Will/should Dragon Ball Super evolve?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Will/should Dragon Ball Super evolve?

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:54 am

I love super but for the love of GOD can we go past the end of Z? Do you think we need something new afer our first new arc (Universe 6). Assuming we get more stuff,rather it be by Toriyama or just Toei after he quites, do you THINK we'll get more then basically filler between buu's death-end of Z? And Do you guys and girls WANT that?

I mean I wanna know what happens further in the story, it takes away any impact of what'll happen if you know years later everyone is alive and on earth with no life changes. It'd be like we all get a narrator saying "don't worry everyone is OK in the end,but watch people fight to the end and wounder if our heroes will win!"

Super is fun, but I personally feel we need to see new stuff past Uub. Like maybe Goku trains Uub to replace him on earth as the hero so he can explore/protect the multiverse and fight new people and have adventures. I don't mind slice of life episodes,by filler I mean it's just filling in the 10 years between kid buu's death and the introduction of uub. We need something other then little stories limited by a time frame that can't have any real big changes happening. feels so limited and doesn't do much for the story,yeah we got 2 new forms but it all just feels like a fan fiction at the end of the day.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Will/should Dragon Ball Super evolve?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:45 pm

Hell no. I don't want modern Toriyama or Toei to touch EoZ.

The Uni 6 arc may change my mind...
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:46 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Hell no. I don't want modern Toriyama or Toei to touch EoZ.

The Uni 6 arc may change my mind...
I agree, they'd do more harm than good, especially with how they seem to be stuck in the past.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:50 pm

Uub should be put on the same bus as Lunch. If Super continues over decades in the timeline, it should branch off from BoG/RoF/Champa.

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:38 pm

LuckyCat wrote:Uub should be put on the same bus as Lunch. If Super continues over decades in the timeline, it should branch off from BoG/RoF/Champa.
Well you know oob existed at the end of Z. Training oob to be as strong as him was more like goku's promise.
The question has been asked by you 10000000000 times and we have become very efficient.
I don't care about non canon stuffs like game, guide book, movie, etc
Spare the trouble because GT is CANON
Be quick and be done with it
inactive :P

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:50 pm

GTX wrote:Well you know oob existed at the end of Z. Training oob to be as strong as him was more like goku's promise.
Goku does train Uub. In GT. Uub becomes more powerful than a SSJ3. But that story has been told. It's time to move on if we really want this series to "evolve".

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:19 pm

It's sad to say, but I'm pretty pessimistic about the future. Time has not been kind to the long-running kids' action anime. I have serious doubts anyone in charge has given real thought to how the show will expand or grow, and it'll probably be cancelled once the Universe 6 stuff is done.

They did themselves no favors by essentially botching any chance of a simulcast. Hell, it's been delayed in certain regions of Japan.

Dragon Ball was always conceived in the moment, which allowed for developments like timeskips and aging up Goku. But that was when it was just a comic, and then the eventual animated adaptation followed suit. You can't "write for the week" with a TV show; there's too long of a leading time. It wouldn't shock me for Super proper to wind up gone, but Toyotarou's manga to march onward, if only because that's less of a money sink. And then, maybe in that cheaper format, will they take an actual risk and do an "end of the manga" story and really commit to it.

Maybe it's time to accept the iconic nature of some of these characters. Goku wears an orange gi. Vegeta wears battle armor. Gohan wears glasses. Goten and Trunks are children. Pan and Uub are afterthoughts.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:34 pm

I definitely want to see an arc taking place after DBZ. I want teenage Trunks and Goten, I want to see Pan and Uub do things.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:36 pm

I don't understand people's rush to get through all possible material and have things wrapped up as soon as possible. The show is where it is right now and has interesting stories to tell both in the action sense and the slice of life sense. Why hurry it along to another time period? We haven't even started U6 or any other universes there might be in store!

To be honest, I never wonder if our heroes will "survive" in the large scheme of things -- the main characters will keep being around in some capacity because the plot requires it. That doesn't mean our heroes will always win. Goku didn't win in BoG. In an upcoming tournament arc, the fact that Goku is alive tells me nothing as to whether they will win or survive that plot.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:48 pm

irreality wrote:I don't understand people's rush to get through all possible material and have things wrapped up as soon as possible. The show is where it is right now and has interesting stories to tell both in the action sense and the slice of life sense. Why hurry it along to another time period? We haven't even started U6 or any other universes there might be in store!
Because the end of Z had a time skip, and people don't like stories being told before that. Even if the material we're getting is all-new, it feels like we should move pass this era.

I feel like Toei doesn't want Trunks and Goten to be older, and that's why the story was placed here.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:54 pm

Because the end of Z had a time skip, and people don't like stories being told before that. Even if the material we're getting is all-new, it feels like we should move pass this era.
That is not an explanation; you are just restating that people don't like it.

EoZ is just a short epilogue designed to wrap up the manga -- the way the Harry Potter Epilogue gives us a glance at our characters 20 years later or something to wrap up the story arcs in a neat and tidy way. It is designed to feel like a "the end". But it is not the natural point of progression for more stories -- Post Buu is, because that is where the action and characterization actually left off.

Eventually stories may overtake the epilogue, but it is more important to see the transition from a to b for me.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:55 pm

I also think it's Goten and Trunks that prevent the EoZ jump.

I like child!Pan and child!Bra in EoZ, but I don't care about the Gokû teaches Uub storyline; I like Beerus and Whis as new characters so much more. Uub is like a reboot of Gohan, and I wasn't all that interested in Gohan's hidden power, I like his Great Saiyaman story so much more.

I'm happy with Super's current timeframe. I would like Bra to be born, but other than that I'm pretty satisfied where we are.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:00 pm

Honestly, this Series had a great start, but I feel it's mediocre at best right now. I definitely think Super should evolve, and I feel like it will eventually, but for now I'm getting a very "OK at best" vibe from the Series. The biggest mistake they made with it to me is that they're just rehashing the Movie's plots first before getting to any new material- honestly, who wants to watch something they've already seen verbatim again, just with different animation?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:46 pm

irreality wrote:I don't understand people's rush to get through all possible material and have things wrapped up as soon as possible. The show is where it is right now and has interesting stories to tell both in the action sense and the slice of life sense. Why hurry it along to another time period? We haven't even started U6 or any other universes there might be in store!

To be honest, I never wonder if our heroes will "survive" in the large scheme of things -- the main characters will keep being around in some capacity because the plot requires it. That doesn't mean our heroes will always win. Goku didn't win in BoG. In an upcoming tournament arc, the fact that Goku is alive tells me nothing as to whether they will win or survive that plot.
This is also my opinion. EoZ only adds a passing of the torch on the role of protector of the Earth. The way things are now, if there are stories to be told, let them happen. If there's a need to modify EoZ while going beyond the Era, I'm on board. I don't understand the need to tidy up everything.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:39 pm

If GT has teached us anything, it's that post-EoZ should remain untouched.

Besides, anything that remotely remembers GT makes the average fan go "uurghh..". Even simply seeing baby Pan is enough to turn off some people who forget she's not a filler character from GT. Bring up Uub and you have the recipe for a disaster. Like it or not, they are seen as kind of "jump the shark" characters by the mainstream fanbase.
B wrote:It's sad to say, but I'm pretty pessimistic about the future. Time has not been kind to the long-running kids' action anime. I have serious doubts anyone in charge has given real thought to how the show will expand or grow, and it'll probably be cancelled once the Universe 6 stuff is done.

They did themselves no favors by essentially botching any chance of a simulcast. Hell, it's been delayed in certain regions of Japan.
If the ratings remain as good as they are now and the sales boost projected for 2016 is that good, it definitely won't be cancelled.
And i don't know what you mean by "delayed in certain regions of Japan", as that's not accurate. That's how tv in Japan works, some regions get to air the shows later, that's up to the channel affiliates. And in the case of Dragon Ball it goes to the whole Dream 9 block: One Piece, too.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:54 pm

Araki wrote:If the ratings remain as good as they are now and the sales boost projected for 2016 is that good, it definitely won't be cancelled.
That's essentially what I am getting at. I'm not entirely convinced there is going to be a sales boost, or at least not a satisfactory one. I guess what I was trying to say is:

A) If this show runs for five or more years akin to the original series, I'll be absolutely amazed.
B) If it runs for five or more years and is good, it'll be proof of God.

I neglected to bring up movies in my first post. If they continue making movies, then Super will be a useful perpetual ad campaign. Hell, that's probably why we didn't get wind of it until three months before it premiered. Resurrection F did solid work an they threw this together.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:58 pm

B wrote:
Araki wrote:If the ratings remain as good as they are now and the sales boost projected for 2016 is that good, it definitely won't be cancelled.
That's essentially what I am getting at. I'm not entirely convinced there is going to be a sales boost, or at least not a satisfactory one. I guess what I was trying to say is:

A) If this show runs for five or more years akin to the original series, I'll be absolutely amazed.
B) If it runs for five or more years and is good, it'll be proof of God.

I neglected to bring up movies in my first post. If they continue making movies, then Super will be a useful perpetual ad campaign. Hell, that's probably why we didn't get wind of it until three months before it premiered. Resurrection F did solid work an they threw this together.
Ah, i don't think it's gonna last for more than 5 years either, or even close to it. But maybe a three-year run? That wouldn't surprise me.

Anyway, they must have some basis to predict a rise in the last projection, as the sales for 2015 are pretty great already, and Bandai tends to be accurate with their estimates. Maybe just keeping the boost the movies gave the franchise would be enough, and the series can be a tool to advertise new movies if they want. On the other hand, cancelling the show wouldn't make potential new movies any favors, no wonder they usually stop releasing movies when a long running tv anime ends (like Bleach, or DB itself in the past).

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:02 pm

I'm guessing it will go to the end of Z and if they went past EOZ they would just make a new show. But Idk, anything can happen! If a lot of people love and support DBS then I don't see them stopping production of new material for the franchise.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:03 pm

irreality wrote:I don't understand people's rush to get through all possible material and have things wrapped up as soon as possible. The show is where it is right now and has interesting stories to tell both in the action sense and the slice of life sense. Why hurry it along to another time period? We haven't even started U6 or any other universes there might be in store!.
People have been asking for EoZ content for over a decade. Naturally, when the newer movies were announced, as well as Super, they were disappointed to see it take place beforehand.
Eventually stories may overtake the epilogue, but it is more important to see the transition from a to b for me.
Incidentally, it was more important to see the transition from a to b after the Cell Games and into the Buu saga, imo. What motivated Vegeta to keep on fighting? Did something besides peace encourage Gohan to stop training? How did Gohan take the news of having a little brother? Did this make him feel guilty again over his father's absence? What did the cast do when Future Trunks visited one last time to tell them about his victory over the androids? Party? Fight a new bad guy? How did Krillin and 18 become a couple?

There's so much more to explore there, as well as opportunities to develop characters. The in-between Buu saga and EoZ is honestly doing nothing that couldn't have been done by just having the time period take place post-DBZ (though I'm glad it didn't, and that era can be forever left to my imagination). =P
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:04 pm

EoZ IMO isn't supposed to be touched. It is similar to the FMA:B ending where Ed and Al go on another adventure it ends the series where it began so to speak.

I feel Toriyama sorta intentionally wrote EoZ after a timeskip so incase he ever came back he has a lot of years to mess with and with no one transforming it means new transformations etc.

Also goin' past EoZ would mean GT would be gone for good. Toei don't want that, see recently announced SH figuarts and Udm figures.