Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 87

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:28 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:I know this has been said before, but this show really needs more impact frames, espicially when it comes to transformations. In Z, impact frames were used quite a bit for transformations and though they didn't work that well all the time, I think they definitely look better than suddenly transforming like in this episode for example. That Cabba transformation looked awful and the Ultimate Gohan transformation was also pretty lackluster, I think adding a impact frame here and their would make them generally more interesting.
I was watching some Z clips yesterday and saw a some instant transformations with no impact frames. Z transformations are praised a lot, but usually they just happened in a snap unless it was a big moment.
Even if they didn't use impact frames, they normally used a quick flash of white to disguise the transformation, even last house did this, of course there are transformations where this doesn't apply, but I thinks relevant here as this fight actually did have two "major" transformations.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:00 am

I hadn't really thought about it, but I wonder if we'll see Otsuka do any storyboards again in the future.
I wonder if he'll only animate on one episode this arc like he's done before, or if he might show up twice or something.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:04 am

ArchedThunder wrote:I hadn't really thought about it, but I wonder if we'll see Otsuka do any storyboards again in the future.
I wonder if he'll only animate on one episode this arc like he's done before, or if he might show up twice or something.
He is a fan of the series, it is highly likely that he'll make a return in some capacity later down the line.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:05 am

JazzMazz wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:I hadn't really thought about it, but I wonder if we'll see Otsuka do any storyboards again in the future.
He is a fan of the series, it is highly likely that he'll make a return in some capacity later down the line.
Oh, I know he'll continue to show up, he said as much at the end of last year, I'm just wondering if he'll storyboard again and maybe start to show up more frequently than every 30-ish episodes. Even every 15 or so episodes would be nice.
Speaking of, if he follows his pattern we'll probably see him in June or July. Hopefully he'll be able to produce some good stuff for the series from now on.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:21 am

Love how almost every episode of this arc has some standards when it comes to animation and art.
Nothing looks awful. Nothing looks rushed.
Whatever they are doing, it looks like it works.
Good for the show that we can finally enjoy it without looking the other way when mediocre animators appear.
Let's hope that the tournament and the next arc will look even better

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:27 am

Mazingerdestro wrote:Love how almost every episode of this arc has some standards when it comes to animation and art.
Good for the show that we can finally enjoy it without looking the other way when mediocre animators appear.
It's really awesome to see Super in such a good state. It's so much better than FT arc in terms of art right now, and that filter and new line art are incredible, they make it look so much better and also helps making the characters blend with the background better and also somewhat hides art imperfections when there are.

As I keep saying each week I'm completely fine with the show right now, so let's hope it will continue to stay this consistent.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:35 am

Looking at how they have used the animators and how Nashizawa is on next week with Nii I feel pretty confidant in these predictions;

90- Shimanuki + Paul Añonuevo and maybe another TAP supervisor.
91- Yashima
92- Ishikawa + either Ono or Noel Añonuevo (potentially accompanied by another TAP supervisor)
Mazingerdestro wrote:Love how almost every episode of this arc has some standards when it comes to animation and art.
The average quality is much higher than it's ever been and I would go as far as to say that we haven't had a single episode that overall looked bad, but there is still certainly some awful and rushed looking stuff from in most of the episodes. The show has a bit to go before it looks normal, but depending on what kind of planing has gone into the tournament, it could start to look normal then, if not probably next arc or so. Keep in mind I'm only saying "look normal", I imagine the show will probably look normal before the production is actually "normal".
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:38 am

emperior wrote:
It's really awesome to see Super in such a good state. It's so much better than FT arc in terms of art right now, and that filter and new line art are incredible, they make it look so much better and also helps making the characters blend with the background better and also somewhat hides art imperfections when there are.

As I keep saying each week I'm completely fine with the show right now, so let's hope it will continue to stay this consistent.
Yes they finally found the sweet spot for that filter and it looks good. I can't find a single moment to hate or feel bad.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:55 am

every time i see this nose my nose itches
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:23 pm

Nasryyy wrote:every time i see this nose my nose itches
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Those are Tsuji's I believe. They are a bit different than Yamamuro's.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The Vegeta nose above is a Yamamuro one. Most probably a Wanpack guy drew that. Outsourced staff keep it simple in most cases and just follow Yamamuro designs. But prominent animators draw their own noses in episodes and the ones that get corrected have Tsuji's noses. That's what I feel. Yamamuro isn't heavily involved in the series now with the exception of his designs and promotional material, but we are even drifting away from his designs. Its really weird tbh.

Is my assumption correct or am I just overthinking it ?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:45 pm

The noses having this weird shadow effect on the side no matter the lighting always did strike me as odd. I wonder why Yamamuro doesn't go for something else.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:12 pm

There is a lot to talk about with this episode but I just loved how they actually drew SSJ abd SSJ2 Gohan differently. It was so great it almost made up for how lame it is that Cabba's hair still doesn't change beyond just becoming blonde. It's also cool to see Gohan's ultimate form make a return although acting like this is the first we've seen of it since the buu saga is an odd inconsistency considering we already saw it in Super.
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:23 pm

JazzMazz wrote:I know this has been said before, but this show really needs more impact frames, espicially when it comes to transformations. In Z, impact frames were used quite a bit for transformations and though they didn't work that well all the time, I think they definitely look better than suddenly transforming like in this episode for example. That Cabba transformation looked awful and the Ultimate Gohan transformation was also pretty lackluster, I think adding a impact frame here and their would make them generally more interesting.

EDIT: That Veggeto espicially looks extremely phoned in.
The black and blonde switching out was lackluster, but everything else in the ultimate transformation was neat. We don't see the sky open like that from transformations.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:35 pm

kinisking wrote:

The black and blonde switching out was lackluster, but everything else in the ultimate transformation was neat. We don't see the sky open like that from transformations.
What about ssgod? :D
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:45 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:
kinisking wrote:

What about ssgod? :D
Oh yeah, totally forgot about that ! The SSG transformation in super was amazing. It really felt godly.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:52 pm

-Episode 88-
Loved this episode so freaking much!!

As for animation is concerned, it was nothing mind blowing.
Still this is the 12th consistent good looking episode of this arc and the next one looks good too.

I'm glad my prayers have been heard and they added new shots of the Tournament Arena being built in that end scene. I was already tired of seeing the same damn shots.
Thanks Toei!

Now, if they could only get rid of the censorship... :roll:

Aside of that, can we just keep Nagamine Tatsuya and Nakamura Ryota as Dragon Ball directors forever?! I'm loving how they just came aboard, decided to apply the filter and are handling this arc, both when it comes to pacing and staff management. Smart decisions everywhere!
Ajay wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Where do you guys get the staff list now that animators corner is not getting updated anymore?
By painfully translating the names listed in the credits at the end of the episode.
I've just started saving them in documents for reference until Kanzenshuu updates.
That's what I feared.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:12 pm

it seems that every character in dragon ball super anime uses the same fighting stance as goku . why don't they change it and do it like the manga ? is this coming from storyboards ?

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:13 pm

Nasryyy wrote:every time i see this nose my nose itches
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I never understood what this extra triangle offers. In yamamuro's case, it is suppose to be the nose' s shadow but here it's like a tattoo.
Erase it and you have a wonderful good looking nose

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:18 pm

I'm not used to this universe where Super's animation is actually consistent for entire episodes. I'm scared! :?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:55 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Going back over the NEP, I'm digging the art.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Also I said I saw Yashima's Goku back when I watched it in low quality, but I was wrong, it's Nashizawa.
Judging by these pics, I can only expect the best about NEP art/animation
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.