Who's flanderization in Super is the most disheartening?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Who's flanderization in Super is the most disheartening?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:37 pm

Out of the character's traits TOEI loves to overexaggerate who's got it the worst for you?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Who's flanderization in Super is the most disheartening?

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:38 pm

The only item I've truly disliked so far and can't hand-wave away as either an anomaly or mountain-out-of-a-molehill has been Kuririn's "Why me?" That's such a movie-only thing and to see it come up again here is rather disheartening.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:44 pm

Videl, probably. I said in another thread how she's treating Goten and Trunks like a parent where in Z she treated them the way an older sister would. It's so weird seeing her do what looks like attempting to act mature with the kids. Also I really wanted more "Great Saiyaman and Great Saiyaman 2" so badly. I get she's not as tsundere as when she was first introduced, but I want to see her and Gohan dork-out together fighting crime.

I wanted more of this:

It would've been so fun. TuT
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:12 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:My money's on fatass.
Which character are you talking about? And why do you think they've been the most "flanderized"?

On that note, I don't like the way the thread title takes it for granted that there is "flanderization" in Super, and that it's disheartening. What if people don't agree? Why not start an open-ended thread asking what people think of the characterization in Super so far?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:17 pm

Herms wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:My money's on fatass.
Which character are you talking about? And why do you think they've been the most "flanderized"?

On that note, I don't like the way the thread title takes it for granted that there is "flanderization" in Super, and that it's disheartening. What if people don't agree? Why not start an open-ended thread asking what people think of the characterization in Super so far?
Mr. Boo is the fatass, and he's been a completely unlikeable douchebag in Super so far.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:46 pm

Gohan's. He doesn't just want to be a scholar, that's now his defining trait.

On a positive note, I like what we've seen of Goten's (helpful, thoughtful, innocent) personality so far.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:02 pm

LuckyCat wrote:Gohan's. He doesn't just want to be a scholar, that's now his defining trait.

On a positive note, I like what we've seen of Goten's (helpful, thoughtful, innocent) personality so far.
His defining trait in Super so far is that he loves Videl.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:15 pm

Doctor. wrote:
LuckyCat wrote:Gohan's. He doesn't just want to be a scholar, that's now his defining trait.

His defining trait in Super so far is that he loves Videl.
I think he's had more physical contact with a book so far than Videl, but I suppose the argument does apply more towards new material in general.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:20 pm

1. Fat Boo cause he's an unlikable dick now.
2. Chi Chi because her bitch persona is on overdrive and it's all she is.
3. Gohan speaks for himself being the writers new punching bag.
4. Muten Roshi being a pervert and nothing more.
5. Videl being the girl and not her regular self.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:35 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:1. Fat Boo cause he's an unlikable dick now.
All of the this with the exception of Chichi. As much as I love Roshi and Oolong, the pervert gags are getting a little annoying. I'm sure they do other things besides looking at dirty mags (Pfft! Who am I kidding? Of course they won't!) Buu is becoming/is an unlikable asshole. I know he's suppose to be childlike but he's coming off more like a spoiled brat. And Videl... *sigh*... Oh, Videl. She has become nothing more than a boring housewife whose only purpose is to carry fetus Pan.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:50 pm

Scarz wrote:
All of the this with the exception of Chichi. As much as I love Roshi and Oolong, the pervert gags are getting a little annoying. I'm sure they do other things besides looking at dirty mags (Pfft! Who am I kidding? Of course they won't!) Buu is becoming/is an unlikable asshole. I know he's suppose to be childlike but he's coming off more like a spoiled brat. And Videl... *sigh*... Oh, Videl. She has become nothing more than a boring housewife whose only purpose is to carry fetus Pan.
Even Z Chi Chi I think had some moments to show she does more than just yell at people. Like when she told Goku to take Gohan to the ROSAT one last time. She was understanding and knew the world came first here. She was being cool. Here...I think every line in Super is mostly yelling at someone, or playing off Roshi's non stop perviness.

Roshi in particular has so much more to offer as a wise figure...but he's hardly that anymore. I Guess Kaio and Whis may take this role from him entirely.

Videl is yeah...boring. She's average and has none of that spunk she once had.She's basically token girl character.

Boo was someone who deeply cared for Mr. Satan and would understand what he had to say, but now he's a dick. I can't imagine this is the Boo that lets Mr. Satan win in their fights at the tournament.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:52 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Even Z Chi Chi I think had some moments to show she does more than just yell at people. Like when she told Goku to take Gohan to the ROSAT one last time. She was understanding and knew the world came first here. She was being cool. Here...I think every line in Super is mostly yelling at someone, or playing off Roshi's non stop perviness.
She was worried about Goten's education in the first episode.

About Boo, I think they're setting him up to change. The whole "I'm strong, so I do what I want" speech he had in episode 6, proceded by the beating he got by Beerus. It feels like it may lead somewhere.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:57 pm

And Videl... *sigh*... Oh, Videl. She has become nothing more than a boring housewife whose only purpose is to carry fetus Pan.
Videl- Natasha Rostova of Dragon Ball.

As I wrote nobody (apart from Tolstoy) just sits and thinks that he will write a misogynist characteristic. Chi-Chi at least has her character- maybe bitchy, annoying and stereotypical, but she actually exists as one and was developed believably. Meanwhile Videl was reduced to movable incubator with options for cooking and cleaning house. I mean just look at the opening- Gohan is studying, but the only thing they have to show about her is making her a home servant.
It's nothing wrong with starting family early, but there's everything wrong with reducing talented fighter and vigilante crime fighter into nothing but incubator.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:01 pm

Doctor. wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Even Z Chi Chi I think had some moments to show she does more than just yell at people. Like when she told Goku to take Gohan to the ROSAT one last time. She was understanding and knew the world came first here. She was being cool. Here...I think every line in Super is mostly yelling at someone, or playing off Roshi's non stop perviness.

About Boo, I think they're setting him up to change. The whole "I'm strong, so I do what I want" speech he had in episode 6, proceeded by the beating he got by Beerus. It feels like it may lead somewhere.
Which in itself feels like a repeat of Gohan. In the Boo saga she didn't seem so hard on Goten nor as worried about him. It seemed Goku's death mellowed her out. Though we could argue she's not as bad now as she isn't forcing books into Goten's hands all the time.

Perhaps, but it feels like a weird regression. If they subtly had Boo become more of a dick for some reason, I guess it'd be better, but it seems he regressed, just to progress again. This Boo probably wouldn't have stopped killing. Hell Boo didn't whine or groan at Satan telling him to stop, he thought about it and said ok. Boo was a really good friend of Satan, but now he's a horrible friend.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:05 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

About Boo, I think they're setting him up to change. The whole "I'm strong, so I do what I want" speech he had in episode 6, proceeded by the beating he got by Beerus. It feels like it may lead somewhere.
Which in itself feels like a repeat of Gohan. In the Boo saga she didn't seem so hard on Goten nor as worried about him. It seemed Goku's death mellowed her out. Though we could argue she's not as bad now as she isn't forcing books into Goten's hands all the time.

Perhaps, but it feels like a weird regression. If they subtly had Boo become more of a dick for some reason, I guess it'd be better, but it seems he regressed, just to progress again. This Boo probably wouldn't have stopped killing. Hell Boo didn't whine or groan at Satan telling him to stop, he thought about it and said ok. Boo was a really good friend of Satan, but now he's a horrible friend.
Yea, it may be a repeat. But at least it's something more than just bitching 24/7.

Someone brought this up elsewhere, but it's possible he's grumpy because he has to hibernate soon in the F arc. I doubt Toei is gonna address it at all, but it's a possibility.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:13 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Scarz wrote:
Even Z Chi Chi I think had some moments to show she does more than just yell at people. Like when she told Goku to take Gohan to the ROSAT one last time. She was understanding and knew the world came first here. She was being cool. Here...I think every line in Super is mostly yelling at someone, or playing off Roshi's non stop perviness.

Roshi in particular has so much more to offer as a wise figure...but he's hardly that anymore. I Guess Kaio and Whis may take this role from him entirely.

Videl is yeah...boring. She's average and has none of that spunk she once had.She's basically token girl character.

Boo was someone who deeply cared for Mr. Satan and would understand what he had to say, but now he's a dick. I can't imagine this is the Boo that lets Mr. Satan win in their fights at the tournament.
Not to mention when he did act peverted he was tactful in his acts and it was legitimitely funny.
dbzfan7 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

When they were bring Goku's bed-ridden body to Kamehameha House and 10 day wait.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:16 pm

Chichi was happy to let Goku train, she was glad for the money for Goten's education, and wanted to compete at Bingo with #18 but was sad Goku wasn't there to boost their family numbers -- she was also cradling Goten after he was injured. Most of her yelling scenes were around Roshi, which given it annoyed everyone else in this thread, I'm not sure it is a valid complaint, since he is being a stereotype.

She did yell at Krillin for not fighting, but it was a pretty tense situation and it was a good interaction to have him acknowledge #18 is stronger and that he is retired as a fighter and is concerned for his daughter, and it gave Yamcha a moment. It gives me hope that they might flesh out the conterpoint scene in RoF -- maybe #18 and Krillin take turns protecting Marron?

Anyway, I would love more Chichi scenes that don't involve her yelling at perverts, but that would probably be more likely if Roshi stopped acting like a pervert and more like an old martial artist on occassion. But she has done something other than yell.

I'm mostly upset at Roshi's characterization so far. Videl -- not enough scens with her to tell one way or another. She just seems in love, which fair enough. I think Buu's characterization is fine: he is an overgrown child -- he needs time to be domesticated, plus it gives Mr. Satan something to do.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:30 pm

Videl kind of came in at a weird time I think. If we got a version of her in say during the time Tien was introduced and she kept up her training, she probably would've remained useful for a good chunk of time until the aliens started stomping the humans in that regard.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:30 pm

Majin Boo. There was a charm to his gluttony, in Super, he's basically become Eric Cartman.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:32 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The only item I've truly disliked so far and can't hand-wave away as either an anomaly or mountain-out-of-a-molehill has been Kuririn's "Why me?" That's such a movie-only thing and to see it come up again here is rather disheartening.
Oddly enough coming from me maybe, I actually liked that moment. :lol: Then again, despite being the huge fan of the character that I am, I really never had a problem with those moments for him in the old movies (which I did recognize as this clearly hearkening back to, heh). I can see how it'd be a bit of an eye-roll moment if it started happening every scene he was in in Super, but as it stands right now as just one little reference to those old moments? It got a smile out of me at any rate.

For me the only flanderization I've really noticed is definitely Videl's. I mean, sure, she already seemed pretty mellowed out in Battle of Gods. And I do absolutely love seeing the lovey-dovey stuff between her and Gohan. But good lord, it's like she's completely lost all of that spunk that she used to have. It's just so hard to imagine her having mellowed out to this degree just from being married to Gohan. If anything, I'd have imagined he'd be alongside Mr. Satan trying to hold her back from jumping in to the fight, or something, at least up until Pan is conceived.

And maybe that's why I found her being this way so much less obtrusive in BoG than I do in Super - Pan was very much a thing in Battle of Gods. Here, that doesn't seem to be the case at all at least so far, so...why is she still so changed? It's something I'd love for them to elaborate on, but it's unlikely they will, so...
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)