Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:07 pm

Araki wrote:Tv ratings, episode 7:

Sazae-san 8.8
One Piece - Episode of Sabo 8.6
Doraemon 8.3
Shin-chan 7.8
One Piece 7.1
Conan 6.3
Dragon Ball Super 6.0
Maruko-chan 5.5
Yokai Watch 4.4
Anpanman 3.9

An incredibly slow week (seriously, look at Maruko-chan), but Super was one of the few shows somewhat unaffected, even though the weekend series suffered the most.
i'm starting to wonder whether these summer weeks are an exception or the standards are actually getting even lower.
Seems like Episode of Sabo aired in a bad week.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:59 am

Doctor. wrote:
Bullza wrote:None of what I said had anything to do with ratings I know.
It can. Though character polls are more common in manga, can we assume get some for DBS too, since it's an anime-original?
It is possible...Toei had a popularity poll in their website for Saint Seiya Omega, when the first season of that show was airing.
It didn't affect the plot much though, if at all. One of the most voted characters was vastly downplayed in the 2nd season.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:38 pm

Araki wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
It can. Though character polls are more common in manga, can we assume get some for DBS too, since it's an anime-original?
It is possible...Toei had a popularity poll in their website for Saint Seiya Omega, when the first season of that show was airing.
It didn't affect the plot much though, if at all. One of the most voted characters was vastly downplayed in the 2nd season.
Probably, but Toriyama has shown that he likes to keep characters around if they're popular, like Vegeta for instance. Say Whis is extremely unpopular (though I highly doubt that), he may kill him off or give him less spotlight, or a new character who's very popular and they intended to kill him off can stay alive or get revived.

Either way, it's always interesting to see these characters polls to see what the fans in general thing. I assume Vegeta and Goku would always take number one and two, and Beerus would probably take 3 since he's in the spotlight right now. Maybe Freeza jumps to 4 or 5 in the F arc.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:02 pm

Doctor. wrote:Probably, but Toriyama has shown that he likes to keep characters around if they're popular, like Vegeta for instance. Say Whis is extremely unpopular (though I highly doubt that), he may kill him off or give him less spotlight, or a new character who's very popular and they intended to kill him off can stay alive or get revived.
Didn't he kill Vegeta on Namek because some fans wanted him to live?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:05 pm

Anyone have a link to previous polls?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:28 pm

The newest one I know of is from the Dragon Ball Forever guidebook, and even that's a little over 11 years old. :shock:

It's a long poll (20 characters long):

6235 - Gokû
2527 - Vegeta
2131 - Gohan
1487 - Trunks (Future Trunks and Kid Trunks count as the same character for this poll)
1176 - Piccolo
798 - Goten
736 - Kuririn
421 - Buu
324 - Freeza
204 - 18
201 - Mr. Satan
185 - Karin
172 - Kamesennin
170 - Cell
163 - Yamcha
125 - Tenshinhan
112 - Bulma
98 - 17
93 - Yajirobe
86 - Videl

Sources:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/databook/non-daizenshuu/
My own copy of DB Forever.

EDIT: I may as well type up the entire poll contents. Added to post.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:03 pm

Holy shit. :shock:

I knew DB fans in Japan loved Goku, but I didn't think the gap would be that big. It's literally Goku > Everyone else. Pretty meta though when you think about it.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:17 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Holy shit. :shock:

I knew DB fans in Japan loved Goku, but I didn't think the gap would be that big. It's literally Goku > Everyone else. Pretty meta though when you think about it.
I think it's interesting just how much of a lead he takes over even Vegeta. And how close Vegeta and Gohan's vote totals are.

Viz did their own poll taking votes from U.S. fans back in October of 03 around when they started their own Jump publication; same top-5, but Vegeta won (and even then, he only beat Gokû by a few hundred points). I only know all this because I drew a little chart for it waaaaaay back when this stuff came out. ^^;

Old chart:
So Vegeta at the time (probably now too?) was most popular in the U.S., where Gokû was (and probably is) the most popular in Japan.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:20 am

That's pretty interesting. I suppose the Top 5 don't really surprise me, what does surprise me is seeing Karin (Korin right?) being higher than Cell or him just appearing on the list even at all. Did they not care for Cell for something?

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:30 pm

DVR ratings, week of August 10th - August 16th (episode 6)

http://www.tvguide.or.jp/ranking/timerr ... index.html

1 - Yokai Watch
2 - One Piece
3 - Detective Conan
4 - Arslan Senki
5 - Gintama
6 - Dragon Ball Super
7 - Laplace
8 - Ore Monogatari
9 - Ushio to Tora
10 - Kamen Rider Drive

Putting this and live ratings together, DB Super was the 4th or 5th most watched anime of the week, beaten by Sazae, OP and Conan, probably by Yokai Watch too.
Last edited by Araki on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:30 pm

Okay, I can't be the only one noticing this, it's definitely falling down.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:42 pm

Doctor. wrote:Okay, I can't be the only one noticing this, it's definitely falling down.
More or less, it's more like it's still finding and establishing its place. If we analyze the rankings week by week, that is more clear.

Episode 1 - 4th place (live ratings) and 6th place (DVR)
Episode 2 - 7th and 2nd
Episode 3 - 5th and 2nd
Episode 4 - 7th and 3rd
Episode 5 - 5th and 5th
Episode 6 - 6th and 6th

Episodes 2 through 4 seem to have caught a lot of attention by recorders, but other than that it's not changing much.
My guess is that part of the recorders, supposedly older fans, realized this is a part of the story they've seen before.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:54 pm

Doctor. wrote:Okay, I can't be the only one noticing this, it's definitely falling down.
i dont know if this is a good or bad thing but its falling down because the show is bad. Not sure about Japan and kids but i know many 90s kids my age who grew up with DBZ have already given up on the show.

Either the later half of Super gets better to get the ratings up or they really need actually put some thought and money into season 2.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:40 am

Shinsa wrote:
i dont know if this is a good or bad thing but its falling down because the show is bad. Not sure about Japan and kids but i know many 90s kids my age who grew up with DBZ have already given up on the show.

Either the later half of Super gets better to get the ratings up or they really need actually put some thought and money into season 2.
The reason the ratings are falling is because the novelty of retelling the movies seems to be wearing off with the audience.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by precita » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:14 am

Yeah I also assume ratings will improve after the movie adaptions are over. But given we still have the Freeza movie to get through it'll be a while.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:04 am

Chuquita wrote:
Woah! Higher than One Piece! :shock:

Way to go Super.

I guess this means a lot of Super's audience prefers to sleep in on Sundays.
I am actually surprised, given how great last episodes of One Piece were. I never got such an enjoyment from the series as I got from these last episodes, since Punk Hazard started.
precita wrote:It would honestly amuse me if Super only lasts around 64 episodes like GT did. I don't know, I have trouble seeing a 100+ episode series in this day and age.
You don't even need to go far, Saint Seiya Omega. Though it is not exactly 100 episodes, but very close with having 97 episodes. Out of current popular series: Naruto, One Piece, Detective Conan, Fairy Tail (though it got the 2nd season) etc. Don't know how current Yu-Gi-Oh series do now, but earlier seasons had 100+ episodes.
DragonHermit wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I've been so swept up in the current goings-on that I forgot all about that future arc's thick plot. :shock:
Uni 6 arc's gonna be fun (I hope); can't wait. X3

I'm fine with following Super for as long as it continues. I've been following Precure since halfway through Fresh (granted they do a complete reboot each year), atm I'm having a lot of fun following Super.
Well One Piece has been going on for god knows how long, and it's still amazing and exciting. No reason DBS can't be the same.
As for the last couple of episodes, yeah. But most of Dressrosa was largely disappointing. Punk Hazard was even more disappointing than it.
Doctor. wrote:It doesn't go downhill if you have competent writers who care for their creation, and are not just continuing the series out of some sense of obligation towards the fans or are milking it. One Piece keeps getting better and better, arguably of course, mainly because Oda has had most of his story planned out from the start.
Oda on the contrary said, that he is forced to rush the whole thing, because if he writes it the way he wishes, it will never end, lol. And I am sad with it.
Chuquita wrote:
I agree with this; I follow One Piece through the manga and the movies (I'm definitely gonna watch that Sabo special now that I know Funi got the rights to simulcast it--go Funi!) and I've been following that since 2009. Oda's got amazing foreshadowing and world-building skills. Also I'm so so happy that we're finally leaving Dressrosa; nothing against the place but it's been incredibly long of an arc compared to all those that came before it.
I am sooooo tired from this Dressrosa arc. Nothing in any anime got me as tired as this... When it finally ends?... Yeah, I know that manga is close, but I am still getting a feeling that it just never ends.
DragonHermit wrote:
please be careful about spoilers for the one piece anime-only watchers like myself :)

I think Toriyama might be taking a page out of Oda's book. There is a reason he mentioned the 12 universes in BoG. He must have something detailed planned and crafted and isn't just improvising like he did with DBZ.

Granted I think DBZ's plot was pretty good for improvisation, but I would like to see something more sophisticated in terms of structure. It would be nice knowing the author knows exactly where the show is going and how it is going to end.
Oda's worldbuilding and writing in overall IMO is much better than Toriyama's one. This was exactly why I always loved One Piece so much. By the way, where did you see spoilers? Oo I don't see them. And to be honest there is nothing much to spoil from manga (besides one thing), as everything important was already shown in anime

But I'll make a not of it, I will spoiler tag events from One Piece manga from now on.
DragonHermit wrote:Episode of Sabo was a joke. They just rehashed clips from other OP episodes. There couldn't have been more than 30 seconds of original new animation out of a 2 hour special.
I'm with you on this, man. So disappointing. A remake of Dressrosa before it even ended? Now that's just stupid.
Bullza wrote:
I mean, in the most recent character poll, he ranked 5th.
I saw that list recently and for the first time Zoro wasn't second. I'm actually not all that surprised though, ever since Law was introduced people like Zoro and Sanji do feel like they've pushed aside quite a bit.

Luffy, Zoro and Sanji were always the monster trio who fought the three strongest enemies but now Sanji doesn't really do anything and it was Law who got to fight Vergo and then Doflamingo.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't become a permanent member of the crew.

None of what I said had anything to do with ratings I know.
I doubt that Law joins. I'll spoiler tag in case someone didn't keep up with the last episodes of One Piece, but it was already revealed in the anime.
Plus we all know what the real goal of Law was all along after seeing the flashback, he has very overpowered devil fruit powers, probably very close if not on par with Sugar's ones, as well as he has his own crew. Luffy won't accept Law if he abandons his crew. Luffy hates these kind of things. At most I can see Law becoming Luffy's nakama, or even brother, the same way as Ace and Sabo did, but not more than that. He is too overpowered, a strong leader, and has his own crew. He won't have a need to join Luffy IMO.

We should note that Sanji lost to Vergo (I'll add again the stuff from the last episodes of One Piece in spoiler tag, in case someone didn't keep up with them)
Sanji's loss is still admirable. Luffy's (to Monet) is not
Araki wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Who was this character? I am just interested.

What about ratings, Super is not that bad IMO, it even get once higher than One Piece, what I am surprised with is that Conan was so low... But I dunno, I am still in 250+ episodes, so far looks great to me.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:29 am

Obviously, it will fall down compared to the first episodes due to the expectation of the first episodes.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:19 pm

Mystic Tien wrote:
Araki wrote: It is possible...Toei had a popularity poll in their website for Saint Seiya Omega, when the first season of that show was airing.
Who was this character? I am just interested.
Yuna, she was the most voted amongst the new generation (4th), but ended up being almost irrelevant in the 2nd season.

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/seiya/sp/ ... index.html

Genbu was 5th and he was killed off. Hyoga was the 2nd, but they didn't allow him to wear the Aquarius cloth. One could argue Seiya was voted the most popular and got more screentime, but seeing how the first season ended, it wouldn't make any sense to leave him out of the action again.

TheDBZmaster100
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDBZmaster100 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:38 pm

Law's/Doflamingo Flashback was one of the best things from the Dressrosa arc &
(the arc in general was subpar and mundane with PIS/CIS being rampant in the arc and

New world has been a huge disappointment but I did prefer Punk Hazard over the other two arcs. It's been 2+ years and we still haven't left this cursed island :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

The next couple of episodes will be terrible however due to the chapters that are being adapted so I'll see how Japan reacts to it (wouldn't be surprised if they actually do enjoy it.

DBS is so far terrible and such a chore to watch, I'm eagerly waiting for some new content and the actual appearance of Champa and his attendant.

Soul of Gold is simply awful, with it's non-stop regurgitated plot devices that can be seen from it's several canon arcs ( Temples, mini bosses, big bosses, so damn formulaic) and Aiolia turning into a Seiya 2.0. Such a terrible spin-off. SOG rehashing Asgard arc( one of the best filler arcs in shonen which arguable is better than the Sanctuary saga ) - ( I wish this arc didn't exist, meaning that Bleach wouldn't have existed in the first place, yes... SS arc, the best arc in Bleach is heavily influenced, I mean it's a bad Sanctuary Saga rip off).

So yes, read OP manga, avoid SOG since it's horrible and DBS needs to hurry up with this snail-like, god awful pacing.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:11 pm

The only thing I'm curious about Super tv ratings is to see if they will improve, once we start to get new content.
Fans are eager for that.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.