Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:30 pm

kidhero1000 wrote:Hopefully this is a 1 and done and we get the superior Yamamuro designs if the series returns.

I like Yamamuro's style too, but this would not be the way to express that opinion if you want to be taken seriously. I do have my own issues with consistency in the trailer and I feel that everyone's design except Goku are just fine. However, remember, Yamamuro stepped away on his own to work on small DB projects. If he does return for a new series, that would make me confused as well. Unless Shintani or another suitable candidate rejects the offer and Toei needs someone capable of that role for a series, I don't see that happening. I think small DB projects is perfect for Yam, he's done more than enough for the series for years now, they should be confident enough to bring out fresh meat and not have to rely on him. Though, having him return to do some KA on an episode of a series at some point, that would be great.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:21 am

Oh boy... #72. After that trailer the flaws of the old designs stick out so much more. Yikes. So many shots in the episode could have looked good yet ruined by the designs. I genuinely want to know what Yamamuro was thinking when he decided to add all these highlights on base hair.

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:46 am

kidhero1000 wrote:Hopefully this is a 1 and done and we get the superior Yamamuro designs if the series returns.
Hey, NO
kill me

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:32 am

DainIronfoot wrote:

I like Yamamuro's style too, but this would not be the way to express that opinion if you want to be taken seriously. I do have my own issues with consistency in the trailer and I feel that everyone's design except Goku are just fine. However, remember, Yamamuro stepped away on his own to work on small DB projects. If he does return for a new series, that would make me confused as well. Unless Shintani or another suitable candidate rejects the offer and Toei needs someone capable of that role for a series, I don't see that happening. I think small DB projects is perfect for Yam, he's done more than enough for the series for years now, they should be confident enough to bring out fresh meat and not have to rely on him. Though, having him return to do some KA on an episode of a series at some point, that would be great.
I think that Heroes is the perfect place for Yamamuro. He can make it nice and pretty for the kids and not work extremely hard about it friendly for animators. I don't think that they will bring to do KA unless they have to.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:27 pm

I don't think Yamamuro is done for good, but I think this movie might be a hint that he would be as much active on the franchise anymore.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:42 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Oh boy... #72. After that trailer the flaws of the old designs stick out so much more. Yikes. So many shots in the episode could have looked good yet ruined by the designs. I genuinely want to know what Yamamuro was thinking when he decided to add all these highlights on base hair.
More than anything, you can thank Tate for that. Karasawa did a good job in the first part, but the second part totally crumble down once Tate took the reins and gave everyone episode 5 vibes. The characters designs are not a excuse, because no other episode after FT Trunks arc looked as bad as episode 72 second part.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:36 am

Good promo artisits ToP art from July's Metallic Sheet (taking over from shit promo artist):
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Good promo artist taking over cardass too:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:21 pm

Anyone knows where Hatano Morio (FT Trunks arc director) went?
I don't hear anything about him since then.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:18 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Anyone knows where Hatano Morio (FT Trunks arc director) went?
I don't hear anything about him since then.
Think he recently worked on either Kitaro or Precure...

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:04 am

If the series does come back, I really hope it doesn't look like 2 plastic action figures taking turns hitting each other like the way Super did.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:25 pm

Love that this unknown artist is called the "Good Promo Artist" lol.

Curious how he tackles the new Shintani designs down the line.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:59 am

supersaiyanZero wrote:If the series does come back, I really hope it doesn't look like 2 plastic action figures taking turns hitting each other like the way Super did.
I mean, we have a new character designer, and the producers of the show definitely made it sound like this was going to be a permanent visual change for the franchise, not to mention how the new art style is spreading through promotional material pretty quickly. With this in mind, I don't think that will necessarily be a problem.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:21 am

Even if its the 20th Movie and they want to make it special, it would be ridiculous make a big deal of the new designs, have Toriyama providing feedback to all of them, and then after this movie go back to Yamamuro's designs.

I could only see that happen if the new designs turn out to not be popular, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:15 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Love that this unknown artist is called the "Good Promo Artist" lol.

Curious how he tackles the new Shintani designs down the line.
I believe this is them:
Good promo artist has also been promoted to doing the Ichiban Kuji art from this months DBSxDBL:
Good promo artist has also taken over doing stationery art:
Comparison to shit promo artist doing a piece of art for a desk mat last August:
This December should be good, as we have the next of Shikishi Art from Bandai Candy as well as the movie Ichiban Kuji having 10 sets of posters, a slew of art canvases and small plates. If good promo artist and or Shintani do these should be a great month of art!

However shit promo artist is still kicking around, here some from this months Wafer Cards:
These speak for themselves really. /:

NormalHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NormalHero » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:05 pm

this is why i don't like the "pure" shintani style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULabjDuCDGE

for me this, and only this is the perfect db style.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:42 am

NormalHero wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:05 pm this is why i don't like the "pure" shintani style.

Posting a video showing a style you prefer doesn't really qualify why you dislike something...

NormalHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NormalHero » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:50 am

JazzMazz wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:42 am
NormalHero wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:05 pm this is why i don't like the "pure" shintani style.

Posting a video showing a style you prefer doesn't really qualify why you dislike something...
i don't believe i really need to qualify anything, it's a my opinion. I don't visually like how shintani semplifies the character design. For me it's a step back compared to what we had in buu's saga but, at the same time, a step ahead compared to what we had in super.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:31 pm

Man, look to that Gogeta... What a huge forehead :o
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:16 pm

After watching Super episode 106 dubbed last night, I must say, Tsuji almost erased Karasawa entirely. If it wasn't for Karasawa's hands, shading, and effects in his half, I probably wouldn't have known he was even on the episode before checking the staff list. Karasawa's initial art was that bad eh?

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:17 am

Since its been a while, I think it would be good to breakdown where some of the animators have gone since the shows finale.

A lot of notable animators, such as Atsushi Nikaido, Hiroyuki Itai, Shuuichiro Manabe and Naoki Tate, did large contributions for the Broly movie, however, unlike animators such as Futoshi Higashide and Yuichi Karasawa, they haven't really been seen on projects since. Futoshi Higashide storyboarded and solo animated an episode of Golden Kamuy and has since been seen floating around Kitaro. Likewise, Karasawa has also been spotted doing some key animation on episodes in Kitaro, even contributing a seen to the climax episode of a key arc.

Kenji Miuma after Super became an animation supervisor on Huggto Precure(apparently he wasn't particularly noteworthy though).

Yoshitaka Yashima became an animation supervisor on Kitaro, where his output, though not exemplary, has been pretty consistent, with more finesse in his action scenes on that show than what was shown in Super. He even animated this nice little highlight in an episode he solo key animated.

Masahiro Shimanuki and Tu Yong Ce moved to One Piece, where the formers contributions have been solid enough to land him being the animation supervisor for the best animated episode of the show in 870(although its worth noting that it really wasn't the best animated episode because of him). He even did a fairly OK scene in an earlier episode.

Tu has worked on both One Piece and Pokémon Sun and Moon, however, I would say his work on One Piece is where his shown true signs of growth. After becoming KA for One Piece, his since become one of the strongest regular animators on the show, not only handling a huge number of cuts on the episodes he works on(usually animating the overwhelming majority of action in an episode), but also animating them to fairly solid standard, and a standard that's generally been improving with each major contribution. This sort of culminated in his huge contributions to in the major fight climax episode 870. His latest contribution to the show to date was in 893, where he animated 80 cuts and handled a fair few fairly solid pieces of action. Overall, definitely one of the animators to become more active and to noticeably improve on themselves since Super. As a One Piece fan, his seriously been one to watch out for nowadays.

Yukihiro Kitano has been a regular on Heroes, animating fairly mundane though competent enough action sequences and Mikayo Tsuji(after Broly), moved to Heroes, and is presumed to have done a fairly impressive bit of action.

Director wise, the crew has sort of dispersed, aside from working on Broly, Masato Mitsuka went on to direct a few episodes of Kitaro, Kazuya Karsawa is doing storyboards for Heroes oddly enough, Takahiro Imamura worked on a few One Piece episodes, but I don't know what his really done since, and Nagamine, the lad, became the series director of One Piece(that's why you'll notice in Tu's episode 893 clip the presence of a line filter and that its vastly aesthetically different from the 870 clips) and his sort of modernized that show in a similar way he did Super.

Thats just a few I remember from the top of my head, if anyone wants to add, correct or elaborate on where other staff members from Super have gone that I have overlooked, feel welcome to add.