GT the reason Super not go 10 Years after?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: GT the reason Super not go 10 Years after?

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:09 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:The Buu saga era is easier to market since the cast are still at their prime and you still have a lot of forms to make toys out of. I think that's why Toriyama likes a setting after Buu and before the 28th Tenkachi Budokai since it's easier to write the cast when they are much younger.
Not to mention the room for stories (although, that room is slowly running out).
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:03 pm

Who says we need to replace GT? Maybe after Super it gets remade to fit better.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:15 pm

sintzu wrote:I think it's because Toriyama doesn't want to use the cast at an old age like he said during the BOG promotion.
That's my thought as well. Even though Saiyans have a longer prime so they can fight, having a protagonist who's 52 or more years old isn't that cool. Besides, Goku would have some slowdown at that age despite being a Saiyan. I think that Toriyama doesn't want to have them too old to fight. IIRC, GT has another ten year gap right at the beginning. So from Buu's defeat to Goku being turned into a child is around 20 years. There is plenty that can still be done in that amount of time.

It would be nice to see GT get destroyed though...

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:17 pm

Cetra wrote:Who says we need to replace GT? Maybe after Super it gets remade to fit better.
If it's get remade, then it's no longer GT. It's something that resembles GT, took some of GT's ideas but is a completely different series, just like Super and the movies are different from each-other.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:48 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Cetra wrote:Who says we need to replace GT? Maybe after Super it gets remade to fit better.
If it's get remade, then it's no longer GT. It's something that resembles GT, took some of GT's ideas but is a completely different series, just like Super and the movies are different from each-other.
I would be down with that.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:50 pm

I would like to see something set between the 7 year gab between Cell and Buu. Maybe see Goten grow up around Gohan, and how Vegeta's life is after Cell.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:17 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I would like to see something set between the 7 year gab between Cell and Buu. Maybe see Goten grow up around Gohan, and how Vegeta's life is after Cell.
That's something we haven't seen. I would love to see the next movie take place during that time.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:24 pm

The only timeskip I'd like to see a movie would be the one between the RRA arc and 22nd TB. Mainly because Earth hasn't been explored as much as it could have been, and from the 22nd TB and beyond, you lose that opportunity.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:52 pm

Personally I'd love to see a GT "remake" that is lead by Toriyama.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:53 pm

Doctor. wrote:The only timeskip I'd like to see a movie would be the one between the RRA arc and 22nd TB. Mainly because Earth hasn't been explored as much as it could have been, and from the 22nd TB and beyond, you lose that opportunity.
There will always be opportunities to explore Earth. Super showed small glimpses of how colourful Earth can be.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:55 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:The only timeskip I'd like to see a movie would be the one between the RRA arc and 22nd TB. Mainly because Earth hasn't been explored as much as it could have been, and from the 22nd TB and beyond, you lose that opportunity.
There will always be opportunities to explore Earth. Super showed small glimpses of colourful Earth can be.
You can't explore the martial artists on Earth, the schools, the dangerous and (beautifully) mysterious locations anymore. They pose no challenge after the strongest beings on Earth (God, Popo and Piccolo) show up, so they're irrelevant.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:04 pm

-no one is a threat for goku and friends
that's a major problem with the dragon ball franchise. I mean Super is literally putting in super gods from alternate dimensions to fight Goku. At this point I'm not sure how they could do a GT remake....I mean GT is After Super so that means all problems from Super are dealt with so they must be even stronger by GT. meaning Buu tier strength villains would be mooks.

I mean they could make new main characters but....I don't see that happening
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:07 pm

Ushabtis wrote:-no one is a threat for goku and friends
that's a major problem with the dragon ball franchise. I mean Super is literally putting in super gods from alternate dimensions to fight Goku. At this point I'm not sure how they could do a GT remake....I mean GT is After Super so that means all problems from Super are dealt with so they must be even stronger by GT. meaning Buu tier strength villains would be mooks.

I mean they could make new main characters but....I don't see that happening
If they don't explore all of the universes in Super then they can definitely do a GT remake.

You have so much potential with other universes, you're not restricted to making JUST the Gods of that universe a match for Goku and Vegeta. You can easily make Goku, Beerus & co absolutely fodder, Raditz-level of weakness in that respective universe if they want to go to those extremes.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:12 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
There will always be opportunities to explore Earth. Super showed small glimpses of how colourful Earth can be.
You can't explore the martial artists on Earth, the schools, the dangerous and (beautifully) mysterious locations anymore. They pose no challenge after the strongest beings on Earth (God, Popo and Piccolo) show up, so they're irrelevant.
Fair point.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:14 pm

While they could do that, alternate dimension jumping, but at that point it isn't GT and its more a continuation of Super with GT character designs (not that I'd mind really.) All I really want out of any new DB related content is a sense of adventure, Hopefully Super can deliver.

still we have the problems with power levels. I'd really hate to see a universe/dimension where everyone in it makes Majin Buu look super weak just because

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:30 pm

Ushabtis wrote:still we have the problems with power levels. I'd really hate to see a universe/dimension where everyone in it makes Majin Buu look super weak just because
I'd like that too, it would be DB's equivalent to HxH's Dark Continent or Toriko's Gourmet World.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:37 pm

I always thought GT took place 10 years after EOZ. Only some time ago, I found out that it is just 5 years later.
Some characters got really old too fast.
Doctor. wrote: I'd like that too, it would be DB's equivalent to HxH's Dark Continent
I'm still waiting for that arc and for the dead bodies start piling up.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:51 pm

Re: Other universes

Or you could go really meta and have them visit rl Earth where their counterparts are the manga and anime of Dragon Ball and have the cast reacting to that and running into Toriyama at the grocery store before shenanigans occur that end in Gokû and friends crashing at Toriyama's house for the night and meeting rl Beerus in the process.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:20 pm

Doctor. wrote:
If it gets remade it is still GT, also known as the remade version of GT. Final Fantasy VII is being remade. It is still Final Fantasy, just in a new version. Steven King's Carrie has been remade. It is still Carrie just remade. That is what a remake is. And yes, retcons are also possible in a remake. They do not make something an actually different "thing". Take the name "Dragon Ball GT" and the core elements of GT and remake it. That is GT's remake. And still GT. And yes, it is. And yes, even the two different version of Battle of Gods are still Battle of Gods. You are only trying to "not to involve something as horrible as GT was in your opinion" but even a remake will still be GT.
Last edited by Cetra on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:23 pm

Cetra wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
If it gets remade it is still GT, also known as the remade version of GT.
No, it's a sequel to Super that uses GT concepts. Just like Super isn't known as "Battle of Gods + Resurrection F" but a completely new series.