Fact Checker (update: Ep.51)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MaGyunia
Regular

Re: Fact Checker

Post by MaGyunia » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:33 pm

Hmm. Is he stronger than Beerus at any stage? No, he's always weaker, and Beerus is weaker than Whis. Unless by "in the world" you mean the folks living on Earth only, instead of the entire Universe. There's no other possibility for Goku to be called "the strongest in the world" other than that, and the farther you need to look is at what just happened in the last episode. Even after turning into his Super Saiya-jin God form, he's below Beerus. If you count the Beerus + Whis duo - and there's no reason why you shouldn't - it's just impossible for Goku to be the strongest warrior there is no matter where you look at it from. He's the main hero and the main protagonist, but that shouldn't necessarily and automatically make one the strongest warrior in a particular piece of fiction.

Taskmaster
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Taskmaster » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:41 pm

MaGyunia wrote:Hmm. Is he stronger than Beerus at any stage? No, he's always weaker, and Beerus is weaker than Whis. Unless by "in the world" you mean the folks living on Earth only, instead of the entire Universe. There's no other possibility for Goku to be called "the strongest in the world" other than that, and the farther you need to look is at what just happened in the last episode. Even after turning into his Super Saiya-jin God form, he's below Beerus. If you count the Beerus + Whis duo - and there's no reason why you shouldn't - it's just impossible for Goku to be the strongest warrior there is no matter where you look at it from. He's the main hero and the main protagonist, but that shouldn't necessarily and automatically make one the strongest warrior in a particular piece of fiction.
Until Beerus and Whiz show up, as far as anyone knows, Goku is the strongest.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:20 am

Taskmaster wrote:
MaGyunia wrote:Hmm. Is he stronger than Beerus at any stage? No, he's always weaker, and Beerus is weaker than Whis. Unless by "in the world" you mean the folks living on Earth only, instead of the entire Universe. There's no other possibility for Goku to be called "the strongest in the world" other than that, and the farther you need to look is at what just happened in the last episode. Even after turning into his Super Saiya-jin God form, he's below Beerus. If you count the Beerus + Whis duo - and there's no reason why you shouldn't - it's just impossible for Goku to be the strongest warrior there is no matter where you look at it from. He's the main hero and the main protagonist, but that shouldn't necessarily and automatically make one the strongest warrior in a particular piece of fiction.
Well, if you count only the good, non-fused guys (thus discarding Vegitto) who showed up during the Majin Buu arc, he'd be the strongest in his Super Saiya-jin 3 stage (although I actually put Ultimate Gohan on par with him when he shows up to thrash Super Buu).

On the other hand, if you count everyone who showed up during the Majin Buu arc, two of the variations of Super Buu, Vegitto and possibly Kid Buu are stronger.

If you want to deal only with character who are alive or in existence AFTER the defeat of Kid Buu, then what I said in my first paragraph in this post applies, and you could somehow make that claim from that perspective (and that perspective only).

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:37 pm

Ultimate Gohan > Goku Ssj 3

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:50 pm

MaGyunia wrote:
Taskmaster wrote:
Well, if you count only the good, non-fused guys (thus discarding Vegitto) who showed up during the Majin Buu arc, he'd be the strongest in his Super Saiya-jin 3 stage (although I actually put Ultimate Gohan on par with him when he shows up to thrash Super Buu).
We'll probably need to take this somewhere else, but you're just objectively wrong here.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Taskmaster
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Taskmaster » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:14 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: We'll probably need to take this somewhere else, but you're just objectively wrong here.
I agree, Goku is far and away stronger than Gohan, who is quite literally trash tier.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:16 pm

Taskmaster wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote: We'll probably need to take this somewhere else, but you're just objectively wrong here.
I agree, Goku is far and away stronger than Gohan, who is quite literally trash tier.
Here we go with this long-debunked bullshit again.

EDIT: I admit this is bad form for the Fact Checker thread. No more responses on this, from me, on here.
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:17 pm

I agree goku flat out admits that him and vegeta were inferior to super buu without the absorptions.

Taskmaster
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Taskmaster » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:33 pm

pacz360 wrote:
I agree goku flat out admits that him and vegeta were inferior to super buu without the absorptions.
I agree that Vegeta flat out said that only Goku could fight Kid Buu. And admit that Vegeta also stated that Goku was #1, and Vegeta said that Pure Buu would kill everyone if Goku didn't stop him. I admit that Daizenshuu 2's interview states that "Goku is the pure strongest in the universe" and that Daizenshuu 7 says the Buu Goku defeated was the strongest in the universe. I admit that Super has 3 statements so far establishing Goku as the strongest and NOTHING is mentioned about Gohan.

It's going to sting even harder when Gohan get embarrassed in DBS Episode 7.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:23 pm

Taskmaster wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
I agree that Vegeta flat out said that only Goku could fight Kid Buu. And admit that Vegeta also stated that Goku was #1, and Vegeta said that Pure Buu would kill everyone if Goku didn't stop him. I admit that Daizenshuu 2's interview states that "Goku is the pure strongest in the universe" and that Daizenshuu 7 says the Buu Goku defeated was the strongest in the universe. I admit that Super has 3 statements so far establishing Goku as the strongest and NOTHING is mentioned about Gohan.

It's going to sting even harder when Gohan get embarrassed in DBS Episode 7.
Idk if the daizenshuu is all that trustworthy but in the manga it pretty much tells you that goku was weaker then gohan in the buu saga goku was shitting himself at the thought of fighting super buu while gohan was kicking his ass with ease plus I don't know where it said goku being the strongest considering super buu+his absorptions and vegito,beerus,whis would laugh at that.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:36 pm

Getting back to the topic... I'm curious on what Vegeta says about his relationship with Goku. Some translations have him saying Goku is his battle comrade, while others have him saying they are rivals. What is the correct translation?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:54 pm

All of you take the tired repetitive battle power argument somewhere else. Or preferably don't have it at all, because almost everyone is sick of it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:41 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:Getting back to the topic... I'm curious on what Vegeta says about his relationship with Goku. Some translations have him saying Goku is his battle comrade, while others have him saying they are rivals. What is the correct translation?
Vegeta says he and Goku could be described as kataki doushi, a pair of rivals/enemies. The word kataki can mean not only rivals or opponents in sports, but also enemies in war. In context "rival" is probably best, since Vegeta doesn't say it with any apparent malice, and his attitude towards Goku in ep.2 seems more "friendly rival", in keeping with how their relationship developed in the Boo arc. "Battle comrade" is pretty much wrong, since that implies people who fight alongside side each other rather than against each other, which isn't what kataki doushi means (of course, Goku and Vegeta have fought alongside each other sometimes, but Vegeta doesn't mention anything about that).

Edit: Updated the first post with this explanation, and also the "comfy pillow" thing.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.6)

Post by LightBing » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:03 am

Thank you for this thread Herms, much appreciated!
The pillow joke lost it's effect with me, when Beerus said "I don't know how many people you've killed". How selfish and evil can one be... The chaotic nature of the Hakaishin loses it's meaning, when pillows and pudding are the main causes.

Taskmaster
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Taskmaster » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:15 am

pacz360 wrote: Idk if the daizenshuu is all that trustworthy but in the manga it pretty much tells you that goku was weaker then gohan in the buu saga goku was shitting himself at the thought of fighting super buu while gohan was kicking his ass with ease plus I don't know where it said goku being the strongest considering super buu+his absorptions and vegito,beerus,whis would laugh at that.
The manga doesn't say that at all, and the daizenshuu is plenty trustworthy. The issue here is people don't like the story being told, and twist statement tos mean something completely different so they don't have to "accept it'

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:29 am

I do ask that these sorts of general power arguments be conducted elsewhere, such as this thread. Keep things here focused on translation-related issues for specific statements made in Super.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:41 am

LightBing wrote:Thank you for this thread Herms, much appreciated!
The pillow joke lost it's effect with me, when Beerus said "I don't know how many people you've killed". How selfish and evil can one be... The chaotic nature of the Hakaishin loses it's meaning, when pillows and pudding are the main causes.
I think the opposite, that totally fits the whimsical God Beerus is supposed to be. See, he didn't kill King Vegeta because of the pillow. In fact, he didn't ask him to kill anyone, he was just saying what the king went through wasn't his problem, he asked him for that pillow and nothing else.
Beerus doesn't even seem to have a notion about "good" or "evil", as long as people respect him he's fine.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:47 am

As I asked earlier:

Minute: 3~4
Elder Kaioshin: “In this universe, there are gods like us, responsible for creating planets and life…And on the flipside, there is a god responsible for destroying those planets and that life. That’s Beerus-sama, the God of Destruction.”
Kaioshin: “Yes, I know of him. So his destruction does have meaning to it.”
Elder Kaioshin: “It doesn’t. There’s no purpose to it. Beerus-sama just destroys on a whim."

Is this line as contradictory as it looks? Elder Kaioshin says that Beerus's responsibility is to destroy planets, but that it serves no purpose. So how is it a responsibility, and why does he seemingly compare it to his own responsibility to create planets? The way the line is worded, it implies that Beerus could just, like, not commit genocide, and everything would still be more or less fine.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:56 am

Araki wrote:
LightBing wrote:Thank you for this thread Herms, much appreciated!
I think the opposite, that totally fits the whimsical God Beerus is supposed to be. See, he didn't kill King Vegeta because of the pillow. In fact, he didn't ask him to kill anyone, he was just saying what the king went through wasn't his problem, he asked him for that pillow and nothing else.
Beerus doesn't even seem to have a notion about "good" or "evil", as long as people respect him he's fine.
I agree he lacks a moral compass and is only evil from our perspective, not his. But when he says the line about how many people King Vegeta might have killed, he assumed his order, included such killing to be accomplished. He's a lazy feline; he didn't destroy Planet Vegeta but ordered Freeza to do so. He's pure self-entitled selfishness. That's why he's coming across more evil in Super than whimsical, we are seeing the consequences. In this episode he asked politely Buu for the pudding but in the second, he wanted to steal the dinosaur meat.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:12 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:As I asked earlier:

Minute: 3~4
Elder Kaioshin: “In this universe, there are gods like us, responsible for creating planets and life…And on the flipside, there is a god responsible for destroying those planets and that life. That’s Beerus-sama, the God of Destruction.”
Kaioshin: “Yes, I know of him. So his destruction does have meaning to it.”
Elder Kaioshin: “It doesn’t. There’s no purpose to it. Beerus-sama just destroys on a whim."

Is this line as contradictory as it looks? Elder Kaioshin says that Beerus's responsibility is to destroy planets, but that it serves no purpose. So how is it a responsibility, and why does he seemingly compare it to his own responsibility to create planets? The way the line is worded, it implies that Beerus could just, like, not commit genocide, and everything would still be more or less fine.
My take on it is that from the point of view of other Gods, that's a responsibility the God of Destruction holds, but just Beerus himself doesn't see it the same way. Didn't Kaio compare him to a natural disaster? That was a very good analogy, as it's not like there's a "will" or a goal behind it (unless we go religious or conspiratory), but they work as a form of population control, and have unpredictable results like Beerus.

In any case, Beerus' nature makes it impossible for him to not destroy anything, so it ends up working.
LightBing wrote:I agree he lacks a moral compass and is only evil from our perspective, not his. But when he says the line about how many people King Vegeta might have killed, he assumed his order, included such killing to be accomplished. He's a lazy feline; he didn't destroy Planet Vegeta but ordered Freeza to do so. He's pure self-entitled selfishness. That's why he's coming across more evil in Super than whimsical, we are seeing the consequences. In this episode he asked politely Buu for the pudding but in the second, he wanted to steal the dinosaur meat.
It's a good point that seeing the consequences of his actions (unlike in BoG, where he didn't get that exposition) makes him look more "evil", but in the 2nd episode it was Whis who asked for the meat, Beerus just arrived later, when the alien was already attacking them after he refused to give it away. As long as he's not challenged (or understands anything as mockery) he doesn't take action. He thought Vegeta was trying to make a fool of him, so what Beerus meant by that line was "you shouldn't have done that, if you went to such great extents to get that pillow that you thought you could have it for yourself, that is not my business".