Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Bigivel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:21 am

You shouldn't just look at the position a series is, and instead of being worried about Dragon Ball Super you should be worried about the entirety of anime(At least the ones not late-night), because on TV Anime is not the only thing that airs, and if anime becomes unpopular, it will be replaced by other kind of show.

If like some people say that Dragon Ball Super franchise success doesn't depend of its TV ratings, so it also means that the anime doesn't need to be airing. Remember doing the anime and placing in the slot cost money. Why expending extra money when you can just earn the money from merchandise, licensing and other venues?

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:15 pm

Yeah. Some people have taken the opposite extreme in order to defend DBS. The fact that Fuji TV is highest on the production committee is enough proof that rating does matter, but what is satisfactory ratings for them is unknown. I assume they're happy with the show's performance though.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:20 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Yeah. Some people have taken the opposite extreme in order to defend DBS. The fact that Fuji TV is highest on the production committee is enough proof that rating does matter, but what is satisfactory ratings for them is unknown. I assume they're happy with the show's performance though.
Of course they matter to an extent, but not enough to kill or decide the fate the DBS franchise.
Feels over Reals.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:55 pm

I imagine the plan for Super is a 5 year run. We're in year 2, so I imagine another 3 years and that'll be it.

Super will have over 200 episodes by the end of the 5th year, so that be nearly as long as DBZ's run.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:49 pm

precita wrote:I imagine the plan for Super is a 5 year run. We're in year 2, so I imagine another 3 years and that'll be it.

Super will have over 200 episodes by the end of the 5th year, so that be nearly as long as DBZ's run.

The initial plan was only around 2 years. So I would assume they will extend this arc a little bit, and then decide if they will continue and with what.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:00 am

Bigivel wrote:
precita wrote:I imagine the plan for Super is a 5 year run. We're in year 2, so I imagine another 3 years and that'll be it.

The initial plan was only around 2 years. So I would assume they will extend this arc a little bit, and then decide if they will continue and with what.
If Toriyama is still writing he has most likely already finished writing the outline for the next arc.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:54 pm

I doubt there is any plan for how long Super will run at this point, unless they are planning an immediate sequel. This show will likely run until Dragon Ball isn't making enough money anymore.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:24 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I doubt there is any plan for how long Super will run at this point, unless they are planning an immediate sequel. This show will likely run until Dragon Ball isn't making enough money anymore.
But it'll always make money through merch.

I mean the last thing I want to see is Dragonball become the next Simpsons or Pokemon and run for 20+ years indefinitely with no end in mind. Dragonball isn't the type of show that can run forever since it's serialized.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:06 pm

TV ratings are out.

At least it's in 5th now, an basically no change since 102 I guess.

But man...Everything's slouching. Can't remember when Conan was in the 4 percentages.
Feels over Reals.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:54 pm

Two years ago Sazae San was doing 13/14% an episode. Now it's done to 8ish%.

Everything has dropped quite hard and quite fast. I wonder if DVR ratings have increased drastically or something.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:16 pm

Bullza wrote:Two years ago Sazae San was doing 13/14% an episode. Now it's done to 8ish%.

Everything has dropped quite hard and quite fast. I wonder if DVR ratings have increased drastically or something.
I keep saying this, but somethings definitely off. While everything in the king seats keep lowering, a show like MHA seems like it's entering the Top 10 more frequently.

But I did a quick Google search and it turns out shows like Super Sentai are also slouching in ratings in recent months/years, so I guess Japanese TV as whole is in a large downturn.
Feels over Reals.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:21 pm

I know we had the DVR ratings for a while. What happened to them?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:32 pm

RedHeat wrote:
Bullza wrote:Two years ago Sazae San was doing 13/14% an episode. Now it's done to 8ish%.

I keep saying this, but somethings definitely off. While everything in the king seats keep lowering, a show like MHA seems like it's entering the Top 10 more frequently.

But I did a quick Google search and it turns out shows like Super Sentai are also slouching in ratings in recent months/years, so I guess Japanese TV as whole is in a large downturn.
Only reason Academia eventually shows up is because Doraemon and Shin chan keep taking breaks.
It should be doing better considering its great timeslot though, and 2.7 is still far below the best it did.
But yeah, Japanese tv ratings have been going through a slow decline ever since mid-2011 or so.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:33 pm

RedHeat wrote:TV ratings are out.

But man...Everything's slouching. Can't remember when Conan was in the 4 percentages.
I can't see this pic for some reason, can you write it out in post/text form? The pic isn't loading for me. Curious about all the shows too, not just Super.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:41 pm

precita wrote:
RedHeat wrote:TV ratings are out.

I can't see this pic for some reason, can you write it out in post/text form? The pic isn't loading for me. Curious about all the shows too, not just Super.
Here you go:

1. Sazae: 8.4%
2. One Piece: 5.9%
3. Chibi Maruko-chan: 5.8%
4. Detective Conan: 4.9%
5. Dragon Ball Super: 4.4%
6. Pokemon sun and moon: 3.4%
7. Thomas the Tank: 3.2%
8. Curious George: 3.0%
9. Furusato visiting Japan's long legacy: 2.8%
10. My hero Academia: 2.7%
Feels over Reals.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:43 pm

Thanks. Seems like ratings for every show is very low for some reason. My Hero Academia only gets in the 2.0's and Naruto/Boruto never chart, not to mention other long runners like Precure and Yu-gi-oh are often out of the top 10, so I think Super being consistent is good and well.

I mean when stuff like Thomas the Tank engine and Curious George are among the top 10 shows in Japan....I think that says a lot.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:38 pm

Geez. Everything is so low.

How the hell is one piece number 2 with just 5.9.

Why is detective conan so low?

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:00 am

precita wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:I doubt there is any plan for how long Super will run at this point, unless they are planning an immediate sequel. This show will likely run until Dragon Ball isn't making enough money anymore.

I mean the last thing I want to see is Dragonball become the next Simpsons or Pokemon and run for 20+ years indefinitely with no end in mind. Dragonball isn't the type of show that can run forever since it's serialized.
I thought that of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! (Even Naruto) But Dragon Ball already is an uneverending series. They have multiple universes, Heroes, an entire animation studio, a room soley for DB material, Shueisha, Toyotaro and Toriyama himself. It already has around 5-6 manga spin-offs. Doujin artists like Dragon Garow Lee are being hired for side projects, That Yamcha comic almost caught up to the popularity of Super itself in my opinion, it multiplied DGL's followers from around 10k near 100k. We have a crap ton of games with their own stories, and Dimps creating OG characters. They are making 4D movies.. The franchise will be milked until it's raitings drop with or without Toriyama. DGL stated he makes his living off his DB Doujinshi by itself which is something remarkable to me. I don't think Goku will always be the main character, which makes a lot of people wonder how that'd work... BUT its possible if they can create an interesting enough cast. Naruto was replaced, Yugi was as well. It's not guarenteed to work, but it's possible.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:46 am

"In 2017, the peak of the Obon travel season is anticipated to take place between August 11 and August 20. The busiest days are expected to be around August 11-12 with people leaving the big cities and August 15-16 with people returning to the big cities."
That's why everything was low, it was a big festival week.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:33 am

Xeztin wrote:
precita wrote:

I thought that of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! (Even Naruto) But Dragon Ball already is an uneverending series. They have multiple universes, Heroes, an entire animation studio, a room soley for DB material, Shueisha, Toyotaro and Toriyama himself. It already has around 5-6 manga spin-offs. Doujin artists like Dragon Garow Lee are being hired for side projects, That Yamcha comic almost caught up to the popularity of Super itself in my opinion, it multiplied DGL's followers from around 10k near 100k. We have a crap ton of games with their own stories, and Dimps creating OG characters. They are making 4D movies.. The franchise will be milked until it's raitings drop with or without Toriyama. DGL stated he makes his living off his DB Doujinshi by itself which is something remarkable to me. I don't think Goku will always be the main character, which makes a lot of people wonder how that'd work... BUT its possible if they can create an interesting enough cast. Naruto was replaced, Yugi was as well. It's not guarenteed to work, but it's possible.
You have to understand. Naruto wasn't replaced. His saga ended and he went from main to main support. He is still there and they will use him to milk some ratings if boruto gets owned by someone.
In db they could always do that for Goku and Vegeta. Keep them as mentors or make them go away on a universe as we follow the earthlings and Gohan protecting the earth

Also people should stop caring for ratings. These ratings mostly refer to kids till 14 at most years old. Kids who don't care for bloody battles and prefer butt jokes. Merchandise sales are crucial. Everything else is unimportant. Especially, when db is loved in every official streaming site