Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ChocoBar9

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by ChocoBar9 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:25 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote: You should read the manga then, the show only gets better from season 2. And it's much, much better paced than Naruto.
He already made up his mind that he wasn't going to like it so no amount of "it gets better" is going to convince him otherwise. Happens all the time when something gets a huge amount of attention and praise there's always people to downplay it (see Attack On Titan, Tokyo Ghoul, OPM)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:41 pm

I like Umakoshi (the My Hero Academia character designer) from HeartCatch Precure because of how fluid and full of reaction-faces his characters are, but one staff member alone isn't enough to make me want to check out what will inevitably be another long-running shounen because I don't have enough spare time in the future anymore for me to set aside to follow more massive series like that. DBS and OP are it for me for now. I mostly prefer to stick with bite-sized 12-episodes-total series that pop up for a season. Additionally, I'm not into the premise of "superhero school". Part of why I like manga and anime is there's a wider variety of stories to choose from where most of the stuff that gets officially published in the U.S. is superheroes from Marvel and DC (of course there's a small segment of U.S. graphic novels that aren't about Marvel and DC's superheroes, but they're in the minority). So for those two reasons I won't be checking out My Hero Academia.

Wrapping it back around to DBS, I wonder if the ratings will count OP 807 and 808 as a single episode or as two individual episodes because that'll probably be how the ratings rank the DBS double episode as well.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:21 pm

ChocoBar9 wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote: You should read the manga then, the show only gets better from season 2. And it's much, much better paced than Naruto.
He already made up his mind that he wasn't going to like it so no amount of "it gets better" is going to convince him otherwise. Happens all the time when something gets a huge amount of attention and praise there's always people to downplay it (see Attack On Titan, Tokyo Ghoul, OPM)
There is a sense of over-hype though. When something gets propped up it like that and when someome who was on the fence watches it, sometimes the hype doesn't match. Happened to me with OPM and AoT and I still haven't finished those respective first seasons and have no desire too. MHA I enjoy very much but it's not groundbreaking in any way but it does executes itself very well.

It's because of this I still am remaining cautious about the DBS special your own hype and self expectations can unwittingly be your down fall sometimes. OP ratings I think will give us a good indication of what to expect for DBS special.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:28 pm

My hero acadameia is really well written but I have a big problem with it and it is the biggest reason why Dragon ball is my favorite battle shonen. The scale of battle.

The fights in MHA are so unsatisfying for me as well as predictable and it proves that good animation can't fix everything. They end so so so short even the big fights don't feel climatic. every time i finish a fight I'm just saying to myself "was that it?" Compare the Goku vs Roshi fight to the Midoriya vs Todoroki fight. One is about martial arts and cool abilities and an old man blowing up a moon and a young monkey boy becoming an ape and then it ends with a fake out and a lesson.

The other was one hurting himself more than his opponent, encouraging said opponent to use power that will defeat him and the other is a prodigy of prodigies but has daddy issues and a sauske vibe (I HATE SAUSKE) then it ends in a fashion you expected.

and i don't expect the fights to get better since all might is the strongest hero and his biggest fight was basically "JUS KAP PUNCHAN!!!!!!!"

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:30 pm

Please keep this thread on-topic. If you find yourself writing, "Back on-topic..." or "to bring it back around..." you're probably too far off and should revise what you're writing before actually posting! Thank you.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Post by thegamer23 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:50 pm

So, what kind of figures can we expect from this weekend's Special?

The hype around the event is real, at least here in Europe.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:32 pm

ChocoBar9 wrote: He already made up his mind that he wasn't going to like it so no amount of "it gets better" is going to convince him otherwise. Happens all the time when something gets a huge amount of attention and praise there's always people to downplay it (see Attack On Titan, Tokyo Ghoul, OPM)
OPM doesn't have much of a plot though. And Saitama's gag is a one trick pony. I still enjoy it. However BNHA and Seven Deadly Sins are well written shows.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:27 pm

thegamer23 wrote:So, what kind of figures can we expect from this weekend's Special?

The hype around the event is real, at least here in Europe.
Who knows, the One Piece special only pulled in 4.7 oddly enough.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:40 pm

Chibi Maruko × Kuwata Keisuke · Happy million years! ! Special 9.4
Detective Conan 6.1
One Piece Autumn 1 hour SP 4.7
My hero Academia 3.9
Glittering Pretty Cure Ara Mode TV Asahi 3.5
Anime Osuri no George 2.6
Yo-kai watch TV 2.4
Disney Sunday small print princess Sophia 2.2
duel Masters 2.2
Furusato visiting Japan 2.2
Thomas the Tank Engine 2.2

http://www.videor.co.jp/tvrating/

I wont be surprised if the DBS special rating also ends up being disappointing.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:41 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: There is a sense of over-hype though. When something gets propped up it like that and when someome who was on the fence watches it, sometimes the hype doesn't match. Happened to me with OPM and AoT and I still haven't finished those respective first seasons and have no desire too. MHA I enjoy very much but it's not groundbreaking in any way but it does executes itself very well.

It's because of this I still am remaining cautious about the DBS special your own hype and self expectations can unwittingly be your down fall sometimes. OP ratings I think will give us a good indication of what to expect for DBS special.
This is me and HxH. I have been told for years how good it is, how other anime looks terrible after seeing it, and how people wish more anime were liked it. I have been watching HxH since it came to Toonami and I just find it okay. As sinful as this is to say, I find Swords Arts Online fun to watch despite being told that the show is terrible and the worst anime ever.

Maybe my taste is just bad. *shrug*
perucho1990 wrote:Chibi Maruko × Kuwata Keisuke · Happy million years! ! Special 9.4
Detective Conan 6.1
My hero Academia 3.9
Yo-kai watch TV 2.4
duel Masters 2.2

Not sure how this is disappearing since the special (which were just two episode glued together) is #3 on the list, while One Piece usually score around #4 and #5. Plus, all the shows are down except MHA interestedly.
Last edited by HeroR on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:45 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
I bet it will pull in a higher viewership, like 6+.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:49 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Chibi Maruko × Kuwata Keisuke · Happy million years! ! Special 9.4
Detective Conan 6.1
My hero Academia 3.9
Yo-kai watch TV 2.4
duel Masters 2.2

I hypothesize that due to Super being around for a fair bit has left a "territory mark" on that time-slot, meaning most don't bother watching much at that time if DB isn't on.
Feels over Reals.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:54 pm

That was a weird week. Many shows were on a break, so ratings feel lower than usual, but they really aren't - BNHA did better than its average, for instance, and those are trivial numbers for Conan, Precure and Maruko.

I'd say the premiere of Tv Asahi's Super Hero Time block in the new timeslot did hurt One Piece a little - or maybe many viewers were turned off by the first half's recap? Let's wait for the Dragon Ball special to see for sure. It's a shame, though, 808 was my favorite One Piece episode in a long time.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:04 pm

Detective Conan 6.1
My hero Academia 3.9
Yo-kai watch TV 2.4
duel Masters 2.2

On one hand, wow OP, third place!
On the other, yikes were a lot of the regulars on break this past week so it's hard to judge it at all. (Sazae, Shin-chan, and Doraemon all on break the same week!? What for I wonder.)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:34 pm

Wow, shocked at those OP ratings. That Sanji episode was probably the most important episode post time skip, and they put tons of effort into that.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:07 am

One Piece still placed 3rd, despite the craptastic rating, but everyone will tune back in next week, when the bigger franchise shows everyone else how it's done.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:00 am

Kamen Rider/Super Sentai premier hurt OP without question, but still surprised after all that hype by Fuji it was this low. DBS might do better, but I don't think the difference will be anything significant. We'll see though, I could be wrong. The real competition however is after the SP when both OP and DBS are back to regular episodes.

HeroAca finale did decently, so that's good. Looking forward to S3!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:12 am

I thought Super Sentai and Kamen Rider were much less popular than One Piece...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:50 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I thought Super Sentai and Kamen Rider were much less popular than One Piece...
They are pretty popular. By the way, the ratings of the premier of those shows are unknown. We will have to wait for that. But, they have succeeded in dividing the audience cause of the same timeslot and so the ratings are affected as well.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:03 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I thought Super Sentai and Kamen Rider were much less popular than One Piece...
Here's a list of the last known ratings from the previous Kamen Rider (Ex-Aid) and Sentai (Zyuohger).

The ratings are lower than both One Piece and DBS, no question, but they're huge enough to take away some part of the live viewership. I mean, if they were anime, they'd make the top 10 pretty much every week.

The Japanese media covered Asahi's decision a while back, and it seems the ratings decline was behind the timeslot move. Which doesn't sound like the smartest idea, as if Fuji's anime shows will be affected, odds are Rider/Sentai will be even more. It's basically a lose/lose for Toei.