Time for a New Narrator for "Super"?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blackstripe
Regular

Re: Time for a New Narrator for "Super"?

Post by Blackstripe » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:40 am

Nobody has said much on what they think about the new narrator.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:57 am

Blackstripe wrote:Nobody has said much on what they think about the new narrator.
I think many people didn't even realize the voice actor changed, at least none of the casual fans i know who watch Super has said anything.
Tatsuta really sounded like a healthy Yanami.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:25 pm

I have some good news, Joji Yanami is back narrating! His voice and credit appeared on the weekly variety show 金スマ on 1/29/2016.

I don't know if this means he'll be back for Super, but at least he's healthy enough to work (He sounds much better, too).

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:37 pm

LuckyCat wrote:I have some good news, Joji Yanami is back narrating! His voice and credit appeared on the weekly variety show 金スマ on 1/29/2016.

I don't know if this means he'll be back for Super, but at least he's healthy enough to work (He sounds much better, too).
I think we should just go without him now.
Tatsuta is doing a great job replacing him, there's no need to change character voices again.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:40 pm

No, as long as he's healthy enough, I want him back.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:00 pm

I'd find it pretty silly, if Tatsuta would just be thrown out, as soon as the former voice actor is healthy again.
It's good to hear Yanami has recovered, but in my opinion, since they have made the decision to change voices, they should stick with it.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:22 pm

dbgtFO wrote:I'd find it pretty silly, if Tatsuta would just be thrown out, as soon as the former voice actor is healthy again.
It's good to hear Yanami has recovered, but in my opinion, since they have made the decision to change voices, they should stick with it.
Why, though? Tatsuta was only meant to be a temporary replacement.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:38 pm

I'm slightly torn. I think it'd be great for him to come back as the narrator if he's up for it. But Kaiou, though...those early episodes were just so heartbreaking to listen to, I wouldn't want him to strain himself if Kaiou's personality requires more energy than he's able to give. So, though it pains me to say it, I'd rather he only return as the narrator, and leave Kaiou to Tatsuta.

It's not unheard of for an actor to be absent due to illness then later come back to the role. One example is Kae Araki stepping in to play Sailor Moon for a few episodes while Kotono Mitsuishi was ill (soon after, Araki went on to play Chibiusa). Of course, in that case it was probably fairly obvious that Mitsuishi would be coming back, while with Yanami, due to his advanced age and potential ongoing health problems, it's never been clear whether he'd be able to return.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:20 am

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:I'd find it pretty silly, if Tatsuta would just be thrown out, as soon as the former voice actor is healthy again.
Where did you find that out?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:01 am

What I really don't understand, when I saw some parts of the DB Super Blu-Ray is, why wasn't the Kaio and narrator re-dubbed for the release??
They've repaired the animation, but hearing Yanami in this state is cringeworthy and horrible. I said numerous times, that I love his work,
but hearing him in such state is really bad.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:56 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
Where did you find that out?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ime/.93369
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:25 pm

I never had a problem with him as the narrator, but as Kaio he feels really weird to listen to. The power and enthusiasm of his voice doesn't match the level of agitation shown in Kaio's animations at all. Must be an age thing, I'm not judging. I generally prefer Kaio to sound like he does in TFS.