Anybody already stopped watching Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Re: Anybody already stopped watching Super?

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:16 pm

So they ARE there?!

Clearly my network of informants has failed me and someone must be made an example of. >:(
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:38 pm

I haven't watched the last 3 episodes. I lost interest in this Freeza Arc. I'm just waiting for the 24th.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

CosmicSaiyan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by CosmicSaiyan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:56 pm

Sodhi wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Shueisha doesn't care all that much about sales outside Japan though; that's part of why I think One Piece (well, at least One Piece's movies) get more effort put into them.
And that's their biggest mistake. That's not a vision a company should have.
As JulieYBM has said, "Super is funded to sell the products released pretty much only in Japan. None of its sponsors are concerned with overseas fans".
Thats terrible, i wish anime in general was more popular and recognized and western countries!
terrible marketing, bad campaigns and most important different interests. ;(
I would rather then just move to japan, Cause it would be like almost living in dragon ball world XD

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:10 am

CosmicSaiyan wrote:I would rather then just move to japan, Cause it would be like almost living in dragon ball world XD
Don't be so sure about that.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:11 pm

I think people had their hopes way too high for the animation. I think people are going to have their hopes crush even more if they are expecting things to look super amazing in the next few months. People think that Dragon Ball is a big name that Toei is going to put all of their time and resources into the show because it's Dragon Ball. I always knew that the animation was not going to perfect since it's Toei. If the Universe 6 story and future stories are good then I won't be bother by the animation.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Michie
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michie » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:17 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:After Sailor Moon Crystal and Digimon Xtro Wars, was anyone expecting Super to have good animation?
Sailor Moon was a streaming anime and Digimon had decent animation. It wasn't anything special but it wasn't bad either. The fights were really well done.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:07 pm

CosmicSaiyan wrote:
Thats terrible, i wish anime in general was more popular and recognized and western countries!
Animation in general tends to be pretty niche. It's view for kids or grown man children here in the US. Japan views anime no different then how we do with cartoons in the US. Anime is normally view for kids or geeky type of people like Otakus in Japan from what I've been told.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:14 pm

It depends on the series. Dragon Ball is aimed at kids and the general audience, which is why it's been mostly stripped of things that might be offensive. Pocket Monster is the same. Something like Shingeki no Kyojin has some ties to the mainstream but is more focused on the fan market, not the same sort of child-friendly market Dragon Ball and One Piece are aimed towards. Then there are cartoons made purely for Otaku, fans a part of a sub-culture. The US doesn't have such an equivalent, in part due to the lack of presence of mature animation during the early days of television.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:13 pm

Sodhi wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Shueisha doesn't care all that much about sales outside Japan though; that's part of why I think One Piece (well, at least One Piece's movies) get more effort put into them.
And that's their biggest mistake. That's not a vision a company should have.
As JulieYBM has said, "Super is funded to sell the products released pretty much only in Japan. None of its sponsors are concerned with overseas fans".
Nonsense. Toei and Bandai depend heavily on overseas DB license & merch sales.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:18 pm

Basaku wrote:
Sodhi wrote: As JulieYBM has said, "Super is funded to sell the products released pretty much only in Japan. None of its sponsors are concerned with overseas fans".
Nonsense. Toei and Bandai depend heavily on overseas DB license & merch sales.
Correction, Toei depends on that. Bandai makes so much money it doesn't even need to care about Dragon Ball, I mean besides DB, Bandai makes merchandise for Gundam, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Ultraman, Power Rangers, Godzilla, Naruto, Digimon and much much more under its belt. Money isn't a hard thing for Bandai and probably never will be. I mean do you know how much money they make on Gunpla kits (Gundam Plastic Model Kits.) alone? Quite a lot!

Even then, first thing Japanese companies are gonna give a crap about is the local market where they will make the majority of their money, its more reliable and easy to focus there. Focusing on overseas is a much bigger risk in the grand scheme of things, you can't gurantee mass sales even with a big product like Dragon Ball. It's just a much bigger market then the local market in Japan where they can make much more educated and accurate guesses.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:48 pm

voltlunok wrote: Correction, Toei depends on that. Bandai makes so much money it doesn't even need to care about Dragon Ball, I mean besides DB, Bandai makes merchandise for Gundam, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Ultraman, Power Rangers, Godzilla, Naruto, Digimon and much much more under its belt. Money isn't a hard thing for Bandai and probably never will be. I mean do you know how much money they make on Gunpla kits (Gundam Plastic Model Kits.) alone? Quite a lot!

Even then, first thing Japanese companies are gonna give a crap about is the local market where they will make the majority of their money, its more reliable and easy to focus there. Focusing on overseas is a much bigger risk in the grand scheme of things, you can't gurantee mass sales even with a big product like Dragon Ball. It's just a much bigger market then the local market in Japan where they can make much more educated and accurate guesses.
I was talking DB sales, not all Bandai properties & brands. DB merch & games aint just sold in Japan, particularly when it comes to video game business the overseas money trumps domestic revenue.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:21 am

Basaku wrote:
voltlunok wrote: Correction, Toei depends on that. Bandai makes so much money it doesn't even need to care about Dragon Ball, I mean besides DB, Bandai makes merchandise for Gundam, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Ultraman, Power Rangers, Godzilla, Naruto, Digimon and much much more under its belt. Money isn't a hard thing for Bandai and probably never will be. I mean do you know how much money they make on Gunpla kits (Gundam Plastic Model Kits.) alone? Quite a lot!

I was talking DB sales, not all Bandai properties & brands. DB merch & games aint just sold in Japan, particularly when it comes to video game business the overseas money trumps domestic revenue.
And I pointed out, based on what you said and I quote "Nonsense. Toei and Bandai depend heavily on overseas DB license & merch sales." that Bandai does not 'depend heavily' on DB's merch or license sales. I'm sure they'll work on overseas later but right now its all about domestic domestic domestic. Least when it comes to super.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:07 pm

voltlunok wrote: And I pointed out, based on what you said and I quote "Nonsense. Toei and Bandai depend heavily on overseas DB license & merch sales." that Bandai does not 'depend heavily' on DB's merch or license sales.
Then you misunderstood.
voltlunok wrote:I'm sure they'll work on overseas later but right now its all about domestic domestic domestic. Least when it comes to super.
It doesn't work like that, not with properties that sell globally. Projected worldwide revenue gets accounted for and taken into consideration in all financial plans and strategies from the get go, even if domestic market is slated to be first to get new content.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:09 pm

Basaku wrote:
voltlunok wrote: And I pointed out, based on what you said and I quote "Nonsense. Toei and Bandai depend heavily on overseas DB license & merch sales." that Bandai does not 'depend heavily' on DB's merch or license sales.
Then you misunderstood.
I don't see how with such a clear cut, black and white statement as that.
Basaku wrote:
voltlunok wrote:I'm sure they'll work on overseas later but right now its all about domestic domestic domestic. Least when it comes to super.
It doesn't work like that, not with properties that sell globally. Projected worldwide revenue gets accounted for and taken into consideration in all financial plans and strategies from the get go, even if domestic market is slated to be first to get new content.
This is true, to a degree. Often global sales are taken into account and estimated around the beginning but this is mostly to determine if it's worth the risk. This is why we actually have a lot of games for popular franchises like Digimon, Gundam, Saint Seiya, and more, that never leave Japan. Cause estimates show that they won't make enough money. Hence why it took about a year and a half of petitioning from Operation Decode to get Bandai Namco to localize Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth in the western market, because they showed there was demand for it or why there are actually a TON of good looking games for the PS Vita only available in Japan. But also like you said, the domestic market is slated first. I mean Super isn't even a year old at this point...it's probably gonna head this way around the time it is a year old.

Anyways, this feels like its getting wildly off topic so...I think I'm gonna stop here. Have a nice day.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:32 pm

voltlunok wrote: I don't see how with such a clear cut, black and white statement as that.
Bandai having 267453 properties and brands is a common knowledge that only requires visiting a kids or video game alley in supermarket once and seeing their logo plastered everywhere. So unless you think I never been there in my life, feel free to think I don't know DB is not their bread & butter. :P I wrote depend in the context of overall (domestic + overseas) DB brand sales. In the context of full company revenue from all products and properties, neither Toei or Bandai depend on DB, as in neither would go under if DB failed to bring any revenue. It's a much bigger chunk for Toei compared to Bandai, but Toei has multiple big properties as well so they don't depend on DB brand to exist either.
voltlunok wrote: This is true, to a degree. Often global sales are taken into account and estimated around the beginning but this is mostly to determine if it's worth the risk. This is why we actually have a lot of games for popular franchises like Digimon, Gundam, Saint Seiya, and more, that never leave Japan. Cause estimates show that they won't make enough money. Hence why it took about a year and a half of petitioning from Operation Decode to get Bandai Namco to localize Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth in the western market, because they showed there was demand for it or why there are actually a TON of good looking games for the PS Vita only available in Japan. But also like you said, the domestic market is slated first. I mean Super isn't even a year old at this point...it's probably gonna head this way around the time it is a year old.
Which is the point. Xenoverse 2 won't get 20 million budget to profit from just 1 million or so of domestic sales, it will get 50+ million budget becuase Bandai can safely assume they will sell 3 million+ globally, even if it releases first in Japan. Final Fanatsy games almost always release first in Japan, doesn't change the fact that Square Enix budgets them for 5+ million global sales from the get go. Not everything can sell equally well everywhere, but DB is a proven international property for both Toei and Bandai so there's little doubt that international money is considered and counted on heavily with new projects, Super included.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:28 pm

I'll be brutally honest. I think Dragon Ball Super is complete garbage. I haven't even been able to finish some of these episodes. And it's not just the animation it's the story they are trying to tell.. I feel like they half ass the episodes and don't put much effort into developing a good story. I'm not even going to blame Toei animations, that's a given. They have been bad for a while now. Have you seen the other iconic Japanese anime "Saint Seiya" ? Equally embarrassing animation and drawing. I do however blame Akira for allowing his product to fall this low in 2016. One thing is 1980's and 90's but in today's age there's no excuse for this.

I'll give the Champa arc a chance but if it's bad I'll walk away like I did with GT. No need to waste anymore time.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:34 pm

julianix wrote:I do however blame Akira for allowing his product to fall this low in 2016. One thing is 1980's and 90's but in today's age there's no excuse for this.
Wait. Why do you blame Toriyama for this? It's not like he has any influence on how the show is animated.
Is it the story?

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:29 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
julianix wrote:I do however blame Akira for allowing his product to fall this low in 2016. One thing is 1980's and 90's but in today's age there's no excuse for this.
Wait. Why do you blame Toriyama for this? It's not like he has any influence on how the show is animated.
Is it the story?
Yeah the story for me is a real killer. There's so many aspect of dbs that sound great on paper but it's executed horribly. As for Akira Toriyama deserving some of the blame. I absolutely stand behind that statement. He has final say and he alone can set a standard for the series.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:01 pm

julianix wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
Is it the story?
Yeah the story for me is a real killer. There's so many aspect of dbs that sound great on paper but it's executed horribly. As for Akira Toriyama deserving some of Akira Toriyama doesn't have final say in what ever happens in Dragon Ball Super. Shueisha, Bandai and Toei do.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:38 am

julianix wrote: Yeah the story for me is a real killer. There's so many aspect of dbs that sound great on paper but it's executed horribly. As for Akira Toriyama deserving some of the blame. I absolutely stand behind that statement. He has final say and he alone can set a standard for the series.
What's wrong w/ the story ? Dragon Ball never had a complex story to begin with.This isn't Deathnote or FMA.
Lord Beerus wrote:Yeah the story for me is a real killer. There's so many aspect of dbs that sound great on paper but it's executed horribly. As for Akira Toriyama deserving some of Akira Toriyama doesn't have final say in what ever happens in Dragon Ball Super. Shueisha, Bandai and Toei do.
Did you just copy what the other guy have said ?