Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 90

Post by emperior » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:26 pm

Hopefully Nagamine and Nakamura will stay as directors. I really like their approach to this current arc, especially that new filter/line-art thing which has really made Super look better.

It also seems like the tournament will be good in terms of animation. I have very good feelings about it. Hopefully I'll be satisfied by the art and animation.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Guys let's keep those expectations in check..

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:38 pm

Ajay wrote:I asked Tu about the overall state of Super's production, but predictably, he wasn't able to say much due to his obligation keep certain aspects confidential.

He did, however, say that we should really raise our expectations for when the tournament begins. He's gotten really good vibes from Nagamine, and has actually been learning a lot from Shida lately - though again, he wouldn't discuss details.

Some pretty reassuring words, especially after his last comment.
That's clearly great to know! Thanks for sharing this with us!

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:29 pm

Ajay wrote:I asked Tu about the overall state of Super's production, but predictably, he wasn't able to say much due to his obligation keep certain aspects confidential.

He did, however, say that we should really raise our expectations for when the tournament begins. He's gotten really good vibes from Nagamine, and has actually been learning a lot from Shida lately - though again, he wouldn't discuss details.

Awesome! I'll keep my expectations where they're tho, but this is exciting.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:55 pm

Well, thats nice to hear, hopefully this means the tournament should have some consistent action episodes.
I still expect some sort of quality drop after the tournament though.

Also, I'm really happy we were able to get Karasawa back, his another solid supervisor that the show desperately needs to help relieve the schedule.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:35 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:

Reading this will really make me have high expectations which is bad in a way if it doesnt deliver. I hope he isnt pulling our leg with that comment.
Again it is just words with no source, don't adjust your expectations I am certainly not, if the NEPs blows our minds then maybe but for now keep things in check.
What do you mean by no source? These are words coming from an animator that is participating in almost every episode of Super, I believe we can trust him, however, I'll keep my expectations low as altas. Hope for the best, prepared for the worst.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:02 am

Alee9977 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote: Reading this will really make me have high expectations which is bad in a way if it doesnt deliver. I hope he isnt pulling our leg with that comment.
Again it is just words with no source, don't adjust your expectations I am certainly not, if the NEPs blows our minds then maybe but for now keep things in check.
What do you mean by no source? These are words coming from an animator that is participating in almost every episode of Super, I believe we can trust him, however, I'll keep my expectations low as altas. Hope for the best, prepared for the worst.
I mean Ajay didn't exactly give any proof of said discussion especially with whats gone on the last few days it's hard to take anything serious without empirical evidence.

But yeah raising expectations with Super is dangerous I learned that the hard way in Champa arc, never really raised them again since.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:21 am

Sometimes i really, really wish this anime was based on the manga... This art is just something else!!!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:22 am

Basing the cartoon off of the comic wouldn't mean that the cartoon would have the exact same quality still images.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:51 am

Hit!! wrote:Sometimes i really, really wish this anime was based on the manga... This art is just something else!!!
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
If it were based off the manga, the only thing that would change is the storyboards (and the pace, but that's besides the point). The rest of the positives and negatives of the show from a production standpoint would be identical to what they are now.
Retired.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:57 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I mean Ajay didn't exactly give any proof of said discussion especially with whats gone on the last few days it's hard to take anything serious without empirical evidence.

But yeah raising expectations with Super is dangerous I learned that the hard way in Champa arc, never really raised them again since.
Totally understand and appreciate being wary about what I relay without seeing the messages yourself. For what are hopefully obvious reasons, I'm not able to provide them, and of course they're not actually in English! Much like Kei17 cannot provide his sources in many cases, I hope the general reputation is at least enough not to dismiss everything entirely.

Again, I should reiterate that an animator's expectations may not line up with the very high ones fans have. Animators are of course privy to the state of the production, so what's impressive in the context of their environment, may not line up with what we expect.

These statements are much more interesting to look back on in retrospect with the full context of the show in the back of our minds.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:57 am

JulieYBM wrote:Basing the cartoon off of the comic wouldn't mean that the cartoon would have the exact same quality still images.
I understand that, but I'm referring to the style, the different angles and the fact that the animators would have something to base on instead of relying on their imagination.

Also, the fighting choreography in Toyotaros manga is leagues better than the anime, not to mention that it's more Z ish.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:21 pm

DragonBallFan8001 wrote:Earlier today I played Dragon Ball Z Sparking Meteor/Budokai Tenkaichi 3 again for the first time in a while, and I noticed that many, if not all, of the character portraits in the character select screen look like Shimanuki's work. Specifically, they look similar to his old and current style, rather than his style in the Dragon Ball Z Sagas opening and early Dragon Ball Super, which is odd considering Sparking Meteor was released in 2007, after Dragon Ball Z Sagas.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

These are just a couple of examples that I could quickly find in image form. Here is a Youtube video with all the character portraits in them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA67di346sE
Sadly it is stretched from 4:3 to 16:9, but I couldn't find one in 4:3 that was sharp enough to accurately judge the art style.
The character art in this game was just splendid.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DragonBallFan8001
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallFan8001 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:07 pm

Noah wrote:
DragonBallFan8001 wrote:Earlier today I played Dragon Ball Z Sparking Meteor/Budokai Tenkaichi 3 again for the first time in a while, and I noticed that many, if not all, of the character portraits in the character select screen look like Shimanuki's work. Specifically, they look similar to his old and current style, rather than his style in the Dragon Ball Z Sagas opening and early Dragon Ball Super, which is odd considering Sparking Meteor was released in 2007, after Dragon Ball Z Sagas.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

These are just a couple of examples that I could quickly find in image form. Here is a Youtube video with all the character portraits in them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA67di346sE
Sadly it is stretched from 4:3 to 16:9, but I couldn't find one in 4:3 that was sharp enough to accurately judge the art style.
The character art in this game was just splendid.
Yep, it was really nice, especially compared to the art of many of the other modern Dragon Ball games. I wonder why Shimanuki's art did not seem influenced by One Piece in Sparking Meteor, when it did in the Sagas opening and early Super. Does anyone have an idea? Or was this all drawn by someone else that just happens to share a bunch of his traits?

I also checked the Sparking Neo/Budokai Tenkaichi 2 character select screen, and the art there seems very different. Some drawings seem to have a few Shimanuki traits, but not enough that it can't be a coincidence. Most of them seem completely different and don't look very good, so I don't think he worked on that game.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:54 pm

Hit!! wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Basing the cartoon off of the comic wouldn't mean that the cartoon would have the exact same quality still images.
I understand that, but I'm referring to the style, the different angles and the fact that the animators would have something to base on instead of relying on their imagination.
Storyboards.

But i get your point c:

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:38 pm

Hit!! wrote:

Also, the fighting choreography in Toyotaros manga is leagues better than the anime, not to mention that it's more Z ish.
Not true. I mean Super has had quite a lot of bad animation and the choreography has also been poor at times, Goku vs Botamo for eg. But it has had some good choreography as well, even though not so much, and definitely less than what we expect. Some parts of the BoG arc were nice, RoF and U6 were mostly bad and the FT arc had some good ones in the important episodes. The fights in this arc have been decent as well, Goku vs Kuririn for eg. (Though Yashima's corrections weren't the best). But I don't want to take anything away from Toyotaro. He has had some good moments as well.

ChaosX79

Post by ChaosX79 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:47 pm

This may be a bit off-topic, but regarding the Anime & the Manga, I'm a bit confused with the kaioken, is it canon or not? I've heard it's filler for the anime, but if it IS filler, why do they keep showing it off? Usually filler is a one time thing (from my perspective), but it's weird that the kaioken is still around, and even more when it hasn't shown up in the manga, toyotaro has taken alternative routes with the course of the story (hit being weaker in the manga, therefore no need for kaioken to show up), or the Super Saiyan Rage not appearing in the manga (due to this new "mastered" Super Saiyan Blue goku seemes to have now). At this point both Super Saiyan Blue and Kaioken are high marketing points, so I wouldn't be that much surprised if they keep showing Kaioken cause of that.
Before creation comes destruction...
- Beerus-sama

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:02 pm

ChaosX79 wrote:This may be a bit off-topic, but regarding the Anime & the Manga, I'm a bit confused with the kaioken, is it canon or not? I've heard it's filler for the anime, but if it IS filler, why do they keep showing it off? Usually filler is a one time thing (from my perspective), but it's weird that the kaioken is still around, and even more when it hasn't shown up in the manga, toyotaro has taken alternative routes with the course of the story (hit being weaker in the manga, therefore no need for kaioken to show up), or the Super Saiyan Rage not appearing in the manga (due to this new "mastered" Super Saiyan Blue goku seemes to have now). At this point both Super Saiyan Blue and Kaioken are high marketing points, so I wouldn't be that much surprised if they keep showing Kaioken cause of that.
Although this shouldn't be discussed in animation thread i'd say both anime and manga are cannon, people can watch and enjoy both, the kaioken showed up in U6 arc final battle so that in it's own makes it cannon both the manga and the anime has high points and low points, they both are their own thing

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:47 pm

Found this on Ajay's Twitter :

https://mobile.twitter.com/truebard/sta ... 9548889088

Its a tweet by an animator on Super, Shin Youngsoon. I hope this shows up on an episode. Most likely it will I think. It does look like something for an episode. It also has the date 2017/6/9. So do they put the dates after the sketch is completed or when they start drawing it and he might have done it in a single day ? I am not a very knowledgeable guy on animation, so any insight would be appreciated :) .

He also did say that many good animators are working on the tournament. Hope that turns out well, but will still keep my expectations in check. The sketch also shows some destruction of the arena. I wonder how it turns out as the arena is CG.

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:02 am

dhaval_dongre wrote:Found this on Ajay's Twitter :

https://mobile.twitter.com/truebard/sta ... 9548889088

Its a tweet by an animator on Super, Shin Youngsoon. I hope this shows up on an episode. Most likely it will I think. It does look like something for an episode. It also has the date 2017/6/9. So do they put the dates after the sketch is completed or when they start drawing it and he might have done it in a single day ? I am not a very knowledgeable guy on animation, so any insight would be appreciated :) .

He also did say that many good animators are working on the tournament. Hope that turns out well, but will still keep my expectations in check. The sketch also shows some destruction of the arena. I wonder how it turns out as the arena is CG.
Yeah, he also posted this one:

And here's the other:

It does looks awesome! I hope is from an episode.