GT the reason Super not go 10 Years after?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

GT the reason Super not go 10 Years after?

Post by coola » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:37 pm

Don't get me wrong, i really enjoy Super so far, and love slice of life episodes, but, i admit i wsn't big fan of GT, and how it handed characters, and would love to see Toriyama vision of post DBZ in Super. But, I'm little afraid, that Toei don't want to let Toriama go past "10 Years After" to not get GT retconned. Even if GT can still work as alternative universe or what-if
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: GT the reason Super not go 10 Years after?

Post by funrush » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:46 pm

BoG and RoF are being retold to fill in blanks from that 10 year period, and we don't know when Universe 6 arc takes place, so it's maybe too early to assume, but I could see them tiptoing around GT as long as they can. If they get to a point where they have to cross that line they could.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:49 pm

I would personally love to see GT get retconned, but I'm really not sure, as you said, that Toei's going to do it. That would make GT totally irrelevant and, ultimately, hurt their sales.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:49 pm

The thing is, there's already so many things introduced that conflict with GT. Besides, they don't need to replace GT; they just need to create a saga during the EoZ era that takes place years before that series.

There's no excuse.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:04 pm

Yeah, they never have to "actually" retcon GT. They'll probably never refer to it, but by having Super begin so close to the end of Z, they can have as many episodes they want within that 10 year period without ever having to deal with GT.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:08 pm

Much Probably not.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:09 pm

It kinda is.
Over 12 years ago Nakatsuru Katsuyoshi planted the idea, that they were too old in the final chapter and that Goku's adventures after Z were already covered in GT and Toriyama agreed with that or at the very least the part about them needing to tell a story from before end of Z.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... nakatsuru/
With the Dragon Ball Kanzenban, the series will be garnering new fans. And being fans, I think they will probably want to see some new Dragon Ball Z. How about it, Sensei — why not make a new animated work once a year or so?

Toriyama:
Ah, I’d like to see that.

Nakatsuru:
But in the final chapter, Goku’s getting pretty old. And what happens to him after is already covered in the anime-original Dragon Ball GT. Still, Goku is the main character, after all. If you’re going to make a new story without any difficulty, you’ll have to rewind time a bit, and tell a story from somewhere in the past, or something…

Toriyama:
I agree. Rather than continuing on strangely into the future, or digging deeper, I’d rather develop it with something like a separate episode, going back in time to say, “there was such-and-such a story, involving such-and-such an opponent”. As in, it wasn’t in the coimc, but this kind of thing also happened. I think that’d probably be better.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:49 pm

I think it's because Toriyama doesn't want to use the cast at an old age like he said during the BOG promotion.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:14 pm

I don't think it matters if GT happens 5 years after EOZ since the new material pretty much makes GT hard to fit in the same timeline at this point. If Toei cared about what happens in BOG and ROF then they would told Toriyama not use any of his new ideas. GT at this point seems no different how DBZ Movies 1-13 where which can be view as AU stories.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:23 pm

I guess mid 40's is the cut off then, that's where we leave Gokû at EoZ, I think. I seem to want to say he's 52 in GT, but I don't how if that's right.

Well, mid 30's is still impressive for a shounen series' protagonist. Not so unusual in American comics (your DCs and Marvels), but for Jump, it's both impressive and pretty cool to me. I think he's mid 30's in Super.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

KameRule
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameRule » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:25 pm

The way I see it, they're just going to continue Super for whatever amount of time, disregarding GT or EoZ. Whether this turns out to retcon GT in the long run will be no concern of Toei's, as it would always exist commercially regardless.
Master, the batteries inside your Wii Remote are nearly depleted.

Master, there is a 98% chance that the floor is beneath you.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:50 pm

Besides, they don't need to replace GT
They didn't need to replace the new movies either.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:01 pm

Bullza wrote:
They are not replacing them, they are expanding them.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:13 pm

Bullza wrote:
They're retelling them though. They might make some tweaks and expand the stories, but for the most part, they'll have the same plot.

OP is talking about outright replacing GT and every little detail, characterization, and relationship it established so that its events never happened at all.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:42 pm

Do you think once they get far enough they may readapt GT? Like take plot elements of it but make it work with the new "canon"?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:43 pm

GT is already a What-If stroy at this stage with how many contribution from Toriyama work against it. I'd personally love to see Super reach the stage that GT did. But GT is still a quite a good merch pusher, so I could see Toei dodging the concept of replacing GT for quite a while longer.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:17 pm

Even if GT is ignore in the newer material, merchandise for it will still be made. You can ignore the events of GT and still make merchandise for it. What happens in the continuity has no affect on what Bandai does with the merchandise.
She/Her

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:52 pm

If I'm wrong then please correct me, but GT is 5 years after the 28th Tenkaichi Budoukai. They have those years to fill in without having to replace GT. They don't seem to be worrying about the current stuff not fitting in with it, clearly, so they wouldn't have to worry it in that time either. They just don't do it because they don't want to, GT isn't really a major factor.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:24 am

Maybe since they might not want to conflict brands but there still seems to be some time after the manga ends and GT starts. I think they just have a fondness for the Boo era cast.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:06 pm

The Buu saga era is easier to market since the cast are still at their prime and you still have a lot of forms to make toys out of. I think that's why Toriyama likes a setting after Buu and before the 28th Tenkachi Budokai since it's easier to write the cast when they are much younger.
She/Her