Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Power Level Discussion Thread

Post by Neon Z » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:56 am

Zombie wrote:BoG is irrelevant now. Goku never fought Beerus in base.

I see no reason to not follow the established SSJ multiplier.
In Super, Goku stops Beerus' final blast at the end while in base, so the 50x multiplier still seems unlikely. If the same multipliers were in play too, turning into a SSJ2 and SSJ3 should still help him in that battle too, and yet he obviously didn't.
Last edited by Neon Z on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barunks
Beyond Newbie

Post by Barunks » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:48 am

Assuming Gohan has the same power downgrade in Super as he did in RoF could it be possible that he's actually in the same league as Future Gohan at this point?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:54 am

Barunks wrote:Assuming Gohan has the same power downgrade in Super as he did in RoF could it be possible that he's actually in the same league as Future Gohan at this point?
No, he is not that weak, he is still stronger than Piccolo who keeps training all these years. I don't think Gohan's battle power has fallen, he just lost his Ultimate state, and maybe Super Saiyan 2.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:57 am

Barunks wrote:Assuming Gohan has the same power downgrade in Super as he did in RoF could it be possible that he's actually in the same league as Future Gohan at this point?
Nah, it's very unlikely. He's still stronger than Piccolo in base.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:59 am

Neon Z wrote:Nah, it's very unlikely. He's still stronger than Piccolo in base.
Where did you get that from? :eh:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:07 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
The only material that implies it, is Toriyama's script, which states that Gohan was the strongest and how Piccolo and the others also were strong. This is before he goes Super Saiyan.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:33 am

dbgtFO wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
The only material that implies it, is Toriyama's script, which states that Gohan was the strongest and how Piccolo and the others also were strong. This is before he goes Super Saiyan.
I always took that as Gohan being the strongest at his max, which is his Super Saiyan form.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:24 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Unless I'm misremembering the movie, Freeza states that Gohan is the strongest there while he's beating (and sparing the grunts), and Gohan had neither transformed into a SSJ, nor Freeza even knew that he could transform at that point.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Where did you get that from? :eh:
I always took that as Gohan being the strongest at his max, which is his Super Saiyan form.
Those were instructions for the grunt battle though (where Gohan was in base). It wouldn't make sense for that comment to be referencing his SSJ form that he doesn't use while facing the generic grunts.

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:26 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
GTX wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:That was after BOG, but afterwards Goku only seems to fight in his base and SSjGSSj form now. Goku didn't go SSj so far in Super after Beerus and during his fight with Uub. So I think it's safe to assume that Goku is done with normal SSj forms now.
After bog? i remembered i saw him fighting in bog straight after the time limit of ssg was over against beerus.
Goku didn't go SSj when fighting Freeza in his 4th form in ROF and fighting with Uub. I think normal SSj is pretty much done for good as for now.
Super saiyan god is normal ssj with god ki. It require all people to be super saiyan eventhough the videl case make people confuse. When SSG time limit was over goku became normal ssj not the the base state.
The question has been asked by you 10000000000 times and we have become very efficient.
I don't care about non canon stuffs like game, guide book, movie, etc
Spare the trouble because GT is CANON
Be quick and be done with it
inactive :P

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:42 am

Neon Z wrote:The only material that implies it, is Toriyama's script, which states that Gohan was the strongest and how Piccolo and the others also were strong. This is before he goes Super Saiyan.

Those were instructions for the grunt battle though (where Gohan was in base). It wouldn't make sense for that comment to be referencing his SSJ form that he doesn't use while facing the generic grunts.
Freeza cant sense Ki though,he was just guessing based on how well Gohan fared against the those goons.And it looks like Piccolo isnt also fighting serious until he faces Shisami and theres also the fact that Gohan needed SSJ to beat Shisami,if he's stronger than Piccolo then he wouldnt have needed SSJ to beat Shisami.

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:24 am

Neon Z wrote:
Zombie wrote: turning into a SSJ2 and SSJ3 should still help him in that battle too, and yet he obviously didn't.
How about the idea because god ki only efective in super saiyan and base form implied by toriyama, i'm 'neutral' to this, though.
The question has been asked by you 10000000000 times and we have become very efficient.
I don't care about non canon stuffs like game, guide book, movie, etc
Spare the trouble because GT is CANON
Be quick and be done with it
inactive :P

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:49 am

I need a solid legitimate reason why Super Saiyan God is far above SSJ2 and SSJ3.
Goku already said he has mastered the full power power Super Saiyan form during his training in the chamber with Gohan.
He proved to fighting as Cells equal until Cell revealed he was holding back.
Now, when Gohan Transformed into a SSJ2. He quickly overpowered Cell without even trying. I remember Trunks saying that this was the real way to transform as it held no stress on the body or something on those lines. If that's true, why don't they train and master the SSJ2 form instead of the original SSJ form which Goku and Gohan have already done?

I think the SSJ2 and SSJ3 forms are being treated like the Grade 1 and Grade 2 transformations just to make SSJ God and SSJGSSJ relevant.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:00 am

Neon Z wrote:Unless I'm misremembering the movie, Freeza states that Gohan is the strongest there while he's beating (and sparing the grunts), and Gohan had neither transformed into a SSJ, nor Freeza even knew that he could transform at that point.
Freeza only said that Gohan could defeat all of the soldiers alone in an instant if he wanted to, but instead he chose to spare their lives.
It would make sense, if the statement was about Gohan in general. But I guess it can be interpreted as base Gohan being stronger, though not necessarily.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:48 am

My last post....it was ignored (first world problems).

I'll say again. In RoF Goku and Vegeta were seemingly even, do you think that's a result of Vegeta having 6 months of training with Whis whilst Goku just sat around?

Goku did say he was like a different person but won't people throw a hissy fit if Vegeta became as strong as a SSJG just through 6 months of training?

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:37 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:I need a solid legitimate reason why Super Saiyan God is far above SSJ2 and SSJ3.
Goku already said he has mastered the full power power Super Saiyan form during his training in the chamber with Gohan.
Now, when Gohan Transformed into a SSJ2. He quickly overpowered Cell without even trying. I remember Trunks saying that this was the real way to transform as it held no stress on the body or something on those lines. If that's true, why don't they train and master the SSJ2 form instead of the original SSJ form which Goku and Gohan have already done?

I think the SSJ2 and SSJ3 forms are being treated like the Grade 1 and Grade 2 transformations just to make SSJ God and SSJGSSJ relevant.
ssj3 goku got finger flicked by beerus,where god form was able to push beerus to using 70% or more of his power.

But i understand what u mean.However gotenks for example already mastered ssj3,stated by goku and he was only on super buu's level.Someone who would get finger flicked by beerus.

So ye god form is that huge of a boost.
Bullza wrote:My last post....it was ignored (first world problems).

I'll say again. In RoF Goku and Vegeta were seemingly even, do you think that's a result of Vegeta having 6 months of training with Whis whilst Goku just sat around?

Goku did say he was like a different person but won't people throw a hissy fit if Vegeta became as strong as a SSJG just through 6 months of training?
Well in ROF,i assumed that since vegeta was close to goku,if he did the ritual hed be at the same level.

Now I'm guessing that due to whi's training,vegeta managed to catch up to goku in those 6 months.

And goku did train,i think the right word would be working out,but nothing serious.So i think goku didnt gain any power but he managed to maintain that level of power for those 6 months due to him working out/training at every opportunity he got.

Plus I'm sure no earthly or kaio training method could increase goku's already huge PL,so he most likely needs the training of whis to continue to grow stronger.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:25 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:I need a solid legitimate reason why Super Saiyan God is far above SSJ2 and SSJ3.

I don't think it's such a big stretch. Although SSJ2 wasting energy was never a plot point, we never saw the characters using it as relaxed as their base form either, unlike SSJ. There's also how one of its signature characteristics is the aura blazing more, with the sparks, which lines up just fine with wasted energy even if it was never a plot point originally.

Still, SSJ2 and SSJ3 aren't being treated as "Grade" tiers now in order to make SSJ God and SSJB relevant - SSJ God by itself is strong enough that makes every previous form irrelevant. It's being treated like that in order to avoid SSJ2 and SSJ3 stealing the spotlight of the SSJ design again, and the complication that would come from having to consider those forms for every future design. SSJB is based on SSJ, but if SSJ2 and SSJ3 were still considered the real evolutions of SSJ, there'd be an expectation of Goku just going straight to SSJB2 or 3, for example. It'd also make him go SSJ3 against Beerus, rather than SSJ, when the point of using SSJ there, rather than sticking with SSJGod the entire battle, was clearly to use the classic SSJ design there.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:46 pm

Neon Z wrote:Still, SSJ2 and SSJ3 aren't being treated as "Grade" tiers now in order to make SSJ God and SSJB relevant
There's a quote from Toriyama where he says that SSJ2 and SSJ3 are simply powered-up versions of SSJ, when they were completely different transformations originally. SSJ Grade 1 and 2 were the actual powered up versions of SSJ, so I think this is what he was talking about.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:35 am

Now I'm guessing that due to whi's training,vegeta managed to catch up to goku in those 6 months.
If that's all there is too it then I don't like the idea of Vegeta just catching up to Goku like that,it really undermines the power of SSJG. In BoG Goku said that it was a level he could never reach in his own.

I guess training with Whis would be different but I still think it'd be a bit much.

Of course they also trained another 4 months after while Frieza was training so that'd power them up even more.

Nothing suggests that base Goku is any more powerful than before though does it?

Blackstripe
Regular

Post by Blackstripe » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:00 am

Bullza wrote:Nothing suggests that base Goku is any more powerful than before though does it?
Depends on how weak you think Kuririn is. :lol:

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:09 am

Bullza wrote:
If that's all there is too it then I don't like the idea of Vegeta just catching up to Goku like that,it really undermines the power of SSJG. In BoG Goku said that it was a level he could never reach in his own.

I guess training with Whis would be different but I still think it'd be a bit much.

Of course they also trained another 4 months after while Freeza was training so that'd power them up even more.

Nothing suggests that base Goku is any more powerful than before though does it?
In episode 16, Whis said no matter how much Vegeta kept up with his training he still wouldn't be able to Beerus.
It might be the sub I watched but if this is correct, then it's definitely the only way Vegeta caught up was by Whis' training.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"