Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:44 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Dragon Ball is written like a Saturday morning Disney XD cartoon that's why people don't watch it, the show is garbage.
"People don't watch it"
Is that why it's consistently one of the top rated anime shows every single week?
TheMikado wrote:
The issue is the extreme hyperbole on both sides.
The Super anime when ranked against both its contemporaries and its own franchise is actually the worse performing property. It's average ranking is below even that of GT's. However it has been a success financially in selling properties of the Dragonball franchise. The premise that the Super anime in and of itself as a product is a huge success in either its ratings or in critical acclaim is just not true. Super remains, to this day on, on average, the worse debuted Dragonball show in terms of both per ratings(which count for little these days) and in rankings(to which I prefer to use a measure and give more stock to). The anime of Dragonball Super performs just fine as a product of itself. No more and no less.

I will say I predicted Super would struggle and would not resonate with western audiences: I still maintain this stance and will continue to watch the numbers for the funimation dub.
TV ratings in general are far, far lower now than they used to be, the top rated anime of each week doesn't even reach the same shares GT had, that's just the state of TV right now. The shows above Super are shows that have been running continuously for many, many years.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:29 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:Dragon Ball is written like a Saturday morning Disney XD cartoon that's why people don't watch it, the show is garbage.
"People don't watch it"
Is that why it's consistently one of the top rated anime shows every single week?
TheMikado wrote:
The issue is the extreme hyperbole on both sides.
The Super anime when ranked against both its contemporaries and its own franchise is actually the worse performing property. It's average ranking is below even that of GT's. However it has been a success financially in selling properties of the Dragonball franchise. The premise that the Super anime in and of itself as a product is a huge success in either its ratings or in critical acclaim is just not true. Super remains, to this day on, on average, the worse debuted Dragonball show in terms of both per ratings(which count for little these days) and in rankings(to which I prefer to use a measure and give more stock to). The anime of Dragonball Super performs just fine as a product of itself. No more and no less.

I will say I predicted Super would struggle and would not resonate with western audiences: I still maintain this stance and will continue to watch the numbers for the funimation dub.
TV ratings in general are far, far lower now than they used to be, the top rated anime of each week doesn't even reach the same shares GT had, that's just the state of TV right now. The shows above Super are shows that have been running continuously for many, many years.
Correct, which is also why I use the rankings, not the raw ratings as a measuring stick.

The main reason is that it can be compared against it's environment as all the shows it competes against are subject to the same time period and market.

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Even if it did lose ranking, the majority of sponsors are selling db related stuff. DBS currently allows the DB brand to make an insane amount of money, and everything sells beyond their expectations. So we can't stress enough how little those tv ratings matter.

And even then, it is indeed getting great rankings, despite "lower ratings" that almost every show is also suffering from.

It's like people really want it to fail and try to see slippery ratings as confirmation bias while ignoring everything else.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:34 pm

Slaythe wrote:Even if it did lose ranking, the majority of sponsors are selling db related stuff. DBS currently allows the DB brand to make an insane amount of money, and everything sells beyond their expectations. So we can't stress enough how little those tv ratings matter.

And even then, it is indeed getting great rankings, despite "lower ratings" that almost every show is also suffering from.

It's like people really want it to fail and try to see slippery ratings as confirmation bias while ignoring everything else.
Well you're looking at it differently which is why the conversation goes no where.

One group is looking at the anime as the primary product and saying its not as successful as previous entries. This is true. As stated before the anime, it and of itself has down the worse numbers of any debut Dragonball show property to date in every possible measure. This is a fact. Yes there are other external differences in the market but in any way that is measurable and comparable its worse.

On the flip side the anime is NOT the entire intention of the product. It is generating interest and revenue for the franchise as a whole.

So we end up with a circular argument with both sides being correct but not wanting to listen to the other because it doesn't play into their narrative.

Dragonball Super has been a commercial success in revenue generated through merchandising, licensing, and sales for the Dragonball franchise as a whole. While the anime has simultaneously underperformed every preceding debut Dragonball series in every quantifiable measure.

Basically Dragonball Super the anime is doing exactly what it was engineered to do.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:12 pm

The ironic thing is Super did seem to lose millions of viewers just in 2 years from 2015 to now.

Don't those ratings average millions of viewers per ranking? So if you do the math, what is it then? Super lost about 2 million viewers since 2015?

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:26 pm

I'm more surprised by One Piece's ratings. I know the anime is a rather poor product (and has been for a couple of years) but I never expected to see so many weeks with 5-6 ratings. I think, comparing it to Super, OP's decline has been bigger, hasn't it?
It's a shame because this arc is pretty great in the manga and, even if this forest part is the weakest of the arc, I thought the ratings would go up for Luffy vs Cracker.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:23 pm

emi_b7 wrote:I'm more surprised by One Piece's ratings. I know the anime is a rather poor product (and has been for a couple of years) but I never expected to see so many weeks with 5-6 ratings. I think, comparing it to Super, OP's decline has been bigger, hasn't it?
It's a shame because this arc is pretty great in the manga and, even if this forest part is the weakest of the arc, I thought the ratings would go up for Luffy vs Cracker.
Yeah, One Piece has been on surprising slump in ratings in the last few months. They used to averaging 8.0-9.0 but now struggle to pull in a rating close to 7.0. I perhaps the new content isn't enticing fans enough.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:27 pm

I hope it gets cancelled! No. I mean it! Wait a few years till there's no need for filler and away we go!

That will never happen though. Sad.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:50 pm

What, One Piece? The anime won't end till the manga does of course, and the manga doesn't seem to have any end planned anytime soon.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:48 pm

NOT THE MANGA! I love the manga! Ok I love the anime more but even I cant stand it as it is right now.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:58 pm

A person that keeps saying the same thing over and over again, despite being proven wrong several times and responds with "Super is garbage", is a troll in my eyes.

There's no reasoning with that person and mods are being too lenient with him. Which is why this forum is becoming infected with these cancerous users that only come here to bash on Super and the people who enjoy it. There are more and more users in this forum that keep ruining threads and interesting conversation with their malicious comments towards Super. And this hurts the forum for us users that want to have serious objective discussions.

I myself have been very critical of how the series has been handling itself story wise lately, but that's very different from saying "Super is garbage lol".

This forum is for people who like Super, not the other way around.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:32 pm

I think we should remember that the effect of television ratings going down throughout the years results in the ratings decreasing. This means that, now that we are continuously following them, it's expected we, at some point, watch the ratings decrease and stabilize before decreasing again. It's realy easy noticing that when we compare DB, DBZ, DBGT, DBK and DBS's ratings but it's way difficult when we're following them week after week. I believe that's probably where we are now, on the new downward trend.

What was done a couple pages back gives us the biggest clue: comparing the ratings from one year prior and see which place each anime would take if it was now (or back then). That helps put things in perspective.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:32 pm

Hit!! wrote:A person that keeps saying the same thing over and over again, despite being proven wrong several times and responds with "Super is garbage", is a troll in my eyes.

There's no reasoning with that person and mods are being too lenient with him. Which is why this forum is becoming infected with these cancerous users that only come here to bash on Super and the people who enjoy it. There are more and more users in this forum that keep ruining threads and interesting conversation with their malicious comments towards Super. And this hurts the forum for us users that want to have serious objective discussions.

I myself have been very critical of how the series has been handling itself story wise lately, but that's very different from saying "Super is garbage lol".

I'm pretty sure this forum is for people who like Dragonball, not the other way around. The problem is people thinking that liking Super is synonymous with liking Dragonball.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:43 am

TheMikado wrote:
Hit!! wrote: This forum is for people who like Super, not the other way around.
I'm pretty sure this forum is for people who like Dragonball, not the other way around. The problem is people thinking that liking Super is synonymous with liking Dragonball.
He probably meant this sub-forum, DBS section. There are other sections in Kanzenshuu where people that don't like DBS can be. Spend your time criticizing a show you obviously don't
like and spread negativity every day/every week seems stupid. Deny the fact that Super is a huge success because you don't like it it's stupider.

What you do with your free time it is up to you, but not everyone is willing to deal with that negativity forever.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:19 am

Hit!! wrote:A person that keeps saying the same thing over and over again, despite being proven wrong several times and responds with "Super is garbage", is a troll in my eyes.

You must have me confused with someone else, as I have not been proven wrong once. As far as I can see, Super is continually getting householdrating share percentages of four and five percents. With the average rating percentage being with lower then the ROF arc, and it will most likely continue to do so. You can continue with your disillusions of Super, but don't get mad when they get shot down.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:36 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:

You must have me confused with someone else, as I have not been proven wrong once. As far as I can see, Super is continually getting householdrating share percentages of four and five percents. With the average rating percentage being with lower then the ROF arc, and it will most likely continue to do so. You can continue with your disillusions of Super, but don't get mad when they get shot down.
People have proven you wrong multiple times in the last few pages. You're just willfully ignoring any arguments and too lazy to do any research yourself.
Feels over Reals.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:29 pm

RedHeat wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:

People have proven you wrong multiple times in the last few pages. You're just willfully ignoring any arguments and too lazy to do any research yourself.
Ok point me to the post where I was proven wrong.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:05 pm

TheMikado wrote:While the anime has simultaneously underperformed every preceding debut Dragonball series in every quantifiable measure.
Every preceding Dragon Ball series hasn't had alternate forms of distribution readily available within an hour (sometimes within minutes) of airing. Not just Crunchyroll on the English side of things, but Japanese streaming sites are very prolific these days and do not get shut down. I don't think we can have an honest discussion about ratings without acknowledging the downturn in TV ratings generally, which you can see with other shows (i.e. One Piece, Detective Conan) across the board.

Also, I don't think anyone here has an idea of what Fuji TV's desired ratings for Dragon Ball Super are or even know if a target number exists. So before we say "every quantifiable measure", let's try to back up that statement with complete quantifiable data.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:17 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Hit!! wrote: This forum is for people who like Super, not the other way around.
He probably meant this sub-forum, DBS section. There are other sections in Kanzenshuu where people that don't like DBS can be. Spend your time criticizing a show you obviously don't
like and spread negativity every day/every week seems stupid. Deny the fact that Super is a huge success because you don't like it it's stupider.

What you do with your free time it is up to you, but not everyone is willing to deal with that negativity forever.
Exactly, i was referring to this specific Sub Forum called "Dragon Ball Super".

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:41 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
TheMikado wrote:While the anime has simultaneously underperformed every preceding debut Dragonball series in every quantifiable measure.
Every preceding Dragon Ball series hasn't had alternate forms of distribution readily available within an hour (sometimes within minutes) of airing. Not just Crunchyroll on the English side of things, but Japanese streaming sites are very prolific these days and do not get shut down. I don't think we can have an honest discussion about ratings without acknowledging the downturn in TV ratings generally, which you can see with other shows (i.e. One Piece, Detective Conan) across the board.

Also, I don't think anyone here has an idea of what Fuji TV's desired ratings for Dragon Ball Super are or even know if a target number exists. So before we say "every quantifiable measure", let's try to back up that statement with complete quantifiable data.
To add to this, Super's time slot is also worse than the original shows.
This might prove a good read for people who want to know more about that: https://animetics.net/2015/08/18/shimiz ... #more-6685
Make sure to check out the sources too!

Let's remember that a lot happened in 20 years to the TV medium, so a sequel show pulling less than the original is not only expected, but actually the norm.

We also, for some reason, have stopped getting the DVR ratings, which are actually just as important as live ratings to determine the interest in a show. It would usually get quite above it's competitors and a lot of the shows that would usually beat it have ended by this point.

We have incomplete data and no knowledge about what ratings Toei and FujiTV were expecting, so saying that the show is underperforming is quite a stretch, especially since in every other category it's surpassing expectations. The only point were I'd say it's not really doing it's job as well as when it first begun is being a lead-in to One Piece, which fluctuates like crazy lately, but since neither lost their standings, I don't think anyone cares that much.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW