Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Totamo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Totamo wrote:Man, TV is dying.
Streaming's the future, for better or worse.

Viewers get to decide when to watch what, but appealing to massive audiences will continue to get more difficult so there will be fewer shows that people across all places will have in common.

It's why rebooting classic shows from the boomer, X, and early millennial eras is so popular, but really it's only a temporary fix since they won't be able to tap into future generations to that great a magnitude.
At least my TV doesn't buffer like a bitch

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Totamo wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
Totamo wrote:Man, TV is dying.
Streaming's the future, for better or worse.

Viewers get to decide when to watch what, but appealing to massive audiences will continue to get more difficult so there will be fewer shows that people across all places will have in common.

It's why rebooting classic shows from the boomer, X, and early millennial eras is so popular, but really it's only a temporary fix since they won't be able to tap into future generations to that great a magnitude.
At least my TV doesn't buffer like a bitch
What I'm going to miss most about TV is how much easier it is to stumble upon and discover shows you've never seen before by flipping channels. I'm going to miss the shared pop culture that crosses such big audiences; I feel like the future is micro audiences of niche shows which leads to people who otherwise don't have much in common to have even less to talk to each other about.

On the other hand the internet has allowed, again for better or worse, millions of people to be media personalities who never would've gotten to be through traditional mediums.

The internet itself is such a double edged sword; it's all in how you use it I guess.

*Tries to bring this back around to Dragon Ball*.

But if it wasn't for the internet we'd all be following Super through used video stores and flea markets like I've heard early 90's fans used to. Getting to see it the day it airs in Japan is pretty cool.

Even if we still had the Funi dub we'd still all be a year and a half behind.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Any ratings for the latest ep yet, or is it too early?

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:40 am

precita wrote:Any ratings for the latest ep yet, or is it too early?
Oh, sorry. Been trying to distance myself a bit.

The ratings haven't been updated for whatever reason. Maybe later in another day or so, or next week.
Feels over Reals.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:10 am

TV ratings for week of 11th Sept to 17th Sept 2017
Source : http://www.videor.co.jp/tvrating/

Sazae-san - 13.3%
Crayon Shin-chan - 8.9%
Chibi Maruko-chan - 8.8%
Doraemon - 8.6%
One Piece - 7.6%
Detective Conan - 7.5%
Dragon Ball Super - 5.5%
Kirakira Pretty Cure A la Mode - 4.0%
Anime Osuri no George - 3.9%
My Hero Academia - 3.9%

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:37 am

Hey, it went up by 5 and but down a position.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:24 am

Wow, pokemon didn't even make the top 10 this week, and it was the episodes Misty/Brock returned too. Guess Japanese pokemon fans really don't care much for Misty/Brock like westerners do. Not that this is a surprise, since most of us have known this for a decade, but still.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Sazae 12.7
Chibi Maruko-chan 8.9
Detective Conan 6.8
one piece 6.0
Dragon ball super 5.3
Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon 4.5
Glittering Pretty Cure Ara Mode 3.9
Snack World 3.5
My Hero Academia 3.4
Curious George 2.7

--

Well people were more interested in the Misty vs Ash pokemon battle, and tbh the animation in the fight was really good.

As for DBS goes it only decreased for a bit, but its still did over 5.0.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:33 pm

5th place! Nice! Super hasn't been that high in several weeks.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:27 pm

I finally started watching Boku no Hero Academia and it's such an awesome show!! It's totally living up to my expectations!

It's also a slap in the face of Madhouse fanboys who think no other anime studio can produce quality work like Madhouse. Unlike overrated trash like One Punch Man, it's good to see a new series that deserves all the hype around it, so I'm glad it can reach the top 10 a few times. Something that Boruto after 20+ episodes still doesn't know how it tastes like.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:38 pm

I didn't think the first season was anything special whatsoever. To say I only watched it last year I've mostly forget what happened in it.

Either the second season is significantly better or it's just not for me.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:42 pm

Bullza wrote:I didn't think the first season was anything special whatsoever. To say I only watched it last year I've mostly forget what happened in it.

Either the second season is significantly better or it's just not for me.
The second season is much better, but it's just more of the same. It's not a groundbreaking show, it just perfects a lot of the Shounen formula.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:24 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:I finally started watching Boku no Hero Academia and it's such an awesome show!! It's totally living up to my expectations!

It's also a slap in the face of Madhouse fanboys who think no other anime studio can produce quality work like Madhouse. Unlike overrated trash like One Punch Man, it's good to see a new series that deserves all the hype around it, so I'm glad it can reach the top 10 a few times. Something that Boruto after 20+ episodes still doesn't know how it tastes like.
Wait until season 2, BNHA gets MUCH better. It's not a generic battle shonen anymore
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:28 pm

I should check out BNHA a lot of my friends really love it. Although I tend to avoid new shounen franchises these days .

Maybe after the fall though as that is an incredibly busy season for me in terms of things I want to watch.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:43 pm

As much as I'd love to join in and sing the praises of both My Hero Academia and One-Punch Man, neither of those series are Dragon Ball, nor is there being any comparison drawn to Dragon Ball, so...?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Son Vegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Vegito » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:57 pm

I try to like BNHA, but this show just isn't for me. I've been watching it weekly since the first episode, and I only liked the Stain arc which is like 5 episodes long. Perhaps I'm getting too old and being tired of seeing young kids going to the academy, developing, having childish conversations which each other etc., but MHA certainly isn't me giving what I felt during watching Naruto 8 years ago. I also really hate the world setting and symplistic art style for the characters and background that the studio is using. There is just a hype surrounding MHA currrently because it is new. It isn't even that popular in Japan.

Will DBS appear twice in the next list or just one? I think the second episode will contain the new form.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:43 pm

Yeah I pretty much understand the sentiment of people not liking MHA as well, it isnt for me too, shonen like Gintama,7 deadly sins and DBS are more up my alley, BNHA is just.. boring, and I'm not a fan of how the MC acts, when I'm not into the MC I drop the show just like what happened with OP, this is why I'm amazed at people still watching DBS despite their dislike of Goku, I mean I like Zoro and Bakugo but my dislike for the MC's of their show couldnt get me to endure it, plus I guess I'm not a fan on how Deku and Luffy got their powers, they werent born with it, Luffy ate a fruit and Deku ate a hair.

Oh btw, sorry if I joined the conversation of including other shows, couldnt resist it.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:56 pm

Son Vegito wrote:I try to like BNHA, but this show just isn't for me. I've been watching it weekly since the first episode, and I only liked the Stain arc which is like 5 episodes long. Perhaps I'm getting too old and being tired of seeing young kids going to the academy, developing, having childish conversations which each other etc., but MHA certainly isn't me giving what I felt during watching Naruto 8 years ago. I also really hate the world setting and symplistic art style for the characters and background that the studio is using. There is just a hype surrounding MHA currrently because it is new. It isn't even that popular in Japan.

Will DBS appear twice in the next list or just one? I think the second episode will contain the new form.
You should read the manga then, the show only gets better from season 2. And it's much, much better paced than Naruto.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Son Vegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Vegito » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:45 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:Yeah I pretty much understand the sentiment of people not liking MHA as well, it isnt for me too, shonen like Gintama,7 deadly sins and DBS are more up my alley, BNHA is just.. boring, and I'm not a fan of how the MC acts, when I'm not into the MC I drop the show just like what happened with OP, this is why I'm amazed at people still watching DBS despite their dislike of Goku, I mean I like Zoro and Bakugo but my dislike for the MC's of their show couldnt get me to endure it, plus I guess I'm not a fan on how Deku and Luffy got their powers, they werent born with it, Luffy ate a fruit and Deku ate a hair.

Oh btw, sorry if I joined the conversation of including other shows, couldnt resist it.
While I'm not the biggest fan of Super, I still enjoy it more than MHA. It picks my interests because these are the characters I grew up with and I adore the Dragonballverse. With MHA, as soon as the story focuses on anyone other than All Might, All for One, Deku, Bakugo, Iida, Todoroki, Gran torino or Endevour, I almost fall asleep and don't care for it at all. I also find this to be the lamest world setting(Japanese super hero setting) out of all battle shonen that I've watched. So my biggest complaints about the series are uninteresting side characters and the appeal of the world. MHA with Black Clover's world setting would've, made me enjoy the series a lot more.

The 7 deadly sins is the only show of the new era(Black Clover, MHA, 7DS) that I enjoy as much as the ones from the 90s and 00s.

Faisal Shourov wrote:You should read the manga then, the show only gets better from season 2. And it's much, much better paced than Naruto.
Since I'm not that hyped for the series, I can easily wait for season 3. I heard that is going to be the best one, and I'm genuinely under the impression that the anime does things more hype than the manga. At least from what I've heard.

ChocoBar9

Post by ChocoBar9 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:14 pm

Son Vegito wrote:I try to like BNHA, but this show just isn't for me. I've been watching it weekly since the first episode, and I only liked the Stain arc which is like 5 episodes long. Perhaps I'm getting too old and being tired of seeing young kids going to the academy, developing, having childish conversations which each other etc., but MHA certainly isn't me giving what I felt during watching Naruto 8 years ago. I also really hate the world setting and symplistic art style for the characters and background that the studio is using. There is just a hype surrounding MHA currrently because it is new. It isn't even that popular in Japan.
By that logic every new thing that comes out should get hyped. Must be doing something right to get people to still talk about it 3 years down the line. I also consider any series that regularly gets into the top 10 ratings share in Japan as popular or else why would people be watching an unpopular show every week.