Why is there no Super simulcast on Funimation's site?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 906
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Re: Why is there no Super simulcast on Funimation's site?

Post by successoroffate » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:23 pm

irreality wrote:
successoroffate wrote: I'm not sure where I said that they were offered a simulcast and denied it or are you asking me What if they did have an offer?

My point is the lack of interest. Take Fukkatsu for example. Other countries, specially from Latinamerica had the movie in theaters for way more than a month and a half. It wasn't a special limited event just like they did for the States and Italy (The run in italy was also from August 4th to 11th for some reason). As for Super, I am confident the Latinamerican dub is going to come out way before Funi's.
Your answer to the question "Why is there no Super simulcast on Funi's site?" was "lack of interest on the part of Funi". How can that be the sole or main reason when *no* licensor is able to get a dub, simulcast, or sub out right now, even if they are, as you say, highly interested the way Latin America or Taiwan for example might be?

Even if Funi was 100% excited or 0% excited for Super, the end result would be the same: no simulcast. Because it is likely not up to Funi at all. Thus I objected to your answer because it is based on spurious reasoning.
Wait wait. It's all speculation. We don't know if Toei is allowing Simulcast or not. If TOEI is denying any kind of reproduction then my argument has no support. However, there is no proof to make the statement that Funi tried and wasn't allowed. But even if they were, it's all about negotiating. My answer is biased. Has always been like that cause I personally do not take kindly how Funi handled DB in the US. Plain and simple, I hate Funimation.

And to be honest, it is impossible for me to digest that a company so big that has the rights of DB in the US, was beaten in making a dub within a reasonable amount of time. There is just no way for a Small Latinamerican dubbing company with low resources to beat Funimation at dubbing Fukkatsu for example. And, furthermore, having enough money to allow the movie to be in every latinamerican country except for Brazil for more than 2 months. It's unthinkable.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

User avatar
irreality
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Why is there no Super simulcast on Funimation's site?

Post by irreality » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:18 pm

You are free to speculate that Funi doesn't care all you wish -- on this matter or any other.

But to say that the "short answer" is that Funi doesn't care ignores all possible facts -- that is what bothered me. Funimation is not the only player in the drama, and their level of caring is not the only factor, or even the primary one. "Caring" might decide the quality level of the final product they produce, but it isn't caring that brokers business decisions or licensing agreements, in general.

User avatar
successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 906
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Re: Why is there no Super simulcast on Funimation's site?

Post by successoroffate » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:01 pm

irreality wrote:You are free to speculate that Funi doesn't care all you wish -- on this matter or any other.

But to say that the "short answer" is that Funi doesn't care ignores all possible facts -- that is what bothered me. Funimation is not the only player in the drama, and their level of caring is not the only factor, or even the primary one. "Caring" might decide the quality level of the final product they produce, but it isn't caring that brokers business decisions or licensing agreements, in general.
If caring is not enough to broker business decisions then it's all about the money, Am I right? If that's the case, if it's not profitable (possible or not depending on TOEI) then it's not going to happen. Which is also a direct hit to the US audience by saying implicitly " the fan base is not going to back us up if we do this."

Just out of curiosity, do you like or enjoy Funi's version of the DB universe (including dubs and BGMs)?
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

User avatar
irreality
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Why is there no Super simulcast on Funimation's site?

Post by irreality » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:37 pm

successoroffate wrote:
If caring is not enough to broker business decisions then it's all about the money, Am I right? If that's the case, if it's not profitable (possible or not depending on TOEI) then it's not going to happen. Which is also a direct hit to the US audience by saying implicitly " the fan base is not going to back us up if we do this."

Just out of curiosity, do you like or enjoy Funi's version of the DB universe (including dubs and BGMs)?
The only thing I've ever watched from DBZ in Funi's dub was Resurrection F, once. It was alright, had no real complaints, voices were fine. The snippets I've watched from the rest of the series of Funi's dub have been unwatchable to me -- mostly watched them as they were relevant to some discussion or another. Have never made it through a whole episode.

I've only ever watched DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBKai subbed or in the Latinamerican Dub.

ETA: Money is one factor, as are conflicting interests of the various rights holders -- which is the other important issue. There is more than one party to the discussion, and Funi is not the only one making decisions.

User avatar
successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 906
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Re: Why is there no Super simulcast on Funimation's site?

Post by successoroffate » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:35 pm

irreality wrote:
successoroffate wrote:
If caring is not enough to broker business decisions then it's all about the money, Am I right? If that's the case, if it's not profitable (possible or not depending on TOEI) then it's not going to happen. Which is also a direct hit to the US audience by saying implicitly " the fan base is not going to back us up if we do this."

Just out of curiosity, do you like or enjoy Funi's version of the DB universe (including dubs and BGMs)?
The only thing I've ever watched from DBZ in Funi's dub was Resurrection F, once. It was alright, had no real complaints, voices were fine. The snippets I've watched from the rest of the series of Funi's dub have been unwatchable to me -- mostly watched them as they were relevant to some discussion or another. Have never made it through a whole episode.

I've only ever watched DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBKai subbed or in the Latinamerican Dub.

ETA: Money is one factor, as are conflicting interests of the various rights holders -- which is the other important issue. There is more than one party to the discussion, and Funi is not the only one making decisions.
I also come from the Latinamerican dub and subs. So you know how it feels to watch anything made out from Funimation except from Fukkatsu which I haven't seen in English yet. They butchered DB.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Post Reply