Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:20 pm

Chuquita wrote:Been semi-under-the-weather today and I was reading ratings talk in the other thread, but figured this one's more on topic to post this thing I made, so:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

It's a ratings chart! By percentages!
I originally planned to do a "by placement in the top 10" chart, but my excel skills are basic and that chart ended up looking upside-down (because 8 is a higher number than 5 so that deleted chart thought that means it did better that week even though 8th place out of 10 is lower than 5th place out of 10).

I think my chart shows Super's actually been steady for the most part.
Wooh boy, 'steady' is not the word I'd use looking at the chart, at least not when it comes to this arc . Before this the TOP it's been 5 and up, with only the occasional dip into the 4's. There is an obvious decreasing trend since around episode 80 I'd say. Now, I've said this before, but I think we also need to take into consideration the DVR ratings, because those seem to be really good. I don't know how valuable those are to the broadcasting networks since I assume they know people can skip commercials with those, but at least it shows there is a legitimately high interest in the show (just not high enough to have people wake up for it :/ )

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:41 pm

It's already been brought up, but it's only natural that ratings are going down since TV is dying.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Michsi

I guess I am being a bit kind calling it steady, haha. I've been in a good mood this week and it makes me lenient.

Re: TheUltimateNinja

Agreed. I barely watch any tv anymore.

I may still try and chart the nth place ratings in addition even if the chart will look upside down for reasons I mentioned.

EDIT: Here's a chart based on rankings in the top 10. Much faster for me to make since I didn't have to worry about percentage points.

My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:05 pm

The thing about a chart based on the rankings is that most of the time when DBS gets a higher ranking than normal it's just because other, more popular shows happened to not air that week (usually Doraemon and Crayon Shin-chan).

The percentages are far more relevant and useful for comparison purposes, I think.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:04 am

Well I made one for ratings and one for rankings. I'd make one for DVR, but there's no stats for more than a handful of episodes on the first page of this thread.

I do think the ratings have somewhat recovered from the Kamen Rider move, but I don't think we can hit 6.0 again until the start of the next arc, whatever that'll be.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:48 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:It's already been brought up, but it's only natural that ratings are going down since TV is dying.

But does it have to die so fast during DBS' lifetime ? Also, we don't know how successful streaming sites are in Japan to say how TV is being replaced.

That ranking chart looks somewhat better.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:10 am

Michsi wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:It's already been brought up, but it's only natural that ratings are going down since TV is dying.

But does it have to die so fast during DBS' lifetime ? Also, we don't know how successful streaming sites are in Japan to say how TV is being replaced.

That ranking chart looks somewhat better.
Ratings have dropped across the board, not just for DBS.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:01 pm

Chuquita wrote:Been semi-under-the-weather today and I was reading ratings talk in the other thread, but figured this one's more on topic to post this thing I made, so:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Probably already asked here but why there was such a decrease between episodes 107 and 109?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:39 pm

Noah wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Probably already asked here but why there was such a decrease between episodes 107 and 109?
Kamen Rider moved to compete directly with dbs around that time. People couldn't decide which to watch live, but most came back to dbs and that's why it recovered.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:57 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Noah wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Kamen Rider moved to compete directly with dbs around that time. People couldn't decide which to watch live, but most came back to dbs and that's why it recovered.
I think they count DVR ratings too.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:56 am

TheMikado wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
Noah wrote:
Really?!
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:04 am

majinwarman wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
Really?!

https://people.howstuffworks.com/cultur ... atings.htm
Most networks use Nielsen's Live Plus service to track ratings. Live Plus looks at who watched shows on their DVRs within different time frames. Generally, it tracks three major categories: Live-Plus-Same-Day, Live-Plus-Three and Live-Plus-Seven. Each one looks at a broader timeframe, so Live-Plus-Same-Day looks not only at who was watching when the show aired, but also who watched the show that day and the next. Live-Plus-Three and Live-Plus-Seven track who watched within three and seven days of the original airing, respectively. When Nielsen first rolled out its Live Plus service, network executives were uncertain, but it's become an industry standard.
I assume this would apply to most modern tv networks.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:08 am

Theophrastus wrote:The thing about a chart based on the rankings is that most of the time when DBS gets a higher ranking than normal it's just because other, more popular shows happened to not air that week (usually Doraemon and Crayon Shin-chan).

The percentages are far more relevant and useful for comparison purposes, I think.
The rankings, particularly average rankings are best for comparing the Dragonball series across different time periods so that we can compare it against its peers of the time. The rankings also continue to be important because they indicate a trend. For those watching TV Super has been relatively consistent despite ratings drops of TV. It helps us control for the “TV is dying” argument.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:20 pm

TheMikado wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Really?!

https://people.howstuffworks.com/cultur ... atings.htm
Most networks use Nielsen's Live Plus service to track ratings. Live Plus looks at who watched shows on their DVRs within different time frames. Generally, it tracks three major categories: Live-Plus-Same-Day, Live-Plus-Three and Live-Plus-Seven. Each one looks at a broader timeframe, so Live-Plus-Same-Day looks not only at who was watching when the show aired, but also who watched the show that day and the next. Live-Plus-Three and Live-Plus-Seven track who watched within three and seven days of the original airing, respectively. When Nielsen first rolled out its Live Plus service, network executives were uncertain, but it's become an industry standard.
I assume this would apply to most modern tv networks.
I didn't know that they counted DVD ratings!
Majinwarman

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:55 pm

Well in comparison, GT had higher ratings. Inbetween 14-19%. Yet it got canceled. So i think, with DB, it has more to do with how much stuff it sells, not so much with it's TV rating.

So as long as Super sells toys and stuff. We will keep on getting episodes/ manga/new stories etc.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:34 pm

GT aired 20 years ago in 1996/1997 when there was no internet and no streaming media.

There's a big obvious difference between the years 2015-2018 and the year 1997. Back then you HAD to watch shows on TV or you would never see them. The internet has completely changed the TV landscape, millions of people don't even watch shows on TV anymore.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:46 am

precita wrote:GT aired 20 years ago in 1996/1997 when there was no internet and no streaming media.

There's a big obvious difference between the years 2015-2018 and the year 1997. Back then you HAD to watch shows on TV or you would never see them. The internet has completely changed the TV landscape, millions of people don't even watch shows on TV anymore.
That's so true! TV then isn't TV now in 2018.
Majinwarman

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:26 am

I never watch any TV at all. I just download everything.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:34 am

I don't even own a TV, nor do I know anyone who still watches TV. Probably just old people, apparently sporting events like the Super Bowl still get huge ratings.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:03 am

Monster Hunter Stories didn't make a single Top10 during it's year run (at least I don't think I remember it doing) and got commissioned for a second season straight after, MH airs before DBS, just goes to show how frivolous these ratings are.
precita wrote:GT aired 20 years ago in 1996/1997 when there was no internet and no streaming media.

Even something as not so far back as 2010/11 where Kai and OP were pulling high numbers now OP isn't even getting anywhere near what it was pulling then.