Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:26 am

precita wrote:I love how people think established characters who have been around for decades will kill the franchise. Also you guys are kidding yourselves if you honestly believe Toei will never do anything with Pan or Uub either, given you can tell how much they want to use them but can't due to the current timeline.
They can be supporting characters but they should never be main characters.

That was one area where GT messed up and that at least still had Goku.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:02 pm

Ripper 30 wrote: But most young fans prefer Naruto over Dragon Ball there mostly girls.
Hell no, not even close. Dragon Ball has always been more popular than Naruto. Compare merchandize sales, TV ratings, manga sales, anything. The difference between Dragon Ball and Naruto is much larger than One Piece and Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball has always been a top tier franchise in Japan. Boruto is getting CRUSHED by DBS in TV ratings and Naruto manga's ending hasn't been passed 3 years yet. Naruto is already in decline in popularity.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:36 pm

One Piece sales are declining, Sentai are about to catch them up.

Boruto has given the Naruto franchise a boost(small to the other popular series though), and it will increase next year. Its a clear proof a New Generation of characters could carry the franchise if there is proper writing and characterization.

It wont kill DBS if they have an arc featuring the U6 Saiyan kids as Main Characters or if later on we see Uub,Pan, Goten, Trunks getting the focus.

kusanagi177

Post by kusanagi177 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:16 pm

Latest ratings.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:18 pm

kusanagi177 wrote:Latest ratings.
U6 Saiyan's bring in the views.
Feels over Reals.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:35 pm

Super did decently this week. Nothing special, but not too bad. Seeing it above 5.0 is good.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:37 pm

Cabba helps the show getting the highest rating in a while... then he gets trolled by Freeza.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:15 pm

Why would it have anything to do with specific characters? I'm not sure that people schedule their television viewing like that. O.o
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:17 pm

Those are actually amazing ratings considering the competition DBS and OP have now. Especially DBS, since it runs against Kamen Rider, which always had higher ratings than Super Sentai and is an EXTREMELY popular franchise. Rider has ratings way above the likes of Naruto/Boruto/Pokemon, for instance. That's the kind of show DBS is beating.

If anything, i hope Tv Asahi realizes the damage they did to their tokusatsu shows with the timeslot change. It's hurting their series way more than it did to DB/OP, and they were probably trounced this week.
Li'l Lemmy wrote:Why would it have anything to do with specific characters? I'm not sure that people schedule their television viewing like that. O.o
Week after week, some people just choose to ignore the fact it doesn't work like that, God knows why they keep doing that.

Anyway, Tv Asahi made the timeslot change a big deal. Now that things are settling down, it seems most of the Sunday audience is deciding to stay with One Piece and Dragon Ball. Nothing to do with whoever was featured.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:31 am

TV Asahi couldn't defeat the dbs/op hour after all; neat. :mrgreen:
I'm curious what if anything Toei's going to do or can do since all 4 of these are their shows.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:36 am

Strange how this week Super increased but then One Piece decreased, it's right on its tail this week.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:00 am

perucho1990 wrote:Cabba helps the show getting the highest rating in a while... then he gets trolled by Freeza.
According to a twitter user that talks to the Japanese fandom, people didn't like the episode that much, and that most were cheering Freeza on.

I'd guess Vegeta and Freeza were the reason fans tuned in this week.

Man, Freeza really is the dark horse of this arc.

But yeah, I really doubt it has anything to do with a specific character most of the time, especially now that the camera keeps going back and forth between teams.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:31 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: But most young fans prefer Naruto over Dragon Ball there mostly girls.
Hell no, not even close. Dragon Ball has always been more popular than Naruto. Compare merchandize sales, TV ratings, manga sales, anything. The difference between Dragon Ball and Naruto is much larger than One Piece and Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball has always been a top tier franchise in Japan. Boruto is getting CRUSHED by DBS in TV ratings and Naruto manga's ending hasn't been passed 3 years yet. Naruto is already in decline in popularity.
Yes Naruto sales are way less than Dragon Ball but I was talking about how the Japanese Anime fans think about the Quality of the Shows and maybe due to slightly more Mature or Relatable themes and overall quality they would prefer Naruto or even One Piece over Dragon Ball.
Dragon Ball and Pokemón have been selling well without a doubt but people may prefer One Piece and Naruto due to quality.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:58 am

It was like I said, the bad rating form last week was just due to it being a long running show and things are back to normal. At this point in time DB is too big for a massive failure like people dropping it this soon.
precita wrote:I love how people think established characters who have been around for decades will kill the franchise. Also you guys are kidding yourselves if you honestly believe Toei will never do anything with Pan or Uub either, given you can tell how much they want to use them but can't due to the current timeline.
These characters will most likely play major roles in the future but there's no way they'll fully take over from Goku and Vegeta.
Xeztin wrote:We are in a good situation here where it's made to sell toys.
Not really. had it been made to sell itself it would've been treated a lot better, both in terms of production and writing.
Ripper 30 wrote:Dragon Ball has been selling well without a doubt but people may prefer One Piece and Naruto due to quality.
Boruto and Super are both separate from their mangas so just talking about the original work of the 3, I agree that One Piece and Naruto have done things a lot better than DB like characters and worlds but even with that in mind, Z (Kai) will always be my favorite anime.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:23 am

sintzu wrote:
precita wrote:At this point I think they'll just go ahead and make Trunks, Goten, Pan, Uub, and maybe Bra or Maron the next major characters. It will be called, "Dragonball: The Next Generation" and focus on all the kid characters.
That's a franchise killer if I ever saw one.
Trust me. Goku is literally the face of DB. Take him away and the franchise dies. The recent DB Tenkaichi Budōsai main visual was Goku and all his forms!! He's already one of the faces for the Olympics too!

A spin off Manga is where the "next generation" will only happen I feel.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:12 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:
Yes Naruto sales are way less than Dragon Ball but I was talking about how the Japanese Anime fans think about the Quality of the Shows and maybe due to slightly more Mature or Relatable themes and overall quality they would prefer Naruto or even One Piece over Dragon Ball.
Dragon Ball and Pokemón have been selling well without a doubt but people may prefer One Piece and Naruto due to quality.

Japanese anime fans do not like Naruto more than Dragon Ball. You keep saying this but Naruto has never been more popular than Dragon Ball in Japan

Yes nothing tops the One Piece manga (which was influenced by Dragon Ball of course) but while Naruto is popular it’s not One Piece or Dragon Ball or Pokémon for that matter.

And if you are talking about fans looking for more “mature themes” then they would be looking in late night anime not children's shows

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:14 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Trust me. Goku is literally the face of DB. Take him away and the franchise dies. The recent DB Tenkaichi Budōsai main visual was Goku and all his forms!! He's already one of the faces for the Olympics too!
He is DB. No Goku = No DB.

Even in a spin off manga I doubt it would last long without him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:02 am

Kinokima wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:

Japanese anime fans do not like Naruto more than Dragon Ball. You keep saying this but Naruto has never been more popular than Dragon Ball in Japan

Yes nothing tops the One Piece manga (which was influenced by Dragon Ball of course) but while Naruto is popular it’s not One Piece or Dragon Ball or Pokémon for that matter.

And if you are talking about fans looking for more “mature themes” then they would be looking in late night anime not children's shows
Maybe that's what it looks like to me because from the few Japanese Anime fans I interacted with, most prefer Naruto and One Piece over Dragon Ball. Maybe because it only something which has got to do with newer Generation only. But while I was watching Animeman's video on a poll he created on top 100 Famous anime he told that Non Japanese Fans rated Dragon Ball way higher than Japanese one did and as he resides in Japan and interacts a lot with Japanese Otakus or YouTubers he told that they have moved on to better things than Dragon Ball and animes like One Piece, Sword Art online, Bleach, Tokyo Ghoul, Naruto Shippuden, Gintama, Puella Magi Madoka Magic, Tiger and Bunny and Love Live have became New Favourites. Pocket Monster and Dragon Ball will still continue to do well in selling Merchandises.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:12 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Yes Naruto sales are way less than Dragon Ball but I was talking about how the Japanese Anime fans think about the Quality of the Shows and maybe due to slightly more Mature or Relatable themes and overall quality they would prefer Naruto or even One Piece over Dragon Ball.

Maybe that's what it looks like to me because from the few Japanese Anime fans I interacted with, most prefer Naruto and One Piece over Dragon Ball. Maybe because it only something which has got to do with newer Generation only. But while I was watching Animeman's video on a poll he created on top 100 Famous anime he told that Non Japanese Fans rated Dragon Ball way higher than Japanese one did and as he resides in Japan and interacts a lot with Japanese Otakus or YouTubers he told that they have moved on to better things than Dragon Ball and animes like One Piece, Sword Art online, Bleach, Tokyo Ghoul, Naruto Shippuden, Gintama, Puella Magi Madoka Magic, Tiger and Bunny and Love Live have became New Favourites. Pocket Monster and Dragon Ball will still continue to do well in selling Merchandises.
I think you base your evidence on heresay. What you hear someone say or a poll here and there means nothing. I mean one Japanese youtubber is your evidence?

You keep saying they will keep selling merchandise. People don’t buy merchandise of things they don’t enjoy. Who would say DB Is such old news but let me keep spending my money on it?

Naruto was never as popular as Dragon Ball or One Piece in Japan. Surely fans will move onto new series and shows that doesn’t mean they stop loving the old. And quite frankly Naruto is a pretty old franchise too at this point. So no one has moved onto Naruto.

Plus 1/2 the series you name are late night anime and are not even really new hot thing in Japan (if you consider what new really is) They are old too at this point. Do you realize how many new anime series come out in Japan a year. There are tons of big series that sell really well and get a lot of merchandise and are very popular. That doesn’t mean Japan has moved on from Dragon Ball. It will always be a beloved franchise over there. Having new beloved franchises do not take away from the old ones.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:28 am

And Super's ratings are pretty much back to normal, people went nuts for no reason.