Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Power Level Discussion Thread

Post by Darkprince410 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:22 pm

h0kuten wrote: Why can't it be an indicator of strength? Goku was training to be able to defeat Kid Buu on his own. EOZ implies he is able to do so in normal Base form.
That's a jump of at least 8x in the span of six months, all the while being forced to work, so his training entails whatever he can "get away with". In comparison, it'd be a stretch to say that his strength even doubled during the seven years of intense (by his own words) training he did in the afterlife between the Cell and Buu Sagas. The end of Z still left it open as to how much of Buu's power Uub was actually using against Goku, as it could very well have only been a portion of Pure Buu's strength (just enough for Goku to know full well who Uub actually was).

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:40 pm

Well the episode has aired.

- Goku never fought Frieza or Cell so most of that discussion was for nothing in the end.

- Beerus tapped his nail and destroyed half a planet (best feat in the series so far?)

h0kuten
Banned

Post by h0kuten » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:09 pm

Bullza wrote:Well the episode has aired.

- Goku never fought Freeza or Cell so most of that discussion was for nothing in the end.

- Beerus tapped his nail and destroyed half a planet (best feat in the series so far?)
The Manga should always be superior to the anime in terms of accuracy. Some events in the Manga of Fukkatsu no F didn't happen in the Anime movie.

So I wouldn't say Goku didn't imagine how much improvements he's had and compared them to his former enemies.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:22 pm

The manga would usually come first but this Dragon Ball Super is an anime first and a manga adaptation second just like the RoF manga which also had some differences from the movie

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:24 pm

Yea the manga is the secondary source with recent material. The anime/movies are the main sources this time around. So if scenes that happened in the manga happened differently in the anime/movies then it would be the latter that would come first.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:27 pm

Pretty much. The manga this time around is literally just the advertisement for the anime. Just like how the ROF manga was an advertisement for the movie.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

h0kuten
Banned

Post by h0kuten » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:58 am

The Dragonball Fukkatsu no F Manga & Dragonball Super Manga all came before the actual show. So I'll still take the Manga over the Anime adaption, especially if the Manga makes more sense.

An example that comes to mind is when Whiss knocks out Vegeta, it never occurred in the Manga and was obviously something to power up Goku just for the sake that he's Goku.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:02 am

h0kuten wrote:The Dragonball Fukkatsu no F Manga & Dragonball Super Manga all came before the actual show. So I'll still take the Manga over the Anime adaption, especially if the Manga makes more sense.

An example that comes to mind is when Whiss knocks out Vegeta, it never occurred in the Manga and was obviously something to power up Goku just for the sake that he's Goku.
Except not, since Whis could just as easily knock out Goku. Additionally, the manga for Super and RoF are adaptations. They do not supercede the Manga

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:52 am

h0kuten wrote:The Dragonball Fukkatsu no F Manga & Dragonball Super Manga all came before the actual show. So I'll still take the Manga over the Anime adaption, especially if the Manga makes more sense.

You're going to take the secondary material over the primary material? Toriyama is working on the anime and the manga is done by other people based on the anime. DBS is anime first.

OT: Holy shit I'm not even amazed by the striking feat, but the travel speed. They moved at least millions of miles away in seconds. From finger tapping the planet to being far enough away it looks like a tiny ball in approximately 3 seconds? MFTL confirmed. Feats wheeee.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:07 am

Well it sure didn't take long for someone to attempt to calculate the striking feat.

http://www.narutoforums.com/blog.php?b=26324

What's more impressive is that the same guy was punching Goku in the face at 70% of his power while pretty serious and Goku was tough enough to fight through it.

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:14 am

Bullza wrote:Well it sure didn't take long for someone to attempt to calculate the striking feat.

http://www.narutoforums.com/blog.php?b=26324

What's more impressive is that the same guy was punching Goku in the face at 70% of his power while pretty serious and Goku was tough enough to fight through it.
Now we're going to get people saying "that was a ki attack" without realizing characters in DBZ use ki for their punches already anyway.

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:30 am

He used his finger nail and destroyed half a planet

:wtf:

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:58 am

People take everything too serious,,,that Dinosaur Snake should have atleast more power than anything in saiyan arc if it manged to survive punches from Trunks and it also showed astonishing speed.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:44 am

Calcs are annoying at times, to me that's just to show that Beerus can destroy a planet with ease with a poke. Maybe Beerus is FTL, I'm really expecting it to be in the series sooner or later.

RE: Anime vs Manga
In this case the anime is the true source, the Manga's just an adaption.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:41 am

This and the Revival of F manga aren't like how it was with the original Dragon Ball manga though. In these cases, it's Toriyama that's working on the anime/movie, while Toyotaro's working on adaptations of the story to pre-date the release of their animated versions. We don't know exactly what Toyotaro's going off of, but in this situation, it's the anime that supersedes the manga in terms of story accuracy, not the other way around.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:53 am

It doesn't matter, these manga aren't made by Toriyama himself. The original manga was superior because it was the original thing done solely by the original author, not because it was in the manga format. These mangas have no such privilege.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:25 am

So you'll take something that's literally only meant to advertise the anime? With no guarantee that it'll be 100% accurate?

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:02 pm

Beerus also has a casual ftl feat

Not my Calc BTW
He appeared behind a another planet 4* seconds after destroying a planet he was inside.

Approximate estimation via real world examples

The distance between earth and Mars is
closest = 54.6milliion kilometres
average = 225 million kilometres
furthest = 401 million kilometres.
Since the chances of it being the closest and the furthest are unpractical, we'll use the average. So using a real world estimation he travelled 225 000 000 km in 4* seconds. That means he was crossing 56, 250, 000 km per second . Light travellers 299,792 km per second.
Meaning he was 187.33 times faster than light

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:04 pm

That calc is better than the other one Saiyan007, but it seems a bit high. I believe Beerus is FTL, I'll just wait for more feats until I call him MFTL.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:27 pm

Super Vegetto wrote:People take everything too serious,,,that Dinosaur Snake should have atleast more power than anything in saiyan arc if it manged to survive punches from Trunks and it also showed astonishing speed.
This got me mad a bit. That was way to ridiculous.