Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psykomatik
Regular

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by Psykomatik » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:06 pm

He's being sarcastic.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:13 pm

It's going to be very interesting to see what the next Sakai episode looks like, he only had 3 weeks since his last episode for this one but it seems like he might have been the one holding the episode together.If he gets 6 to 10 weeks for his future episodes we might end up getting totally on model episodes from him, very excited to see how he turns out as a supervisor.
Psykomatik wrote:He's being sarcastic.
Is he? It just seemed to me like he thought we were talking about episode 66.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:42 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:Come on guys.. Really? Sometimes i really don't understand you lot. This episode's animation was superb! Totally amazing and beautiful! Almost unrivaled, stop complaining. There's nothing wrong with this ep's animation. It was God-Level!!
67 did not have superb animation, it was merely a passable looking episode. 66 was superb.
I think you might be confused as to what episode we're talking about
No i am not confused. We're talking about last nights episode okay? And Yes it did. And that's only your opinion. It has no objective reality whatsoever. As far as i'm concerned, this episode was GOLD.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:45 pm

Wow, now the jokes has gone too far. Is he serious? Like, for real?
Really, really? Now i don't know if he's trolling us or if he's just blinded by Kitano's art style...

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:58 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Come on guys.. Really? Sometimes i really don't understand you lot. This episode's animation was superb! Totally amazing and beautiful! Almost unrivaled, stop complaining. There's nothing wrong with this ep's animation. It was God-Level!!
Wait... What?
kill me

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:58 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:And that's only your opinion. It has no objective reality whatsoever. As far as i'm concerned, this episode was GOLD.
Actually, it's pretty measurable.

When you can very literally see the production falling apart in front of you in the first half, there's not much wiggle room.

No, it's not a terrible episode throughout. The second half and parts of the first half are just fine.

It's silly to pretend the episode was flawless, though. We're realistic here.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:01 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
67 did not have superb animation, it was merely a passable looking episode. 66 was superb.
I think you might be confused as to what episode we're talking about
No i am not confused. We're talking about last nights episode okay? And Yes it did. And that's only your opinion. It has no objective reality whatsoever. As far as i'm concerned, this episode was GOLD.
You must have confused animation with art. You see. Art and Animation are 2 different things. art is how something looks. and animation is movement.

Episode 66 had awesome Art and animation from start to finish.

Episode 67 had ok art and ok animation in the first half. But Standard animation and great artwork.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:06 pm

Ajay wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:And that's only your opinion. It has no objective reality whatsoever. As far as i'm concerned, this episode was GOLD.

When you can very literally see the production falling apart in front of you in the first half, there's not much wiggle room.

No, it's not a terrible episode throughout. The second half and parts of the first half are just fine.

Well i personally don't see anything wrong with that shot. I've seen much worse. When Zeno appeared everything was definitely good indeed.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:24 pm

Ajay wrote:

Woof. Those shots looks ugly as hell. I hope they get fixed up in the Blu-Ray release but I'm not holding my breath.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:21 pm

Here's some more Shida genga.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:29 pm

Another week without Toma or Lee Joo-hyon showing up on any anime, maybe both of them are taking a break and will return to the industry some time next year. Hopefully Toma comes back to Super if that's the case. As for Lee-Joo-hyon... I honestly don't care what show he would go to after a break, I mean it'd be nice to have him as a support supervisor on Super I guess.
Lord Beerus wrote: Woof. Those shots looks ugly as hell. I hope they get fixed up in the Blu-Ray release but I'm not holding my breath.
Being the end of the arc this episode deserves some corrections, and honestly it doesn't need too many to go from being a simply passable episode to being a solid enough.
41 deserved to have the Super Shen Long summoning updated as well, but it didn't get that, but to be fair that needed completely redone animation, where as this is simple art fixes.
If we get simple art corrections for this arc then honestly this is all we really need, ordered from how important I think it is that it is corrected.
The rough art in 67
Trunks vs Black and Zamasu in 62
Goku vs Zamasu in 53
The rough art in 64
The tiny bit of rough art in the second half of 55

There are obviously other episodes with some roughness(49, 51 and 60 being the main offenders), but I think if they could do corrections on even just 2 of the above episodes that'd be a huge thing for the arc as a whole. And with the way the arc is split up in the home release (48-60 and 61 through the rest of the arc and what follows) it's totally possible. With Box 5 (48-60) coming out January 6th though that box might not see any corrections though as the supervisors might still be recovering from 66, but we'll see. Really it's Box 6 that I think deserves corrections the most and with that coming out April 4th it is probably more likely to see corrections.
nite_jay wrote:Here's some more Shida genga.
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cxt4hO4UoAA7gDO.jpg[img]
I hope he posts more and makes a habit of posting genga from his most recent episode in the weeks before his next episode.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:33 pm

Oh that looks so beautiful. Where do these come from, his Twitter? I hope one day the studio releases some of this production art so I could collect it, but this makes it seem like the animators keep their own art these days?

In any case I LOVE seeing production artwork. I hope he and others continue to post more.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:47 pm

-Episode 67-

The first part had some ugly shots, but I don't even feel like criticizing Kitano. He seems to be slow animator that can't keep up with this insane schedule but unlike Tate, who seems also to be a slow one, he doesn't get more time for his episodes because he's not worth it. Kitano + TAP + Super schedule = mess. Unfortunately, someone needs to be sacrificed.
He is the black sheep of the team. Poor guy.

No idea who Hakai is, but I loved the second part.
Whoever drew Gohan deserves an award. He never looked better since Super began. Who did it?

Vegeta punching FT Trunks looked great. Higashide?! I seriously have no idea what this guy could do with this series if he had more time.
His work always satisfies me and he shows up almost in every episode for some time now. Definitely a savior who deserves more acknowledgement. :thumbup:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:26 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:-Episode 67-

but unlike Tate, who seems also to be a slow one, he doesn't get more time for his episodes because he's not worth it.

Are you saying that tate is given a lot of time but cant deliver? Cause if you are, Then Boy episode 65 had tate rushing like he was in an olympic race.

Like look at his schedule xD

Inbetween episode 56 and 65. he had to work on Tiger mask W's Opening. And did a lot of work on episode 63. You can already assume by this that had he a lot less than just 9 weeks to complete His episode episode

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:38 am

I like how nobody in this thread is the least bit surprised with we got this week. We've come a long way.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
They use a lot of different colours for the shading. It's amazing that they can somehow keep track of all this :crazy: .
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:05 am

Avery wrote:I like how nobody in this thread is the least bit surprised with we got this week. We've come a long way.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
They use a lot of different colours for the shading. It's amazing that they can somehow keep track of all this :crazy: .
And people say that the animators are lazy xD

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:05 am

Ep 67

So after collecting my thoughts here are my overall final thoughts of the episode.

The first half is as bad as everyone expected. Kitano wasn't able to keep himself slightly afloat from the five weeks he was given.

The second half was a significant improvement, the art was a lot cleaner, the Vegeta punch was okay, though nothing noteable happened in the way of animation, Trunks big sendoff was definitely the most polished part of the episode.

Overall, meh all round, paired with a worse script than last episodes (some how) this episode was a real doozy.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:13 am

Avery wrote:I like how nobody in this thread is the least bit surprised with we got this week. We've come a long way.
Given how great #66 was and given the shots we had for #67 don't think anyone was too surprised what we ended up with.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:20 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Given how great #66 was and given the shots we had for #67 don't think anyone was too surprised what we ended up with.
I think it came down to knowing what to expect from the staff working on the episode with the time frame they had that made us not as disappointed.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:53 am

By far Yuichi Karasawa's done an amazing job, he's my favorite atm, almost every part he does screams DRAGON BALL for me.