Easy, they just will make him use a stronger version of ssb, one that equals to ssbe, just as standard cell games ssj vegeta was stronger than ascended ssj vegeta.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:45 pm

Freezerbaby wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
MKCSTEALTH wrote:

Easy, they just will make him use a stronger version of ssb, one that equals to ssbe, just as standard cell games ssj vegeta was stronger than ascended ssj vegeta.
Uhh what makes you think that? what would this stronger version of SSB be? How could they do this in such a one-off way?

Freezerbaby
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freezerbaby » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:50 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Freezerbaby wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Uhh what makes you think that? what would this stronger version of SSB be? How could they do this in such a one-off way?
Because for the movie, they appear to want the manga and anime to converge in terms of transformations and stuff like that, the trailer showing ssg vegeta and not showing at all ssbkk-ssbe proves that imo.

It doesn´t have to be in a one-off way, just have vegeta stating that he is been training since the top, getting stronger while in ssb thus no need for ssbe anymore.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:17 pm

Freezerbaby wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Freezerbaby wrote:
Because for the movie, they appear to want the manga and anime to converge in terms of transformations and stuff like that, the trailer showing ssg vegeta and not showing at all ssbkk-ssbe proves that imo.

It doesn´t have to be in a one-off way, just have vegeta stating that he is been training since the top, getting stronger while in ssb thus no need for ssbe anymore.
The fact that SSG is in the movie doesn't really say much of anything. The way RoF described SSB, it appears that SSG is a prerequisite to SSB. SSG is a reflection of God Ki and SSB is SSJ+God Ki.

If Vegeta got stronger as a SSB, wouldn't that just make SSBE that much stronger? If they were to find some convoluted way to write out SSBE, they need to actually acknowledge it, and explain it away instead of ignoring it.

Freezerbaby
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freezerbaby » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:39 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Freezerbaby wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

The fact that SSG is in the movie doesn't really say much of anything. The way RoF described SSB, it appears that SSG is a prerequisite to SSB. SSG is a reflection of God Ki and SSB is SSJ+God Ki.

If Vegeta got stronger as a SSB, wouldn't that just make SSBE that much stronger? If they were to find some convoluted way to write out SSBE, they need to actually acknowledge it, and explain it away instead of ignoring it.
SSG Vegeta has been only shown in the manga, that ´s why I said that they seemingly want to pleased both anime and manga fans as the movie is a different product meant to hit higher audience.

I get the feeling that they will get rid of ssbe with no explanation whatsoever just as we got no explanation about enraged ssj trunks being blue tier. In fact, the only thing I could expect is something along the lines of "ssbe drains too much stamina,it´s better get stronger as raw ssb".

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:01 pm

Freezerbaby wrote:SSG Vegeta has been only shown in the manga, that ´s why I said that they seemingly want to pleased both anime and manga fans as the movie is a different product meant to hit higher audience.
Yeah obviously, but like I said it existed in the anime it was implied to be q prereq for SSB but they had just never decided to use it until now. It doesn't say much about the manga because we aren't somehow under the impression that SSG just appeared just to pander to a larger audience that includes the manga fans. It doesn't even come out of nowhere because we already knew Goku had access to it so why not Vegeta?
get the feeling that they will get rid of ssbe with no explanation whatsoever just as we got no explanation about enraged ssj trunks being blue tier. In fact, the only thing I could expect is something along the lines of "ssbe drains too much stamina,it´s better get stronger as raw ssb".
Yeah I'm pretty sure if they don't' show SSBE, it'll be without an explanation and they'll pretend this super strong form Vegeta achieved just never existed in the first place. I hope it does appear or we do get some kind of explanation because otherwise continuity is fucked.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:50 pm

I think we're taking this "continuity" thing too far.

DBS is Toriyama's story first and foremost. Its anime and manga adaptations are interpretations of his story by people who aren't Toriyama, both introducing concepts that weren't his ideas (such as Blue Evolution). Broly is the first purely unfiltered Toriyama story we've had since the Resurrection 'F' film way back in 2015.

If we pretend that we're not living in Goku's fictional universe for a moment, I think it makes perfect sense that the latest film wouldn't necessarily play by the rules of the anime or the manga.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:00 pm

SSBE wasn’t on the character sheet , I think that was all the proof needed to know it won’t be in the movie

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:20 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:I think we're taking this "continuity" thing too far.

DBS is Toriyama's story first and foremost. Its anime and manga adaptations are interpretations of his story by people who aren't Toriyama, both introducing concepts that weren't his ideas (such as Blue Evolution). Broly is the first purely unfiltered Toriyama story we've had since the Resurrection 'F' film way back in 2015.

If we pretend that we're not living in Goku's fictional universe for a moment, I think it makes perfect sense that the latest film wouldn't necessarily play by the rules of the anime or the manga.
Well said. Toriyama's view of his story is finally being told "as is."
RecolorSaiyan wrote:SSBE wasn’t on the character sheet , I think that was all the proof needed to know it won’t be in the movie
Neither is Ultra Instinct but it's still possible due to somebody saying Goku's hero card is going to change for the movie.
Last edited by Miracles on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:23 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:DBS is Toriyama's story first and foremost. Its anime and manga adaptations are interpretations of his story by people who aren't Toriyama, both introducing concepts that weren't his ideas (such as Blue Evolution). Broly is the first purely unfiltered Toriyama story we've had since the Resurrection 'F' film way back in 2015..
Sure, but Toriyama oversees the manga and the anime as they adapt his story, and both iterations of the ToP featured Vegeta gaining a huge power-up at the end towards the climax. Clearly, Toriyama either originally intended this to be the case or he gave the seal of approval on both of them, so would this not be part of "Toriyama's story"? I mean, whether it be Blue Evolution or otherwise, he clearly wanted Vegeta to get a big power-up recently in the story. If the movie just kind of pretends this never happened, that is a problem.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:26 pm

Miracles wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:I think we're taking this "continuity" thing too far.

Well said.

Since this is Toriyama's version without any outside additions we have SSJ1 being used rather than SSJ2 and SSJ3 cause it raises Goku's strength more and saps less energy.
We have SSJG Vegeta whom Toriyama himself supervised in the manga.
We have regular SSJ Blue, where Toriyama himself originally had strong enough to handle merged Zamas.

So I'm all for the forms in this movie. They are just stronger than the TOP variations.
RecolorSaiyan wrote:SSBE wasn’t on the character sheet , I think that was all the proof needed to know it won’t be in the movie
Neither is Ultra Instinct but it's still possible due to somebody saying Goku's hero card is going to change for the movie.
yeah But ui isn't something goku can use at will and its basically the ultimate power.
SSBE is something vegeta used at will in the ToP and its not the ultimate power that would beat broly as we saw it fail vs jiren

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:28 pm

Toriyama Draft : "Vegeta evolves SSB in the ToP" or "Vegeta breaks his limits"

Toyo and Toei did different things and Toriyama APPROVED because they don't hurt his overall narrative that vegeta also got a lot stronger however that may not be what he would do.

Instead of having vegeta get a new aura/new form like the adaptations did, he might have just made regular ssb vegeta powerup "x fold" and leave it at that.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:36 am

RecolorSaiyan wrote:.Instead of having vegeta get a new aura/new form like the adaptations did, he might have just made regular ssb vegeta powerup "x fold" and leave it at that.
It just needs to be addressed at some point. That would be fine, they just can't ignore it.

Freezerbaby
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freezerbaby » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:26 pm

After rewatching the third trailer ssbe is definitely not appearing in the movie, vegeta´s clothes are ripped apart so even when pushed to his limits he is still using ssb, same as goku, no ssbkk.

I´ve been looking up some theories, it looks like freeza is actually the one who is controlling Broly, letting Paragus give the orders to his son, that´s why in the first trailer he said "what the" because he gets betrayed at the end, with the volcanic background so it seems he fights Broly at the end of the movie not at the beginning, maybe he deceive Paragus by teling him King vegeta tried to killed them both so that´s the reason Broly face vegeta first.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:47 pm

Freezerbaby wrote:After rewatching the third trailer ssbe is definitely not appearing in the movie, vegeta´s clothes are ripped apart so even when pushed to his limits he is still using ssb, same as goku, no ssbkk.
Yeah, unfortunately that looks like the case. Unless in the actual movie he is using SSBE but they didn't want to spoil that in the trailer. I don't know, I still have hope :(

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:13 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Freezerbaby wrote:After rewatching the third trailer ssbe is definitely not appearing in the movie, vegeta´s clothes are ripped apart so even when pushed to his limits he is still using ssb, same as goku, no ssbkk.
Yeah, unfortunately that looks like the case. Unless in the actual movie he is using SSBE but they didn't want to spoil that in the trailer. I don't know, I still have hope :(
Why do you care so much if ssbE is in the movie? All that means is the show is going to re-tell the arc once it comes back and the movie will be its own continuity, seperate from the manga, and in likelhood the returining anime.... :|

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:17 pm

Son-Kakaroto wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Why do you care so much if ssbE is in the movie? All that means is the show is going to re-tell the arc once it comes back and the movie will be its own continuity, seperate from the manga, and in likelhood the returining anime.... :|
Because if Vegeta achieves a new super powerful form that allows him to defeat a God of Destruction, and then inconspicuously doesn't use it in the next story arc, that's a problem. It fucks with the continuity of things especially when it comes to power scaling.

If they do an anime retelling though this won't be a problem. They could also add the other half of Toriyama's scirpt in there too.