What you think about DBS?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

soleil444
Beyond Newbie

What you think about DBS?

Post by soleil444 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:37 am

This is the question... :mrgreen: We are in the middle of Dragon Ball Super, and we can comparing the new serie with old series of the franchise. Characters, style, new things, story....what's you opinion? (or you waiting the end of all the serie to answer :shh: )
Please understand: it's my first time on an english board about DB & i have a very very bad english!! thanks

Bullza
Banned

Re: What you think about DBS?

Post by Bullza » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:23 am

I'm quite enjoying it now I've got over the initial knee jerk reaction of them retelling the movies. I still would rather they hadn't but I don't Indont particularly mind much anymore.

Once the Battle of Gods arc finished I watched the whole arc over a few days and it was a much more enjoyable viewing than watching it once a week.

So far it has been pretty light hearted butnso was was the movie it was based on. RoF was a little bit more serious so I'm hoping it improves there.

I did prefer RoF so I'll likely prefer this arc too.

Overall I think it's had a better first 19 episodes than any other Dragon Ball anime except possibly Kai which its about on par with.

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:38 am

It's actually not that bad. The animation isn't the best, the story line is a bit messy and uneven, and the action is often underwhelming, but it's quite fine for what it is. I enjoy the series for the most part and often find myself most excited for the next episode of Super than any other anime/cartoon/drama I watch on a weekly basis and that's even including the amazing One Punch Man and it's fantastic visuals.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:20 am

soleil444 wrote:This is the question... :mrgreen: We are in the middle of Dragon Ball Super, and we can comparing the new serie with old series of the franchise. Characters, style, new things, story....what's you opinion? (or you waiting the end of all the serie to answer :shh: )
Characters : Most of the characters are exaggerated parodies of who they are in the manga or the last 2 movies.

Style : Art,animation&fights are atrocious.

New things : What new things ? the 1st 2 arcs are retelling the movies.

Story : BOG didn't need to be stretched across 14 episodes.

Overall : Turning BOG into a slow 14 episode arc with worse animation and boring fights was a waste of time and money that could've gone to the U6 arc.

Hopefully they change enough in RF to warrant a TV adaption.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:01 am

It's okay. Hard to judge it fully on the retellings. Once Universe 6 is in swing we'll get a better judge of it. BoG arc was okay but they played it too safe. "F" slice of life episodes were easily the best part of Super so far really enjoyed them.

But I will say this Super is miles better than GT already.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:22 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:But I will say this Super is miles better than GT already.
Gt was far from perfect but at least it had new stories and character designs.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:00 am

It's been enjoyable so far, as far as re-telling movies go. But really, I'll hold my true judgement of the show once the new content of the Universe 6 arc gets underway.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:53 am

It's great when it's not retelling the last two movies. I will wait to see how the original stories turn out first.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:03 pm

I like it. The original episodes have a very DB/DBGT feeling on them. The only thing that throws me off is the retelling of the movies which of course most of us already saw and know what is going to happen. However, I am still watching it, looking for any tiny secrets and twitches from the retelling (For example, three DragonBall wishes rather than two, which made me hope for a King Cold return). I was watching the episodes Sunday morning subbed, but now I am watching them on Saturday at midnight (HD + Spanish subs).

Animation? I don't give a damn, it doesn't have to be perfect. I still enjoy the show even if it was made on Playdoh.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:05 pm

Terrible series. Character caricatures, shoddy animation, bland music, unfunny gags forcefully placed everywhere, overly lighthearted tone, boring slice of life trend, some of the cast are OoC or just unbearable, lame concepts, unaging teenagers, and so on.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:06 pm

The show itself is fine. Especially the episodes that are covering new material. I look forward to seeing how they differ up the RoF arcs and onward.

My only real nitpicks are:
1) The rushed animation at times
2) The BoG material took WAY too long to get through. I feel like the only reason the staff dragged it out was to get this newer material prepared; but luckily the quality has improved a bit since Episode 14.
3) The BGM is unimpressive.
4) Certain fans insisting that that it "isn't Dragon Ball". Dragon Ball's always been a martial-arts action/adventure with some comedy. Even the high-stakes drama of the Freeza and Cell arcs had some light-hearted or comedic moments.
Last edited by theoriginalbilis on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:13 pm

It isn't Dragon Ball. Just because it has action and humor does not make it anything like Dragon Ball.

Replace Goku and Pals, and this series would not be able to stand on its two feet. It rides on the fact that the audience knows these characters. "What is my hero up to? Oh, farming? Hilarious!"
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:14 pm

I'm currently waiting for U6 to pass full judgement, but I thought BoG the movie was better than Super, and I hope that trend doesn't continue with Resurrection 'F'. I really hope that Toei and Tori fix 'F's errors, but I doubt it. The art is pretty bad in Super so far. I've actually enjoyed the "slice of life" episodes the most. Overall, I'm okay with Super right now. I just hope it improves when we get to the new material.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:23 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:It isn't Dragon Ball. Just because it has action and humor does not make it anything like Dragon Ball.
I'll agree with you that it doesn't feel like Dragon Ball in terms of the musical presentation. Sumitomo's score feels like it could be to anything, definitely not what I imagine a Dragon Ball-score should sound like.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:26 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:It isn't Dragon Ball. Just because it has action and humor does not make it anything like Dragon Ball.

Replace Goku and Pals, and this series would not be able to stand on its two feet. It rides on the fact that the audience knows these characters. "What is my hero up to? Oh, farming? Hilarious!"
That is why is called a Franchise. People will follow wherever direction it goes. DB is carried by the fans. Remember, it was the fans who brought the franchise back because of the reception of the movies not the other way around. And of course it's Dragon Ball. Even Evolution and GT with flaws and all are still Dragon Ball.

You do have a right to have an opinion but saying Super isn't DragonBall, it probably means you grew out of the franchise and moved on.
-----
-----

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:29 pm

The manga is fine but I dunno if I wanna keep with Super at all anymore.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:45 pm

'i don't follow' super but from the information i've gathered, I think It is quite a lot more childish compared to GT.
The question has been asked by you 10000000000 times and we have become very efficient.
I don't care about non canon stuffs like game, guide book, movie, etc
Spare the trouble because GT is CANON
Be quick and be done with it
inactive :P

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:55 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Replace Goku and Pals, and this series would not be able to stand on its two feet.
You don't even need to do that,Just replace Toriyama and would've fallen apart both in terms of ratings and fan reception.
successoroffate wrote:Saying Super isn't DragonBall probably means you grew out of the franchise and moved on.
Why don't you say that and whatever other excuse that's made for Super to people who don't like Gt or Bio-Broly ?
GTX wrote:'i don't follow' super but from the information i've gathered, I think It is quite a lot more childish compared to GT.
It is compared to the Baby,Super 17&Shadow dragons arcs.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:05 pm

successoroffate wrote:

That is why is called a Franchise. People will follow wherever direction it goes. DB is carried by the fans. Remember, it was the fans who brought the franchise back because of the reception of the movies not the other way around. And of course it's Dragon Ball. Even Evolution and GT with flaws and all are still Dragon Ball.

You do have a right to have an opinion but saying Super isn't DragonBall, it probably means you grew out of the franchise and moved on.
A lot of people got into this franchise because of DBZ. Nobody knew any of the characters, and none were properly introduced, yet the series became a major, major hit. Why? The tone from the start, the stakes, the adventure, and the action. Comedy was always in the picture, but the spectrum didn't lean towards it over drama, and its placement was much better. Even in the later half of DB (anime), this was the case.

I'm not saying Super literally isn't Dragon Ball because it's bad. I'm saying it's so far off from what the source material was like, it might as well not be; this is not anything like the series I fell in love with.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:09 pm

You don't even need to do that,Just replace Toriyama and would've fallen apart both in terms of ratings and fan reception.

So, the show it's a success, the movies are a success, and the merchandise is selling and your best argument is: "Hey, let's take Toriyama off and remove Goku and the major characters from the show and see what happens?" The show failing in that hypothetical scenario is somehow supporting your argument. That is some lousy argument.
Last edited by successoroffate on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----
-----