GT the reason Super not go 10 Years after?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: GT the reason Super not go 10 Years after?

Post by Cetra » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:26 pm

Doctor. wrote:
No, it's a sequel to Super that uses GT concepts. Just like Super isn't known as "Battle of Gods + Resurrection F" but a completely new series.
You can struggle against that as much as you want but a remake of GT will always be GT. Rewriting does not make something something else for real, metaphorically yes, literally no. GT is GT and stays GT. But I have followed some of those conversations about how to define Beerus as evil and not so as well as do I know other discussions with you so do me a favor and just not answer me. It won't lead to anything. We are not compatible for discussing. And I say that for the sake of both of us.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:01 pm

Fine, I'll just answer this part since you seem to have edited it after I replied:
Cetra wrote:You are only trying to "not to involve something as horrible as GT was in your opinion" but even a remake will still be GT.
I don't think GT is horrible, for you to assume as such is not only insulting, but it gives off the vibe that you can't enter a GT debate without putting into question what the other person thinks about the quality of the series, which is completely irrelevant, and makes you come off as biased.

Barunks
Beyond Newbie

Post by Barunks » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:23 am

Isn't it possible that instead of holding off the GT question all they wanted to do was just expand upon the previous two films in a manner that gives them more time than just a couple of hours to work with? I mean it should be pretty simple to make GT fit despite Super going its own direction if they just do a Xenoverse style saga involving TP Trunks and alternate timelines. I'd be more excited for than than even the upcoming universe 6 saga.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:53 pm

GT is also almost 20 years old since it started in 1996. I feel like that they won't care about GT as much given how kids in Japan where not born when it was airing and I doubt kids in Japan these days seen Dragon Ball outside of Kai and the newer movies. I think Toei feels like that since it's been so long after GT aired that it's not really relevant. Sure there is merchandise of GT and the characters appear in the video games, but I don't think that means much really. If you look at other franchises market to kids like Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and Ultraman, the younger kids in Japan never really watch the older shows before 5 or 4 years ago. And yet Bandai still has past characters of those series still appear in merchandise of those franchises. I don't think even kids these days (both in Japan and America) even know about Pokemon from G1 & G2.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cadellin

Post by Cadellin » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:18 pm

With GT set 5 years after the Uub thing, Toei realistically has something like 14 1/2 years of space to work with. That does assume that they are happy to introduce Uub at that point of course, but thats still over fourtenn years of space available before running onto GT's turf.

For reference, Dragonball Z, from Raditz- Buu's defeat is about 13 years (Age 761 to 774), so they could easily fit in an entire series without overrunning into GT.