Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:50 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote: One Piece has amazing writting and worldbuilding, but fails when it comes to great battles and interesting characters.

A lot of people seem to think nowadays that dramatic backstory = good character, that's not true. Characters like Robin and Chopper for example still suck.
I think basically everyone would disagree with your statement. The battles and characters are the highlights and Robin and Chopper don't suck whatsoever. Unlike Dragon Ball, every StrawHat is used to their fullest and aren't worthless unlike Yamcha, Gohan, Tien and several others. Guess I shouldn't have posted about this in a forum full of people who have a large Dragon Ball bias that think that everything else in inferior. I've being contemplating just logging out of Kanzenshuu for a while because of this horrible fan base and you know what, I'm going to. It might seem like I'm just being a One Piece tard but I'm not. I'm a huge fan of the series who is fine with people not liking but saying that One Piece sucks and Dragon Ball is better without even reading a page or watching an episode? That's not right, at all. I know what the series is like and these comments are mainly from people who have never seen it or read it or have only watch maybe an episode of it. A series that contiously refuses to develop it's characters and change up it's story is better than a series that continously develops it's characters (By making them go through failures and such adding depth to them making them feel real) and changes it's story up all the time? No, that's just ridiculous. I love DB too but Toriyama's refusal to develop the story and characters further (Especially after the fact that he DID do just that in Battle of Gods but he only ever did it there as of late) pisses me off. No characters suck, Oda makes sure that every character is just as important and that they all play a vital role to the story and the journey. There used to be a lot of love for One Piece here a few years back but now it's full of new forum members who love the hell out of Dragon Ball but will lambast anything else that isn't DB. Goodbye
Wah?

I mean, I've never read/seen One Piece, and I don't really have a desire to. And while I'll be the first to admit that several members of this fanbase HUGELY overestimate the quality of this series, I don't see why you would expect any different on a forum DEDICATED to that series.

I mean, I don't go to Smash Forums to go on about how some other game is better. I do go to Westeros.org to bash Game of Thrones, but that's more like coming here to bash the Anime.

That being said, #KenshinBestShonen.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri May 13, 2016 10:51 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:That being said, #KenshinBestShonen.
This man knows what he's talking about.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri May 13, 2016 11:32 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: One Piece has amazing writting and worldbuilding, but fails when it comes to great battles and interesting characters.

A lot of people seem to think nowadays that dramatic backstory = good character, that's not true. Characters like Robin and Chopper for example still suck.
I think basically everyone would disagree with your statement. The battles and characters are the highlights and Robin and Chopper don't suck whatsoever. Unlike Dragon Ball, every StrawHat is used to their fullest and aren't worthless unlike Yamcha, Gohan, Tien and several others. Guess I shouldn't have posted about this in a forum full of people who have a large Dragon Ball bias that think that everything else in inferior. I've being contemplating just logging out of Kanzenshuu for a while because of this horrible fan base and you know what, I'm going to. It might seem like I'm just being a One Piece tard but I'm not. I'm a huge fan of the series who is fine with people not liking but saying that One Piece sucks and Dragon Ball is better without even reading a page or watching an episode? That's not right, at all. I know what the series is like and these comments are mainly from people who have never seen it or read it or have only watch maybe an episode of it. A series that contiously refuses to develop it's characters and change up it's story is better than a series that continously develops it's characters (By making them go through failures and such adding depth to them making them feel real) and changes it's story up all the time? No, that's just ridiculous. I love DB too but Toriyama's refusal to develop the story and characters further (Especially after the fact that he DID do just that in Battle of Gods but he only ever did it there as of late) pisses me off. No characters suck, Oda makes sure that every character is just as important and that they all play a vital role to the story and the journey. There used to be a lot of love for One Piece here a few years back but now it's full of new forum members who love the hell out of Dragon Ball but will lambast anything else that isn't DB. Goodbye
Basically any One Piece fanboy that think OP doesn't have flaws, you mean?!
It's true Oda always does his best to use strawhats members, but doesn't mean members like Robin and Chopper aren't still trash characters.
And the battles of One Piece are really subpar when compared to oher shonen like Dragon Ball, Gintama, HunterxHunter, Naruto, Katekyo Hitman Reborn etc...

And when Oda has the chance to show interesting battles he shies away: Akainu vs Aokiji, Blackbeard Pirates vs Marco/Whitebeard Pirates and now Blackbeard Pirates vs Revolutionaries.

I follow One Piece and I know what I'm talking about. I'm not the typical hater that hates only because it's cool.

You are in a Dragon Ball forum. I don't know what's so surprising here. I can acknowledge One Piece strong points but I also can point its flaws. But maybe this is a shock for ya?!
People that live in their little bubble while thinking everything is perfect, may be shocked when confronted with different opinions.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Fri May 13, 2016 12:09 pm

There may not be much point in responding to this post since you said you're leaving, but as a pretty huge One Piece fan myself (OP is a significant part of why I have an English Weekly Shonen Jump subscription, and I've bought a digital copy of every volume of the manga that Viz has released to date), the bits I bolded are a bit...arguable, at least these days.

- The battles can be creative and fun and show very novel usage of a given power set, but the actual "fighting" part tends to feel a little lacking, at least when compared to other series that put a greater emphasis on fights like Naruto or Hunter x Hunter. A big part of what makes Oda's fights enjoyable comes down to how much you want to see the villain get their face smashed in.

- The characters always being used to their fullest would also be argued by some, I think. I've definitely encountered one or two people on other forums who aren't fans of Nami and Robin generally taking more passive roles and not getting many "meaningful" fights. Also, since Dressrosa Oda seems to have developed a habit of splitting the crew in two and having one group leave the spotlight so he only has to find stuff for about 5 of the main characters to do at a time instead of the full 9+.

- The Straw Hats have spent more time as static characters than not. They generally receive a fair amount of development in their introduction to progress them from "There's no way I'd ever join your crew" to "Okay, sure, take me with you", but outside of certain major plot events they don't get much more past that and tend to be defined by how their quirks would dictate they act in a given situation. The current stuff in the manga with Sanji is looking to be the first time we get any real additional development of one of the Straw Hats since, like, 2010.

I love OP with all my heart, but it's not without its own flaws (though I do think the postives vastly outweigh the negatives).

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri May 13, 2016 6:59 pm

I can't follow one piece for more than ten chapters before getting bored and falling behind for months. On the other hand, I eat up any dragonball material. So in my opinion dragonball>>>>>>>>>>>one piece.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Fri May 13, 2016 7:30 pm

Kakarotto92 wrote:For the heretics underestimating Toriyama drawing skills:
Toriyama in his prime > most modern WSJ mangakas
Amen.

As someone who likes both OP and DB pretty much the same, i think Oda and Toriyama both have strengths and flaws, but regarding specifically their art styles and skills...Toriyama influenced shonen (and manga) forever with his art, choreography, well, his narrative as a whole.

Toriyama is the character designer from one of the best and most beloved RPGs ever, and has been the official designer of arguably the most popular video game franchise in Japan for 30 years. I don't think Oda will ever reach that status as a designer or someone who influenced generations with his art.

Sun Wukong
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sun Wukong » Fri May 13, 2016 8:07 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:That being said, #KenshinBestShonen.
This man knows what he's talking about.
You didn't think I wouldn't find about this did you?
"I was born in a small village. I was still a child when we were raided by soldiers. Foreign soldiers. Torn from my elders, I was made to speak their language. With each new post my masters changed. Along with the words they made me speak. With each change, I changed too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw right and wrong. Words - can - kill."
—Skull Face

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Fri May 13, 2016 10:39 pm

Kakarotto92 wrote:For the heretics underestimating Toriyama drawing skills:
Toriyama in his prime > most modern WSJ mangakas
The details on the drawing are outstanding. Especially the bike one.

WhisPL
Not-So-Newbie

Post by WhisPL » Mon May 16, 2016 7:21 am

http://www.videor.co.jp/data/ratedata/top10.htm
1. Sazae-san 11,9 %
2. Shin-chan 10,7 %
3. Doraemon 9,1 %
4. Detective Conan 7,8 %
5. Chibi Maruko-chan 7,6 %
6. One Piece 7,5 %
7. Dragon Ball Super (42) 5,0 %
8. Ace Attorney 4,3 %
9. Yo-kai Watch 3,5 %
10. GO! GO! Chuggington 3,1 %

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon May 16, 2016 7:49 am

Yikes, wonder why the ratings have dropped back to this.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon May 16, 2016 8:51 am

ArchedThunder wrote:Yikes, wonder why the ratings have dropped back to this.
Big finale ended, previews clearly showing filler weeks up ahead. Probably main reason. People will tune back in when new arc gets going

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Mon May 16, 2016 10:36 am

Just wait until trunks arc starts, rating will skyrocket. He is a very popular character even in japan.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 16, 2016 3:19 pm

Meh. Not worried about the drop in rating. Filler episodes are bound to turn people off.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon May 16, 2016 3:53 pm

One Piece fell a lot this week too so it's probably nothing to do with DB Super itself.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon May 16, 2016 6:31 pm

Maybe since it was right after Golden Week, many people could've taken an extended vacation lasting through the weekend? Although, since Japanese ratings are based off the percentage of TVs tuned to that program, rather than the quantity of viewers, I guess it depends on what else was airing at the same time.

(The Golden Week thing gets me wondering...do animation studios take that into account if they know their program will be airing during a popular holiday period, and make sure they're not planning any major episodes for that time? Most series don't air at all if they fall right on the holiday, but is any thought given to the surrounding days when viewers are less likely to be available? Do they prefer to air filler/less important episodes during holidays so if fans miss them, it's not really a big deal? Just a random thought...)
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue May 17, 2016 2:34 pm

So why does all other anime outside of the top 10 always get such low ratings? If 3.1 is the lowest rating on that list that means everything else that airs probably is in the 2's or less. Is it because its all moe/fanservice stuff or kids shows that only otaku's watch? I notice even Naruto, Yu-gi-oh, etc. never make these charts.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue May 17, 2016 3:28 pm

sailorspazz wrote:Maybe since it was right after Golden Week, many people could've taken an extended vacation lasting through the weekend? Although, since Japanese ratings are based off the percentage of TVs tuned to that program, rather than the quantity of viewers, I guess it depends on what else was airing at the same time.
The percentage is relative to total households, not "tvs that are on at the time", which is a common misconception and would make the whole system rather inaccurate. The late night anime would have very high ratings - i mean, it's not like there are a whole lot of people other than otaku watching tv at 2am, when the competition isn't high compared to a primetime show.

Speaking of that weekend, it was Mother's day in Japan, too - we can see all the top 10 anime were lower than usual, except for Doraemon and Shin-chan, since they air on Friday. The Golden Week/Mother's day period is always slow like that.

(The Golden Week thing gets me wondering...do animation studios take that into account if they know their program will be airing during a popular holiday period, and make sure they're not planning any major episodes for that time? Most series don't air at all if they fall right on the holiday, but is any thought given to the surrounding days when viewers are less likely to be available? Do they prefer to air filler/less important episodes during holidays so if fans miss them, it's not really a big deal? Just a random thought...)
For long running shows, just taking a quick look at the ones i watch(ed), i think that definitely happens. At least when they can do that and aren't right in the middle of a huge arc.

precita wrote:So why does all other anime outside of the top 10 always get such low ratings? If 3.1 is the lowest rating on that list that means everything else that airs probably is in the 2's or less. Is it because its all moe/fanservice stuff or kids shows that only otaku's watch? I notice even Naruto, Yu-gi-oh, etc. never make these charts.
The others are mainstream/kid shows with lower viewerships, or late night otaku anime, that's pretty much it.
Naruto dropped a lot after the fillers from part 1. It managed to become top 10 material again once Shippuuden started, but then came another filler wave and audiences left, never recovering again.

That doesn't mean a 2~3 is a low rating, though. Other long running shows like Ace of Diamond and Fairy Tail never went beyond that range and still, were airing for a long time. Saint Seiya Omega almost never went beyond a 2 and lasted 97 episodes. Let alone Anpanman, which has been airing for nearly 30 years and we rarely see in the top.
Last edited by Araki on Tue May 17, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Tue May 17, 2016 7:37 pm

Araki wrote:For long running shows, just taking a quick look at the ones i watch(ed), i think that definitely happens. At least when they can do that and aren't right in the middle of a huge arc.
They haven't done anything like this for a while, but there were even a few times in One Piece where Toei actually interrupted an on-going arc to do "Jidaigeki" filler episodes to accommodate the holidays. Didn't go over especially well when those episodes finally aired on Toonami in the US like a year ago.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed May 18, 2016 4:19 pm

Araki wrote:
sailorspazz wrote:Maybe since it was right after Golden Week, many people could've taken an extended vacation lasting through the weekend? Although, since Japanese ratings are based off the percentage of TVs tuned to that program, rather than the quantity of viewers, I guess it depends on what else was airing at the same time.
The percentage is relative to total households, not "tvs that are on at the time", which is a common misconception and would make the whole system rather inaccurate. The late night anime would have very high ratings - i mean, it's not like there are a whole lot of people other than otaku watching tv at 2am, when the competition isn't high compared to a primetime show.
Ohhh, thanks for the clarification. I was getting it confused with the "share" portion of US rating systems, since that's also percentage based. Now it makes more sense!

Anyway, with a couple low rated weeks around the holiday period, hoping for a jump afterward, and especially curious to see what happens when Trunks appears. Though with the way the ratings seem to go up and down through the weeks, not sure if we should expect any consistent bump. But we can always hope for "our" show to do well ^_^
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Konig
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konig » Wed May 18, 2016 9:11 pm

http://www.tvguide.or.jp/ranking/timerr ... index.html

DVR Ratings: April 25th - May 1st.
1st - One Piece - 100.0
2nd - Doraemon - 98.4 (Up 1)
3rd - Yokai watch - 97.8 (Down 1)
4th - Detective Conan - 78.6
5th - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE: 0096 - 75.0
6th - Ansatsu Kyōshitsu - 74.3 (Up 1)
7th - Sakamoto Desu Ga? - 71.2 (Up 1)
8th - Dragon Ball Super (Episode 41) - 64.9 (Down 2)
9th - Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - 63.5 (Up at least 2)
10th - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 58.7 (Down 1)