Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDBZmaster100
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by TheDBZmaster100 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:47 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:
TheDBZmaster100 wrote: In terms of writing? Yes.
In terms of characterisation/use of support character ? Yes
In terms of the artificial, forced tension? Yes.
In terms of production values? yes
In terms of the awful OST ? Yes

I can list more reasons why this series isn't good.
I think Dragon Ball Super is shit in quality, but it's far from flop. In facts it's one of the top anime in Japan atm. Like it or not, most people like DBS in Japan
It has awful writing, thus = it's a shitty series to me. I don't care if it sold a lot of sales or it has a high rating.
Sales does not equate quality.
HeroR wrote:
TheDBZmaster100 wrote:8.4 rating? Interesting.

Faisal Shourov wrote:I thought people were saying Dragon Ball Super was a flop? LOL

In terms of writing? Yes.

And yet you keep coming here to complain. Wouldn't that time be better serve watching or doing something you like.
Also, believe or not, there are people who do enjoy Super, otherwise people who have stopped watching a long time ago like GT.
I'm here complaining because I don't like the current direction of this series.
The classic rhetoric 'You don't like it but there are other people who enjoy it', either critique my statement or don't reply to comment my statement at all, quit with the ad hominem as well.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:13 pm

But you're complaints have no place in this thread. This is about the TV ratings, whether it's doing well or not...but as you said
I don't care if it sold a lot of sales or it has a high rating.
So then why are you entering a thread that's specifically about the shows ratings just to randomly list a bunch of flaws with the show?

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:40 pm

Are the ratings out for the latest episode? (I have no idea when they release those)

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:45 pm

TheDBZmaster100 wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote: I think Dragon Ball Super is shit in quality, but it's far from flop. In facts it's one of the top anime in Japan atm. Like it or not, most people like DBS in Japan
It has awful writing, thus = it's a shitty series to me. I don't care if it sold a lot of sales or it has a high rating.
You know that the word "flop" has nothing to do with quality, right? So why are you responding with subjective analysis of quality when it is objectively selling well and getting good ratings (thus not a flop)? Do that in another thread.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:52 pm

TheDBZmaster100 wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:
TheDBZmaster100 wrote: In terms of writing? Yes.

I think Dragon Ball Super is shit in quality, but it's far from flop. In facts it's one of the top anime in Japan atm. Like it or not, most people like DBS in Japan

-_- quality literally has NOTHING to do with what this thread is about (TV ratings). Is DB Super failing in ratings? No? Then it's not a flop and that's more or less a fact

Konig
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konig » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:48 pm

Xeztin wrote:Are the ratings out for the latest episode? (I have no idea when they release those)
Not yet. Live ratings are published on wednesdays.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:03 am

Konig wrote:
Xeztin wrote:Are the ratings out for the latest episode? (I have no idea when they release those)
Not yet. Live ratings are published on wednesdays.
Wednesday morning in Japan, but just to make it clear for everyone, the top 10 is usually out on Tuesdays 11:00-11:30pm (GMT), exceptions being during holidays.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:03 am

Bigivel wrote:Hi guys, my first comment in this community! Nice to make your acquaintance :)
Welcome to Kanzenshuu!

I'm really glad to see that Super's ratings have shot up with this new arc. To me, it shows that many people in Japan agree with what many people in the rest of the world think: Dragon Ball is more exciting when it's a bit darker and has some real tension. I can't wait to see if Episode 48 did as well as Episode 47. My money's on not, but it's probably not that much lower.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:58 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote:Is DB Super failing in ratings? No? Then it's not a flop and that's more or less a fact
Not at all. Kai flopped hard despite having similar ratings as Super. Kids tuning in and watching your show doesn't mean anything as long as they don't buy merchandise (which, in the case of Kai, they didn't). Meanwhile, TV Tokyo's most profitable cartoon franchise last year was Naruto, a show that doesn't even get a third of the viewership Super does.

Ratings are, as a whole, a fairly meaningless statistic, especially today when there are so many alternate ways to watch TV shows besides "turn on your TV when they air".
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:06 am

Adamant wrote:
Dbzk1999 wrote:Is DB Super failing in ratings? No? Then it's not a flop and that's more or less a fact
Not at all. Kai flopped hard despite having similar ratings as Super. Kids tuning in and watching your show doesn't mean anything as long as they don't buy merchandise (which, in the case of Kai, they didn't). Meanwhile, TV Tokyo's most profitable cartoon franchise last year was Naruto, a show that doesn't even get a third of the viewership Super does.

Ratings are, as a whole, a fairly meaningless statistic, especially today when there are so many alternate ways to watch TV shows besides "turn on your TV when they air".
Super's merchandise is selling when Kai's didn't. So, Super is a success rather you liked the show or not. Super is also only behind One Piece in sells and surpasses it in the worldwide market.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:32 am

Adamant wrote: Ratings are, as a whole, a fairly meaningless statistic, especially today when there are so many alternate ways to watch TV shows besides "turn on your TV when they air".
Maybe for anime, but commercial spots have a hefty price for other shows. American Idol for example charges $500k for a 30 second commercial. That's the budget for 4 anime episodes right there.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:10 am

HeroR wrote: Super's merchandise is selling when Kai's didn't. So, Super is a success rather you liked the show or not.
Yes, but that has absolutely nothing to do with ratings, which is what that post and this thread was about. The claim in question was that "Super not falling in ratings means it's not a flop", which is entirely untrue.
DragonHermit wrote: Maybe for anime, but commercial spots have a hefty price for other shows. American Idol for example charges $500k for a 30 second commercial. That's the budget for 4 anime episodes right there.
America isn't Japan and this is not how Japanese TV works.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:24 am

Adamant wrote:Meanwhile, TV Tokyo's most profitable cartoon franchise last year was Naruto, a show that doesn't even get a third of the viewership Super does.
Just a little fix, Naruto was the best-selling franchise in Tv Tokyo, but the most profitable was Yokai Watch:

http://www.animeanime.biz/archives/22740

Although what you say about ratings=/=success is correct, as Kai is proof, Tv Tokyo is considering not only merchandise sales in their math, but also box office and overseas licensing, which we know remain solid for Naruto, and the latter wouldn't be affected by the low ratings in Japan. Also, the movies they're counting here are more related to the manga than the tv anime, so all those factors together could be attenuating the ratings' drop when it comes to the money the franchise is making, but who knows.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:40 am

Araki wrote: Just a little fix, Naruto was the best-selling franchise in Tv Tokyo, but the most profitable was Yokai Watch:
You're right, I mixed up the two lists. Thanks. :oops:

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:26 am

HeroR wrote:
Adamant wrote:

Super's merchandise is selling when Kai's didn't. So, Super is a success rather you liked the show or not. Super is also only behind One Piece in sells and surpasses it in the worldwide market.
Kai didn't flopped! And I wouldn't say Super(Dragon Ball all franchise) surpasses One Piece in the worldwide market, because it only surpassed it in Worldwide Licenses, and that was because of the Movie. Though, summing the overseas sales this year Dragon Ball sold 30 Million yen more than One Piece.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:49 am

Bigivel wrote:
Kai didn't flopped! And I wouldn't say Super(Dragon Ball all franchise) surpasses One Piece in the worldwide market, because it only surpassed it in Worldwide Licenses, and that was because of the Movie. Though, summing the overseas sales this year Dragon Ball sold 30 Million yen more than One Piece.
Kai was seen as a flop, despite getting decent ratings because it didn't sell merchandise. Also, the last release from I think Q1 did have Dragon Ball ahead of One Piece, which wouldn't include the movie at this point since that would Q3 or Q4 sells.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:09 pm

HeroR wrote:
Bigivel wrote:
Kai was seen as a flop, despite getting decent ratings because it didn't sell merchandise. Also, the last release from I think Q1 did have Dragon Ball ahead of One Piece, which wouldn't include the movie at this point since that would Q3 or Q4 sells.
But here is the thing. It sold a lot of merchandise!

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:44 pm

Bigivel wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Bigivel wrote:
But here is the thing. It sold a lot of merchandise!
I'm afraid you're mistaken. It was detailed here before, but Kai actually managed to decrease sales, or at least, it never boosted any merchandising.

kenneth9265

Post by kenneth9265 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:04 pm

I hope Super keeps up the ratings since the Trunks saga began... I also hope Super goes on beyond 100 episodes...

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:40 pm

It'd be nice if it could stay above a 7.0 for a little while. There's only been a few episodes that have done that so far.

If they have better ratings with this arc then it might make them think that people prefer the more dark and serious arcs which could lead to more of them.