Should DBS show two episodes a week?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

Should DBS show two episodes a week?

Post by Xeztin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:09 am

Basically as the title says, should Dragon Ball Super, or any anime for that matter show 2 new episodes a week making it a hour in total?

I know there are a lot of "cartoons" on cartoon network that done it and I think they still do.
I think Pokemon and Yugioh GX done it from time to time on CN as well.

What are your guy's thoughts on this?

precita
Banned

Re: Should DBS show two episodes a week?

Post by precita » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:14 am

They don't have the animators or money to produce 2 episodes a week.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:31 am

No studio could pull off 8 episodes per month. There is an extreme lack of resources for a weekly episode, let alone two.

And it's not only impossible for Japanese standards. Do you see any American cartoon airing 100 episodes a year? CN can air two episodes of Pokemon and other animes because those are old ones, they're not being made now.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:37 am

Araki wrote:Do you see any American cartoon airing 100 episodes a year?
This regularly happened in the 80s. Syndicated cartoons aired new episodes five days a week.

Of course, they looked terrible and the economy was flush with money, but eh.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:02 am

The animation in Super's already lackluster enough with just one episode per week. Imagine 2 per weak.... :shock:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:15 am

There's always Strong 9 with One Piece.

Financially speaking, Toei or Fuji TV do not have enough resources to air two DBS episodes but allocated to other projects. The U.S. broadcast version of Dragon Ball Z Kai did air two episodes at one point. Its pretty viable that the anime industry is likely 70% mainstream today as it was the North American cartoons of the 80s, 90s, and 2000s such as Thundercats, G.I. Joe, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Barney and Friends, Caillou, SpongeBob SquarePants, The Proud Family, Atomic Betty, Hey Arnold!, Rugrats, Kim Possible, Phienas and Ferb, the list goes on and on.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:40 am

Not a chance for the reasons already stated.

As of now the only thing two episodes a week would be good for is getting the 'Resurrection F' arc over with so people will stop complaining about the lack of new story content, but it wouldn't be worth the decline in animation quality.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:28 am

If they made it two episodes a week they would stretch out one episodes worth of content into two. Their main goal isn't to progress through the story at a good pace. They're just trying to milk this franchise for as long as they can.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:31 am

I'd rather they spent their money making quality over quantity.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:15 pm

I'm not in a hurry. I know I will lose interest in DB again once Super is over. I prefer everything happen at a leisurely pace.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:19 pm

I don't see it happening. The show airs on Sundays and kids would probably be busy with school after Sundays.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:07 pm

Things don't work like that in japan.
When it comes to worldwide market, its different. Because the company already has a stock of episodes produced and just needs to dub them.

Sometimes toei can barely finish episodes at time. 2 episodes in week would be a nightmare.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Blackstripe
Regular

Post by Blackstripe » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:10 pm

We'd have two episodes a week that made episode 5 of DBS look like Princess Mononoke. If you liked manga, you would be in luck cause there would be just about as many panels that show, except horribly drawn.

Gokuu would just be this orange man-shaped blob with gold color on top and his left eye would be somewhere on his chin.

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:43 pm

Blackstripe wrote:We'd have two episodes a week that made episode 5 of DBS look like Princess Mononoke. If you liked manga, you would be in luck cause there would be just about as many panels that show, except horribly drawn.

Gokuu would just be this orange man-shaped blob with gold color on top and his left eye would be somewhere on his chin.
Think it might be time to change my sig. :lol:

But yeah, I can't even imagine the vomit inducing animation that would come from Super having 2 episodes a week. They barely even finished episode five before sending it out. it probably end up like a bunch of stills in those "Vomics" that Shueisha puts out.
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:10 pm

Toei Animation doesn't even have enough animators available to animate one episode, let alone two. They're producing many weekly series at once: Dragon Ball Super, One Piece, PreCure, Kindaichi, and World Trigger. Soon they'll bring back Sailor Moon Crystal, too. They also have a One Piece film in production right now with other films likely to enter production, too. Toei Animation also produces commercials, cut scenes for video games, television specials and the monthly Robot Girls Z+.

In 2014 171 weekly animated series were created and aired. In 2015 there are at least 156 animated series being produced. There are no animators available to suddenly start doubling the length of episodes aired, especially not for a TV series that doesn't bring in one-of-a-kind ratings.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:36 pm

Never gonna happen. Toei couldn't even get their shit together for Sailor Moon Crystal, and that aired once every two weeks.

Vidmusc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vidmusc » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:22 am

Xeztin wrote:I think Pokemon and Yugioh GX done it from time to time on CN as well.
To be fair, that was also a case where they weren't animating the show every week. Very different situation from Super.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:56 pm

JulieYBM wrote: In 2014 171 weekly animated series were created and aired. In 2015 there are at least 156 animated series being produced. There are no animators available to suddenly start doubling the length of episodes aired, especially not for a TV series that doesn't bring in one-of-a-kind ratings.
Why do they even animate that many different anime shows each year? I mean who actually watches all that stuff? 156 different anime shows comes out in a single year and that's considered, "little?"

I would consider 50 different anime a year to be "a lot," but 150+ is mind boggling.

garfield15
Beyond Newbie

Post by garfield15 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:08 pm

That is literally not how the Japanese industry works
precita wrote: Why do they even animate that many different anime shows each year? I mean who actually watches all that stuff? 156 different anime shows comes out in a single year and that's considered, "little?"
Lots of different shows in lots of different genres for lots of different people of lots of different ages

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:36 am

Exactly the opposite; We'd prefer to see two episoder per month, like Sailor Moon Crystal, for the sake of good animation.