Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:35 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Is that seriously gonna be the excuse every time Super's ratings are down or will it be the holiday one?
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:Is that seriously gonna be the excuse every time Super's ratings are down or will it be the holiday one?
Yes, because is the more reasonal one when you take into account the ratings of all the other shows + whatever japanese things happens around that time and dont isolate DBS ratings data.
And that's not even taking into consideration that TV viewership as a whole in Japan is down from last year. If the whole TV block is down, then yes, Super's rating automatically suffer 99% of the time, regardless of what content is on. Especially since Super's timeslot means it's basically playing the role for the lead in of a more popular anime.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
Yes, because is the more reasonal one when you take into account the ratings of all the other shows + whatever japanese things happens around that time and dont isolate DBS ratings data.
And that's not even taking into consideration that TV viewership as a whole in Japan is down from last year. If the whole TV block is down, then yes, Super's rating automatically suffer 99% of the time, regardless of what content is on. Especially since Super's timeslot means it's basically playing the role for the lead in of a more popular anime.
Can I see some proof that the whole TV block is down from last year? Not just one inconclusive example, and Super is only the lead-in for One Piece so it has no effect on any other anime.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:13 pm

The whole tv market world wide is on a decline more or less. There are reports from 2015 about JO and there decline as well. Just do some search on google

Speaking about myself... I watch far less TV compared to some years ago. My main information and entertainment source is the internet

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:25 pm

Bullza wrote:So anime ratings are down across the board and it's now an excuse for people to randomly blame it on the quality of Dragon Ball Super even though it's in the exact same position it has been from the start....
It's just SaiyanGod117 they've been trying to push this agenda that DBS sucks and just can't accept it as a success, a huge success at that.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:25 pm

Kishido wrote:The whole tv market world wide is on a decline more or less. There are reports from 2015 about JO and there decline as well. Just do some search on google

Speaking about myself... I watch far less TV compared to some years ago. My main information and entertainment source is the internet
I've also seen conflicting reports about TV ratings, from how TV ratings have taken a dip due to streaming to how streaming really isn't effecting TV ratings at all.

Nonetheless, I think the main reason Super's ratings are down is because the show is garbage to mediocre.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:26 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Kishido wrote:The whole tv market world wide is on a decline more or less. There are reports from 2015 about JO and there decline as well. Just do some search on google

I've also seen conflicting reports about TV ratings, from how TV ratings have taken a dip due to streaming to how streaming really isn't effecting TV ratings at all.

Nonetheless, I think the main reason Super's ratings are down is because the show is garbage to mediocre.
OK so no need to talk further

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:28 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Bullza wrote:So anime ratings are down across the board and it's now an excuse for people to randomly blame it on the quality of Dragon Ball Super even though it's in the exact same position it has been from the start....
It's just SaiyanGod117 they've been trying to push this agenda that DBS sucks and just can't accept it as a success, a huge success at that.
I never said DBS wasn't a success.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Do the Japanese watch Super on the internet? I assume it's not legally streamed there because it would conflict with TV ratings, but they probably watch it online illegally.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:49 pm

I barely watch TV anymore. I stream almost everything now. It's just more convenient.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:52 pm

precita wrote:Do the Japanese watch Super on the internet? I assume it's not legally streamed there because it would conflict with TV ratings, but they probably watch it online illegally.
Japan is pretty strict about piracy though. I'm pretty sure you can go to jail for it.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:50 pm

Technically watching anything online is illegal that's not put up officially by companies or places with online subcriptions, but people do it anyway.

You think they don't upload Super episodes to Japanese youtube or something?

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:48 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I never said DBS wasn't a success.
The issue is the extreme hyperbole on both sides.
The Super anime when ranked against both its contemporaries and its own franchise is actually the worse performing property. It's average ranking is below even that of GT's. However it has been a success financially in selling properties of the Dragonball franchise. The premise that the Super anime in and of itself as a product is a huge success in either its ratings or in critical acclaim is just not true. Super remains, to this day on, on average, the worse debuted Dragonball show in terms of both per ratings(which count for little these days) and in rankings(to which I prefer to use a measure and give more stock to). The anime of Dragonball Super performs just fine as a product of itself. No more and no less.

I will say I predicted Super would struggle and would not resonate with western audiences: I still maintain this stance and will continue to watch the numbers for the funimation dub.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:55 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Yes, because is the more reasonal one when you take into account the ratings of all the other shows + whatever japanese things happens around that time and dont isolate DBS ratings data.
Can I see some proof that the whole TV block is down from last year? Not just one inconclusive example, and Super is only the lead-in for One Piece so it has no effect on any other anime.

Dude, if you want to crawl through 100 pages of comments and enter 1000 data points into an excel spreadsheet for me, I'm happy to run the numbers, plot some graphs, normalize the data, etc. But I don't really have time for that. Random examples it is for now.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:14 pm

You might as well not even use an example if it's just gonna be one.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:40 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:You might as well not even use an example if it's just gonna be one.
People are cherry picking data ALL OVER this thread. Every week, people complain about lower ratings without comparing it to the ratings of the other shows. I'm giving a counter example to say, hey, this is not the only TV show that has lower ratings. They all do. I've been posting numbers on this thread for 2 years. I'm aware of the general trend. If you want to collaborate on data mining, as I said, I'm happy to help analyze. The data is all there.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:05 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:

Then fuck off!!! Nobody is interested in your opinion, especially if you think that way about a show that is the central subject of this subforum. If you believe Super is garbage, you have no business being here.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:10 pm

I dont agree with SaiyanGod and I still think that was uncalled for.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:09 pm

SaiyanGod117, there's no need to make demands of people for stuff like this. Nobody has to prove anything to anyone else here.

Hit!!, there's no need to be so harsh about it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:32 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:

If you don't like the show,then why are you even here? You sound like you belong in the youtube comment section,not here.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:14 pm

FrostByte wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:

If you don't like the show,then why are you even here? You sound like you belong in the youtube comment section,not here.
There's more to Dragon Ball than just DBS, if you don't like what I have to say about it, then you better do your best to ignore it.

If you won't to see someone who belongs in a YT comment section than look four post up.