Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ParkerAL
Regular

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 78

Post by ParkerAL » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:05 pm

I've never liked the direction Gohan's hair has taken as he's grown older. I get that the shorter, straighter hair is supposed to make him look mature, but it comes across as so bland and uninteresting. Makes me miss his style from the Cell arc:

I wish there were still at least some hints of his father's wild hair in his current look.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:13 pm

ParkerAL wrote:I've never liked the direction Gohan's hair has taken as he's grown older. I get that the shorter, straighter hair is supposed to make him look mature, but it comes across as so bland and uninteresting. Makes me miss his style from the Cell arc:

I wish there were still at least some hints of his father's wild hair in his current look.
To be fair that was really the only time his hair looked like Goku's. When he was younger his hair was always a lot more flat though still messy. It was more bed head than spikes.
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Octorockandroll wrote:
ParkerAL wrote:I've never liked the direction Gohan's hair has taken as he's grown older. I get that the shorter, straighter hair is supposed to make him look mature, but it comes across as so bland and uninteresting. Makes me miss his style from the Cell arc:

To be fair that was really the only time his hair looked like Goku's. When he was younger his hair was always a lot more flat though still messy. It was more bed head than spikes.
Nah, Gohan's hair always looked like that at the top. Goku just shortened it.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:42 pm

If Yamamuro plans to return to providing key animation for the series I think now is the time!!!!!!!
We need him for Gohan's comeback.
Add Karasawa, Shida, Higashide, Shimanuki, and Tsuji and we can have an episode that everyone will talk for the next 20 years.
No seriously if 80 isn't going to be good, people will go crazy

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Mazingerdestro wrote:If Yamamuro plans to return to providing key animation for the series I think now is the time!!!!!!!
Add Karasawa, Shida, Higashide, Shimanuki, and Tsuji and we can have an episode that everyone will talk for the next 20 years.
I think its way to early in the arc for Shida to appear, also why isn't Ken Otsuka there, his definitely one of the best animators that has worked on the series.

As for Yamamuro, I think he would just make the fight rather stale.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:12 pm

Mazingerdestro wrote:If Yamamuro plans to return to providing key animation for the series I think now is the time!!!!!!!
He doesn't and we don't. Although I wouldn't mind it if he corrected some stills or something if he does want to participate. Anything more would just be unwelcome at this point.
Retired.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:28 pm

I personally wouldn't mind if Yamamuro animated in Gohan's return. It's not like the next Gohan fight will be a super big moment where he'd be hogging other people's potential spotlight. We are only 3 episodes into the arc. And in all honesty he's still an okay animator, but I think that the memes about him being bad have become a little too 'exaggerated', I guess.
Last edited by nite_jay on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:38 pm

This would be amazing but I think that seems overkill for an exhibition match.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:40 pm

We have Manabe working on the episode. Much better than Yamamuro.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:46 pm

Sodhi wrote:We have Manabe working on the episode. Much better than Yamamuro.
He's definitely one of the best animators.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:10 am

kinisking wrote:
I would say supervisor, we're really not sure how he animates.(though I am pretty sure he did at least some of the Vegeta vs Black fight in #63)

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:58 am

JazzMazz wrote:
kinisking wrote:
I would say supervisor, we're really not sure how he animates.(though I am pretty sure he did at least some of the Vegeta vs Black fight in #63)
Yeah, Ajay is pretty sure of it also. It seems like he's a good animator and supervisor .

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:21 am

kinisking wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
kinisking wrote: He's definitely one of the best animators.
Yeah, Ajay is pretty sure of it also. It seems like he's a good animator and supervisor .
Now that we think we know he can animate, I think it's safe to assume he could have done this scene from #27, it's definitely not the best thing ever and is far inferior to the movie version, but it's definitely solid for a show like Super.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:26 am

Manabe hasn't animated since episode 66, I hope that at the very least the reason he didn't animate for 75 was because he was already working on 80.
If the episode turns out nice and polished and Manabe provides animation I assume that will be the case.

Anyways, we're drawing near some Tate action! I hope for the best!

Shreyas_Singh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shreyas_Singh » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:01 am

ArchedThunder wrote:Manabe hasn't animated since episode 66, I hope that at the very least the reason he didn't animate for 75 was because he was already working on 80.
If the episode turns out nice and polished and Manabe provides animation I assume that will be the case.

Anyways, we're drawing near some Tate action! I hope for the best!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ...
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Feel free to correct me if I say something wrong.

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:32 am

JazzMazz wrote:
kinisking wrote:
He did Key Animations on Mob Psycho. Definitely a good animator.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:36 am

Gashif Aldi wrote: He did Key Animations on Mob Psycho. Definitely a good animator.
He did animation for a single episode and was super low on the list. Unless you know exactly what he did on that episode his presence there doesn't mean he's automatically a good animator, he may have done nothing but talking shots.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:12 am

Nakatsuru Katsuyoshi has been missing after working on Pop in Q. Hopefully he doing or does something for DBS.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:23 am

we already have Manabe and Tsuji on the episode, and Higashide will probably work on it too. i think thats already enough

And Shida for an exhibition match? Youre getting a bit too crazy :lol:

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:48 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Gashif Aldi wrote: He did Key Animations on Mob Psycho. Definitely a good animator.
He did animation for a single episode and was super low on the list. Unless you know exactly what he did on that episode his presence there doesn't mean he's automatically a good animator, he may have done nothing but talking shots.
Well, he did a lots of Key Animations inbetween episodes of Dragon Ball Super. But, I bet he's one of the good combat animators out there.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from: