The Only Way Super Will Be Watchable in English

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

The Only Way Super Will Be Watchable in English

Post by NeoKING » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:41 am

There is only one way this show will be entertaining in English and that is if Funimation decides to go with a gag dub.

Super has to be making fun of itself, it has to be. As of the latest episode it appears it's a parody of BoG. We have to get a gag dub. And I don't mean gag dub like Duel Masters, I'm talking Funimation Crayon Shin-Chan comedy.
Last edited by NeoKING on Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faustus
Beyond Newbie

Re: The Only Way Super Will Be Watchable in English

Post by Faustus » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:17 am

I'll agree with the suggestion -- if this is indeed what you're suggesting -- that Super has a tendency of stretching and melodramatizing certain scenes from BoG almost to the absurd degree of self-parody (first Beerus-slaps-Bulma, now the God ritual)... but lots of people seem to be enjoying Super as a whole just fine as it is -- myself included. No gag dub necessary.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:43 am

NeoKING wrote:There is only one way this show will be entertaining in English is if Funimation decides to go with a gag dub.

Super has to be making fun of itself, it has to be. As of the latest episode it appears it's a parody of BoG. We have to get a gag dub. And I don't mean gag dub like Duel Masters, I'm talking Funimation Crayon Shin-Chan comedy.
I don't like Super, but well, let the Team Four Star dub it. Let's kill the Dragon Ball completely, as TOEI is doing half the job with bad writing and animators, that draw like the more talented kindergarten kids :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:29 am

I think they'll give it the same treatment they gave the Battle of Gods dub, keep the script mostly accurate with a few jokes added when appropriate, as long as it's accurate enough and the actors are as good as they are in Kai then I'll be happy with the dub...whenever it arrives...

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:39 pm

So you mean using the same cast they have been using. Gotcha.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:49 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:So you mean using the same cast they have been using. Gotcha.
Hilarious. I said make it a gag dub, ergo change the direction, not cast. Dubbing isn't just about voices, you know.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:57 pm

You know what...i kind of agree. But get team four star to do it! Super might actually be worth watching if they did a gag dub lol

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:15 pm

Seriously what is with all of the dub bashing lately?

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:22 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:Seriously what is with all of the dub bashing lately?
Who's dub bashing?

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:34 pm

I actually love this idea. lol.

It's not like they've never done something like it either:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8lvsVfa3Yg
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:56 pm

I don't like thing, therefore thing must be treated as a joke.

Right.

So what are you looking to get out of this thread?
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:43 pm

NeoKING wrote:
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:Seriously what is with all of the dub bashing lately?
Who's dub bashing?
NeoKING in this thread.
Son Gohan 1995 - http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=31606
Ree - http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=31606
thatdbzguy - http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=26496
Vegitofaxx - http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=29820

Don't forget most of the commenters in each thread.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:44 pm

Ajay wrote:I don't like thing, therefore thing must be treated as a joke.

Right.

So what are you looking to get out of this thread?
More like I don't like thing, however if there is a chance for thing to be improved upon then in this case a gag dub may help, similar as to how Z Kai was Funimation's newest shot to sell more Dragon Ball and provide a better dub than ever before, Super could be their way of selling new Dragon Ball and making it more than a shoddy BoG entertaining.

I'm looking to rustle jimmies like yours, apparently.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:03 pm

Super is brand new material they don't need to do anything it will sell incredibly well as is, if anything a "gag dub" will worsen sales.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:13 pm

Dragon Ball does not need dated pop culture references exclusive to the English dub.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:20 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Super is bad new material they don't need to do anything it will sell incredibly well as is, if anything a "gag dub" will worsen sales.
Fixed. Super isn't a great show on its own to be honest. And I know, everyone has an opinion.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:36 pm

In all honesty, what I'd like them to do is skip the BoG and F arcs, and wait until they can dub the Universe 6 one. Leading up to the premiere of Super (Uni 6 arc), they can air the two modern movies on Toonami (one per Saturday). Anything missing from the movies that may have been revealed during the F arc can be briefly recapped. Later on, they can release the lost arcs on DVD/Blu-Ray, or air them after the end of the Uni 6 arc.

How awesome would it be if the Universe 6 saga aired in both the US and Japan at the same time? It would be a big deal. Wishful thinking, I guess.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:47 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:In all honesty, what I'd like them to do is skip the BoG and F arcs, and wait until they can dub the Universe 6 one. Leading up to the premiere of Super (Uni 6 arc), they can air the two modern movies on Toonami (one per Saturday). Anything missing from the movies that may have been revealed during the F arc can be briefly recapped. Later on, they can release the lost arcs on DVD/Blu-Ray, or air them after the end of the Uni 6 arc.

How awesome would it be if the Universe 6 saga aired in both the US and Japan at the same time? It would be a big deal. Wishful thinking, I guess.
So GT it? That could be either a really good move or a really pointless move, I guess it depends on how well Kai's ratings go and whether or not Super's first 2 arcs actually do change or add anything important.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:52 pm

I'm all for the cast having fun with it, not a gag dub per-say, but definitely a lighter approach.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:02 pm

funrush wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:In all honesty, what I'd like them to do is skip the BoG and F arcs, and wait until they can dub the Universe 6 one. Leading up to the premiere of Super (Uni 6 arc), they can air the two modern movies on Toonami (one per Saturday). Anything missing from the movies that may have been revealed during the F arc can be briefly recapped. Later on, they can release the lost arcs on DVD/Blu-Ray, or air them after the end of the Uni 6 arc.

So GT it?
Basically, yeah. Only with Super, it makes much more sense, especially if the quality does increase the minute they reach the new arc.