Anybody already stopped watching Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaSith
Regular

Re: Anybody already stopped watching Super?

Post by SaiyaSith » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:20 pm

No, DBS has been great and it's only getting better. If we didn't see the movies, the show would be a lot more impactful, but I'm very thankful Dragon Ball is back. I've been waiting for a new series for years and years. This is one of the best times to be a Dragon Ball fan!

And for the people complaining about the animation, Toei fixes the rushed animation/ errors for the Bluray versions:

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:26 am

SaiyaSith wrote:And for the people complaining about the animation, Toei fixes the rushed animation/ errors for the Bluray versions:
There's no guarantee for that. As far as I know, this is not a common thing for them. Saint Seiya and Sailor Moon did it, yes... but I'm pretty sure One Piece looks exactly the same on TV and on the home releases, for example.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:58 am

kei17 wrote:I did. The huge disappointment made me get away from the community for a while. I can't believe myself because I had been looking forward to it to death. Now, every Sunday I feel guilty about ignoring a long-waited new series of my all-time favorite franchise.

What made you give up watching Super? Rehashed story? Bad animation? Will you restart watching it at some point?

For me, it's the totally rehashed story that bugs me the most. Someone tell me when the story gets to truly new stuff. I'll return to the show.
And this is the reason super seems to get exacted in 2016 already; because ratings fall. Personally I enjoy a different take on Bog, even though I'd enjoy a brand new story a lot more.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:40 am

I did because it is basically retelling Battle of Gods and Resurrection F. Once it starts showing something new I'll start watching it again.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:24 am

I haven't watched Dragon Ball Super since episode seven. Granted, my attempt to review the show on a weekly basis probably burned me out more than anything else, but the sub-par quality didn't help. It's such a shoddy product, and a haphazard adaptation. It's hard to feel strongly about it one way or another. Toei Animation clearly doesn't care all that much about it, so why should I? Maybe I'll wait until Funimation picks up the show to start watching again. I am curious about how the Resurrection F arc will turn out, along with the original stories that follow, of course. It's a shame we've had to wade through such an inferior version of Battle of Gods to get to those.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:15 pm

I'm still watching it but I understand why you or anyone else dropped it but I think you should give it a chance once the current arc is over cause it looks like they're making up for the previews flaws with the final battle.
Last edited by sintzu on Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:18 pm

Episodes 4-8 are pretty bad,ep 9 is average but episode 10 is probably the 2nd best episode with episode 2 being 1rst,and judging from the preview,it seems like episode 11 will be better than 10

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:25 pm

SSJ3 Vegeta wrote:Episodes 4-8 are pretty bad,ep 9 is average but episode 10 is probably the 2nd best episode with episode 2 being 1rst,and judging from the preview,it seems like episode 11 will be better than 10
Episode 6 is bad? It's probably the best episode, imo.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:38 pm

I'm hungry for new content. I indulged too much with BOG and F when they were coming out and now that Super's doing its own versions it's a challenge to find bits in here that are both fresh and entertaining. I want to theorize again in other words and I won't be able to satisfactorily do that with Super until we hit that third arc it seems.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:54 pm

Doctor. wrote:
SSJ3 Vegeta wrote:Episodes 4-8 are pretty bad,ep 9 is average but episode 10 is probably the 2nd best episode with episode 2 being 1rst,and judging from the preview,it seems like episode 11 will be better than 10
Episode 6 is bad? It's probably the best episode, imo.
The only good thing about it is Chef Vegeta and Mr. Boo getting his just desserts (no pun intended).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:11 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:The only good thing about it is Chef Vegeta and Mr. Boo getting his just desserts (no pun intended).
And Beerus' very atmospheric and eerie appearance and how he torments Vegeta for the entire episode, as well as the flashback with King Vegeta giving Beerus a lot more depth instead of making him out to be just a petty character. I say that's a large chunk of the episode.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:49 pm

I'm watching and enjoying it, though I will admit it has flaws. However, once it gets to the Universe 6 arc I guarantee every Dragon Ball fan will be watching, out of curiosity at the very least.

The way I see it, animation that fluctuates in quality partnered with pacing issues are both problems that DBZ had as well. I also don't have a problem with the music other than it not being memorable and the only song I straight up don't like is that Goku theme song... (it says a lot when the most memorable piece of music from this show is the orchestral arrangement of a song from 26 years ago :| )

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:19 pm

Episode 11 definitely temporarily solved my "no new content?" issue. Completely different battle, and it was awesome. Thank you King Ryuu!!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:50 am

SaiyaSith wrote:No, DBS has been great and it's only getting better. If we didn't see the movies, the show would be a lot more impactful, but I'm very thankful Dragon Ball is back. I've been waiting for a new series for years and years. This is one of the best times to be a Dragon Ball fan!

And for the people complaining about the animation, Toei fixes the rushed animation/ errors for the Bluray versions:
BoG brought DB back enough as is, if anyone had the slightest inkling of what a clue is over at Toei, they'd have just used RoF as the starting point for Super instead of rehashing a movie that's not even half a decade old.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

NinjaGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by NinjaGoku » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:29 am

I skip through episodes, pacing is worse than One Piece .... that's bad, I mean Super isn't based on a weekly manga or anything.

Whatever the reasoning behind the slow pace for BOG arc I hope it has given Toei a chance to develop an interesting plot.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:47 am

I dropped it because I prefer binge watching, Netflix and Hulu trained me to be that way. I'll probably marathon it every 15-20 episodes or so.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:28 am

I was so near to drop it. Since the first 2 episodes, the series went to hell. Underdeveloped bland plot, taking elements from the movie maybe just because they were in the movie, but do nothing with them at all.
+ plotholes. Only reason I stayed is to go with my weekly sunday show routine and to see, if there will be Champa or anything new, as the promo manga is great.

Sadly, nothing. The first arc is completely unnecesary. Tough I kind of enjoyed episode 11 that reminded me of DB and DBZ feel, but that's kinda too late for my taste :(
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:00 am

I like Super, but most of the complains are 90% right. Especially regarding Rehashed story and bad animation, nonetheless, I am enjoying it every time watching it with my bro.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:02 am

Black_Liger wrote:I like Super, but most of the complains are 90% right. Especially regarding Rehashed story and bad animation, nonetheless, I am enjoying it every time watching it with my bro.
Watching it the same way, with my younger brother. What is funny, that he was almost bored to death, but in the moment when Goku arrived on the ship and the SSJG and fight with Beerus started, he was hooked up again.
His biggest complaint was that he already saw Battle of Gods, so he knows the outcome.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:11 pm

I'm watching it with my friend who has not seen Battle of Gods. And he really likes it! So does my cousin in France who knows nothing about Battle of Gods either...