Fact Checker (update: Ep.51)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:37 am

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:50 am

Black_Liger wrote:I heard the japanese word for blue is the same as purple. can someone confirms this so I know Toei either did a freaking wordplay when describing Trunk's hair?.
There is a separate word for purple 紫 rather than the common word for blue 青. However, all color exists on a continuous spectrum of wavelenths, and human words just arbitrarily divide them. It's a stretch, but since there are not that many people with colored hair in the DB verse, It's possible Blooma asked if his hair was blue because it was simpler(less syllables) and can be vague enough to include many different shades. If it was anywhere in the ballpark, it would be most likely Trunks.

User avatar
EmmaWinters
Moderator
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: The Interstice
Contact:

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by EmmaWinters » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:52 pm

Black_Liger wrote:I heard the japanese word for blue is the same as purple. can someone confirms this so I know Toei either did a freaking wordplay when describing Trunk's hair?.
She uses the English word (ブルー/buruu), not the Japanese word (青/ao).
青/ao used to refer to green (not purple) depending on context, but modern Japanese tends to use 緑/midori instead.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

User avatar
shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 839
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:41 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.46)

Post by shinmaru » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:33 am

alakazam^ wrote:
EmmaWinters wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:You say Pan is the youngest character to fly, but what about Tambourine? Wasn't he able to fly shortly after he was born/hatched?
I suppose you're right. I'll clarify.
I don't think Tambourine can be compared as he was a demon-minion that had a job to do.
Aren't the Cell Junior's the youngest beings to fly?

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6010
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:13 pm

Tambourine was just one example I thought of. The point is that younger characters have flown.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
sailorspazz
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: ZamaBlack love shack
Contact:

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:07 pm

It seems the "youngest character to fly" is being taken way too literally. Yes, there were technically characters who were physically younger than Pan when they flew. But they were also all monsters/clones born into bodies that were already developed, not born as infants and then matured. So I guess a more literal way to phrase it would be that Pan is the "least physically developed" character to fly, if just saying "youngest" is an issue.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7771
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:16 am

So what is the proper title of episode 50?
Here on Kanzenshuu it's listed as:

"Goku vs Black!
The path to the sealed future"

But Dragon Team has it as:

"Goku vs Black!
The path to the future gets closed"

From what I gather from latest news, Black will find Trunks' time-machine and apparently destroy it, thus "closing the path to the future" as per Dragon Team, but is this really how it's supposed to be translated? The Kanzenshuu title gives off another impression, as if the future has already been sealed and now they need to find another path to it.

User avatar
Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 879
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:38 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:38 am

dbgtFO wrote:So what is the proper title of episode 50?
Here on Kanzenshuu it's listed as:

"Goku vs Black!
The path to the sealed future"

But Dragon Team has it as:

"Goku vs Black!
The path to the future gets closed"

From what I gather from latest news, Black will find Trunks' time-machine and apparently destroy it, thus "closing the path to the future" as per Dragon Team, but is this really how it's supposed to be translated? The Kanzenshuu title gives off another impression, as if the future has already been sealed and now they need to find another path to it.
The problem there is, the Japanese phrasing is vague enough that both translations are equally sound, and until we see the episode itself and what the title is actually referring to, we just don't know if "Path to the Sealed Future" or "Sealed Path to the Future" is correct.

User avatar
TheDevilsCorpse
Moderator
Posts: 11377
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:36 am

Yeah, it seems tricky in this case because the "future" is technically already sealed in the past tense as Kanzenshuu translated it, as the time machine is out of fuel and apparently needs some maintenance too. But, as already mentioned, if Black outright destroys the time machine, they it can be sealed in the present tense for that episode.

I'll be interesting to see which interpretation ends up being correct, though it doesn't seem like either option is that big of a deal. Bluma has the notebook from her future self, so they could get around either option with enough time.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

User avatar
alakazam^
I Live Here
Posts: 2714
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:55 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:34 pm

I always read it as the path being the one being closed off.

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7771
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:44 pm

Thanks for the responses all of you, I did have an inkling the differences in translations was caused by vagueness in the japanese text.. as per usual.
Guess we'll find out soon enough though ^_^

User avatar
Neo-Makaiōshin
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1992
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:20 pm

As of DBS Episode 50, "Sealed Path to the Future" seens to be appropiate translation.
Lore is NOT story, and it never was, and you should stop spreading this nonsense.
Content is NOT substance.
Bunch of characters doing stuff do NOT make an esemble cast.
Secondary characters are secondary, they do NOT deserve or are entitled to having more screen time.
Fandom Lacks Critical Thinking and is Easily Impressionable with Surface Level Content.

User avatar
Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Jupiter
Contact:

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by Herms » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:50 am

Well, Black blows up the time machine, sealing the future. But then Bulma in the end brings out the other time machine, providing a new path to that sealed future. So both interpretations still seem applicable.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3497
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by LightBing » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:41 am

Does Black speak in any specific way that might be lost in translation? Like Goku speaking like a hick. It might be useful to point out such a characteristic, at least for the more important new characters.

Keep up the good work, this thread is much appreciated. :thumbup:

User avatar
sailorspazz
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: ZamaBlack love shack
Contact:

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:39 am

His speech is quite formal, which is an interesting juxtaposition with Nozawa's evil voice (I mean, Gohan is often polite, but has a gentle voice to match it). Basically, he speaks the proper kind of Japanese that teachers want you to learn, rather than speaking like the large majority of rude, informal anime characters :lol: I think he's the only Nozawa-voiced character in Dragon Ball who uses "watashi" regularly.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3497
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by LightBing » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:31 pm

sailorspazz wrote:His speech is quite formal, which is an interesting juxtaposition with Nozawa's evil voice (I mean, Gohan is often polite, but has a gentle voice to match it). Basically, he speaks the proper kind of Japanese that teachers want you to learn, rather than speaking like the large majority of rude, informal anime characters :lol: I think he's the only Nozawa-voiced character in Dragon Ball who uses "watashi" regularly.
Thank you. That's quite interesting, a nice bit of insight. It further separates him from Goku. For what it's worth, Kaioshin uses "watashi" as well. Polite villains are much more threatening than foul-mouthed ones, to me.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here
Posts: 2326
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:00 pm

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:51 pm

LightBing wrote:
sailorspazz wrote:His speech is quite formal, which is an interesting juxtaposition with Nozawa's evil voice (I mean, Gohan is often polite, but has a gentle voice to match it). Basically, he speaks the proper kind of Japanese that teachers want you to learn, rather than speaking like the large majority of rude, informal anime characters :lol: I think he's the only Nozawa-voiced character in Dragon Ball who uses "watashi" regularly.
Thank you. That's quite interesting, a nice bit of insight. It further separates him from Goku. For what it's worth, Kaioshin uses "watashi" as well. Polite villains are much more threatening than foul-mouthed ones, to me.
Agreed!

That is why I loved Cell so much. He was sophisticated and had reasoning behind what he was doing. When he tells Gohan "Another dead fighter YOU could have saved..." it was actually chilling and menacing.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

User avatar
Sandubadear
I Live Here
Posts: 2152
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:39 am
Location: Space Amazon

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by Sandubadear » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:36 pm

Herms' summary says that Black was stronger now than in the future, while DragonTeam's subs says he was stronger in the future. Which is the correct?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

User avatar
Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Jupiter
Contact:

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by Herms » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:01 pm

Sandubadear wrote:Herms' summary says that Black was stronger now than in the future, while DragonTeam's subs says he was stronger in the future. Which is the correct?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It's supposed to be in the future. I messed up, but it's fixed now in the first post of the episode 50 thread. Sorry for any confusion.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

User avatar
EmmaWinters
Moderator
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: The Interstice
Contact:

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by EmmaWinters » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:17 pm

Updated. Phew!
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

User avatar
alakazam^
I Live Here
Posts: 2714
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:55 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Fact Checker (update: Ep.48)

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:59 am

EmmaWinters wrote:Context: Black arrives.

 03:13 | Black: "Vegeta... And even the God of Destruction, Beerus."

Significance: Shows that Black somehow recognizes Beerus and Whis.
Shouldn't that be Vegeta and Beers?

Post Reply