Anybody already stopped watching Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Anybody already stopped watching Super?

Post by kei17 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:05 pm

I did. The huge disappointment made me get away from the community for a while. I can't believe myself because I had been looking forward to it to death. Now, every Sunday I feel guilty about ignoring a long-waited new series of my all-time favorite franchise.

What made you give up watching Super? Rehashed story? Bad animation? Will you restart watching it at some point?

For me, it's the totally rehashed story that bugs me the most. Someone tell me when the story gets to truly new stuff. I'll return to the show.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Anybody already stopped watching Super?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:15 pm

Well, slight caveat here, I haven't watched it. Not really. I've seen the new OP, ED, and maybe a minute or two of the first episode (I couldn't help myself). However, my reason for not watching it is a very similar reason for you no longer watching it: I want new stuff. Upon hearing that it was going to essentially be a TV series version of BoG and RoF, I didn't see much of a point.

I have not been surprised to hear that the animation isn't good, to be honest. This is Toei we're talking about. That's their standard nowadays.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:24 pm

The upcoming re-telling of F coupled with the basically idiotic hope at this point that something interesting will be changed in the either BoG or F is the only reason I'm sticking with the pre-U6 stuff at the moment. It really takes some mountain sized of adamantium to think remaking the two biggest things to happen to the franchise so soon after their release with pointless padding and worse animation is a good way to start off a new series.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:34 pm

I watched up to episode 5 and just dropped due to loss of interest in the rehashed story. I'll probably watch any new stuff but for now nah.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

SSJ4_Zankuto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ4_Zankuto » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:44 pm

I stopped at episode 4 and then began watching Dragon Ball Super from episode 7 and onwards, but I can't wait until Champa shows up eventually.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:51 pm

I was wacthing the entire episodes until episode 4. After that, I just zapping and see some scenes to see how its going.
Now that were are on climax, I'm watching everything again (episode 9/10).

I will see everything properly when I have a good amount of episodes.

By the way, since you're japanese how is being the fans reaction over there?! Doubt much people are happy for having retellings too.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:59 pm

I stopped after episode 1. I watched a few clips of the later episodes, but that's about it. People make relativist fallacies all day long and take things to their logical conclusions, but we have to have some standards for entertainment. Super really doesn't excel at anything. The backlash isn't limited to the US or Latin America either.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:03 pm

Welcome back, Kei! We've missed you, friend.

Personally, I've been watching Super every week, but I'll admit it's disappointing so far that we're still in BoG territory. It's not bad, but it still sticks too close to the movie, isn't particularly well-animated, and drags it out a bit too long. I do like some of the added jokes and character moments though.

I'm optimistic the show will be more interesting and become more valuable to the overall mythos/franchise once we get into the RoF and Universe 6 arcs.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Absolute Ice
Beyond Newbie

Post by Absolute Ice » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:09 pm

I didn't stop yet, but it is kind of disappointing the anime is making the movies looking pointless to watch. I don't know, if only Dragon Ball Super covered only the in-betweens of Buu saga/Movie 14, Movie 14/Movie 15 and then goes straight to the true purpose... Maybe we would even see Tarble and his plot. Kinda sad but the anime itself is entertaining so far.
ジャネンバ ミラ

For a reality whose Janemba and Mira join the canon world and receive a proper personality.
The Greatest Villains Ever!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:10 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:By the way, since you're japanese how is being the fans reaction over there?! Doubt much people are happy for having retellings too.
A lot of casual fans on Twitter still seem to be enjoying it, but there's quite a few harsh criticisms by hardcore fans, too. The DB Super thread on 2ch is full of complaints.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:15 pm

I've been watching, but I really wish we started at Uni 6. I really enjoyed BOG, so for the most part I'm enjoying alternate!BOG (minus Pilaf Gang; they've gone from plot-convenience to annoying--all of their plot points in BOG were stripped from them in Super). I really liked the first two episodes of Super because they were fresh material (episode 2 is still my favorite; Vegeta, tiny train, choo-choo~) and I feel good about them using the writer of episode 2 to write the next three episodes. Also I get one more last hurrah out of ssjg Gokû this way.

If there is any point where I'm likely to temp-drop Super, it'll be during its version of the F arc. The "Gokû and Vegeta as students under Whis" portion was the only part I really really enjoyed. F was so empty of plot to me; I imagine if Toei does for that what they've been doing for reBOG, we'll have Z levels of padding going on during the battles.

If it does get bad enough during reF for me to drop it, I'll still definitely be back for Uni 6. Uni 6 is the one I'm really hungry to watch. Uni 6 is fresh material after all.

And we still don't know Champa's attendant's name.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:20 pm

I haven't watched it yet. I've been waiting for either a more legal means to watch it or just waiting for the dub. Either way though, what I've been hearing and reading is kinda just killing my desire to watch the show. I think the hype of "OMG A NEW DRAGON BALL SERIES!" slamming into the mood kill of "This is gonna start as a retelling of BoG and RoF which could take a while." really just shot most of the energy I had for this series right in the foot.

This coupled with some of the other issues (That are some times blown out of proportion!) just kinda makes me wanna...skip Super. Which I can't tell you how much it breaks my heart to type those words let alone think it.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Absolute Ice
Beyond Newbie

Post by Absolute Ice » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:20 pm

Chuquita wrote:And we still don't know Champa's attendant's name.
It is officially "????".
ジャネンバ ミラ

For a reality whose Janemba and Mira join the canon world and receive a proper personality.
The Greatest Villains Ever!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:24 pm

kei17 wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:By the way, since you're japanese how is being the fans reaction over there?! Doubt much people are happy for having retellings too.
A lot of casual fans on Twitter still seem to be enjoying it, but there's quite a few harsh criticisms by hardcore fans, too. The DB Super thread on 2ch is full of complaints.
If I may ask another question, how is japanese fans reaction to Kaio voice actor bad perfomance? They accept his dedication?! Or bash it and think its time to get a new voice actor?!
Thanks for the answer.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:35 pm

I think the biggest issue with Super for me is that we got new animated Dragon Ball stuff before Super. We had the 2008 Jump Special, Kai, the 2010 remake of Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, Episode of Bardock, Battle of the Gods and Revival of F. After Battle of Gods, we know that another TV series would happen sooner or later. I like Super so far, but I do feel like Super would be more special if we didn't get anything new from 2008 - early 2015. If we went another 7 years with no new animated stuff and Toei announces Super then I feel like more people would have like it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:45 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:If I may ask another question, how is japanese fans reaction to Kaio voice actor bad perfomance? They accept his dedication?! Or bash it and think its time to get a new voice actor?!
Thanks for the answer.
No one is bashing Yanami himself for his performance because they all know it's due to his age. A lot of people claim that they should have recast the role and criticize the audio director, though.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:55 pm

It's nice to have you back, Kei!

Me... I'm still trudging through but I can't blame you for giving up.Image
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:08 pm

Of course, on the whole, I know Super's not a very well put-together series. Its poor animation, bad music, new sound effects, and wavering story-telling are not exactly a hallmark of quality. But despite its issues, it's something I actively look to forward to each week -- not because I care for its plot, but because I thoroughly enjoy analysing the components that make up each episode. It's pretty much the only thing I really do with Dragon Ball; poking at the narrative is a passing interest, only really brought on by new material. With that sort of thing a huge way off, I'm just having fun judging Super's take on scenes with Battle of Gods'. Though the latter is certainly better put-together, I'm finding myself surprised at the few aspects that do serve to improve on old material.

Though I would have been far more invested in the series had they begun following the latest film, I'm still glad they didn't. Rehashing existing material is not a smart way to grab viewers' attention from the get-go, but it does allow for a more cohesive story. Following Revival of 'F', I think it was desperately needed. That film hardly feels like the sequel Battle of Gods deserves; I only hope that Super makes great efforts to bridge the gap, and expand on the plethora of concepts introduced in this new material. If it doesn't? Well, this has been a total exercise in futility. I will have no excuses to make for Toei.

I'll keep watching. Whether it's good or bad, it's at least interesting to observe. Unless we ever reach the point of the Boo arc of Kai, I don't see myself actively avoiding the show. Though even that still managed to grab my curiosity towards the end of its life.

Good to see you posting again, Kei. As you know, I follow you on Twitter, so it certainly doesn't feel like you've been gone. Though it's nice to be able to read your thoughts with ease, rather than relying on my pitiful Japanese and Google Translate!
Last edited by Ajay on Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:17 pm

I'm still watching. I hadn't binged on Battle of Gods beforehand, so the story is still relatively fresh, and it feels great watching a weekly Dragon Ball series of any kind again (especially now that we're into a whimsical, multi-episode fight; episode 10 was a big step up).

The one thing that constantly takes me out of it at this point is script sloppiness. I can't fathom why Pilaf is here and why we don't know about their being turned into children yet, when all of that was done so well in the movie. Like, that is absolute nonsense. Some of the humor not comparing favorably to the movie is also a huge distraction (the Oolong janken scene comes to mind, as does the bland fight between all the weaker characters and Beerus, which was both flashy and humorous in the film).

I agree that it was probably time to recast Yanami, but I get the feeling that Japanese studios are very loyal to their veteran voice actors?
kei17 wrote:The DB Super thread on 2ch is full of complaints.
I love seeing reactions among domestic fans and would be curious to poke through that. Would you be able to provide a link?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:27 pm

I'm somewhat of a combination of Ajay and Cipher's thoughts here. For the most part though, I've become more of a manga centric fan, thus only really venture into the anime for its exclusive content when necessary, as well as a fan of Toriyama library of works, so I don't require "DEE-BEE-ZEE hardcore action". I would of course prefer aforementioned content to have good animation, fights/choreography, music and all that, but regardless of my displeasure with how some some of the aspects of the series are being handled, I'm along for the ride. I'm not going to come close to raging the way some people did after Episode 5 or drop the series.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)