Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:28 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
HOLY SHIT! Now that looks excruciatingly disturbing
Nope. That's just what we expected from Super since the beginning, too bad the show only grow some balls towards its finale.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:16 am

Noah wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote:
Nope. That's just what we expected from Super since the beginning, too bad the show only grow some balls towards its finale.
Indeed. Imagine the first two arcs with this level of execution... :O

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:18 am

I did get my Takahashi-drawn ssjg Gokû at least in this arc, so I have that.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:01 am

Wow a Yashima episode where SSGSS Goku is drawn consistently with the bang? I like.

Noah wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote:
I didn't, I epxected DBS to look pretty bad from the beginning I remember nitpicking every little thing in the first couple of episodes. I also remember before the show started in a magazine Toei said it would have "beautiful visuals" or something along those lines. That was pretty funny.
Chuquita wrote:I did get my Takahashi-drawn ssjg Gokû at least in this arc, so I have that.
I wish Takahashi did more SSGSS Goku.

Speaking of SSG. I wonder if Toei will go and correct SSG from this arc where the boots don't have the white trim.

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Post by thegamer23 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:09 am

Last 5 minutes of this episodes had amazing shots & direction. I Loved it.

That Frieza shot is from Takahashi?

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:15 am

Frieza facial expressions were my favorite parts of the episode.Definetly one of Super strongest episode.
Mostly active on discord.

Danimon

Post by Danimon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:50 pm

thegamer23 wrote:Last 5 minutes of this episodes had amazing shots & direction. I Loved it.

Manabe, I think

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:23 pm

.Episode 125-

Solid episode.

Not only it looked good, but the storyboard stood out with the couple first view shots it had.
In the beginning when C17 was firing ki blasts to Toppo, it looked like a first-person shooter video game. :lol:

Despite the lack of blood that pisses me off, this episode felt brutal.

I've been hoping they would change the World of Void color when there was only a few minutes left and I'm glad they did it. The green version was giving me a lot of vibes from Namek/FT Trunks arcs and I rather to have something new. It's perfect now.

Next episode looks fire!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:14 pm

Danimon wrote:
thegamer23 wrote:Last 5 minutes of this episodes had amazing shots & direction. I Loved it.

Manabe, I think
Definitely Manabe. The gaping mouths give it away easily. Loved his expressions! I'm optimistic for next week as well.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:15 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:
Danimon wrote:

Manabe, I think
Definitely Manabe. The gaping mouths give it away easily. Loved his expressions! I'm optimistic for next week as well.
Who is supervising the next episode?
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Derf

Post by Derf » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:53 pm

This might have been my favorite episode of the entire tournament. The art was stunning. The animation, albeit conservative at parts, had an excellent flow. The Freeza v. Toppo part at the end was particularly amazing, displaying the violence and severity of the situation the remaining fighters are in perfectly.

The storyboard though, ooph, that storyboard. It was excellent. It was the real star of the episode, more so than any other aspect. A home run episode.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:02 am

majinwarman wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:
Danimon wrote:
Manabe, I think
Who is supervising the next episode?
I believe it's Ono (his last) and Namatame.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:54 am

SBing and directing has kicked all kinds of ass lately! I also love how the aesthetics of the ToP have changed throughout instead of the being boring and plain like the U6 tournament.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:20 am

Damm I watched this epsiode live (raw) and it was already impressive (visual wise) then i watched it in 1080p it was sometimes movie quality especially the second part.

Do we know the upcoming animators (supervisors) of the upcoming episodes?

I know episode 126:

Epsiode 126
By Tsutomu Ono > Did episode 39 (goku vs hit) and episode 109 (Jiren vs Goku)
By Yasuhiro Namatame> Did episode 111 (Jiren vs Hit)

I think epsiode 126 will just do fine.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:52 am

Pannaliciour wrote:Damm I watched this epsiode live (raw) and it was already impressive (visual wise) then i watched it in 1080p it was sometimes movie quality especially the second part.

I know episode 126:

Epsiode 126

Just why watch it raw? There is literally no reason to and you are only hindering your experience.

I used to do and then one day I decided to wait and trust me the experience is so much better for it. I doubt many watch cam copies of movies so why do people feel the need to still watch DBS raw is beyond me and that isn't even getting into the other issues like understanding what is going on. People like Geekdom do episode "reviews" before the simulcast even goes live annoys me and these people always spout about how you should watch legally etc uploaded his last "review" at 00:52:05 UTC the earliest a simulcast goes live is Daisuki at 1.15am UTC. One thing I am glad about DBS is ending so all this "I wanna be the first" BS can end.

I don't care if people think I am annoying with this, there is no reason to this anymore, even if someone is in a place with no legal simulcast you can still wait a few hours for the show to be uploaded.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:54 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Just why watch it raw? There is literally no reason to and you are only hindering your experience.

I used to do and then one day I decided to wait and trust me the experience is so much better for it. I doubt many watch cam copies of movies so why do people feel the need to still watch DBS raw is beyond me and that isn't even getting into the other issues like understanding what is going on. People like Geekdom do episode "reviews" before the simulcast even goes live annoys me and these people always spout about how you should watch legally etc uploaded his last "review" at 00:52:05 UTC the earliest a simulcast goes live is Daisuki at 1.15am UTC. One thing I am glad about DBS is ending so all this "I wanna be the first" BS can end.

I don't care if people think I am annoying with this, there is no reason to this anymore, even if someone is in a place with no legal simulcast you can still wait a few hours for the show to be uploaded.

For episodes reviews, I can absolutely understand your argument, and even agree with it, but for getting first impressions of the animation, it's irrelevant, and makes wild assumptions about the quality of how certain people watch the show live.

The service I use, for example, is not a particularly large downgrade from the real deal. It's comparable to SD vs HD, not cam vs direct capture. Unless standard definition is somehow totally unacceptable, I don't see the issue.

Some folks may use worse streams, some may not, but you don't know, and that's the point. Attempting to police how people watch the show isn't ever going to work unless you 100% know everyone's circumstances, and even then, so what?

Certain people approach their fandom in different ways, and get enjoyment out of different aspects of the viewing experience. The collective hype that's international when it comes to watching the episode live is not something you can ever experience if you watch it later down the line. It's exciting to be a part of that.

Like, I get it, I really do. I get annoyed when I hear of people experiencing Dunkirk through a CAM or DVDSCR when the whole experience is the sheer scale and lengths to which they went to capturing the feel of the battle. I totally get your perspective. At the same time, I appreciate that not everyone values that first experience in the same way I do. Heck, I might even watch a screener if it meant having a cool community experience out of it. If I don't enjoy it, well I can always give it another shot later down the line. It hasn't ruined the film forever, and that's the beauty of repeat watches - something that's essential for me when it comes to Super, for example.

I remember going to see Where The Wild Things Are and that first experience was ruined by loud children running around, and I left the cinema convinced I hadn't really enjoyed the film. Watched it later down the line and absolutely adored it. It wasn't the end of the world.

I totally appreciate where you're coming from, and it's great that you personally enjoy doing things the way you do, but to say there's no reason to watch it live or to look down your nose at people who choose to do so isn't really very fair.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:48 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Damm I watched this epsiode live (raw) and it was already impressive (visual wise) then i watched it in 1080p it was sometimes movie quality especially the second part.

I know episode 126:

Epsiode 126

Just why watch it raw? There is literally no reason to and you are only hindering your experience.

Its because I live in Europe. And the difference between 1:00 and 2:00 is big enough. Haha

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Ajay wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Just why watch it raw? There is literally no reason to and you are only hindering your experience.

For episodes reviews, I can absolutely understand your argument, and even agree with it, but for getting first impressions of the animation, it's irrelevant, and makes wild assumptions about the quality of how certain people watch the show live.

The service I use, for example, is not a particularly large downgrade from the real deal. It's comparable to SD vs HD, not cam vs direct capture. Unless standard definition is somehow totally unacceptable, I don't see the issue.

Some folks may use worse streams, some may not, but you don't know, and that's the point. Attempting to police how people watch the show isn't ever going to work unless you 100% know everyone's circumstances, and even then, so what?

Certain people approach their fandom in different ways, and get enjoyment out of different aspects of the viewing experience. The collective hype that's international when it comes to watching the episode live is not something you can ever experience if you watch it later down the line. It's exciting to be a part of that.

Like, I get it, I really do. I get annoyed when I hear of people experiencing Dunkirk through a CAM or DVDSCR when the whole experience is the sheer scale and lengths to which they went to capturing the feel of the battle. I totally get your perspective. At the same time, I appreciate that not everyone values that first experience in the same way I do. Heck, I might even watch a screener if it meant having a cool community experience out of it. If I don't enjoy it, well I can always give it another shot later down the line. It hasn't ruined the film forever, and that's the beauty of repeat watches - something that's essential for me when it comes to Super, for example.

I remember going to see Where The Wild Things Are and that first experience was ruined by loud children running around, and I left the cinema convinced I hadn't really enjoyed the film. Watched it later down the line and absolutely adored it. It wasn't the end of the world.

I totally appreciate where you're coming from, and it's great that you personally enjoy doing things the way you do, but to say there's no reason to watch it live or to look down your nose at people who choose to do so isn't really very fair.
I am not trying to look down on people, if it is coming across that way, just want to help people as it made me enjoy the show so much not having this burden of staying up to watch it. But you are right with your "Certain people approach their fandom in different ways" comment, you prefer subbed I prefer dubbed for example and you could try and convince me to never watch the show dubbed and I can see how that could become annoying so fair enough.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:16 pm

cuartas wrote:I've been kept silent when a yashima episode comes, because the last 2 before this one were wonderful, just for the fact that yashima art was almost 0 and the direction improved, this one did the same.
I wanna undertand why, are there new mysterious key animators polishing the art entirely and he's getting help from the best storyboarders and directors? or what is it, how is that sudden increase of quality on his episodes possible?
Anyone knows the answer?

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

I know episode 126:

Epsiode 126

I totally agree about the reviews, it's just silly, bad and doesn't make any sense. I hate this ''I will be the first BS''.
With that said, people are very excited (myself included) so we don't have patience to wait until the subs come. That's the only reason I watch it raw, at least.