Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 93

Post by HeroR » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:22 pm

As pointed out, the general feeling of the epsoide was extremely positive to the point most didn't noticed the BANK animation and why would they? Fans don't remember frames from previous epsoides most of the time and Dragon Ball Z used repeated frames a lot.

It has only been on this site that seen far more mixed reaction.

For me, l liked the epsoide. For the amount of chaos, I expected repeated frames although more BANK animation was used more than I liked, but I take saving time and resources now and save the better stuff for later.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:56 pm

Man, this is a really good shot from Yamamuro.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
He even almost closed the earlobe. I like the look of half closed ear lobes, Karasawa did it in 94 as well.
If Yamamuro ever starts drawing front on noses in a classic style again I'm going to cry tears of joy.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:20 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Man, this is a really good shot from Yamamuro.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
He even almost closed the earlobe. I like the look of half closed ear lobes, Karasawa did it in 94 as well.
If Yamamuro ever starts drawing front on noses in a classic style again I'm going to cry tears of joy.
Either Gokuu's hand is in mid-motion or Yamamuro screwed up the Gokuu's left hand clutching his right arm. Speaking of the right arm, those muscles make no sense.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:56 pm

I don't care what anybody says, Yamamuro is a genious Dragon Ball artist.... His art is looking so good lately.

The only thing that i don't like are those highlights in his hair and the extra hair.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:03 pm

Hit!! wrote:I don't care what anybody says, Yamamuro is a genious Dragon Ball artist.... His art is looking so good lately.

The only thing that i don't like are those highlights in his hair and the extra hair.
I personally always liked Yamamuro's art. When people posts his work and tell me this is an example of how bad Yamamuro is and compared his work to older Dragon Ball works from Z, I usually prefer Yamamuro.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:08 pm

His 17 is pretty bad in the new ED.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:16 pm

Does anyone feel as if they're drawing Beerus' face different lately? In some scenes he looks like a dog almost. Like Scooby Doo.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:29 pm

precita wrote:Does anyone feel as if they're drawing Beerus' face different lately? In some scenes he looks like a dog almost. Like Scooby Doo.
Every key animator and animation supervisor has a different way of drawing. Each draws the way they are most suited to drawing as quickly as possible.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:04 am

Slaythe wrote:His 17 is pretty bad in the new ED.
Anything that doesn't look like the original forehead 17, looks good to me lol.
:clap:

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:34 am

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I'm surprised you didn't bring up what's going on with the back of his neck. The face is decently expressive, though still pretty bland.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:52 am

Ajay wrote:Episode 97

Animation Supervisors
Hirotaka Nii
Yukihiro Kitano

Assistant Supervisor
Osamu Ishikawa

Key Animators
Part A
Yukihiro Kitano
Futoshi Higashide
Tu Yong-ce
Shuntaro Mura
Mua Tsukino
Miyuki Yokoyama
TAP

Part B
Tatsuya Oka
Shoichi Funaki
Takenori Tsukama
Takashi Yamakita
Masato Ikeda
Hironori Sawada
Ooyonemame Douga
That's actually a large staff list for an episode that had mostly reused animation, i've seen this guy Shuntaro Mura's name a lot and still don't know his style or what he animates, and i didn't know higashide animated here, i wonder what he did ?

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:24 am

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
One thing I can safely say about him is that every time we see him, he improves his art. I don't know if he actually reads criticism or in general he was inactive for so long that he needed few years to go back to his usual self but Yamamuro finally started evolving his art and surpassing his Buu saga self. In this shot the nose looks a little weird but the details, the muscles, the body types, and the ears sure look improved.
It would be great seeing him actually providing some action heavy key animation in order to check if his animation skills have changed too.
Also pretty weird seeing him drawing "different" (a little) noses than his original character sheets.
Nasryyy wrote:[spoiler]
Ajay wrote:Episode 97

Animation Supervisors
Hirotaka Nii
Yukihiro Kitano

Assistant Supervisor
Osamu Ishikawa

Key Animators
Part A
Yukihiro Kitano
Futoshi Higashide
Tu Yong-ce
Shuntaro Mura
Mua Tsukino
Miyuki Yokoyama
TAP

Part B
Tatsuya Oka
Shoichi Funaki
Takenori Tsukama
Takashi Yamakita
Masato Ikeda
Hironori Sawada
Ooyonemame Douga
[/spoiler]

That's actually a large staff list for an episode that had mostly reused animation, i've seen this guy Shuntaro Mura's name a lot and still don't know his style or what he animates, and i didn't know higashide animated here, i wonder what he did ?
Higashide probably provided the key animation for the fairy or the sumo and other people cleaned and corrected it. (unless of course they credit them for originally making the key animation used for bank)
Mostly? Few shots are not mostly (maybe the fact that they were different instead of one long transformation confused you). Series like digimon and sailor moon survived by showing minutes long sequences in every episode. One of my favorite episodes in digimon season 2 is basically like 2 mins of actual animation and everything else still shots and bank transformations (1 episode before the ending).
Funny part next week would be if the only bank animation part is like 1-2 mins and everything else is original.
JulieYBM wrote:
precita wrote:Does anyone feel as if they're drawing Beerus' face different lately? In some scenes he looks like a dog almost. Like Scooby Doo.
Every key animator and animation supervisor has a different way of drawing. Each draws the way they are most suited to drawing as quickly as possible.
Some of the Beerus shots look like corrected Kitano. Some were corrected and others were left for comedic value. Kitano draws the best doggy Beerus.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:06 am

Nasryyy wrote:
The reused animation made up only about 30 seconds of the run time. Regardless of people's opinions of the episode there was a lot going on in it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:38 am

I am curious once they run out uses to re-use animation if they'll go to the sub plot on Earth, was expecting it this episode tbh. I actually vastly prefer this than the idea of a subplot on the Island in general.
This episode ended with two new char designs yet I don't remember seeing them in the NEP so I think the NEP just showed all the re-used stuff that we were gonna see, perhaps they are saving Shimanuki for the finale again and don't want him to go all out just yet and he'll mostly be doing stuff in the second half, I think the NEP just showcased the first half in general.

Also given what happened in this episode, it makes a lot of sense why they didn't have Karasawa or Tate open it, I though them being on the Freeza mini recruitment arc when the ToP was right around the corner was a waste but one of them or both on here would have been an even bigger waste considering barely anything happened narratively.

Also did we ever find out if the long off season between Black arc and this was beneficial, I seem to remember someone saying that Toei could have potentially been slowly working on the ToP during that period?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:51 am

"Run out of reused animation"? I don't think they plan on using much more in an episode than they did in this one and it was only about 30 seconds, and I don't think they plan to reuse animation for that long, just the opening few episodes.
The Earth subplot will probably start soon, I would think.

Orb

Post by Orb » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:21 pm

Also they have the stands for a reason. As more get eliminated the more characters are gonna be sitting in the stands to cut back to for reaction shots and jokes. I'm sure by the end we'll have everyone fill up the seats,watching and reacting to the final match whether it be Goku vs Jiren (probably) or someone else.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:31 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:"Run out of reused animation"? I don't think they plan on using much more in an episode than they did in this one and it was only about 30 seconds, and I don't think they plan to reuse animation for that long, just the opening few episodes.
Wait, it was only 30 seconds? Geez, people need to chill out.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:58 pm

kinisking wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:"Run out of reused animation"? I don't think they plan on using much more in an episode than they did in this one and it was only about 30 seconds, and I don't think they plan to reuse animation for that long, just the opening few episodes.
Wait, it was only 30 seconds? Geez, people need to chill out.
You write like you don't know what fanbase and what show we're talking about.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:32 pm

Yeah it's why I put uses of, the doggies are probably gonna get ringed out next week so probably why they decided to recycle animation for them, after that I think signature moves will be banked regularly along with transformations, Jiren vs Goku will probably use Shida's cut at least from the OP. I don't think Toppo and Goku are gonna fight again, everything with Vegeta is gonna be new.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:38 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Nasryyy wrote:
The reused animation made up only about 30 seconds of the run time. Regardless of people's opinions of the episode there was a lot going on in it.
do you know what's shuntaro mura style and animation is ? what about higashide and what he did in episode 97 ?