Is it weird that Mr. Satan is the best part of Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6307
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Is it weird that Mr. Satan is the best part of Super?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:14 pm

Well... I think do...

His moments are honestly hella entertainment and unlike other comic relief softballs (Muten Roshi and Chi-Chi, for example) TOEI don't blow the comedy around him outta proportion just for a cheap laugh... probably cuz he's already comic relief.

What you say...?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31207&p=969551#p969545

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15035
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Is it weird that Mr. Satan is the best part of Super?

Post by Chuquita » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:41 pm

Between the three of them, I'd pick Mr. Satan's comedic relief easily. It's more versatile in the way I can totally see why Toriyama entertained the idea of doing a spin off staring him and Buu. Kamesennin's shtick is stale without his wise old teacher side to balance him. They're not handling Chi-Chi well at all either. The end of yesterday's episode broke my heart instead of making me laugh. No one should be so afraid of a family member that they hide outside having to miss dinner.

In terms of the best part of Super for me though, I think I won't really know until we get through more of this filler. Right now it's a tie for me between awkward Vegeta stuff, Gokû being cute, and Whis being Whis. Bee the dog is an honorable mention after he used those binoculars.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

User avatar
SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here
Posts: 3194
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:33 am
Location: Canada

Re: Is it weird that Mr. Satan is the best part of Super?

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:50 pm

I'd say Whis is the best part of Super, but I understand why you say Satan is. It's never a dull moment with him, Yesterdays episode proves that much.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta


I'm that guy who makes the avatars

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Is it weird that Mr. Satan is the best part of Super?

Post by precita » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:56 pm

I wonder if Master Roshi's perverted humor is just not suitable for today's audiences. Super seems more aimed at kids than the original series.

User avatar
Scarlet Spider
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:07 am
Contact:

Re: Is it weird that Mr. Satan is the best part of Super?

Post by Scarlet Spider » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:01 pm

I find Satan annoying. Liked him when he was befriending Buu and whatnot, but that's it. I love Whis though.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20452
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Is it weird that Mr. Satan is the best part of Super?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:06 pm

Mr Satan's shenanigans is certainly the best source of comic relief Super has to offer so far.

Until Jaco arrives. :wink:

User avatar
fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5137
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 pm
Location: New York

Re: Is it weird that Mr. Satan is the best part of Super?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:07 pm

Considering I pretty much just wrote in the episode 15 thread how I'm sick of his antics... can't really agree. =P

But then, I generally don't quite dig Super's comedy. Except Whis moments. Any moment with Whis automatically becomes better.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

User avatar
Xeztin
I Live Here
Posts: 2233
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:15 pm
Location: Toyotarō's Place

Re: Is it weird that Mr. Satan is the best part of Super?

Post by Xeztin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:30 pm

I enjoyed Super episode 15, I literally laughed at Mr. Satan, and was curious as to how he was going to get himself out of this mess.
There's a time in DB when a episode need's to be serious or funny, and after the BOG arc, I thought it was the perfect time.
In My opinion episode 15 with Satan nailed it.

Edit- Now that I think about it, It may have been funny to those watching but I'm sure to Mr. Satan it was worse then Beerus. :D
I think Dragon Ball is funny when the scenes aren't trying to actually be funny, as to me most of the time it comes off as trying to hard.
Mr. Satan wasn't trying to be funny, it was just the mess that he was in, which is what made it good I think.

Battousai
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:10 pm

Re: Is it weird that Mr. Satan is the best part of Super?

Post by Battousai » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:33 pm

Not really, altough I don't hate Satan as character, I feel he just has too much screen time. Some support characters need more screentime, like Chaozu, 18, Yamcha...

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: Is it weird that Mr. Satan is the best part of Super?

Post by rereboy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:39 pm

Chuquita wrote: The end of yesterday's episode broke my heart instead of making me laugh. No one should be so afraid of a family member that they hide outside having to miss dinner.
Honestly, that just means that you took it way too seriously, applying real world standards and logic. To give a relevant example, no one actually thinks that hitting people with an hammer on the head is funny in the real world, but such an action, or something similar to it, is actually funny in a comedy, cartoon and so on precisely because we don't take it seriously. The moment that we take something like that seriously, the humor can't survive.

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15035
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Is it weird that Mr. Satan is the best part of Super?

Post by Chuquita » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:51 pm

That's your opinion. That last scene really bothered me. It's the failure of the scenario writer if they intend to get across a humorous scene that comes out looking depressing instead.

Maybe next episode things will be better for Gokû.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

User avatar
irreality
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Is it weird that Mr. Satan is the best part of Super?

Post by irreality » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:55 pm

rereboy wrote: Honestly, that just means that you took it way too seriously, applying real world standards and logic. To give a relevant example, no one actually thinks that hitting people with an hammer on the head is funny in the real world, but such an action, or something similar to it, is actually funny in a comedy, cartoon and so on precisely because we don't take it seriously. The moment that we take something like that seriously, the humor can't survive.
No, I agree with Chuquita on this one. Goku and Chichi I always thought at one of those couples that can hit or scream at each other and laugh it off. Goku is only "scared" of Chichi in the sense that they like each other and he knows she has his best interests at heart when she screams at him. And Chichi is only mildly annoyed at being slapped through a wall in jest, because she knows Goku isn't trying to hurt her. The scene should always end sort of carefree for the humor to work. But here he didn't seemed to be tiptoeing around and meekly being chastized -- he was just outside without any resolution. I'm not saying the scene could not have worked: it was just executed in a way that was too "real" in a sense, and broke the jest. Especially since it was due to a misunderstanding: Goku was really trying to get the tractor fixed -- a screaming resolution would have been more humorous and less sad.

The only way I can reconcile the scene is the time Goku was left without dinner at Roshi's when Krillin cheated him out of a training exercise. He was also left without dinner then. (but everyone else got food poisoning, so you know, it balanced, karmically). So if it references that scene, I feel less bad about it -- but I still think this Goku/Chichi scene was not sufficiently played for laughs to work without seeming abusive.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: Is it weird that Mr. Satan is the best part of Super?

Post by rereboy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:58 pm

Chuquita wrote:That's your opinion. That last scene really bothered me. It's the failure of the scenario writer if they intend to get across a humorous scene that comes out looking depressing instead.
It's my opinion that people watch things like clowns hitting each other with tools like hammers and people find it funny, but they don't find funny a person that uses a hammer to hit a person on the street?

There's a difference between simply not finding something funny, and not finding the humor in it because it reminds us too much of actual serious issues of the real world. That difference is simply how seriously we are taking the humor. I merely pointed that out.

User avatar
irreality
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Is it weird that Mr. Satan is the best part of Super?

Post by irreality » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:09 pm

rereboy wrote:
Chuquita wrote:That's your opinion. That last scene really bothered me. It's the failure of the scenario writer if they intend to get across a humorous scene that comes out looking depressing instead.
It's my opinion that people watch things like clowns hitting each other with tools like hammers and people find it funny, but they don't find funny a person that uses a hammer to hit a person on the street?

There's a difference between simply not finding something funny, and not finding the humor in it because it reminds us too much of actual serious issues of the real world. That difference is simply how seriously we are taking the humor. I merely pointed that out.
The thing is that it is not just a matter or "not seeing the humor": it is whether the humor was readable to the audience or whether they needed to make a leap of inference to see it. If the clowns cease to wear their makeup and hit each other with hammers, it might be hard to still read the scene as humor instead of violence, and it is not the fault of the audience. You can say, "Well, we know they are meant to be clowns!" but that doesn't negate the fact that the costume department may have failed to convey the right tone in the scene.

There are normally artistic cues to read a scene as humorous or serious. We can discuss whether DBS omitted those in this scene or not without assuming it is an error of interpretation on the part of the audience.

User avatar
Scott
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:35 am
Location: On a little blue planet in the Milky Way Galaxy.

Re: Is it weird that Mr. Satan is the best part of Super?

Post by Scott » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:20 pm

I have always found him to be a bit annoying, even in Dragon Ball Z. He's constantly loud and irritating. His moments with Buu in DBZ was probably his best parts. In Super he has been even worse, his character design is espeically bad.

User avatar
KonohaKillas
Newbie
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Is it weird that Mr. Satan is the best part of Super?

Post by KonohaKillas » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:07 pm

I love Mr.Satan because he is a perfect example of later Dragon Ball humor done right, an instant classic.

Post Reply