Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:31 pm

Hit!! wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Hit!! wrote:Is it just me, or there was some Yamamuro in this episode??
Just you. There were tons of on-model shots, but I, even as someone who's wrong about this stuff 3/4 of the time, can spot Yamamuro from a mile away, and I didn't see anything of his.
I don't know, some shots in this episode gave me some serious episode 13 vibes. Especially the final part with Trunks vs Zamasu.

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
I can't pick out Otsuka very well yet, so I could be totally wrong, but didn't he do all of the Trunks stuff near the end?
Retired.

User avatar
ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5711
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:34 pm

Ajay wrote:Naotoshi Shida mentioned he'll likely be participating in Dragon Ball Super again next year. (Probably Super, though)

Always nice to have things to look forward to!
Praise the god king, for he continues to grace us with his presence!

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6157
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by Ajay » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:58 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I can't pick out Otsuka very well yet, so I could be totally wrong, but didn't he do all of the Trunks stuff near the end?
Miuma did the initial section where Trunks saves Goku and Vegeta, Manabe does a short section after that, then Otsuka does everything from when Trunks' sword is huge right through to the end.

But yeah, no Yamamuro, just animators sticking to the model sheets. Though that second shot Hit!! posted is pretty heavily corrected by Shimanuki, so I'm not really seeing the Yamamuro connection there.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5711
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:03 pm

Speaking of, it's very odd that Yamamuro wouldn't pitch in for the climax, especially since they had to grab everyone they could from the staff to make this episode. What on Earth is he doing?
If he's getting ready to step down I wonder who will take his place as character designer.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 2:42 pm

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by dhaval_dongre » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:03 pm

I dont remember where I read it, but I guess Yamamuro is around 55 in terms of age. As far as we know he hasn't worked that much in the past year. He just did some AD'ing on Xenoverse 2, the character designs for the FT arc and some promotional pages, unless there's some secret project that he is working on which I highly doubt.

Most probably he might be having some health issues. Animation is a pretty daunting task and probably because of his age or some health issues he isn't working that much nowadays.

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6157
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by Ajay » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:22 pm

Jeez, 55 (he's 56) isn't that old! Tate is around that age and Shimanuki probably isn't far off. I very much doubt there are health issues. That seems like a bit of a dramatic assumption.

As you say, Yamamuro did the Trunks special, Xenoverse 2, the Blu-ray covers, that magazine spread. He's probably working on designs for the new arc as we speak.

While it's definitely weird not to see him at all so far, he's certainly not doing nothing. I think it's important to remember that he's treated like sort of a second figurehead for the franchise now. He's a busy guy.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
kinisking
I Live Here
Posts: 4987
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: United States.

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by kinisking » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:27 pm

Ajay wrote:Jeez, 55 (he's 56) isn't that old! Tate is around that age and Shimanuki probably isn't far off. I very much doubt there are health issues. That seems like a bit of a dramatic assumption.

As you say, Yamamuro did the Trunks special, Xenoverse 2, the Blu-ray covers, that magazine spread. He's probably working on designs for the new arc as we speak.

While it's definitely weird not to see him at all so far, he's certainly not doing nothing. I think it's important to remember that he's treated like sort of a second figurehead for the franchise now. He's a busy guy.
Yamamuro definitely isn't old enough to be having major health problems. Like you said 56 isn't that old.

I'm really surprised to hear that Naoki tate is that old though! He seemed more of an up and coming animator than the rest.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

User avatar
ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5711
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:32 pm

Ajay wrote:Jeez, 55 (he's 56) isn't that old! Tate is around that age and Shimanuki probably isn't far off. I very much doubt there are health issues. That seems like a bit of a dramatic assumption.

As you say, Yamamuro did the Trunks special, Xenoverse 2, the Blu-ray covers, that magazine spread. He's probably working on designs for the new arc as we speak.

While it's definitely weird not to see him at all so far, he's certainly not doing nothing. I think it's important to remember that he's treated like sort of a second figurehead for the franchise now. He's a busy guy.
With the next arc likely starting in 2 months he's probably already finished most, if not all of the character designs for it, I would assume. If there are a lot of character designs it could have been that working on an episode this arc would set him behind on finishing them and fuck up the production of the next arc I guess.
kinisking wrote: Yamamuro definitely isn't old enough to be having major health problems. Like you said 56 isn't that old.

I'm really surprised to hear that Naoki tate is that old though! He seemed more of an up and coming animator than the rest.
Tate has been with the franchise almost as long as Yamamuro (maybe as long, I don't know when he started doing inbetweens for the franchise). I've always assumed Shimanuki is older than Yamamuro, but I don't know if I'm right on that.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 2:42 pm

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by dhaval_dongre » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:13 am

Ajay wrote:Jeez, 55 (he's 56) isn't that old! Tate is around that age and Shimanuki probably isn't far off. I very much doubt there are health issues. That seems like a bit of a dramatic assumption.

As you say, Yamamuro did the Trunks special, Xenoverse 2, the Blu-ray covers, that magazine spread. He's probably working on designs for the new arc as we speak.

Woah didn't knew Tate was in his 50's.

As you said, Yamamuro's probably working on the character designs for the next arc.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14006
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:25 am

Tate Naoki was a rookie in 1987, doing in-betweens alongside Hisada Kazuya on Dragon Ball starting with Episode #75. It was earlier in Dragon Ball that Shimanuki Masahiro himself had only just been promoted to key animation, too, so Shimanuki is probably a year or so older than Tate. Tate will be turning fifty-two years old in two months.
She/Her | ♥♥♥

User avatar
ryou766
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:45 pm

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by ryou766 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:57 am

Anyone have that shot from Episode 61 of Black glancing down at Future Trunks after he ascends into Super Trunks before Trunks declares he'll be the one to destroy him?

User avatar
JazzMazz
I Live Here
Posts: 2216
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 am
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:09 am

You mean this shot?
Image

User avatar
ryou766
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:45 pm

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by ryou766 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:11 am

JazzMazz wrote:You mean this shot?
Not quite. I'm not sure if it was in 61.. or the very start of 62. But, Black was standing firmly and the art style was different.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1204
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:08 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:47 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:It could be a movie. I hope it's a movie. More Shida is always great. Looking forward!
Why a movie exactly?
More time. More drawings. If Hatano or Chioka or anyone besides Yamamuro directs it it will be awesome. While Shida's work has been great in Super so far, he's not at his 100% and I think a movie will be ideal for Shida to show his full potential.

I know it's only a 1% chance and it might not happen. It's just wishful thinking on my part.

User avatar
ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5711
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:21 am

I don't want a new Dragon Ball movie until the production and talent issues of Super are completely sorted out honestly.
I would hate for the production of a movie to hurt Super.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7946
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:47 am

JulieYBM wrote:Tate Naoki was a rookie in 1987, doing in-betweens alongside Hisada Kazuya on Dragon Ball starting with Episode #75. It was earlier in Dragon Ball that Shimanuki Masahiro himself had only just been promoted to key animation, too, so Shimanuki is probably a year or so older than Tate. Tate will be turning fifty-two years old in two months.
I know Tate has been around for awhile because he's one of the big animators in One Piece. He's actually one of the few animators I know by name and style since the One Piece community is very….divided on his work. In fact, this forum is one of the few places I have seen such glowing admiration for him.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5711
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:10 am

HeroR wrote: I know Tate has been around for awhile because he's one of the big animators in One Piece. He's actually one of the few animators I know by name and style since the One Piece community is very….divided on his work. In fact, this forum is one of the few places I have seen such glowing admiration for him.
Tate's work in Super is very divisive, it's just that most of the regulars in this thread like his work. I've seen tons of hate for Tate's episodes on this forum.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7946
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:22 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
HeroR wrote: I know Tate has been around for awhile because he's one of the big animators in One Piece. He's actually one of the few animators I know by name and style since the One Piece community is very….divided on his work. In fact, this forum is one of the few places I have seen such glowing admiration for him.
Tate's work in Super is very divisive, it's just that most of the regulars in this thread like his work. I've seen tons of hate for Tate's episodes on this forum.
Still more positive than those One Piece forums. You would think Tate ate someone's dog by the way that community tends treat him.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
JazzMazz
I Live Here
Posts: 2216
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 am
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:27 am

HeroR wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Tate Naoki was a rookie in 1987, doing in-betweens alongside Hisada Kazuya on Dragon Ball starting with Episode #75. It was earlier in Dragon Ball that Shimanuki Masahiro himself had only just been promoted to key animation, too, so Shimanuki is probably a year or so older than Tate. Tate will be turning fifty-two years old in two months.
I know Tate has been around for awhile because he's one of the big animators in One Piece. He's actually one of the few animators I know by name and style since the One Piece community is very….divided on his work. In fact, this forum is one of the few places I have seen such glowing admiration for him.
Surprisingly enough, the reason the One Piece fandom doesn't like Tate's work is very similar to why people don't like his work on Super.

User avatar
ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5711
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:29 am

HeroR wrote: Still more positive than those One Piece forums. You would think Tate ate someone's dog by the way that community tends treat him.
I've seen some awful stuff said about Tate in regards to Dragon Ball.

Post Reply