Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Power Level Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:47 pm

It's redundant discussing GT,BoG and FnF in this thread since it doesn't apply. Super will probably change stuff, for all we Super's Beerus might be weaker than Vegetto.
Discussing feats is only worthwhile if a character is involved so that a scale is present. The author likes simplicity and probably reasons that finger-taping a planet in half is just "very strong".

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:21 pm

Saiyan007 wrote:On a second look at beerus feat it actually is higher since the planet He went behind was actually a gas giant (it looks just like jupiter)

Doing some research the average distance jupiter is to earth is 747 million km and seeing that Beerus went behind it in about 5 seconds give or take that would actually make him

539.77 times faster than the speed of light

:wtf:
But what if it took 5 minutes for the planet to blow up? :D Freeza reference

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:54 pm

While the recent feat displayed by Beerus probably is a prominent indicator of power, I don't put much stock in the vast majority of visual feats as much as I do in legitimate power scaling. Scenes of one fighter completely outshining another is one thing, but feats of someone destroying planets and/or other inanimate objects could be taken with a grain of salt in my opinion. Frieza, who's arguably shown some of the best feats when it comes to explosions, was a mere fodder in comparison to the seemingly harmless looking Androids 17 and 18, all thanks to power scaling.

Let's also not forget how much more physically devastating Nappa's initial attack on the city looked in comparison to some of the ki blasts fired in the Buu arc.

The in-universe theory behind this is that while Nappa's attack may have covered more ground, against a powerful opponent who could actually withstand high levels of ki, it's not as potent and/or concentrated, and ultimately not as damaging as an attack with far less volume and surface area, like Frieza's Death Beam. Buildings and mountains are subject to damage from any attack no matter what level of ki the attack possesses, and therefore will crumble regardless of the user or specific potency of power.

Picture a large toy town getting inundated by basketballs thrown by children and then another toy town getting hit by one baseball thrown by an adult. The damage taken by the basketballs would appear far more substantial simply because the sheer volume behind the numerous basketballs over one baseball. On the contrary, a person would suffer far greater injuries from the baseball thrown by the adult, because there is much more potent power behind it.

Of course when it comes down to it all, attacks only look as intimidating as the artist draws them, and hence are subject to animation inconsistencies. Also some attacks get the spotlight of demonstrating major physical damage to the environment simply because the scene calls for it. If the scene demands a powerful attack to merely be limited to speeding past its target's face and ending with a small explosion that does nothing more than break a few rocks, then that's all that attack will display. An attack that is weaker in-universe may exhibit a far greater extent of damage, simply because the scene necessitates that degree of destruction.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:43 pm

Well there was that scene where SSJ3 Goku's Kamehameha was slapped by Buu and hit the planet but it didn't blow up.

Not sure why when they were all flipping their lid over SSJ Goku aiming a Kamehameha at the planet.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:46 pm

Bullza wrote:Well there was that scene where SSJ3 Goku's Kamehameha was slapped by Buu and hit the planet but it didn't blow up.

Not sure why when they were all flipping their lid over SSJ Goku aiming a Kamehameha at the planet.
I think it depends on the angle. Goku was firing from straight up, it could burrow into the ground and hit the core. When they fire blasts and they hit mountains, it's mostly superficial damage, just on the crust.

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:59 pm

Bullza wrote:Well there was that scene where SSJ3 Goku's Kamehameha was slapped by Buu and hit the planet but it didn't blow up.

Manga toonforce logic protecting the planet. It can't be destroyed until the attack is stated to be able to. Doesn't matter if it's Superman Prime punching with all his strength and missing and hitting the planet, it won't break.

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:13 pm

Beerus showed another FTL feat (better than his first one) by going from his temple to the alien planet

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:52 pm

I think that was Whis who flew him there though...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:07 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I think that was Whis who flew him there though...
Beerus was left on the planet while Whis traveled there on his own

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:36 am

I thought Beerus was just chillin inside Whis's staff.
Beerus redirecting the fire blast was awesome, never knew he could do that.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:41 am

Whis can displace glass...maybe he can displace Beerus? =P
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:32 am

Saiyan007 wrote:Beerus showed another FTL feat (better than his first one) by going from his temple to the alien planet
Originally I thought that hourglass Beerus was talking to Whis through was something he'd touch to teleport to where Whis is, but after watching it again, it seems to me like it was Beerus's own speed, and the hourglass was just a means of communication.

It's safe to say Goku's past 40 ton now. :P

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:19 am

I think Whis has some kind of pocket dimension or something inside his staff that Beerus was riding in... because otherwise it would make no sense for Beerus to be able to get there faster than Whis could (that would make Whis' warp ability pointless).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:56 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I think Whis has some kind of pocket dimension or something inside his staff that Beerus was riding in... because otherwise it would make no sense for Beerus to be able to get there faster than Whis could (that would make Whis' warp ability pointless).
I'd say it wasn't to do with his staff, as it really looked like Beerus was on his planet. The only other explanation is that the hourglass Whis had with him which Beerus was using to communicate with Whis had some kind of teleporting property when touched (or something like that) but it seems to me that Beerus flew there. Do we know how long it took Whis get there? We know it took Beerus a couple of minutes I think.

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:05 am

I'm pretty sure Beerus flew there seeing as it took him a few minutes to get there. If the hourglass was some form of pocket dimension he'd of been there instantly. The hourglass just seems like it was for communication.

Whis certainly didn't need his staff to get there, but it was probably faster with it.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:49 am

Seeing goku lifting large weights don't know how much on a planet 10x earths gravity should end the 40 ton crap for good. :D

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:55 am

It seemed like Beerus was waiting for Whis to get there, implying he was traveling with him... and there's the fact that he needed Whis' help to travel back.

I'm just saying it makes no sense for Beerus to be able to get places as fast or faster than Whis can.

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:19 am

He wasn't waiting for Whis to get there. He was waiting for Whis to go there and get the dinosaur meat and come back with it. He got sick of waiting and decided to go there himself.

Everything indicates Beerus traveled there on his own. Him going back with Whis is him just being the lazy person he normally is.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:20 am

But that undermines the whole concept of Whis' traveling ability in the first place.

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:22 am

No it doesn't because nothing suggests Beerus is as fast or faster than Whis' ability. And Beerus is also lazy. He'd much rather hitch a ride than put in any work to travel somewhere himself. Whis' staff ability is the perfect answer for that. Beerus gets to be lazy while still being able to travel places in no time flat due to his attendants ability.