Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Araki
Advanced Regular

Re: Animation Comparisons - (Eps 1 - 23) [Update 4]

Post by Araki » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:00 pm

Cursemark505 wrote:You're clearly reaching. Most One Piece characters are fully grown adults & look their age. The only childish looking adult character is Luffy & even he is muscular & was only drawn lankier in early parts of the series. Dragon ball characters clearly have a more childish look to them in general.

The only things similar about those pictures are the poses and that's not an uncommon thing in anime. That picture of Gohan doesn't look like OP at all.
Fully agree with both your points. I think he's really trying waaay too hard to see One Piece there, instead of it actually being a thing.

As for Gohan's pose, that's more Tate than One Piece.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:04 pm

You're both acting like this is an exclusive complaint on my part. It's not. These comparisons extend across Twitter, reddit, and other Dragon Ball forums. It's plainly clear. I'm entirely baffled that you think otherwise.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:35 pm

Ajay wrote:You're both acting like this is an exclusive complaint on my part. It's not. These comparisons extend across Twitter, reddit, and other Dragon Ball forums. It's plainly clear. I'm entirely baffled that you think otherwise.
Sure, the young looking complaint isn't exclusive to you, but the basis of your argument isn't valid.
The only comparison from OP you can use to say that Gohan looked young and One Piece-ish is some random picture of Luffy, the only character designed to be that way. Gohan was drawn young & skinny looking in character art for RoF.
You can't say they're being influenced by OP since most of the male characters are more often than not buff and vary in all sorts of shapes & sizes.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:43 pm

I agree with Ajay. There's a ton of One Piece influence in these shots. The long skinny limbs are a dead giveaway.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:58 pm

ParkerAL wrote:I agree with Ajay. There's a ton of One Piece influence in these shots. The long skinny limbs are a dead giveaway.
There is no character in OP with long & skinny limbs. That's what you're not getting.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:08 pm

ParkerAL wrote:I agree with Ajay. There's a ton of One Piece influence in these shots. The long skinny limbs are a dead giveaway.
Precisely. I don't understand why Cursemark is intent on taking my comparison image at face value. It doesn't have to be Luffy; it's not about the specific character. It's about the characteristics of one show vs another. You can't spit out claims like "the other characters look their age" as though that has any relevance to what's being spoke about. The comparisons are blindingly obvious. They've been detailed visually and verbally numerous times. If someone can't see or understand the comparisons, that's not really my issue.
Cursemark505 wrote:There is no character in OP with long & skinny limbs. That's what you're not getting.
Sanji, Zoro, Luffy, and most of the female characters have these traits. At the risk of sounding rude, I cannot tell you if you're simply not familiar with One Piece or you're just looking to wind people up now by making wildly false claims.

I'll leave it there. It all speaks for itself. Not particularly interested in arguing my corner over this.

Deadtuber.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:16 pm

Ajay wrote:Sanji, Zoro, Luffy, and most of the female characters have these traits. At the risk of sounding rude, I cannot tell you if you're simply not familiar with One Piece or you're just looking to wind people up now by making wildly false claims.
See, that's the thing. I don't know if you're familiar with OP outside of its first few years, because those are all very old designs. Not only Oda's art style changed over the years, but also the anime character designer isn't that one since what, 2007? The characters with average bodies don't have those long limbs since a long time ago. Compare that Luffy to this one, for instance.

Another thing to consider: Kuririn in this episode looked really skinny, but i think that's clearly emulating Toriyama's current style. We can't really discard the influence of his current designs just because you want to see One Piece in it.
Last edited by Araki on Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 8 times in total.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:20 pm

I really want more Seizo Toma.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:00 pm

Araki wrote:See, that's the thing. I don't know if you're familiar with OP outside of its first few years, because those are all very old designs. Not only Oda's art style changed over the years, but also the anime character designer isn't that one since what, 2007? The characters with average bodies don't have those long limbs since a long time ago. Compare that Luffy to this one, for instance.

Another thing to consider: Kuririn in this episode looked really skinny, but i think that's clearly emulating Toriyama's current style. We can't really discard the influence of his current designs just because you want to see One Piece in it.
I'm well aware they're old designs, but the characters still retain their defining features. They really aren't very different; the primary changes were down to face shape over anything else. Oda didn't suddenly decide to trash his trademark style. If someone asks you about One Piece's art style, what are the chances that they're going to mention skinny characters and exaggerated proportions? The sheer number of characters who possess those traits are overwhelming.

Look, I'm not trying to see One Piece. I do see it. It's there. It's clear as day in some scenes. I don't put on Super and go "Oh, let me look for One Piece this week!". It sticks out like a sore thumb when everything surrounding it looks like it belongs. I can't ignore that. It. exists. I can't unsee what I see. If you really don't see it, then that's fine. At least I'm not alone in feeling this way. I can't sit here and argue with you in circles trying to make you see what I see. But I'm not going to sit here and have you tell me I'm wrong.

I know what Dragon Ball's action scenes look like, I know what Yamamuro's take on Toriyama's work looks like, too. When I see something ignoring both, it stands out and I'm going to mention it. Why on earth do you take such issue with that? If that's not One Piece, then what is it? Because it sure as hell is not Dragon Ball.

And to be fundamentally clear: I'm only talking about two scenes with Gohan and some of the backgrounds resembling One Piece. Let's not blow that out of proportion.

Deadtuber.

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:22 pm

Ajay wrote:they're old designs, but the characters still retain their defining features.
No, they don't retain those features. All you're doing is posting old anime character designs & specifically selecting badly drawn shots from animators with their own styles to fit your own narrative.
Oda didn't suddenly decide to trash his trademark style.

That's not "his" style. The characters are not drawn that way in the manga.
One Piece's art style, what are the chances that they're going to mention skinny characters

None. I've never seen someone mention "skinny characters" as a defining trait since most are not.
At least I'm not alone in feeling this way. I can't sit here and argue with you in circles trying to make you see what I see. But I'm not going to sit here and have you tell me I'm wrong.
You're one of less than 10 people who see it. You "are" wrong. It's not a matter of opinion.
then what is it?

Badly drawn shots. Nothing more.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:56 pm

Ajay wrote:Yamamuro was behind the character designs for Battle of Gods, and continues to hold that role for both Revival of 'F' and Super. Under Yamamuro's direction, he continues to look his age:
The issue is that many of the animators working on Super either can't or don't want to draw him looking "Z-appropriate". There's also Toriyama's original character design which paints him in a younger light.

It's hard to know where exactly to place the blame. The One Piece influence certainly doesn't help matters. Their designs creeping into Dragon Ball only serve to age down the characters.

It feels a little bit like the series is losing its identity with these discrepancies. As much as I hark on about Yamamuro's unimaginative work and would love for animators to be able throw their own touch on things, it seems the negatives that come with this are severely outweighing the positives in Super's case. For every one Iseki-esque episode, there are a hundred poor Yamamuro imitations.
Thanks for clarify, Ajay. I just find stupid how suddenly some characters look anorexic, like Gohan and Satan. Unlike Gohan, Satan didn't even look right in BOG. The Champion stopped eating a long a time ago:
It becomes more confused when in OVA 2008 Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! everyone looked right. And Toriko has lot of buffed characters.
Characters bodies should look like always had. Even if they follow Toriyama ugly new style. If Toriyama forgets C18 hair color and paints it purble, Toei has to fix that.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:14 pm

Cursemark505 wrote:
Ajay wrote:they're old designs, but the characters still retain their defining features.
No, they don't retain those features. All you're doing is posting old anime character designs & specifically selecting badly drawn shots from animators with their own styles to fit your own narrative.
Oda didn't suddenly decide to trash his trademark style.

That's not "his" style. The characters are not drawn that way in the manga.
One Piece's art style, what are the chances that they're going to mention skinny characters

None. I've never seen someone mention "skinny characters" as a defining trait since most are not..
Just to provide some context to this, here are some recent-ish color pages from the One Piece manga for comparison:

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:16 pm

I mentioned it before. That Gohan power-up shot had One Piece written (or drawn) all over it, especially Gohan's expression at the end. He looked like a Luffy rip-off.

Both shows have different styles and they shouldn't mix them up.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:32 am

I don't really see it in the backgrounds. When I think of One Piece I recall more pastel-esque colors. I think it just depends on the art director for the episode. Episode #16 had super detailed backgrounds, different from the other episodes, too.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

BluePiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by BluePiccolo » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:25 am

Another One Piece animation reference? Not so skinny but the pose is there...
\o/ Check out my Unboxing videos of high quality DBZ related stuff from Japan. \o/

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:36 am

I had enough of this, can't they just focus? I know DBS don't have a weekly manga to lean on, but it's not like they should animate the same way as One Piece.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:45 pm

I'm with Ajay on this one. I definitely see that One Piece influence. Especially in the Gohan shots.
BluePiccolo wrote:Another One Piece animation reference? Not so skinny but the pose is there...

This one, as well. The head and the fists definitely look like they'd belong to Luffy.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:13 pm

Lol, so One Piece invented perspective AND the "powering up" pose now. Okay. :lol:
This is Vegeta pulling a Luffy pose before OP was a thing:
Before someone talk about the angle, OP didn't come up with that either. But people will see what they want to see, so this is pointless.
Last edited by Araki on Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:18 pm

Pretty sure that Vegeta cut is just Tate being Tate, again.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

BluePiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by BluePiccolo » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:59 pm

Araki wrote:Lol, so One Piece invented perspective AND the "powering up" pose now. Okay. :lol:
This is Vegeta pulling a Luffy pose before OP was a thing:
Before someone talk about the angle, OP didn't come up with that either. But people will see what they want to see, so this is pointless.
Except that in the old animation the body is completely in proportion and doesn't look like something from a cartoon network "What a cartoon"! episode
\o/ Check out my Unboxing videos of high quality DBZ related stuff from Japan. \o/