Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 70

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:21 pm

Gashif Aldi wrote:DB Super is getting a new Opening (+Ending). Makes you wonder how the production is going. But, I'm 100% sure we're getting a bunch of new animators when the arc starts.
It could be a good sign, or they could have just grabbed animators totally unrelated to the production to work on the opening, or it could have been been done entirely by Yamamuro. I'm being super positive and hopeful about the state of production when it comes to this arc, but this is a thing that we can't really draw any conclusions from yet.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:28 pm

Now I can see why Yamamuro has been absent so long. He's probably been designing/tracing a lot of characters for this next big multiverse arc, and has maybe been doing work/ correcting the new opening.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:54 pm

The PV is just art from Toyotaro's manga, lol.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:59 pm

Ha, even my worst case scenario of PV-exclusive animation by Yamamuro wasn't true. That's funny and depressing.

Very cool to see Toyotaro working his butt off, though.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:00 pm

Hopefully they have more, otherwise there goes my positivity. :(

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:01 pm

Ajay wrote:Ha, even my worst case scenario of PV-exclusive animation by Yamamuro wasn't true. That's funny and depressing.

Very cool to see Toyotaro working his butt off, though.
Hopefully they are still ahead of the current schedule for the anime, but they just didn't have polished animation for the beginning of the tournament (due to a longer lead in maybe?) so they went with manga.
I hope...

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:14 pm

Well, something very interesting just popped in my Twitter feed from Jump Festa.

The character sheet for Vegetto in his Super Saiyan Blue form:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

It's covered in Miyako Tsuji. What?!

I don't know whether Tsuji designed this and had Yamamuro correct her, or whether she altered a previous Yamamuro design.

That's so crazy.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:15 pm

Ajay wrote:Well, something very interesting just popped in my Twitter feed from Jump Festa.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I don't know whether Tsuji designed this and had Yamamuro correct her, or whether she altered a previous Yamamuro design.

That's so crazy.
Maybe Tsuji will take over at some point.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:17 pm

The hypothesis that Yamamuro is preparing to step down is constantly gaining more and more credence. I don't like the guy's drawings, but I hope he's alright, and doing all this of his own accord.
Retired.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:19 pm

Yeah, I mean I guess I should note that it's not actually unusual to have character designs for one-off episodes done by someone other than the character designer, but it feels weird for something like this.

Those opportunities are usually only afforded to staff during filler episodes.

Deadtuber.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:15 am

After that Manga PV I don't know what to expect from this :lol: :lol: .
It's likely that they aren't making episodes for the new arc yet, maybe storyboards and nothing else, it's a shame, it was too good to be true.
I'm glad that at least somebody is working hard on Dragon Ball.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:16 am

I was kind of disappointed with how the Vegetto designs looked. I was thinking Yamamuro was starting to phase out highlights (there's seemed to be less imo) but I guess not. I've actually started to enjoy doing these "no highlight" edits, though.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:27 am

nite_jay wrote:I was kind of disappointed with how the Vegetto designs looked. I was thinking Yamamuro was starting to phase out highlights (there's seemed to be less imo) but I guess not. I've actually started to enjoy doing these "no highlight" edits, though.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I dont mind the highlights on the hair, but its only when there are highlights on the face that they make the characters look like plastic

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:38 am

Alee9977 wrote:After that Manga PV I don't know what to expect from this :lol: :lol: .
It's likely that they aren't making episodes for the new arc yet, maybe storyboards and nothing else, it's a shame, it was too good to be true.
Everyone involved is working hard. It's just, for obvious reasons, much easier and faster to finish a couple of manga pages than 1 minute of animation.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:45 am

Araki wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:After that Manga PV I don't know what to expect from this :lol: :lol: .
Everyone involved is working hard. It's just, for obvious reasons, much easier and faster to finish a couple of manga pages than 1 minute of animation.
And as I mentioned before the arc might have a longer lead in time, for instance the anime equivalent of the scenes show in the PV might not even happen until a few episodes in, meaning they wouldn't have enough done to show. The Manga based PV is disappointing, but I don't think it's something we should be worried about.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:35 am

Ok guys now that I have calmed down(I was just disappointed that we did not even get a few sec clip from an episode.). What they did is actually really smart. It saves resources, but still gives people a good idea about what to expect. There is a possibility of anime reusing some manga panels, if they were done wayyy before the episode started its production. I think we will get an actual footage later down the road anyway. Still going to be positive, until I can't anymore :P

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:00 am

That PV was laughably bad. The new OP has me excited though cause the singer Hikawa Kiyoshi is good from what I've heard. Hopefully, they will put all their resources into it. I hope Shida will do some KA for it too.

I also hope Yamamuro isn't directing it. Ishitani Megumi who directed ED05 would be good. I liked her boards in it even though the vocals were awful.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:09 am

I feel like that PV was put together by Shueisha and not Toei, makes sense I guess.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:16 am

ArchedThunder wrote:I feel like that PV was put together by Shueisha and not Toei, makes sense I guess.

Good point actually. I forgot this was primarily a JUMP event.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:32 am

Ajay wrote:Well, something very interesting just popped in my Twitter feed from Jump Festa.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

That's so crazy.
This is simply conjecture, but it looks like Tsuji with minimal Yamamuro corrections. The line work in the face looks fairly standard Yamamuro, but the other line work (especially the hair) doesn't remind me of him at all.