FUNI Super dub - What are your wishes?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: FUNI Super dub - What are your wishes?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:16 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Kaboom wrote:FUNi still (mistakenly) chooses to include the old replacement score on their newer releases of DBZ
I get what it is you're trying to say, but this one part I'd kind of have to disagree with. They own the rights to the score, and it's the way a lot of people remember the show, so I don't really see why they shouldn't keep it on there. It's easy enough to do, so why not?

I'm in full agreement that we don't need a return to replacement scores, mind you, though.
That's a fair point but the fact it's the default score is bad.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:50 am

A musical score can't be objectively bad. One person's or even several people's opinions shouldn't be reason to change it. Kai has been doing fine despite the lack of a replacement score. Most anime have been doing fine without replacement scores. The primary reason is that most kids watching TV don't care about music at all. Some might notice a little, but ultimately it is the series itself and its action and storyline that make it sell well. The whole reason why replacement scores are pointless in the first place. Now, I don't think pretending the Z and GT ones never existed would be the right way to go, it's good that they are accessible to the fans who want them. But the very idea of messing with music is just outdated and isn't happening.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:51 am

Valerius Dover wrote:A musical score can't be objectively bad. One person's or even several people's opinions shouldn't be reason to change it. Kai has been doing fine despite the lack of a replacement score. Most anime have been doing fine without replacement scores. The primary reason is that most kids watching TV don't care about music at all. Some might notice a little, but ultimately it is the series itself and its action and storyline that make it sell well. The whole reason why replacement scores are pointless in the first place. Now, I don't think pretending the Z and GT ones never existed would be the right way to go, it's good that they are accessible to the fans who want them. But the very idea of messing with music is just outdated and isn't happening.
I didn't mean that the music was bad I meant that it was bad that it was the default score.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:41 am

This seams to be getting off topic. Some wish there to be a DUB ost added, some don't. Some find it bad to add a score, some think its bad not to. The thread is about your wishes, some wish for it, some don't. Nothing left to say accept, it's bad, no it's not, yes it is.

I think it's disrespectful to the fans to only give one BGM track that a large portion will not like, and it's bad for business because it loses a LOT of people.

Others think it's disrespectful to have it in there, and insults Toei's artisitic integrity (to which I say...ummm Goku gets a male voice, and they LET funi do that....but if you still don't like it, congrats because they'll probably never add one again. and if they do all you have to do is not listen to it.)

Nobody seams to agree and some are just ignoring points brought up . Both think what the other think is disrespectfull is actually...respective surprisingly. :lol:
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:17 am

soppa saia people wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Kaboom wrote:FUNi still (mistakenly) chooses to include the old replacement score on their newer releases of DBZ
I get what it is you're trying to say, but this one part I'd kind of have to disagree with. They own the rights to the score, and it's the way a lot of people remember the show, so I don't really see why they shouldn't keep it on there. It's easy enough to do, so why not?

I'm in full agreement that we don't need a return to replacement scores, mind you, though.
That's a fair point but the fact it's the default score is bad.
As far as I know, the default audio option on every release beginning with the season sets has been English audio with the Japanese soundtrack. You have to manually change the score option in the audio menu before loading an episode to have the replacement music.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:39 am

I don't really have a problem with sumitomos score except for the few scenes, I think for for the most part he did a pretty good job especially during the rof arc I'll take sumitomos score for funi dub if they edit the gotenks theme when goku arrives on earth for the 1st time while beerus is about to destroy earth, it didn't go with the scene at all, even if sumitomos score is replaced for funi dubs I'm Ok with it as long as they have the original score and a replacement score for the dvd/blu-ray even if that happens I'm sure Bruce Faulkner is not coming back I hope funi hire someone new but I highly doubt there will be any replacements because replacing BGM is a thing of the past none of the new animes have have done that...
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:45 am

Gonstead wrote: As far as I know, the default audio option on every release beginning with the season sets has been English audio with the Japanese soundtrack. You have to manually change the score option in the audio menu before loading an episode to have the replacement music.
Really ? I could if swore it was different.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:37 am

In terms of replacement scores and pining to have Faulconer's score back in Super, to hell with it. His "score" is a byproduct of the late 90's-early 2000's as well as a byproduct of a practice that has long since been abandoned by Funimation and with good reason. Its insulting. The show already has a score before it ever comes here to the states to be dubbed and that is the ONLY score that should be included in the show. As a dubbing company, Funimation's sole job is to take the show, translate it as best they can from Japanese to English, and then perform the dub. They have no right nor reason to go so far as to alter a show's score nor have they since way back then.

By begging for a replacement score you are basically saying "Hey you know that one composer who did this music in Japan? Yeah screw that guy's work and time he put into this." You are NEVER going to get Faulconer's score back in any form of DBZ aside from re-releases of the original Funi dub from years ago. Funimation has gone to great lengths so as to use his score as less as they possibly can, even removing their scores from the movies that aired on Adult Swim's Toonami block and only having the Japanese score for it which is what they should have been doing from the start when they got the show instead of bastardizing it like they did in the 90's.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:26 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:In terms of replacement scores and pining to have Faulconer's score back in Super, to hell with it. His "score" is a byproduct of the late 90's-early 2000's as well as a byproduct of a practice that has long since been abandoned by Funimation and with good reason. Its insulting. The show already has a score before it ever comes here to the states to be dubbed and that is the ONLY score that should be included in the show. As a dubbing company, Funimation's sole job is to take the show, translate it as best they can from Japanese to English, and then perform the dub. They have no right nor reason to go so far as to alter a show's score nor have they since way back then.

By begging for a replacement score you are basically saying "Hey you know that one composer who did this music in Japan? Yeah screw that guy's work and time he put into this." You are NEVER going to get Faulconer's score back in any form of DBZ aside from re-releases of the original Funi dub from years ago. Funimation has gone to great lengths so as to use his score as less as they possibly can, even removing their scores from the movies that aired on Adult Swim's Toonami block and only having the Japanese score for it which is what they should have been doing from the start when they got the show instead of bastardizing it like they did in the 90's.
How would you feel if, hypothetically, Funi did replace the score but used one of the other japanese scores. Like Kikuchi's?

Just curious?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:42 pm

jcogginsa wrote:How would you feel if, hypothetically, Funi did replace the score but used one of the other japanese scores. Like Kikuchi's?

Just curious?
I'd probably enjoy it, but I wouldn't ever support it from a moral standpoint. That's pretty much the point being made here about replacement scores. Enjoy them all you want, but don't advocate for the practice in any serious capacity.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:44 pm

jcogginsa wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:In terms of replacement scores and pining to have Faulconer's score back in Super, to hell with it. His "score" is a byproduct of the late 90's-early 2000's as well as a byproduct of a practice that has long since been abandoned by Funimation and with good reason. Its insulting. The show already has a score before it ever comes here to the states to be dubbed and that is the ONLY score that should be included in the show. As a dubbing company, Funimation's sole job is to take the show, translate it as best they can from Japanese to English, and then perform the dub. They have no right nor reason to go so far as to alter a show's score nor have they since way back then.

How would you feel if, hypothetically, Funi did replace the score but used one of the other japanese scores. Like Kikuchi's?

Just curious?
Pretty much what Ajay said below. Granted I dont mind Sumitomo's score aside from some bad placements in Buu Kai but as a whole I find it enjoyable.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:06 pm

jcogginsa wrote:How would you feel if, hypothetically, Funi did replace the score but used one of the other Japanese scores. Like Kikuchi's? Just curious?
I'd only be okay with it if they did it in cooperation with Toei as some sort of special project. It isn't and shouldn't be FUNi's own prerogative.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:19 pm

Faulconer's score feels outdated. His music should stay in the 90's since his music feels like it was made for it's time. You can say Kikuchi's score is out of date and belongs in the 80's too, but his music feels so natural to me. While Faulconer's score is trying to make the show too American and hardcore. Fans should move on already since Faulconer's music has not been relevant since 2003 when DBZ ended. I feel like fans in the US have grown attach to the Japanese music and Funimation seems to like it too. I remember the Orange Bricks having the Japanese music was a big deal since there always demand to watch DBZ in Japanese with its original music.

Also saying DBZ would not be popular with Faulconer's music is wrong. The DBZ with Ocean Voice was still a very popular show and DBZ would still do well without his music.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:22 pm

Speaking as someone who's never heard the sumitomo score and barely remembers Falconer, I wouldn't mind having his score as a DVD Extra. For broadcast and Default, stick to sumitomo

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:19 pm

The replacement music discussion going on here reminds me of the nonsense 4Kids peddled when it released the first Pokemon movie:

[Source: Dogasu's Backpack]

My eyes roll every time I read that quote. American kids weren't going to run out of theaters or throw their TVs out of windows just because they heard orchestrated Japanese music in their cartoons.

A generation of Americans fell in love with Dragon Ball Z because of its action, first and foremost. Music played only an auxiliary role in the series's western success -- at best.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

BoosterZabi

Post by BoosterZabi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:14 pm

Bring back the Colleen Clinkenbeard who played Android 18 in Dragonball Kai. Meredith McCoy improved over the years, but she's too monotone for the voice.

I wish we could see the return of Brice Armstrong but unfortunately he's retired from voice acting.
Kaboom wrote: FUNi still (mistakenly) chooses to include the old replacement score on their newer releases of DBZ.
Maybe I'm out of the loop but what newer releases? You mean of the original DBZ dub?

Never could stand Bruce Falconer dub, but I did like some portions of the soundtrack used in the Freeza saga. Everything after was nauseating and X-TREEEEME.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:47 pm

The only thing that I want is for Funimation to stop using the dub names for attacks(Destructo Disc, Special Beam Cannon, etc.). Also, stop calling Tenshinhan "T-i-en" and Kaio-sama "King Kai."
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:06 pm

Kaboom wrote:Preference has nothing to do with it. It's about having an iota of artistic integrity.

Kikuchi's score belongs in Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z because that's what its creators put there.
Tokunaga's score belongs in Dragon Ball GT because that's what its creators put there.
Yamamoto's score, then Kikuchi's score, and then Sumitomo's score are what belong in Kai because that's what its creators put there.
Sumitomo's score is what belongs in Dragon Ball Super because that's what its creators put there.

It's 2016, not 1996. Replacement scores are a thing of the past for dubs, at least for good ones.
I agree in general that music should never be replaced, but I think that is the case because I want the show to be historically preserved as it aired. Even if the creator changes his mind, I still don't think he has a moral right to change the show. Are you saying the Kikuchi score belongs in Kai, not just as a necessity because it's impossible to release the show anymore with its original score, but out of artistic reasons, for every episode, and not just the last few(?) that aired with it?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:15 pm

BoosterZabi wrote:Maybe I'm out of the loop but what newer releases? You mean of the original DBZ dub?
Yeah, I mean every release of DBZ in recent years. Starting with the orange bricks, which introduced the original score into the dub, the replacement scores should have been abandoned at the same time.
Pokewhiz7 wrote:Are you saying the Kikuchi score belongs in Kai, not just as a necessity because it's impossible to release the show anymore with its original score, but out of artistic reasons, for every episode, and not just the last few(?) that aired with it?
Kikuchi's score being put in Kai is perfectly fine because 1) it's Toei's prerogative as the show's creators to replace the music if they deem it necessary, and 2) Yamamoto's plagiarism shenanigans probably did make it necessary. I really want to stress the "as the show's creators" part. It's their creation, so it's cool if they decide to do that stuff for some good reason. FUNi's job is only to dub it, so it wasn't and still wouldn't be cool or okay for them to do things like swap out the music in the process.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:25 pm

Kaboom wrote:
BoosterZabi wrote:Maybe I'm out of the loop but what newer releases? You mean of the original DBZ dub?
Yeah, I mean every release of DBZ in recent years. Starting with the orange bricks, which introduced the original score into the dub, the replacement scores should have been abandoned at the same time.
Pokewhiz7 wrote:Are you saying the Kikuchi score belongs in Kai, not just as a necessity because it's impossible to release the show anymore with its original score, but out of artistic reasons, for every episode, and not just the last few(?) that aired with it?
Kikuchi's score being put in Kai is perfectly fine because 1) it's Toei's prerogative as the show's creators to replace the music if they deem it necessary, and 2) Yamamoto's plagiarism shenanigans probably did make it necessary. I really want to stress the "as the show's creators" part. It's their creation, so it's cool if they decide to do that stuff for some good reason. FUNi's job is only to dub it, so it wasn't and still wouldn't be cool or okay for them to do things like swap out the music in the process.
Eh, the people at Toei probably don't care. They're the guys that signed off on everything the 4Kids dub of one piece did. What matters to them is making money. So to them, including the Falconer tracks on the DVD is a good thing, because having that option expands their pool of buyers and nets Toei more money.