FUNI Super dub - What are your wishes?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: FUNI Super dub - What are your wishes?

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:14 pm

I want Funimation to stay away from Super while they still have their reputation intact... :lolno:
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:36 pm

Sorry I think you mistyped what you meant to say is they should have stayed away from GT.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:40 pm

For it to come out this year that would be my biggest wish for the Super Dub.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:01 am

I want Linda Young as Frost. And no, I am not being sarcastic.
Sonicjamareiz wrote:I want Funimation to stay away from Super while they still have their reputation intact... :lolno:
Their reputation is that they have done a good to great job of everything Dragonball related for the last 6 years. In fact their dubs in general are usually praised for their quality.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:35 am

I am going to be honest. I really enjoyed the cast in resurrection f+ the minor script changes. I would really enjoy to work like that with super, same cast, same style. Don't try to make it 100% accurate to the Japanese dub.
Funimation's Goku is pretty much a cool guy Goku and I wouldn't want to see him start acting like "mister dummy that sometimes goes back to his z self" from the Japanese super. Pretty much I am saying that Funi needs to do heavy script re-writing and focus on keeping the same characters from z and the latest movies (something that Japan is unable to do because for some reason they think that kids enjoy morons like main heroes instead of cool badasses) and before someone say "but Goku is uneducated that's why he reacts like that" he was uneducated in Buu saga too and I never felt that he was an idiot. Toyotaro in the manga is basically drawing the same Goku as z

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:10 pm

My wish? To voice Piccolo in the English dub of Super of course. I have a deep voice that resembles Sabat's, and since he voices a plethora of other characters I wouldn't feel bad.

As far fetched as what I said is, you did say "wish" OP.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:10 pm

Rockman X wrote:Change the Freeza Voice.. just anyone but chris!
I haven't heard Chris Ayres voice Frieza but I still don't want to replace Linda Young. I know having Young as Frieza sounds weird but I've come to think that Frieza either sounds like an old lady or like whoever does his voice in TFS' DBZ Abridged.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:50 pm

floofychan333 wrote:
Rockman X wrote:Change the Freeza Voice.. just anyone but chris!
I haven't heard Chris Ayres voice Frieza but I still don't want to replace Linda Young. I know having Young as Frieza sounds weird but I've come to think that Frieza either sounds like an old lady or like whoever does his voice in TFS' DBZ Abridged.
Well, you're in luck. I'd say Chris Ayres sounds a whole lot like LittleKuriboh, aka TFS Freeza. Both performances are based on Ryusei Nakao's.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:52 pm

For them to improve Goku's personality, likely by adjusting the dialogue. It could still easily line up with the Japanese version, just make him a little more mature.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:51 am

ringworm128 wrote:I want Linda Young as Frost. And no, I am not being sarcastic.
Sonicjamareiz wrote:I want Funimation to stay away from Super while they still have their reputation intact... :lolno:
Their reputation is that they have done a good to great job of everything Dragonball related for the last 6 years. In fact their dubs in general are usually praised for their quality.
Love Funimation and all, but their unprofessinolasism when it came to the prison school dub controversy from episode 7 - not just the line itself, which was a completely unnecessary jab at a group they didn't agree with when translating the line would have really been easy ("Hey, I'm an upperclassman show me some respect"), but how the script writers reacted to the fan backlash with really low-blow mocking and insults, with whatever "ism" they pleased only for them to get a slap on the wrist made me REALLY shake my faith in the company.

As of Now Even when I watch the One Piece Dub, or the Assasination Classroom Dub I just see those little script changes that irk me. When Mihawk cuts at Luffy in the newest OP release, one of the soldiers are looking at the carnage offscreen says "Swords shouldnt do that. Can we please call that thing anything other than a sword!?" which-while funny really makes 0 sense, when you stop and think about it. This, as opposed to something like "HOLY CRAP, HE JUST CUT THE ICE IN HALF? WHAT KIND OF MONSTER IS HE?"

Things like this irk me now (yes, I'm that guy who doesnt like the Yu Yu Hakusho dub for all of it's really cheesy, and snappy one-liners), and I notice it now more than ever. Seems like they wont make that mistake again. and If they do (Childish mocking as well) I will simply stop buying their products.

As for Dragon Ball Z, however I completely trust them to not fuck it up, as long as they avoid nonsense like that whole debacle. Fortunately with DBZ they've completely kept on point with the script. Since they got their second chance.

If funimation does it, I wish them good luck. And i wanna voice Champa :)
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:43 am

I want Kaggy to be a VA in the dub.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:16 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:Sorry I think you mistyped what you meant to say is they should have stayed away from GT.
GT wasn't even bad though.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:54 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:GT wasn't even bad though.
Going off-topic here:
My main problems stemmed from the confusing scenarios that leave you scratching your head wondering how they figured that out, along with the scenarios that don't make a lick of sense.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:41 pm

I would love to see Andrew Love voice a Dragon Ball character. He mostly does ADV/Sentai Filmworks voice work, but he has work with Funimation before.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MaxZ » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:55 am

bring back the original funimation Bulma and 18. they brought back the old 18 in the movies so I hope she's back in Super too.

also hoping Zeno isn't translated as "omniking", not a fan of that name. hoping for something like "Lord Zeno, the King of Everything"

oh also, I want Sabat to go back to his original performance as Piccolo more. I preferred the gravelier voice, it was more distinctive from Vegeta's voice.
Last edited by MaxZ on Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:03 am

I was just thinking about that, where did that term come from even?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MaxZ » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:49 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I was just thinking about that, where did that term come from even?
I believe it's pretty much a literal translation of what 'Zeno' means.

but the way he is referred to as 'Zeno Sama' implies to me Zeno = a name, and not a word to be translated. it's comparable to some of the name puns, it'd be kinda like if Vegeta was 'Vegetable' in the dub.

but take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, I don't speak Japanese

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:50 am

Zeno is definitely "allowed" to be translated. Kaio, Kaioshin, and Daishinkan are also titles that mean something in translated languages. It's a choice for them to leave them as is or adapt them for the audience. In the case of FUNimation, they may very well stay consistent with never translating their titles. Comparatively, Viz will likely translate it to be consistent with the localization choices they already have in place. For them, I assume it will be, "Lord of Everything".

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:58 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:And speaking on the cast, I'm also curious what they'll do for a narrator. If FUNi is still operating under the belief that each series needs to have it's own narrator (has this ever been cited anywhere by the way, or is it just a seemingly accurate assumption?), then I dunno who they'll get.
Hmmm....you know, I never thought about it that way until you pointed it out, but yes, I guess they do have a narrator assigned to every new series. FUNimation even said that they treat DBZ and Kai as two different properties with their own creative teams, and since they considered BoG to be a DBZ movie, they brought in Kyle Hebert as the narrator.

So yeah, I don't know who they'll get as the narrator. I will say this, though--if they wanted to capture the DBZ crowd and go with Kyle Hebert, I'd...potentially...be OK with that. I didn't like the "Dale Kelly style" of narration that they asked Hebert to imitate when he took over, but I've heard Hebert in other stuff where he has done narration, and he sounded significantly better when he didn't have to worry about imitating Dale Kelly. Heck, even in BoG, his brief narration didn't have quite as strong a "Dale Kelly vibe" (for lack of a better term). So, I'm curious to see what they'll do with the narrator, but based on what I've heard Hebert do elsewhere, I think he could potentially do the job justice if he wasn't instructed to put on as much of a Dale Kelly impression as he was in the past.
I'd agree with this.

Although I think its unlikely Herbert will return I would be interested to see what he could do if he drops the "edgy" narrative style used for Z. If BoG is anything to go by he might even do better if he's not imitating Kelly.

Heck, Sabat's Vegeta and Piccolo improved significantly when he stopped trying to imitate Drummond and McNeil.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:55 pm

I hope Black's voice doesn't sound like SSj3 or SSj4 if Schemmel voices him, I hope it sounds more sly-ish.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ