Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:51 pm

This episode was all over the fucking place. About at least 50% of this episode had reused animation and the fight choreography was quite subpar. The arstyle was at least somewhat consistent.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Ajay wrote:Episode 124

Animations Supervisors
Yoichi Onishi
Joey Calangian
Noel Anonuevo

Assistant Animation Supervisor
Shuuichiro Manabe

Key Animators
Toei Phils.
Kohei Kajiwara
Yukihiro Kitano
Atsushi Nikaido
Setsuko Nobuzane
Yuki Osada
Futoshi Higashide
Miyuki Yokoyama

Second Key Animators
Asashi Productions

I'm blown away by how dreadful that was. That's by far the weakest episode since this arc began. I'm not even exaggerating when I say there was more reused action than actual new content. What on earth is even going on?

Last week I could understand... Toei building move + Christmas break = not fun. But this shouldn't have been too affected. Nothing should ever result in an episode turning out like this unless your production's melting... or this is calculated.

If it's the latter, then why on earth would you factor that into the finale of your biggest arc yet?! It's baffling. We had Shuuichiro Manabe here! Nikaido... Higashide... How on earth?!
I hope the production isn't melting because that would sad. When Super is ending, the production goes downhill. I hope next episode is better but I'm starting to have a bad feeling about this.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:53 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:This episode was all over the fucking place. About at least 50% of this episode had reused animation and the fight choreography was quite subpar. The arstyle was at least somewhat consistent.
Do you think next episode will be better?
Majinwarman

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:56 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:This episode was all over the fucking place. About at least 50% of this episode had reused animation and the fight choreography was quite subpar. The arstyle was at least somewhat consistent.
I hope. Because I want Super to go out with a bang.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:59 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
I hope. Because I want Super to go out with a bang.
Me too! I want this series and arc to leave us a great memory to last us until the new movie.
Majinwarman

manya

Post by manya » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:18 pm

What are the possibilities of correcting those episodes for the last Blu Ray box releases??? I mean is the last release of DBS Box and they could polish them.

Ice85

Post by Ice85 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:52 pm

So Kitano was providing key animation for 123 and 124? The schedule really is falling apart. NEP looks fine I guess, except for those looped ki blasts that I despise so much. Maybe the animation will go back to normal next week?
Last edited by Ice85 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:05 pm

Episode looked consistent and polished...
But what the hell man, half the episode was reused animation, maybe even more. Lmao I'm getting worried.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:28 pm

Onishi is listed first right? So the first half was the in house one?
The first half was honestly pretty good, and it wasn't too ridiculous on bank, it was the second half that went over the top with it. Funny enough Joey Calangian and Noel Anonuevo's last episode was 118, where their half was also super heavy on bank.
Honestly the thing that bugged me was how much Manabe was in the second half, though he was fairly rough so hopefully the corrections he did here he did really fast as a last minute thing.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:43 pm

I think this episode was decent in animated terms, we always had reused frames in this series, sometimes I don't have problem with it.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:08 am

It looked a lot prettier than last week's episode. That's about the only good thing I can say about it. Horribly animated, with the vast majority of the episode being re-used animation that almost rivals 102, and terrible, terrible choreography. At least Gohan's plan made the fight feel more interesting, but yeesh...

This is really not how you want to be doing your last 7 episodes. There should be no reason that they're this conservative when we're this close to the finale. I hope they know what they're doing...

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:16 am

Super's budget is going to hell in its last few eps, I can only assume it's because they're putting extra work in the final Goku Vs. Jiren eps.

Now we know why Super is going on hiatus. Goodbye, sweet prince.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:35 am

Moving into the new building and having to compete for animators with a PreCure finale and first cour is going to hurt Dragon Ball Super's chances. We still don't know what staff Ogawa Kouji is trying to ween away from here, either. Then there's taking into account that a new Sailor Moon and Saint Seiya are in production, somewhere. Who the hell knows what animators Dragon Ball Super's staff can realistically ask to work on their series. How soon did Nakamura and Nagamine know that Episode #130 or #131 would be their last episode? Was it soon enough to ask Shida to make enough room in his schedule to fit in more than twenty seconds worth of shots? I don't think so.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:16 am

JulieYBM wrote:Moving into the new building and having to compete for animators with a PreCure finale and first cour is going to hurt Dragon Ball Super's chances. We still don't know what staff Ogawa Kouji is trying to ween away from here, either. Then there's taking into account that a new Sailor Moon and Saint Seiya are in production, somewhere. Who the hell knows what animators Dragon Ball Super's staff can realistically ask to work on their series. How soon did Nakamura and Nagamine know that Episode #130 or #131 would be their last episode? Was it soon enough to ask Shida to make enough room in his schedule to fit in more than twenty seconds worth of shots? I don't think so.
It was decided sometime last year, as per Geekdom. Not sure what date, but the movie was announced quite early so I guess a they had decided it a bit earlier. But the schedule is very tight there's no denying that. The past 2 episodes have been very rough. I hope this is calculated and the finale turns out fine. Lets hope the movie's production is quite strong.

Derf

Post by Derf » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:32 am

I'm sure this is nigh blasphemous to say given how up in arms about this episode everyone seems to be, but I thought it was... fine? Good, maybe, even?

Sure, there was plenty of reused animation, but I found it fairly well integrated into the story they were trying to tell this episode so as to not make it distracting. Not once did the animation take me out of the episode this week. The new stuff, of which lets not kid ourselves - there was still plenty - was well drawn, on model, and decently animated. This was a conservative episode that did its job well while allowing the animators to, hopefully, properly set up for the final Goku/Jiren battle and the "series finale." Granted, if things don't improve for the final 5 or so episodes then I'll be a little more upset by this in hindsight, but I thought it was all fine. It was fine.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:32 am

Derf wrote:This was a conservative episode that did its job well
That's just the problem though, we've got 7 episodes left until the series ends (for now). We shouldn't be getting conservative episodes this late into the game.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:46 am

Asura wrote:It looked a lot prettier than last week's episode. That's about the only good thing I can say about it. Horribly animated, with the vast majority of the episode being re-used animation that almost rivals 102, and terrible, terrible choreography. At least Gohan's plan made the fight feel more interesting, but yeesh...

This is really not how you want to be doing your last 7 episodes. There should be no reason that they're this conservative when we're this close to the finale. I hope they know what they're doing...
Sure it had plenty of reused animation, but nothing was bad and certainly not horribly animated.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:25 am

Maybe this is a bit ignorant, but considering the fact that the show is ending on 131, and the last action heavy episode will likely be 129 or so, why the hell is the production seemingly falling apart? Shouldn't they have all hands on deck for this last stretch, considering that there's no more episodes to worry about in terms of production? Or have we still not hit that point yet, and instead we'll start to see the quality take a massive step up later on, due to having the people that would've been working on 132, 133, etc. had the show continued?

Regardless, I just pray that the last 3-4 episodes blow us away to justify these last two messes of episodes, and the nearly guaranteed underwhelming 125 and 126 to come. And even then, I'm not sure 3 great looking episodes completely justifies 4 straight weeks of mediocrity in the climax of the arc. This is the Trunks arc all over again. 61, 62, 63, and 64 were all coming apart at the seams just for the sake of giving us 65 and 66.
emperior wrote:
Asura wrote:
That's just the problem though, we've got 7 episodes left until the series ends (for now). We shouldn't be getting conservative episodes this late into the game.
I agree. I will be quite disappointed if the last three/four episodes aren't incredibly awesome, considering all the conservative stuff we have gotten and are still getting throughout all this arc. They have no excuse this time around considering this is Super's finale and they won't have to worry about producing more episodes after 131, which means they can focus all of the staff into these last 7 episodes.
Next episode doesn't seem to be anything special and it will be most likely a solo effort by Yashima, and at most we can expect a good key animator popping up in the last few minutes to provide a good cut like it happened in 117.
126 is where the good things may start. Yamamuro storyboarding might mean that it will be an important episode, so perhaps episode 126 onwards is where they concentrated all the good staff and stuff.
It's ironic that they're potentially dumping Yammy onto an episode to "get serious", and yet him being there is inherently going to cause a quality dip. Oh, Toei.
manya wrote:What are the possibilities of correcting those episodes for the last Blu Ray box releases??? I mean is the last release of DBS Box and they could polish them.
This episode doesn't really require many corrections. For as much of a mess it is in terms of animation reuse and whatnot, this episode actually has perfectly fine art. Not much to correct.
Ice85 wrote:So Kitano was providing key animation for 123 and 124? The schedule really is falling apart. NEP looks fine I guess, except for those looped ki blasts that I despise so much. Maybe the animation will go back to normal next week?
Next week is Yashima, so it won't be too nice. And then from what I remember 126 isn't looking too great either (it actually has the potential to be the worst episode since 119, since it has a lot of the crew from 119 and Yamamuro's awful storyboarding). 127 is looking to be where things ramp up and get "normal" (or spectacular potentially).
precita wrote:Super's budget is going to hell in its last few eps, I can only assume it's because they're putting extra work in the final Goku Vs. Jiren eps.

Now we know why Super is going on hiatus. Goodbye, sweet prince.
No offense, but why are you posting in the animation section and saying things like "the budget is going to hell". You should know that's an ignorant thing to say. The "budget" isn't why things will or will not fail.
Noah wrote:I think this episode was decent in animated terms, we always had reused frames in this series, sometimes I don't have problem with it.
But when it's this excessive, to the point where LITERALLY almost half of the animation is reused, that's a problem.
Last edited by Artorias on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:49 am, edited 8 times in total.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:30 am

Asura wrote:
I agree. I will be quite disappointed if the last three/four episodes aren't incredibly awesome, considering all the conservative stuff we have gotten and are still getting throughout all this arc. They have no excuse this time around considering this is Super's finale and they won't have to worry about producing more episodes after 131, which means they can focus all of the staff into these last 7 episodes.
Next episode doesn't seem to be anything special and it will be most likely a solo effort by Yashima, and at most we can expect a good key animator popping up in the last few minutes to provide a good cut like it happened in 117.
126 is where the good things may start. Yamamuro storyboarding might mean that it will be an important episode, so perhaps episode 126 onwards is where they concentrated all the good staff and stuff.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:43 am

I thought this episode was better than last weeks in terms of consistency with art, animation however yeah nothing special but for an episode like this I didn't think it needed to be, what we got was sufficient enough to leave me satisfied.

Also I don't know people just assumed since DBS was ending these episodes were gonna look good to great, there was no guarantee, hell there is no guarantee for the finale, play it by ear as always.