Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:24 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Some what I've gathered so far, Fuji TV made the unbelievably catastrophic error of airing both Kamen Rider and Super Sentai in the same timeslot and at the same time lead to a ratings vacuum, which has not brought down the entire blocks ratings, but greatly affected Super's ratings share. Immensely affecting the potential viewership for one of Super's most anticipated episodes. And as long as that remains the case, the ratings for which Super will attain from this point on will be much below the average it used be. But regardless of that fact, Dragon Ball Super will still remain in the top ten of the most view TV shows in Japan.

Have I got that all right?
I think you mean Asashi since Fuji TV didn't move anything.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Some what I've gathered so far, Fuji TV made the unbelievably catastrophic error of airing both Kamen Rider and Super Sentai in the same timeslot and at the same time lead to a ratings vacuum, which has not brought down the entire blocks ratings, but greatly affected Super's ratings share. Immensely affecting the potential viewership for one of Super's most anticipated episodes. And as long as that remains the case, the ratings for which Super will attain from this point on will be much below the average it used be. But regardless of that fact, Dragon Ball Super will still remain in the top ten of the most view TV shows in Japan.

Have I got that all right?
Pretty much, except it was the rival station (forgot the name) that made the move with Super Sentai/Kamen Rider.
Feels over Reals.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:49 pm

I could see them flipping Super a half hour earlier into Monster Hunter Stories' time slot to get it out of the Sentai Sandpit. That would put it against Toei's PreCure A La Mode but I'm not sure of the demographic overlap on those shows.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:59 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:I could see them flipping Super a half hour earlier into Monster Hunter Stories' time slot to get it out of the Sentai Sandpit. That would put it against Toei's PreCure A La Mode but I'm not sure of the demographic overlap on those shows.
I think they would have to move both One Piece and Super as both are being affected. And I do think they are a good pair.

Personally I think they need to find another place for the Sentai shows.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:07 pm

BlacXero wrote:Regardless of the rating this episode did extremely well. One evidence is google trend, if you don't believe it see the charts here:
https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... m%2F01hryy
It crashed the servers of Funimation, Crunchyroll, Daisuki, and I think a couple of illegal sites too, because a lot of people around the world wanted to see the Special as soon as possible, despite the time zone differences. No other anime does this because there's not other anime like Dragon Ball, and that alone is another testament to Dragon Ball Super success.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:13 pm

HeroR wrote:I think you mean Asashi since Fuji TV didn't move anything.
RedHeat wrote:Pretty much, except it was the rival station (forgot the name) that made the move with Super Sentai/Kamen Rider.
Okay. So TV Asahi moved Super Sentai/Kamen Rider to the same timeslot as Dragon Ball Super, it caused a ratings vacuum, and it affected the viewership for the double episode. And the decrease in ratings for both One Piece and Dragon Ball Super will stay as long as Super Sentai/Kamen Rider are in the same timeslot as those shows.

So... it is basically like the Monday Night Wars?

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:21 pm

TV ratings are like vs battle which is a trend, probably why fans put a lot of stock in it, they dont want DB losing to other shows.
Realistically what matters in anime as far as I'm concerned and from what I've experienced are the BD sales, thats really where it all boils down, but with Super it seems toy merchs has a part in it as well, how are the BD sales going for DBS anyways? all I hear are DVR and merchs which DBS is doing great as I hear.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:22 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
BlacXero wrote:Regardless of the rating this episode did extremely well. One evidence is google trend, if you don't believe it see the charts here:
https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... m%2F01hryy
It crashed the servers of Funimation, Crunchyroll, Daisuki, and I think a couple of illegal sites too, because a lot of people around the world wanted to see the Special as soon as possible, despite the time zone differences. No other anime does this because there's not other anime like Dragon Ball, and that alone is another testament to Dragon Ball Super success.

You know this really needs to be said... Comparing the Fuji TV airing to Streaming services to the Funi dub airings on American TV really does nothing at all.

People who watch it streamed with subs will continue to watch it streamed with subs.
That's a different audience than those who watch it live.
Which is also a different audience than those who watch it dubbed.

I say this because I see other threads where they say they need to catch up the dub to improve its ratings.
If you've been watching the sub this long you will likely still not want to wait a week or two for the dub to come out anyway and still watch the sub.
If you watch it live you're going to continue to do so unless you lose interest and just catch it when convenient.

In this case the live airing is a direct competition against other simultaneous airings. Networks and advertisers what to know where eyeballs are going during that specific time.
Anyway the long and short is that DB is an international success and property with its largest audience being overseas. The biggest audience DB has are those who are more than just casual DB fans, enough to want to watch it online on an anime service subbed.

In its individual markets for a wider audience, it does fine and ok. But its not lighting the world on fire, its previous fans of the franchise coming out in droves to watch it online but tv ratings show is general casual appeal is not rising and is actually dropping. DB will live on in some other medium. Likely where it has the most fans, but its continued airing is not a guarantee. However its ratings relative to other shows certainly will not be the reason its cancelled and my only be cancelled due to the expectations of performance vs actual perform. That's all.

Just to be clear. DB isn't going anywhere and even if Super were to end soon, something else DB related would take its place.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:39 pm

TheMikado wrote:
People who watch it streamed with subs will continue to watch it streamed with subs.
That's a different audience than those who watch it live.
Which is also a different audience than those who watch it dubbed.

Actually I don't agree with this as I've seen quite a few people on Tumblr and Twitter say they only watch Super subbed because the dub is so far behind and they prefer the dub voices. A lot of people never even watched Dragon Ball in Japanese until Super came along. They watch the sub because it is impossible to avoid spoilers (although there are some stalwarts who actually wait for the Toonami airing) So I definitely think the ratings for Super on Toonami would improve even if slighly if the dub was closer to the Japanese release.

But personally I don't really care as while it is nice to have Super on Toonami as long as I could still watch it on CR (and the dub later on BR) it wouldn't really matter to me. I prefer the show in Japanese. Super on toonami is an afterthought and surely the main US audience is consuming it through streaming.

In Japan it's different and the ratings are more important. Though in this case ratings fell because of external factors not necessarily because last Sunday people suddenly decided they no longer liked Super. I do expect the DVR numbers in Japan will show its still popular.
Last edited by Kinokima on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:39 pm

You guys do realize illegal streams don't give Toei any revenue, right? Who cares if some illegal spanish sub on youtube as 3.5+ million viewers? Toei does not get ANY money from that upload.

If it's not part of an official upload with Crunchyroll, Funimation, etc....Toei will not make a profit. I don't know why people are bringing up illegal uploaded eps on youtube or other sites, that hurts Super rather than helps it.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:47 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:how are the BD sales going for DBS anyways? all I hear are DVR and merchs which DBS is doing great as I hear.
DVD/BD sales are a bit difficult to quantify. The sales numbers themselves are about what should be expected from a long-running shonen anime, but the fact that it releases as 12-episode box sets instead of the more typical 3-4 episode singles makes it difficult to make a direct comparison to something like One Piece or Naruto.

KidGoku>3
Beyond Newbie

Post by KidGoku>3 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Kinda sick of seeing the same type of extreme replies every time Super gets a meh rating which is practically every week. Oh it's getting cancelled etc. I remember reading this here even 2 years ago lol. Yet 2 years later and here we are. And to the guy saying it's because of Jiren or whatever other character. That's not how ratings work. You can't predict the episode without watching it. It'll only affect the next few episodes. If anything the previous episodes would've contributed to this rating more than the current episode. And if you look carefully you'll see that DBS isn't the only one suffering from mismanagement. The one guy saying DB was always doing well with merchandise...have you any idea how much merchandise has risen with the emergence of DBS ? It's NOT getting canceled smdh.
precita wrote:The only way to save Super now is to move ahead to EOZ and focus on the younger generation like Trunks, Goten, Uub and Pan, etc.

Goku can still be around as a mentor, but it's time for the "next generation" to step up to the plate. Hopefully Gohan sticks around too.
I'm glad you're not the one in charge. Then Super would for sure be cancelled with those bad ideas.

Dragon Ball’s Son Goku is the number one hero for both Showa and Heisei eras. This speaks to the generation bridging popularity of Dragon Ball.
Even after decades. If anything he's the glue holding it all together.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:02 pm

precita wrote:You guys do realize illegal streams don't give Toei any revenue, right? Who cares if some illegal spanish sub on youtube as 3.5+ million viewers? Toei does not get ANY money from that upload.

If it's not part of an official upload with Crunchyroll, Funimation, etc....Toei will not make a profit. I don't know why people are bringing up illegal uploaded eps on youtube or other sites, that hurts Super rather than helps it.
It's 8+ million. I don't think that's the point people were getting at.

The show is extremely popular, it's in a class on it's own in terms of anime popularity. The views don't do anything for Toei bit the audience as large as that does help sell games and merchandise.

The games have received something of a renewed interest because of the new content from Super. So it's worth continuing the show just for things like that.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:09 pm

Bullza wrote:
precita wrote:You guys do realize illegal streams don't give Toei any revenue, right? Who cares if some illegal spanish sub on youtube as 3.5+ million viewers? Toei does not get ANY money from that upload.

It's 8+ million. I don't think that's the point people were getting at.

The show is extremely popular, it's in a class on it's own in terms of anime popularity. The views don't do anything for Toei bit the audience as large as that does help sell games and merchandise.

The games have received something of a renewed interest because of the new content from Super. So it's worth continuing the show just for things like that.
But DB has always had this level of interest. I didn't watch the movies when they first came out but I checked out the new forms on youtube. Dragonball had always been very popular.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:22 pm

Theophrastus wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:how are the BD sales going for DBS anyways? all I hear are DVR and merchs which DBS is doing great as I hear.
DVD/BD sales are a bit difficult to quantify. The sales numbers themselves are about what should be expected from a long-running shonen anime, but the fact that it releases as 12-episode box sets instead of the more typical 3-4 episode singles makes it difficult to make a direct comparison to something like One Piece or Naruto.
I made a thread for this. :P

GhoulEto

Post by GhoulEto » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:42 pm

We know that if they see Sub do not give Toei profit, but then why not Eliminate the video with more than 8m view, and so far not removed ah, Facil, that day there were a lot of videos of DBS in trends and Toei the I leave it to purpose, that gives more "popularity" to DBS to say it of some way

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:43 pm

I can accept all arguments but Super getting cancelled is plain dumb. It's selling TONS of merchandize and is one of the most profitable franchise in Japan right now. Super is nowhere near getting cancelled.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:24 am

Just a simple note:

Super Sentai and Kamen Rider are considered animation/anime in Japan, or at least for the people that gather the TV ratings.

And:

Super Sentai and Kamen Rider aren't Toei Animation propreties, but Toei Company. Toei Animation is the "son" of Toei Company, but in pretty much any way its run, even financially, is independent. Meaning that normally it doesn't receive any money from Toei Company and Toei Company doesn't receive any money from Toei Animation(other than as entity with public assets in the company, something that any person that buys Toei Animation receives).

Nobody talking about Time Bokan 24 season 2 vs My Hero Academia?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:07 am

Bigivel wrote:Just a simple note:

Super Sentai and Kamen Rider are considered animation/anime in Japan, or at least for the people that gather the TV ratings.

And:

Super Sentai and Kamen Rider aren't Toei Animation propreties, but Toei Company. Toei Animation is the "son" of Toei Company, but in pretty much any way its run, even financially, is independent. Meaning that normally it doesn't receive any money from Toei Company and Toei Company doesn't receive any money from Toei Animation(other than as entity with public assets in the company, something that any person that buys Toei Animation receives).

Is it something interesting?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:25 pm

HeroR wrote:
Bigivel wrote:Just a simple note:

And:

Is it something interesting?
Something interesting? Tima Bokan 24 season 2 is the substitute to My Hero Academia show. If we don't count the first episode recap of My Hero Academia(that didn't even was able to reach the Top 10) the first rated episode of MHA season 2 started with a 3.0 in TV rating. Right before MHA what was airing was Time Bokan 24 season 1 and that did significantly better than MHA season 2, Supposedly MHA was still doing pretty well for the timeslot(even though is the worst rated show of the timeslot except Denpa Kyoshi) is because the tendency is for declining TV ratings. Well, First episode of Time Bokan did better than all MHA episodes with the exception of its best episode that was able to achieve 4.5.
It will be interesting to see how Time Bokan 24 season 2 does, and after that MHA 3. We will be able to get an insight if is declining TV rates or really different viewership for the two shows.