Anybody already stopped watching Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Anybody already stopped watching Super?

Post by Doctor. » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:59 pm

To be fair, the Super Saiyan hair was ridiculously huge in the manga too when Goku transformed for the first time.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:01 pm

Doctor. wrote:To be fair, the Super Saiyan hair was ridiculously huge in the manga too when Goku transformed for the first time.
Still, Uchiyama couldn't draw SSJ hair properly. They always looked the laziest they ever looked.

And even that's no excuse, as much later in the series, the hair still looked off.
Uchiyama bonus:

Last edited by Araki on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:07 pm

Yea that's true, Uchiyama's style is awful in every way possible.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:30 am

Araki wrote: Uchiyama bonus:

I'm pretty sure this is actually from Dragon Ball Z Episode #177 with Hattori Ichirou of Douga Koubou as animation supervisor leading animators from both Douga Koubou and Studio Carpenter.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:46 am

JulieYBM wrote:I'm pretty sure this is actually from Dragon Ball Z Episode #177 with Hattori Ichirou of Douga Koubou as animation supervisor leading animators from both Douga Koubou and Studio Carpenter.
Is that, really? I found that under a collection of Uchiyama screenshots. And 177 actually looked good, IIRC..
irreality wrote:1. Not liking the art style is, of course, a matter of opinion. I think in terms of key frames, Super is less consistently off model from its own model (especially in the very uchiyama sense, of weird elongation/deformations), and I find that more appealing, even if we get a style that is not the same as early Dragon Ball.
I missed your post earlier, and i agree, the art in Super fluctuates a lot less than in Z. For casual viewers who don't nitpick it's much harder to realize that "oh, this episode was done by the bad animator guy". Even Yashima isn't aggressively bad to the average eye like Uchiyama was. But i think "off model" is an interesting subject since people only seem to bring it up whenever they dislike an art style, while giving others a pass.

For instance, take Studio Cockpit. They made some of my favorite DBZ episodes, but i'm certain they had to bother many fans, as the character design had almost nothing to do with Toriyama's. But don't most people like it, anyway? The beginning of Super #14 had some nice key animation by Onishi Ryo, but i've seen people saying it looked like crap. He's a very skilled key animator, but like the Cockpit staff, if they don't follow the original character design doesn't mean they can't do it. They simply don't want to or are more worried about other things like the flow of the animation and etc. The infamous Naruto Shippuuden episode 167 is a perfect example of people thinking off-modelness is automatically bad art/animation, when being off model doesn't necessarily means bad - it can be a choice.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:16 am

Yeah, I distinctly remember those being in the background while a well drawn Son Gokuu was in the foreground.

The entire episode has this weird thing going on with the close-ups being mostly well drawn by the animation having terrible timing.
She/Her
bisexual milf

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:20 am

That foreground vs background issue is so common in anime, I don't even take it into consideration in these discussions.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:44 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:That foreground vs background issue is so common in anime, I don't even take it into consideration in these discussions.
Indeed, i should have realized that was a background. My mistake. Characters often look poor and/or faceless from a distance, don't matter the series or studio.
But that doesn't stop people to bring up that kind of drawings in discussions all the time to judge the art.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:50 am

While it is definitely an issue of there simply being liitle time to draw detailed background characters I do feel that the lack of detail helps re-enforce a sense of distace. Definitely not the worst thing in the world, especially when foreground characters can be drawn in just as much of a rush.
She/Her
bisexual milf

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:33 pm

buutenks wrote: You do know u are comparing a movie right?

This is a TV series dont expect perfection.

And dbz had lame drawn characters to.people just seem to forget them for some reason...
No, the movies' best images weren't anything dramatically better than the series own peak of character model work. I think the movies were just able to do more with less rotation of studios on a single project unlike the series changing artists from episode to episode.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:02 am

The older movies used the same staff as the television series for the most part. Maeda, Nakatsuru, Satou, and Yamamuro were the animation supervisors with the in-house animators like Miyahara and Ide helping and animators from Seigasha, Studio Live, and Last House also participating.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:29 am

I'm still watching, DBS is been a series of ups and downs, two good episodes, the next one bad, and so on...

For me it's far from overcoming the quality DB/Z had before and with quality I mean: good history, interesting characters, nice battles and decent animation.

But I'm still watching, by curiosity and for being a Dragon Ball fanatic :lol:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:30 am

I'm almost done now to be honest, i can't take much more of this crap show.

I have just watched episode 18 and once again it was another unbelievably painful episode to watch. Goku and Vegeta being house maids..........seriously, this is what Dragon Ball fans like now ? The standards of Dragon Ball fans really must have lowered. Open your eyes, this is awful. It's so childish, it's not funny, it's just embarrassing.

Seriously, is this show just taking the piss ? I can't think of any anime i have watched that was worse than this. I'm not even exaggerating either, this is horrendous.

Dragon Ball Super is supposed to be aimed at kids, i get that, but it's coming across like it should be aimed at toddlers.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:57 am

Scott wrote:I'm almost done now to be honest, i can't take much more of this crap show.

I have just watched episode 18 and once again it was another unbelievably painful episode to watch. Goku and Vegeta being house maids..........seriously, this is what Dragon Ball fans like now ? The standards of Dragon Ball fans really must have lowered. Open your eyes, this is awful. It's so childish, it's not funny, it's just embarrassing.

Seriously, is this show just taking the piss ? I can't think of any anime i have watched that was worse than this. I'm not even exaggerating either, this is horrendous.

Dragon Ball Super is supposed to be aimed at kids, i get that, but it's coming across like it should be aimed at toddlers.
You're entitled to your opinion, but telling people to "open their eyes" is bordering on an insult to everyone who likes the show.

I can see why you would think it's not funny. There's various jokes that missed the mark by a mile. However, I don't see how the show is childish, or that different from some parts of the original series, were the mood was lighter.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:03 pm

Scott wrote:I'm almost done now to be honest, i can't take much more of this crap show.

Dragon ball was also childish so why didn't you quit when Goku was delivering milk and was digging dirt fields?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:45 pm

Scott wrote: Goku and Vegeta being house maids..........seriously, this is what Dragon Ball fans like now ? The standards of Dragon Ball fans really must have lowered. Open your eyes, this is awful. It's so childish, it's not funny, it's just embarrassing.

I understand why fans like it cause it's more DB but what gets me is instead of calling it what it is, some fans will say it's production and writing is the same as DB&Z's so anyone who doesn't like it must've outgrown the franchise.

It airs on Sunday mornings and is made to sell merchandise so it's definitely aimed at really young kids.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:04 pm

Good lord, why do you keep watching it then? Seriously, you do this every time, watch the episode, come to here, say the episode was bad, and say that everyone must've lowered their expectations. There's literally NO point to continue doing that, you don't like the show, fine, I can respect that, but please STOP acting condescending and pretentious.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:03 pm

I stopped watching for two episodes, but this Tagoma/Ginyu business got me curious. It's absolutely f'ing ridiculous that he and Frieza managed to get so strong in so little time, but I like Ginyu...
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:04 pm

How do you people notice the bad drawings in the background.I tend to miss them.Just noticed now with the pics which were posted.

Also,dbz especially the cell saga had some awful drawings.Namely the character bodies.Manga it was mostly spot on,however anime had some kickass ones and some really lames ones.Though that never really bothered me.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:08 pm

IM21 wrote:

Dragon ball was also childish so why didn't you quit when Goku was delivering milk and was digging dirt fields?
That was part of their training. Whis was making them work just cause...

Not that I mind the housemaid gag.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.