Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by irreality » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:26 am

Basaku wrote: Sailor Moon is internationally recognized, parodied, referenced and influental. Maybe no as widely today but is sure made a bigger stamp on the global pop culture along with Dragon Ball then any other anime/manga that came from Japan
I don't think Sailor Moon is worth the hyperbole of "any other" -- not that it isn't hugely influential and defines the magical girl anime genre for most people. But what about Robotech or Voltron or Gundam Wing? Saint Seiya? Speed Racer? Neon Genesis Evangelion? Akira? Captain Tsubasa? Different parts of the world and different decades latched on the different anime.

Maybe I'm dating myself since I'm naming very old anime. :p

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:43 am

Retan wrote:SO I was on my tablet and had it translate a few of the comments from the japanese people and they think the show has been pretty awful so far it seems like (From the few translated half way decently anyway :lol: ) and they want to get to the fights (Or maybe they were just talking about how awful beeruses fight was. But who knows it was just a few random people on the site ShinGaijin posted above.
I saw a few people complaining about the lack of fights, but I saw a *lot* more complaints about the timeslot, people talking about recording it or sleeping through it. Well, I think so, anyway. :eh:

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:27 am

'Cause Google Trends solves everything. Miley Cyrus is way higher than most other music/pop acts yet it doesn't really say much. Sailor Moon is internationally recognized, parodied, referenced and influental. Maybe no as widely today but is sure made a bigger stamp on the global pop culture along with Dragon Ball then any other anime/manga that came from Japan
That's talk of being influential though, that's not the same as just being outright famous and popular. I wouldn't say Pokémon was influential no but it is famous worldwide. It is has a level of fame that no other anime outside of Dragon Ball Z has.

On Wikipedia it mentions that the series had poor ratings in the US and poor DVD sales in the UK. This is the complete opposite of how Pokémon and DBZ faired which is why it doesn't seem to be as ingrained in western pop culture.

On YouTube there's 27 pages worth of DBZ videos that have over 1 million views. Sailor Moon has just one and a half pages.

It is well known but not that to that extent. If Pokémon was Superman and DBZ was Batman then Sailor Moon is The Flash.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:59 am

Araki wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Well if One Piece and Conan were low too...was last weekend a big shore/beach weekend in Japan? Was the weather really nice?
Some people in that board were talking about the weather, so it could be that.
As someone in Japan right now, I can tell you that the weather is unreal at the moment. Extremely hot! It was nearing 40C when I was in Kanazawa on that Sunday, I believe.

Whether that has any real bearing on ratings, I'm not really sure.

Vegeta was trending on Twitter here, so I think the episode was at least popular.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:08 am

Did Super still rank #4? If so, I'm not worried about ratings drop.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:59 am

No, it ranked #7, because of shows that didn't air last week -- Doraemon, Crayonshin chan and Detective Conan. It was only .1% off from Detective Conan, though.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:39 am

Well, that's a significant drop, but seeing as how almost everything dropped as well, then it's a good rating, I guess.

As long as it stays constantly in the top 10, I'll be happy. I'm guessing once we reach the U6 arc, and get to the climax, it'll average around 4th and 3rd place.

ssj5andres

Post by ssj5andres » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:52 am

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:02 pm

I wonder why the ratings drop? Did people in Japan not like the first episode?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:10 pm

Man, looks like Vegeta family day shenanigans didn't entice a lot of people. That, and most kids will probably be outside enjoying the summer weather rather than watching anime.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:59 pm

There is also other competition for Super to deal with such as Doraemon, Detective Conan, Yo-Kai Watch, Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, Shin-chan and other popular shows with kids under the age of 13 in Japan. At least if merchandise sales are good then I hope Super will keep on going.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:11 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder why the ratings drop? Did people in Japan not like the first episode?
Mostly because Crayon Shin-chan, Doraemon, and Detective Conan did not air last week, and they usually take up a larger percentage of the viewing audience. A 5.6% is honestly where I expected Super to be, as in today's rating system that's pretty good to average. The only reason the series got a 7.9% ratings share the first week is because it's a rating "share" system, as-in everything is done as a percentage of the whole. If you have fewer shows participating in the shared audience, the size of which does not change, then other show's percentages of the whole audience go up. When more shows participate, the percentages go down. The individual share percentages aren't always the best for gauging popularity, just viewership. Overall, without taking in a bunch of different factors it's really hard to draw any sort of solid conclusion by comparing a single show to its own previous rating shares.

Here's the whole ratings list, for those that want it.
Hujio wrote:Last week's TV rating shares are out:
  1. Sazae-san (14.0%)
  2. Crayon Shin-chan (9.9%)
  3. Doraemon (9.2%)
  4. Chibi Maruko-chan (9.2%)
  5. One Piece (7.0%)
  6. Detective Conan (5.7%)
  7. Dragon Ball Super (5.6%)
  8. Yo-Kai Watch (4.3%)
  9. Go! Princess PreCure (4.3%)
  10. Pocket Monsters XY (3.9%)
It should be noted that Crayon Shin-chan, Doraemon, and Detective Conan did not air last week, so it is no surprise they drop the ratings for other shows.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:07 pm

That seems like a non-intuitive system of measurement, especially since the shows are not on at the same time so the number people you are taking "shares" of might have a lot of duplicates. Thanks for clarifying!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:21 pm

It's definitely just been an off week. One Piece had a 7.0 this week. I just went through all of 2015's ratings and it was always above a 8.0 except for two instances where it had a 7.3 in March and a 7.0 in April.

Others have been at a low point in the ratings this week too. I don't know why the ratings dropped but for some reason they did.

So it has nothing to do with Dragon Ball Super itself and it'll go up next week like the others.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:25 pm

Perhaps it's an issue with the cable companies or power outages if there was a storm

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:42 pm

So far, Super is having the same ratings than Buu arc Kai. I was expecting more.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:59 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:So far, Super is having the same ratings than Buu arc Kai. I was expecting more.
It's honestly the sort of ratings you should expect for a shonen anime in the summer. But the ratings should get better once the action starts.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:24 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: It's honestly the sort of ratings you should expect for a shonen anime in the summer. But the ratings should get better once the action starts.
Not really. One Piece is a shounen and its always higher.
With a new series, I was expecting Super to get on par with One Piece, but its always lower. And the reason why super episode 1 ranked so high was because some series didn't air that week. So, nothing new in these rankings. Buu arc Kai all over again.

I also don't understand why anyone: Funimation, Crunchyroll, etc... isn't streaming Super episodes for overseas fanbase.
Its the most famous anime worlwide and Toei is just shooting in their own foot. Long live piracy!
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:32 pm

Toei really is shooting themselves in the foot. I can bet Funi's still trying their hardest to negotiate it out from Toei so they can stream it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:35 pm

What's the most determining factor for Super to keep airing? Tv eatings? Merchandise sales? Blue-ray sales?