Anybody already stopped watching Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raizel
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Anybody already stopped watching Super?

Post by Raizel » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:30 pm

I'm not gonna drop this until it's end or somehow Oolong turns into Pig God.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:22 pm

I pretty much dropped watching with subs. I hardly care what they say since it's pretty much just gonna be Battle of Gods again! I watch it once on the livestream so I'm up to date, and I don't care what's said no more. If anything major is brought up, the forum will tell me. Instead of just doing a re-imagining for Battle of Gods which they should have, they rehash it into a worse version of the movie. It's like they didn't figure out the new stuff yet, and so we're being padded out til we finally arrive to it. I though the show might expand upon the movies and maybe give more to the characters...but no it doesn't really do that. It just safely follows the Battle of Gods plot and pads out everything it can.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:56 pm

Its only 22 minutes a week, are you guys saying you can't have 22 minutes to spare for the show?

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:00 pm

precita wrote:Its only 22 minutes a week, are you guys saying you can't have 22 minutes to spare for the show?
Eh, if people don't like it, or are just bored with the current content, I don't see why they should be guilt-tripped into it.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:12 pm

precita wrote:Its only 22 minutes a week, are you guys saying you can't have 22 minutes to spare for the show?
This is the reason why I watch it. I don't like the direction it's going at all, but it's still enjoyable enough (i.e. not unbearably boring) to pass time with and later discuss. Not like every episode is over an hour long. =P

That said, I tend to cringe and facepalm every episode. I think I'm going to have a similar experience with Super as I do with the Bleach manga. I still read it for the fuck of it because I started it years ago, but I hate it more and more every passing week. I don't know why I do it. I just do...
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:11 pm

I stopped watching a few episodes ago, but I still keep up with the episodes and watch clips of interesting bits. I think the issue is that having seen BoG it is just boring for me, hopefully I can start watching again once it moves on as I haven't actually seen RoF so I can tune in for that. I really don't know who thought it would be a good idea to retell the movies, it seems so redundant.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:19 pm

I only watch each episode once. The lousy production scheduling and music placement kill a lot of my anticipation. I know not to expect anything good, which is probably why I can still watch each new episode, but the series is definitely not winning itself any praise.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:26 pm

No. Watched every episode many times.

Hyped as hell for the rest of the episodes.

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:46 pm

I'm still watching it, hoping we can get past the F arc as quickly as possible and start getting to the new material and pray it's a step up from what we have now. I guess that's just wishful thinking... Having just re-watched the first ten episodes of GT I can say so far I enjoy GT more than Super which is kinda disappointing, I was hoping for something better. It's probably just the poor retelling of BoG.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

DBZMerciter2005
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZMerciter2005 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:02 pm

So far I've enjoyed Super. After episode 6 I began watching raws and relying on my shoddy Japanese to fill in the gaps. It's not all that important to get the dialogue since other fans explain what's going on later. I speed up the video to 4x (I use windows media player classic) and spend five minutes watching new content. I like the artwork -- especially the stuff from the SSJGod ritual -- and the novelty of new DBZ stuff hasn't worn off yet, not for me anyway.

I can understand a lot of fans not watching until U6 but I'd bet that most fans that do so have watched BoG a lot more than I have. I've only ever seen it twice and I saw the Spanish dub of RoF so I'm not oversaturated with the material. That won't be the case for everyone, obviously, but it is an observation that I've made. Nothing wrong with that, though.
Imp. Cell: "Do you think you're being CUTE?"
SSJ Vegeta: "Bitch, I'm adorable."
~ TFS DBZA Episode 50

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:15 pm

DBZMerciter2005 wrote:So far I've enjoyed Super. After episode 6 I began watching raws and relying on my shoddy Japanese to fill in the gaps. It's not all that important to get the dialogue since other fans explain what's going on later. I speed up the video to 4x (I use windows media player classic) and spend five minutes watching new content. I like the artwork -- especially the stuff from the SSJGod ritual -- and the novelty of new DBZ stuff hasn't worn off yet, not for me anyway.

I can understand a lot of fans not watching until U6 but I'd bet that most fans that do so have watched BoG a lot more than I have. I've only ever seen it twice and I saw the Spanish dub of RoF so I'm not oversaturated with the material. That won't be the case for everyone, obviously, but it is an observation that I've made. Nothing wrong with that, though.

Maybe that is the case with me, too (although I do watch the full episode not sped up). Granted, I love rewatching or rereading stuff I like in general, but I've seen BoG once on DVD and the extended edition once on amazon. So although the stuff is not new it is also nothing I have poured over for ages and have memorized, and it is nice to see it again and am having a great time. Plus, the only thing I don't like about BoG is the cringeworthy Bingo scene (I like the idea in theory, but… too much secondhand embarrassment to watch it again), they made it 1000% better in Super.

Same with RoF -- seen it twice (spanish and english), would love to see bits of it expanded, especially Jaco or the Whis scenes.

That said, other than the Saiyan and Namek Saga, I read spoilers, manga and episode descriptions ahead of time for DBZ. Almost nothing in DB/DBZ was "new" or "surprising" when I saw it. That never diminished my enjoyment of it. Similarly, knowing the basic plot of Super doesn't diminish my enjoyment of seeing things fleshed out, especially all the new bits.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:50 am

I think what disappoints me the most, more than any of the embarrassingly poor production elements, is the fact that Toei are so risk-averse in regard to the show content that they're stifling any potential for it to be judged beyond its production flaws. The fact that, apparently, they have so little from Toriyama to work with other than the two films he has been involved in and are having to string them out into a poor man's version for TV is just baffling - surely nobody, anywhere in the world, would have taken that premise if Toei had advertised it for what it was from the start.

This franchise has been bedraggled by regurgitation since 1997. I thought that Kai was a regurgitation too far, but in a lot of ways, Super feels somehow worse.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Still going strong somehow

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:16 pm

I wonder if Kei or another Japanese forumer knows if Toei set up Super to be a nostalgia trip for older audiences but at the same time targeting those parents' kids. Super is pretty kid-friendly and I imagine it would be satisfying to introduce your children to the same franchise you grew up enjoying in the 80s.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:36 pm

I'm still watching and enjoying Super. But that doesn't mean I haven't had issues with the show. (Pacing, roller coaster quality animation and art, Pilaf Gang...)

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Still going strong somehow

Post by Cipher » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:54 pm

LuckyCat wrote:I wonder if Kei or another Japanese forumer knows if Toei set up Super to be a nostalgia trip for older audiences but at the same time targeting those parents' kids. Super is pretty kid-friendly and I imagine it would be satisfying to introduce your children to the same franchise you grew up enjoying in the 80s.
That absolutely has to be part of the angle, or we wouldn't have the little nostalgic elements like the "Head Cha-La" instrumental, which otherwise has zero relation to the series.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:32 pm

Not me. But sure, these last episodes were nothing special (7-10).
The animation and some of the art... *sigh*

Hopefully next episode bring back some of the fun that was in episode 6 since it was wrote by the same person who did that one.

Lets also hope that when F's arc come they won't drag a lot on simple events like it happened with BoG's arc (SSG ritual, rock paper scissors, Bulma Slap...).
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:45 pm

I have to admit, I'm not as excited as I was when Super started. Even knowing it was a retelling of BoG, I was hoping it might have a few surprises thrown in to mix things up. Still waiting for Champa and Lady!Whis to make an appearance.

I've considered dropping it until the retelling of BoG is over, but I might just let the episodes play in the background while I draw or something (like I did with the last ep).

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:33 am

Zombie wrote:No. Watched every episode many times.

Hyped as hell for the rest of the episodes.
This! Because it's new DB I know I could never drop it, and I will stay hyped. Sure there's been the odd annoying moment, but overall I like it. I like this more than I did GT anyway, and I couldn't have ever dropped that either.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:31 am

LuckyCat wrote:I wonder if Kei or another Japanese forumer knows if Toei set up Super to be a nostalgia trip for older audiences but at the same time targeting those parents' kids. Super is pretty kid-friendly and I imagine it would be satisfying to introduce your children to the same franchise you grew up enjoying in the 80s.
Dragon Ball is always a series for kids since the 80's and 90's. I don't think Super was plan to be another nostalgia trip for the older fans. Kai was pretty much a nostalgia trip for older audiences but at the same time targeting those parents' kids. Super is a brand new show that is not trying to focus on nostalgia.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:06 pm

Unfortunately i stopped at ep 5 i think...will probably wait for the bluray and english dub. However my curiosity gets the better of me and i come here to read up on whats happing

The show so far is really mediocre in almost every way that it sadden and pains me to watch. Being in the animation industry and looking up to some of the older dbz animation, the bad animation is a huge deal for me. Nothing from super art and animation wise has been good.

Another thing is the story. I wasnt the biggest fan of BOG, thinking the only good thing from it was the introduction of Berrus and Whis. So when watching super and finding out its a worse re telling of BoG (which is the most stupid thing ever) it was really the nail in the coffin ontop of the bad music, pacing and portrayal of characters.

I'm hoping the new material will be decent but even if it isnt ill still watch it. Its just the rehashing of BOG pisses me off lol
Last edited by Shinsa on Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.