Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:53 am

Asura wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:I'm not feeling the artstyle though. I was expecting a Maeda style approach, but what we got is bouncier and looser than that. It's not as offensive as Pokémon Sun and Moon or One Piece Movie 6, but it's still not my cup of tea. Goku also looks like Luffy in some frames, like this one:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The more I look at this the more I hate this art style. Where is the detail??? There is literally zero linework on his fingers, the muscles are three straight lines, just ugh...
Didn't the Maeda DB designs have one line for muscle definition?

Also, I think this is generally the right idea for how muscles should be shown in the series. Soft and loosely defined, but still obstinately visible. Not to mention, the designs are meant for the animators to use as a reference to which they can expand upon and add their own unique details to, so it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Its more for frame of reference than anything else, and like good character designs do, is a frame of reference that allows for malleability.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:21 am

Asura wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:I'm not feeling the artstyle though. I was expecting a Maeda style approach, but what we got is bouncier and looser than that. It's not as offensive as Pokémon Sun and Moon or One Piece Movie 6, but it's still not my cup of tea. Goku also looks like Luffy in some frames, like this one:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The more I look at this the more I hate this art style. Where is the detail??? There is literally zero linework on his fingers, the muscles are three straight lines, just ugh...
I agree with the muscles, but is line work on fingers really needed? I think not.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:56 am

Amir wrote:
Asura wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I agree with the muscles, but is line work on fingers really needed? I think not.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:17 pm

The cheek shading on that close up is terrible as well
And why 3 small spikes between the ear and the eyebrow?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:40 pm

Yeah, can't really see how Goku looks anything like Luffy.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

One small little complaint I have, though, is this small little half-smile present at the start:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

It's lifeless, generic and I'm sick of seeing it on every shit show. It's a modern fad that needs to die.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:44 pm

Asura wrote: The more I look at this the more I hate this art style. Where is the detail??? There is literally zero linework on his fingers, the muscles are three straight lines, just ugh...
I don't hate it, but I'm having some troubles with it because it's not my cup of tea.

I like Takahashi. Takahashi is a funny guy. He's a young freelancer that comes to Super to remind everyone how the characters are supposed to look and then leaves.

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:02 pm

Doctor. wrote:Yeah, can't really see how Goku looks anything like Luffy.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

One small little complaint I have, though, is this small little half-smile present at the start:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

It's lifeless, generic and I'm sick of seeing it on every shit show. It's a modern fad that needs to die.
I haven’t seen too much of One Piece but there actually is something about that first picture that looks very Luffy-esque. I think it’s the shape of the eye combined with the very minimal shading.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:36 pm

Even Takahashi has praised the design. Put that with Shida's praise and you got the 2 most mentioned people when it comes to more detail and shading.

I have a feeling you guys will appreciate the style more when you see it in action more. And don't forget that the title still allows for the typical Shida or Takahashi art. It brings more opportunity.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

King Jacku
Beyond Newbie

Post by King Jacku » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:55 pm

Gotta be honest, I'm really not feeling this art style either. I don't understand why they couldn't put Shida or Takahashi as the character designer/animation supervisor? It's obvious those 2 are the best Dragonball has to offer at the moment when it comes to the art.

Very disappointed at the moment since I was extremely hyped for this movie, but I'll wait till I see more footage. Maybe it's just this scene where Goku looks weird.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:20 pm

King Jacku wrote:Gotta be honest, I'm really not feeling this art style either. I don't understand why they couldn't put Shida or Takahashi as the character designer/animation supervisor? It's obvious those 2 are the best Dragonball has to offer at the moment when it comes to the art.

Very disappointed at the moment since I was extremely hyped for this movie, but I'll wait till I see more footage. Maybe it's just this scene where Goku looks weird.
Shida doesn't want to be anything more than a storyboard artist and animator. Takahashi's better off as an animator because his designs would be a pain in the ass to animate. The point of this movie is to emphasize the battles, that is not something you can do with overly complex designs.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:34 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Amir wrote:
Asura wrote:
It's just more detail that's completely missing. Look at your hands in real life, you have lines on them. Even the Namek-era designs, which people keep comparing this to, have more detailed linework and shading than this.

I'll reserve full judgement until I see more than just this tiny teaser and the one promo picture, but honestly it seems like the only point I hear anyone ever say about this new art style is that it's "incredibly flexible" and "animation friendly". That's all I hear, the same two things over and over and over again. It's like everyone is more excited about what other animators can do with these designs in terms of changing them to suit their art style. Imagine if we just had one of those other animators doing the design to begin with instead :think:.

I think what also makes this teaser trailer look worse than it really is (which is why I liked the first promo picture we got more than this teaser) is the terrible looking background that completely clashes with the art style of the characters. The background itself is gorgeous, but what makes it terrible is how bad it clashes. Just look at this, you have a completely flat, undetailed character with almost literally zero shading (aside from a few very, very simplistic small areas near his armpits, boots, belt, and neck) against a very detailed and shaded background with a light source (that the character isn't even getting affected by). He honestly looks photoshopped in.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:17 pm

Asura wrote:The background itself is gorgeous, but what makes it terrible is how bad it clashes. Just look at this, you have a completely flat, undetailed character with almost literally zero shading (aside from a few very, very simplistic small areas near his armpits, boots, belt, and neck) against a very detailed and shaded background with a light source (that the character isn't even getting affected by). He honestly looks photoshopped in.
That's what I was talking when comparing this situation with a ps1 game with a prerendered background

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:26 pm

cuartas wrote:
Asura wrote:The background itself is gorgeous, but what makes it terrible is how bad it clashes. Just look at this, you have a completely flat, undetailed character with almost literally zero shading (aside from a few very, very simplistic small areas near his armpits, boots, belt, and neck) against a very detailed and shaded background with a light source (that the character isn't even getting affected by). He honestly looks photoshopped in.
That's what I was talking when comparing this situation with a ps1 game with a prerendered background
Would it really look any better with Yammy designs for Takahashi designs? This sounds more like a problem of the background being too realistic for how DB looks in general.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:29 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
cuartas wrote:
Would it really look any better with Yammy designs for Takahashi designs? This sounds more like a problem of the background being too realistic for how DB looks in general.
At least they have some sort of work with the lightning, Takahashi and Shida even more

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:45 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
King Jacku wrote:Gotta be honest, I'm really not feeling this art style either. I don't understand why they couldn't put Shida or Takahashi as the character designer/animation supervisor? It's obvious those 2 are the best Dragonball has to offer at the moment when it comes to the art.

Shida doesn't want to be anything more than a storyboard artist and animator. Takahashi's better off as an animator because his designs would be a pain in the ass to animate. The point of this movie is to emphasize the battles, that is not something you can do with overly complex designs.
That's a so true! Takahashi's designs and artwork wouldn't work if they want to move forward and evolve the character designs. It makes it seem like they don't want to move on. Plus, it probably would take longer to animate the whole movie the way Takahashi does it.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:03 pm

Yep, the eternal animation friendly discussion.
I'm wondering, isn't this trend doing any damage to the industry? at least is doing it to the manga industry, forcing their creators to make ultra simpler characters in order to be considered to become an anime and such.

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:13 pm

cuartas wrote:Yep, the eternal animation friendly discussion.
I'm wondering, isn't this trend doing any damage to the industry? at least is doing it to the manga industry, forcing their creators to make ultra simpler characters in order to be considered to become an anime and such.
Could you give some examples?

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:28 pm

Firebolt wrote:
Could you give some examples?
Nobuteri Yuki is an old but resonating case

dnavenom
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dnavenom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:30 pm

I`m starting to think that TOEI have no idea how to continue. I honestly fear another OnePieceXDB mix. Those lines almost look inked by hand to me :) Maybe only the color is added digitally? I have to agree that the background doesn`t mix with the actual animation of the characters. Does anyone have any info what`s happening there and why are these mixed signals coming from them. The only thing I like is the unicolor hair. Who the f shaded the black hair so absurdly...Probably Yamamuro trying to interpret Toriyama better again. Why does everyone want to change this anime, can`t they just make Buu arc animation with a GOOD new story?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:34 pm

How would it be doing damage to the manga industry? Managaka's draw their manga in their own style, they don't necessarily need to consider what style they draw for an anime adaptation, since its the job of the anime staff to adapt their art-style to screen.

For example, the art for Attack On Titan manga isn't designed to be used for the anime, which the reason why the look for the show was overhauled from the manga.

Also, JoJo's anybody?