Would anyone want to see shadow dragons return in super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Berserker1921
Advanced Regular

Would anyone want to see shadow dragons return in super?

Post by Berserker1921 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:31 pm

I had this weird idea that they would since introducing the idea of super dragon balls. Would it be cool for them to return in some form or fashion? Would you want them to be final villains of the show?

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would anyone want to see shadow dragons return in super?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:12 pm

I'd like villain akin to the Shadow Dragons to appear in a serious DBZ sequel, not Super.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:22 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I'd like villain akin to the Shadow Dragons to appear in a serious DBZ sequel, not Super.
Just because you don't personally like Super doesn't make it not a serious sequel to DBZ, in any shape or fashion.

I love the idea of the evil Dragons and there being some kind of repercussions from overusing the Dragon Balls, but at the same time, I'm kind of happy to see brand new material that's not re-hashing something from before finally coming out (yes, I'm aware of where we're at in Super right now - I mean this in general). There's still tons of stuff I'd like to see properly utilized from DBO's wealth of ideas before I'd like to see the Dragons re-done.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:09 am

I never liked the dragons TBH.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:20 am

No, I'd honestly much rather let GT and its unique elements remain their own thing, even if Super cements GT as nothing more than a side-story.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:28 am

Just because you don't personally like Super doesn't make it not a serious sequel to DBZ, in any shape or fashion.
I meant serious in tone. I'd want villains akin to the shadow dragons to appear, but not in a silly series like Super, where they'd all likely have major quirks or fap off to an ice cream sundae.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:15 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
I meant serious in tone. I'd want villains akin to the shadow dragons to appear, but not in a silly series like Super, where they'd all likely have major quirks or fap off to an ice cream sundae.
To be fair we dont know if Super is going to be all jokey jokey. For all we know the U6 arc could be as serious as the Bardock/Trukns specials. Knowing Toriyama that most likely wont happen. But you guys still have "hope". I mean look at Dragon Ball with the Piccolo arc.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:16 am

Wasn't that the case for most of the Shadow Dragons in GT, though? I only ever read episode summaries for some of those episodes, but most Shadow Dragons were pretty goofy, it seemed, until you get to the last ones.

As for the OP, I don't care for either Shadow Dragons or the idea that Dragon Balls have consequences. In general I dislike the attempts to make the Dragon world more "normal" at the end of the series.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:48 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
I meant serious in tone. I'd want villains akin to the shadow dragons to appear, but not in a silly franchise like Dragon Ball, where they'd all likely have major quirks or fap off to an ice cream sundae.
Fixed. Also DBZ is silly.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:10 am

Yes because I like the idea behind them and know that Toriyama would do a better job then Gt.

No because I want new elements to be introduced instead of something we already have.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:58 pm

Why not? The Shadow Dragons were the most unique thing to come out of GT, and with the proper handling, their arc could have been fantastic.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:06 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
I meant serious in tone. I'd want villains akin to the shadow dragons to appear, but not in a silly franchise like Dragon Ball, where they'd all likely have major quirks or fap off to an ice cream sundae.
Fixed. Also DBZ is silly.
Yeah thanks I wanted to do this but you did it for me :thumbup: . No disrespect to fadeddreams5 but always refering to the series as DBZ is pretty annoying. I know you like DBZ better and your usually talking about but still.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

yamu

Post by yamu » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:25 pm

I love the Shadow Dragon saga, but I don't know if they should be brought in again. I like that they are one of the better, unique elements in GT. To do those characters again, however, might not be as good a second time around. I enjoyed the Shadow Dragons, but I don’t know how much they can add to the story at this point, especially because the Z gang doesn't seem to use the Dragon Balls as much.

Pocket-God
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pocket-God » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:09 am

Yeah i'd love for the shadow dragon to show up so they can wreck Beerus like everyone already knows they would.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:23 am

Keep omega and syn and nouva,the rest can be improved on. Eis is acceptable but the rest are too goofy.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:33 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
You know the 2nd Star Shadow Dragon got his foot hurt by a rock and his design is pretty goofy looking overall.

Yi Xing Long (Syn/Omega Shenron), Si Xing Long (Nova Shenron) and San Xing Long (Eis Shenron) where the only serious Shadow Dragons out of the other seven. The others where pretty silly and childish looking such as:

She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:57 pm

I didn't mean the shadow dragons themselves were all serious, but they appeared in a show that actually took itself seriously (i.e. the spectrum fell more towards the drama side over comedy). I don't mind a few goofballs, but I can imagine Super making the entire arc they appear in comedic. DBZ has the Ginyu Force, who were all silly, but the arc itself was as serious as it gets.

And when I wrote "DBZ sequel", I meant Dragon Ball Z, the anime, not Dragon Ball, the manga. As far as anime is concerned, they're two separate series.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:07 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: And when I wrote "DBZ sequel", I meant Dragon Ball Z, the anime, not Dragon Ball, the manga. As far as anime is concerned, they're two separate series.
I am still curious (and baffled) as to how can they be considered separate series.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:14 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote: And when I wrote "DBZ sequel", I meant Dragon Ball Z, the anime, not Dragon Ball, the manga. As far as anime is concerned, they're two separate series.
I am still curious (and baffled) as to how can they be considered separate series.
Some fans are utterly convinced that the differences between the two are so great, that they're not even comparable to each other anymore, even when one directly leads into the other.

There are differences to a degree, I'll admit. And I tend to use the Z monniker if I'm wanting to talk about that era of the story and not just one particular arc, or if I'm talking about the anime specifically. But as far as I'm concerned, it's all one long continuous story called 'Dragon Ball', even with Super and GT.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:23 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
I actually forgot why Toei did it. IIRC, they had no idea what the story of DBZ would even be like.

That said, coincidence or not, I feel that split makes perfect sense. I explained my reasoning in another topic.